Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The War of the Worlds 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
8 hrs ago
Mr. Wong Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
8 hrs ago
Enter the Video Store: Empire of Screams (Blu-ray)
$70.59
1 day ago
The Great Train Robbery (Blu-ray)
$12.49
8 hrs ago
Avatar: The Way of Water 3D (Blu-ray)
$31.49
8 hrs ago
The Bridges at Toko-Ri (Blu-ray)
$12.49
8 hrs ago
Hackers 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
1 day ago
A Douglas Fairbanks Double Feature: Robin Hood / The Black Pirate (Blu-ray)
$17.99
8 hrs ago
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Sherlock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Ronin 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Rome: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$25.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 07-26-2022, 06:55 PM   #37461
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2007

I'll grab Gorf, you aren't the first one to recommend it and it's a Vertical game.

I think Journey is too and it looks like cheesy fun.
Old 07-26-2022, 07:23 PM   #37462
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
All my physical media (CD, DVD, D-Theater and Blu-ray) is in media databases*. Do not have any IPTV media (Vudu, MA, Prime, iTunes, Google) in a database so I have no idea if I have lost access to any content. I really doubt most that have IPTV media keep a database of their content.
My Main Streaming Providers are Prime, MA, Vudu, and I can access Google, Disney+, Hulu, Peacock, Paramount+, and YouTube. My Movie and TV Show Collection is mainly Vudu with access in Prime too. I also have IPTV with a DVR where we can record Movies and TV Shows like TCM, IFC, and Hallmark. It has a big enough storage to record our Movies and TV Shows, but after watching we delete them. I haven't lost anything, only changes are upgrade in Quality!
Old 07-26-2022, 07:32 PM   #37463
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
My Main Streaming Providers are Prime, MA, Vudu, and I can access Google, Disney+, Hulu, Peacock, Paramount+, and YouTube. My Movie and TV Show Collection is mainly Vudu with access in Prime too. I also have IPTV with a DVR where we can record Movies and TV Shows like TCM, IFC, and Hallmark. It has a big enough storage to record our Movies and TV Shows, but after watching we delete them. I haven't lost anything, only changes are upgrade in Quality!
In your dreams.

Don't forget the real changes: increases in subscription streaming costs and internet service. Both will only keep rising while the pq/aq quality mostly stays the same.
Thanks given by:
Ender14 (07-26-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 08:01 PM   #37464
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2009

Rented and ended up keeping Elden Ring for the PS5 from GameFly. I have the 4K of Species coming from them, as well. I received the BD of Pleasure this morning from Amazon and my copy of Gamer 4K arrived yesterday and that one is only a 4K SDR, so that was strange.

Some of my press friends saw PREY last night in theaters (the press got theater screenings! basterds!) and every single one of them says it is an awesome film. It's violent, brutal, and quite vicious. Can't wait!
Thanks given by:
Better in Blu (07-26-2022), Ender14 (07-26-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 09:05 PM   #37465
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
Some of my press friends saw PREY last night in theaters (the press got theater screenings! basterds!) and every single one of them says it is an awesome film. It's violent, brutal, and quite vicious. Can't wait!
Prey.jpg

It's from the Predator Movies, so if you have Hulu you can watch it on Aug 5th. I love those Movies....I'll be watching it!
Old 07-26-2022, 10:46 PM   #37466
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2009

Quote:
Attachment 279233

It's from the Predator Movies, so if you have Hulu you can watch it on Aug 5th. I love those Movies....I'll be watching it!

Yeah, but it would have been awesome if this had gotten a theatrical release, as well.
Old 07-27-2022, 01:25 AM   #37467
Power Member

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
Rented and ended up keeping Elden Ring for the PS5 from GameFly. I have the 4K of Species coming from them, as well. I received the BD of Pleasure this morning from Amazon and my copy of Gamer 4K arrived yesterday and that one is only a 4K SDR, so that was strange.

Hopefully it makes up for The Predator.
Old 07-27-2022, 02:50 PM   #37468
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
only changes are upgrade in Quality!
As stated several times before, there is no new video codecs in wide use. H.262, H.264 and H.265 have been with us for sometime. AV1 is on some newer hardware but has no advantage over H.265 in terms of picture quality, it supposedly has less fees in order to use. H.266 (VVC) can out preform those mentioned but probably will be limited to new 8K devices and displays.

As posted before most IPTV (streaming) providers use adaptive streaming meaning each show/movie is segmented encoded with each segment at different bit rates. IOW, each title can and does play at different quality levels, all dependent on connection conditions between the CDN and client device. There has been some speed improvements in some areas and ISPís so some may see improvements in picture quality. That improvement is because they can now see what was available all along. OTOH, some content providers have reduced the bit rate of their encodes because they believe most viewers will not notice the degradation.

If IPTV picture quality is your major concern then why do you not have an Apple TV4K? Movies via iTunes can and does have data rates that exceed Vudu, Prime, Google and MA when played via the ATV4K. Will need a Mac (with Monterey) to install Developer HUD via Xcode if you wish to see the diagnostic data. And take it from me, Developer HUD is a PITA to keep on the ATV4K.

HUD looks like this:

[Show spoiler]

Thanks given by:
Ender14 (07-27-2022), Vilya (07-27-2022)
Old 07-27-2022, 03:14 PM   #37469
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
There has been some speed improvements in some areas and ISPís so some may see improvements in picture quality. That improvement is because they can now see what was available all along.
Two sentences that sum it all up. Streaming itself has not improved, but some ISP's have.

Streaming services have used codec improvements to reduce bitrates and maintain existing levels of quality in order to save money. They have not sought to improve quality, but only to improve their bottom line.
Old 07-27-2022, 03:56 PM   #37470
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Two sentences that sum it all up. Streaming itself has not improved, but some ISP's have.

Streaming services have used codec improvements to reduce bitrates and maintain existing levels of quality in order to save money. They have not sought to improve quality, but only to improve their bottom line.
Never mind this nonsense. Have you watched The Wicker Man yet?
Thanks given by:
bhampton (07-27-2022), Vilya (07-27-2022)
Old 07-27-2022, 05:14 PM   #37471
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:

Streaming was created for the masses who couldn't care less about AV quality. They never have. They never will. All they want is convience and lots of content
Thanks given by:
bhampton (07-27-2022), Steedeel (07-27-2022)
Old 07-27-2022, 05:35 PM   #37472
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Never mind this nonsense. Have you watched The Wicker Man yet?
I have been rebuilding a computer since Friday and now I am installing 1000 pieces of software one by one. I plan to do some gaming later to test the stability of this new contraption.

The Wicker Man will just have to wait a little bit longer. I can only obsess about one thing at a time; I gotta stay focused.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (07-27-2022)
Old 07-27-2022, 05:37 PM   #37473
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
Streaming was created for the masses who couldn't care less about AV quality. They never have. They never will. All they want is convience and lots of content
Streaming has always been the McDonald's Happy Meal of home entertainment. Cheap, tasty, and convenient, but with ingredients of questionable quality.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (07-27-2022), Steedeel (07-27-2022)
Old 07-27-2022, 06:14 PM   #37474
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Streaming has always been the McDonald's Happy Meal of home entertainment. Cheap, tasty, and convenient, but with ingredients of questionable quality.
I see it as the All You Can Eat Chinese Buffet for $9.99. Lots of choices. Quality: acceptable.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (07-27-2022), Vilya (07-27-2022)
Old 07-27-2022, 07:07 PM   #37475
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
Well IMO my Streaming Quality has improved because of the way I access my ISP. They provide a Gigabit Switch that is Fiber Fed, with Structured Ethernet for IPTV STB's and straight Streaming Port access for the Sony UHD TV and TCL UHD TV. The only thing I regret is the lack of Gigabit Ports on the new 2022 UHD TV's. Hopefully Sony will fix their mistake and upgrade their Ethernet Ports to Gigabit, especially for their New Bravia Core Streaming Service!
Old 07-27-2022, 07:35 PM   #37476
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Well IMO my Streaming Quality has improved because of the way I access my ISP. They provide a Gigabit Switch that is Fiber Fed, with Structured Ethernet for IPTV STB's and straight Streaming Port access for the Sony UHD TV and TCL UHD TV. The only thing I regret is the lack of Gigabit Ports on the new 2022 UHD TV's. Hopefully Sony will fix their mistake and upgrade their Ethernet Ports to Gigabit, especially for their New Bravia Core Streaming Service!
Go with whatever you need to tell yourself. If you're happy, then you're happy. Delirious even.

Lack of a gigabit port is not just "Sony's mistake" as none of the TV manufacturers offer it and all of these TV makers know what the rest of us have always known: most people connect their TVs wirelessly. And people are damn happy with the results, too, despite all of your bluster to the contrary. The TV makers know that they do not need to spend money upgrading a port that most of their customers do not care about.
Thanks given by:
Ender14 (07-27-2022), Lee A Stewart (07-27-2022)
Old 07-27-2022, 07:50 PM   #37477
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2009
Silicon Valley - where you never run out of toys!

Recently there was news about the long delayed Xfinity streaming app being available for tvOS (Apple TV HD/4K) owners, well today Comcast that is the parent company of Sky (UK) released the Sky Go app for tVOS also, which meant you use the Apple TV app rather then a set-top -box also for UK community.

see https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/sky-go...atform=appleTV

https://twitter.com/nikolajht/status...go-apple-tv%2F
Old 07-27-2022, 11:09 PM   #37478
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2009

GameFly sent me the Species 4K disc, so will watch that pretty soon. Been grinding it out on Elden Ring these last few days.
Old 07-27-2022, 11:30 PM   #37479
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Recently there was news about the long delayed Xfinity streaming app being available for tvOS (Apple TV HD/4K) owners, well today Comcast that is the parent company of Sky (UK) released the Sky Go app for tVOS also, which meant you use the Apple TV app rather then a set-top -box also for UK community.

see https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/sky-go...atform=appleTV

https://twitter.com/nikolajht/status...go-apple-tv%2F
I donít see the point. I subscribe to Sky but you can also get it built into new Sky televisions or subscribe to Now tv, which is a monthly subscription service featuring all the sky stuff. Also, streaming sticks will be available this year I believe. Sky Go is only really useful for mobile and it seems irrelevant to use on Apple TV or via their OS unless you are watching on a tablet or iPhone. Quality is poor compared to the regular Sky service also.
Old 07-28-2022, 03:27 PM   #37480
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Well IMO my Streaming Quality has improved because of the way I access my ISP. They provide a Gigabit Switch that is Fiber Fed, with Structured Ethernet for IPTV STB's and straight Streaming Port access for the Sony UHD TV and TCL UHD TV.
What rock have you been under? 100Base-T has been available since 1995, 802.11g has been available since 2003 so personal LAN with 100 Mbps wired and 54 Mbps wireless has been available for many years. Both can handle the data rates of all the SVOD, AVOD and digital lockers for 1 (or more) stream. As you can see my TCL TV, connected wireless, shows a speed of 97 Mbps. Several times the speed needed for streaming.

Quote:
The only thing I regret is the lack of Gigabit Ports on the new 2022 UHD TV's. Hopefully Sony will fix their mistake and upgrade their Ethernet Ports to Gigabit, especially for their New Bravia Core Streaming Service!
For those that use it a 100Base-T port will suffice just fine for 99% of the users.

[Show spoiler]
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology