Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Sisu 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.36
18 hrs ago
Violet Evergarden: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$37.66
1 day ago
Needful Things 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49
1 day ago
Clint Eastwood: The Universal Pictures 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.98
1 day ago
Avatar: The Way of Water 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
1 day ago
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$48.82
1 day ago
Miami Vice: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$28.99
1 day ago
Peacemaker: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$16.98
21 hrs ago
Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.95

Game of Thrones: The Complete Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$119.99
21 hrs ago
Quantum Leap: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$28.99
1 day ago
Back to the Future: The Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.27
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 07-01-2018, 09:09 AM   #9721
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post
Lately, Amazon and other stores are slowing down or limiting the numbers of physical disc purchases from distributors, or stopped buying discs. When they sell out of the discs, there’s a high chance that they won’t be reordered. The retail stores including Amazon know that physical media is on the way out.
I see you have bet everything on Itunes? So you have invested in Digital HD, a format that doesn’t seem to be showing much growth. It was only up single digits last year and streaming subscriptions are proving waaaaaay more popular. You face the prospect of having incomplete collections as the industry shifts to a streaming model. For example, if you like the Rocky films, Creed 3 may be subscription only and exclusive to a particular company. Same for tv shows. That is the way digital isAll just my opinion, but my point is Digital HD is a placeholder format and ironically you would be better off with disc.

By the way, I’m pretty sure some American stores have just INCREASED their 4K Blu-ray stock. Do some research.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:11 AM   #9722
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
So you're saying Amazon's new business model is to not stock things that sell well? It doesn't matter what the item is if it sells out that means there is demand and a business should buy more to fill that demand. The idea that Amazon is now going to treat physical media different than how every other business sells every other product is absurd.

Ordering more copies of The Matrix on 4K Blu-ray because it has sold out is no different than ordering more Lay's potato chips because they've sold out. As long as a product continues to sell stores will keep stocking it.
When it states only 1 in stock, more on the way, it must be referring to magic pixie dust!
Old 07-01-2018, 09:40 AM   #9723
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2017
England

Quote:
Lately, Amazon and other stores are slowing down or limiting the numbers of physical disc purchases from distributors, or stopped buying discs. When they sell out of the discs, thereís a high chance that they wonít be reordered. The retail stores including Amazon know that physical media is on the way out.
I find that very strange indeed. I used to work in retailing (photographic) when I was younger and part of my duties was to monitor stock levels and re-order as necessary. Anything that sold well, then it was in our interest to make sure we kept plenty of stock in the shop. After all, as with any other retailer the aim of a business is to make a profit, so it's hard to see why Amazon wouldn't stock discs and miss out on the opportunity to make money while the demand for them is still there.
Thanks given by:
dublinbluray108 (07-02-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 10:01 AM   #9724
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV19 View Post
I find that very strange indeed. I used to work in retailing (photographic) when I was younger and part of my duties was to monitor stock levels and re-order as necessary. Anything that sold well, then it was in our interest to make sure we kept plenty of stock in the shop. After all, as with any other retailer the aim of a business is to make a profit, so it's hard to see why Amazon wouldn't stock discs and miss out on the opportunity to make money while the demand for them is still there.
I think Kage is getting mixed up with Amazon exclusives. Some discs are only available to Prime customers unless you go through third party sellers. It’s a business decision to boost Prime customers imo, nothing else.

Last edited by Steedeel; 07-01-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Thanks given by:
CV19 (07-01-2018), dublinbluray108 (07-02-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 10:20 AM   #9725
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2017
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
I think Kage is getting mixed up with Amazon exclusives. Some discs are only available to Prime unless you go through third party sellers. Itís a business decision to boost Prime customers imo, nothing else.
Oh I see, fair enough. Yes I noticed in previous purchases that some titles do come up as being only available to Prime customers. When that happens, I just buy that title elsewhere.
Thanks given by:
dublinbluray108 (07-02-2018), Steedeel (07-01-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 11:13 AM   #9726
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2010
Mississippi

June 30 was the last day Best Buy sells CD's. Because of the popularity of digital downloads and streaming, the physical disk is being phased out. Reports are going out that Target is next to phase out Music CD's.

I'm afraid we are seeing the early stages of ALL physical media being phased out. Today, it's CD's, tomorrow....DVD'S and Bluray's.

This truly breaks my heart.

http://loudwire.com/today-is-the-las...s-at-best-buy/
Old 07-01-2018, 11:46 AM   #9727
Expert Member

Jun 2016
Wisconsin

Quote:
Lately, Amazon and other stores are slowing down or limiting the numbers of physical disc purchases from distributors, or stopped buying discs. When they sell out of the discs, thereís a high chance that they wonít be reordered. The retail stores including Amazon know that physical media is on the way out.
Which movies has this happened with?
Old 07-01-2018, 12:24 PM   #9728
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWayFilms View Post
June 30 was the last day Best Buy sells CD's. Because of the popularity of digital downloads and streaming, the physical disk is being phased out. Reports are going out that Target is next to phase out Music CD's.

I'm afraid we are seeing the early stages of ALL physical media being phased out. Today, it's CD's, tomorrow....DVD'S and Bluray's.

You are completely wrong. Online sales have killed stores, thatís all that is happening here.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:46 PM   #9729
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWayFilms View Post

Have you seen the brand new ad for Best Buy this week? On page 14, they are having a sale on compact discs- in store only. The sale starts today, July 1st.

https://deals.bestbuy.com/?category=movies+amp+music2

Compact discs are still easy to obtain. New cds are still being released. Like with movies, the best selection is found online. Available online means it is still available.

Physical media is not being "phased out," you can find and buy it in both stores and online effortlessly. Every week sees more new titles being released, including catalog titles and some relatively obscure oddities, too.

There is nothing to fear. Physical media (video content) still accounts for approximately one fifth to one quarter of all home entertainment spending.

Last edited by Vilya; 07-01-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:53 PM   #9730
Special Member

Nov 2010
Houston, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Have you seen the brand new ad for Best Buy this week? On page 14, they are having a sale on compact discs- in store only.

Compact discs are still easy to obtain. Like with movies, the best selection is found online. Available online means it is still available.

Physical media is not being "phased out," you can find and buy it in both stores and online effortlessly. Every week sees more new titles being released, including catalog titles and some relatively obscure oddities, too.

There is nothing to fear. Physical media (video content) still accounts for approximately one fifth to one quarter of all home entertainment spending.
According to Blu-ray member Tyrok (who works at Best Buy), that sale is just until they eventually send back all the CD stock:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=96

According to him, the only CD's Best Buy will have now will be the $5.99 CD bin.

(It was announced months ago that Best Buy was getting rid of CD's in store. But at least they are keeping the small $5.99 bin of CD's)
Old 07-01-2018, 02:59 PM   #9731
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
I think Kage is getting mixed up with Amazon exclusives. Some discs are only available to Prime customers unless you go through third party sellers. Itís a business decision to boost Prime customers imo, nothing else.
Amazon exclusivity is only temporary and it does not adversely affect how they maintain stock levels on the products they sell. Amazon exclusives are almost always on popular items, too; the very type of merchandise that a retailer wants to have in stock.

Speaking of which, my Amazon Prime membership renewed today; there just went $119.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (07-01-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 03:05 PM   #9732
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin44 View Post
According to Blu-ray member Tyrok (who works at Best Buy), that sale is just until they eventually send back all the CD stock:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=96

According to him, the only CD's Best Buy will have now will be the $5.99 CD bin.

(It was announced months ago that Best Buy was getting rid of CD's in store. But at least they are keeping the small $5.99 bin of CD's)
I am aware of Best Buy's decision. I just enjoyed the irony of them having a cd sale, in store only no less, beginning a day after forum member OneWayFilms said June 30th was "the last day Best Buy sells CD's."

Best Buy still sells cds; even if they do stop selling most of them in store, they are continuing to sell them online.

Last edited by Vilya; 07-01-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:09 PM   #9733
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
You are completely wrong. Online sales have killed stores, thatís all that is happening here.
Agreed. Been buying via mail order since the mid 80's, started with Laserdisc from a company called The Laserís Edge, they sent out a catalog every month. Switched to a company called Digital Eyes in the 90's then to Amazon for DVDís when they came online. Can not remember where I purchased all my D-VHS D-Theater tapes from but it was not local.

For me, the box stores made/make the buying of software difficult, they intermingle BD's and DVD's (real dumb) and do not lay them out in alphabetical order. So ordering online is much easier to find the title(s) of interest, often times cheaper and delivered to my mailbox/door. What more could one want .
Thanks given by:
Ender14 (07-02-2018), Steedeel (07-01-2018), Vilya (07-01-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 03:17 PM   #9734
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Agreed. Been buying via mail order since the mid 80's, started with Laserdisc from a company called The Laserís Edge, they sent out a catalog every month. Switched to a company called Digital Eyes in the 90's then to Amazon for DVDís when they came online. Can not remember where I purchased all my D-VHS D-Theater tapes from but it was not local.

For me, the box stores made/make the buying of software difficult, they intermingle BD's and DVD's (real dumb) and do not lay them out in alphabetical order. So ordering online is much easier to find the title(s) of interest, often times cheaper and delivered to my mailbox/door. What more could one want .
I buy a batch (50) films for the following year in December. All online, all delivered within days.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:17 PM   #9735
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Agreed. Been buying via mail order since the mid 80's, started with Laserdisc from a company called The Laser’s Edge, they sent out a catalog every month. Switched to a company called Digital Eyes in the 90's then to Amazon for DVD’s when they came online. Can not remember where I purchased all my D-VHS D-Theater tapes from but it was not local.

I love the convenience of shopping online and home delivery. Unparalleled selection, competitive prices, and online shopping is the most efficient use of my shopping time. I can compare availability and prices across multiple stores from the comfort of my cushy chair while sipping on a tasty beverage.

I am getting ready to do some shopping right now. My mouse is "Primed" and ready.

Last edited by Vilya; 07-01-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:18 PM   #9736
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Amazon exclusivity is only temporary and it does not adversely affect how they maintain stock levels on the products they sell. Amazon exclusives are almost always on popular items, too; the very type of merchandise that a retailer wants to have in stock.

Speaking of which, my Amazon Prime membership renewed today; there just went $119.
Iím waiting until Black Friday for a cheaper Prime offering.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:21 PM   #9737
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
I’m waiting until Black Friday for a cheaper Prime offering.
I have to renew now as I have a couple of people who share my Prime membership shipping benefits. If I were to cancel and join again later, I could not re-add them to my account without also agreeing to share our payment information with each other.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (07-01-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 04:46 PM   #9738
Power Member

Feb 2010

Quote:

100% agree. The only time I buy a title in store if it is a Steelbook or some sort of exclusive, as I have had some show up damaged in transit when I ordered online. For music however, I still will occasionally spend some time in a local record store called Euclid Records combing through used CDs and new vinyl releases as there is a bit of nostalgia involved with the process. I avoid buying any vinyl online during the hotter months since that can be a recipe for disaster with warping.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:02 PM   #9739
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2010
Mississippi

Quote:
Quote:
Have you seen the brand new ad for Best Buy this week? On page 14, they are having a sale on compact discs- in store only. The sale starts today, July 1st.

Compact discs are still easy to obtain. New cds are still being released. Like with movies, the best selection is found online. Available online means it is still available.

Quote:
I am aware of Best Buy's decision. I just enjoyed the irony of them having a cd sale, in store only no less, beginning a day after forum member OneWayFilms said June 30th was "the last day Best Buy sells CD's."

Best Buy still sells cds; even if they do stop selling most of them in store, they are continuing to sell them online.

I'm so sorry if I posted wrong information. I read it here in this article that says:

Best Buy announced in February that they would cease selling compact discs in their stores this summer. Today, June 30, is the final day you will be able to purchase CDs from the retailer. It should be noted, however, that vinyl will continue to be supplied.

The move comes as streaming platforms are continuing to change the structure of the music industry. At the mid-year point in 2017, it was revealed that streaming services accounted for 62 percent of the total market. Physical sales, on the other hand, accounted for only 16 percent of the overall revenues.

This is truly the beginning of the end of an era. For music fans of the last few decades, purchasing CDs is ingrained in our systems. Although the convenience of streaming has essentially eliminated the need for physical copies of music, experiences such as waiting outside stores at midnight for your favorite band's new album to be released on shelves will be forgotten.

Here it is. http://loudwire.com/today-is-the-las...s-at-best-buy/

I was just relaying the information and going by what it said.
Thanks given by:
flyry (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 03:28 PM   #9740
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

So are they only pulling them from physical stores? I still see CDs listed on their website.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology