Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Angel Has Fallen 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96
1 hr ago
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
12 hrs ago
Man of Steel 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96
1 hr ago
Spider-Man Limited Edition 4K Collection (Blu-ray)
$43.71
2 hrs ago
1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.96
1 hr ago
Queen & Slim 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
17 hrs ago
The Gentlemen 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
22 hrs ago
Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

The Hunt for Red October 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Deepwater Horizon 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 01-19-2020, 10:40 PM   #641
Power Member

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
FWIW, the resolution on the 4K disc smokes the BD. Not that that means anything to yourself, but worth mentioning.
Yeah, I said at times it looked great and other times looked soft (mostly in the edges, not the grain pattern). I figured it was more to do with how it was shot.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:30 AM   #642
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Dat anamorphic juju is strong with this one re: the softness at the periphery.
Thanks given by:
morphinapg (01-20-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 06:03 PM   #643
Banned

Jun 2011
North Hollywood, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
I watched this movie again tonight, for the first time since I came up with my HDR scoring method. I also watched this using my x700's HDR10-to-DV mode, which I've been doing a lot recently because I feel the DV tonemapping works a lot better for most movies than the HDR10 tonemapping on this TV. I want to note that I wasn't able to see the banding in that one scene that's been mentioned a few times in here. Black levels weren't perfect, but they were solid enough through most of the movie and shadows looked to have some added depth as well. Highlights were difficult to grade, because they weren't always having that characteristic HDR pop, but they also had a fairly good contrast, brightness, and definition to them. They did pop well in darker scenes though. Overall I think highlights are actually really good here, although they may not always be super obvious if you weren't paying attention to them like I was. Color though, oh my god, color is incredible in this movie. It's not very often that you see WCG being used to the degree that it is with this movie. I loved that. This movie does really stand out with its HDR, especially with the color, but the highlights look very solid and the shadows have some noticeable improvement as well. Resolution was difficult to judge, I think because of the way it was shot, possibly with some soft focus, but I did notice some improvement here and there with that.

This continues to be one of my favorite movies of all time, and I also got to listen to it for the first time with my Atmos setup, and the sound was amazing. I couldn't help but dance along in my chair to the music at times
Are you sure you recommend that? And what TV do you have?
Old 01-26-2020, 07:52 PM   #644
Power Member

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poya View Post
Are you sure you recommend that? And what TV do you have?
I have an LG C6, which I watch in a dark room. On side by side comparisons with the digital copies, the tonemapping between the legitimate DV copies and the "DV converted" version, look particularly close, and DV definitely has better tonemapping than HDR10, even with static metadata. Note that there isn't really a conversion exactly. It's still the same YCbCr values, for example, it's just sent with DV metadata instead, so it triggers the DV tonemapping mode. On my TV that does mean sacrificing grayscale calibration, but the tonemapping in DV is so much better that it's worth it to me.

The player DOES perform a conversion for SDR though, I believe, unless DV has an SDR metadata mode, which is possible. The conversion for that still looks good to me, so I don't typically bother turning it off on the rare chance that I watch a standard Blu-ray, although if I'm concerned about getting a perfect picture I will switch it off for accuracy, as I do have SDR calibrated to a much more accurate position than I was able to do for HDR10.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:30 AM   #645
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Yeah, as I understand it the forced DV is applying its own 'static' tone map in the ST.2084 EOTF, but it just so happens that it may still be a better mapping than whatever 'in-house' methodology x TV is using for HDR10. It also has the benefit of carrying the signal through the 12-bit Dolby chain which can tidy up processing-related banding, as well as performing the mapping in ITP space (converting from YCbCr to ITP then back again) which can also help to clean up chroma-related artefacts. Wouldn't force ST.2084 on SDR though, neither HDR10 or DV as it looks bloody horrible IMO. HLG, on the other hand, can work very nicely with SDR though I'd still never use it for critical viewing as you say.
Thanks given by:
morphinapg (01-27-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 05:39 AM   #646
Power Member

Sep 2013

I'd say the SDR conversion doesn't look too exaggerated, like the fake HDR modes you often see on TVs. It looks almost like what Disney's common HDR grading looks like to me lol. Brighter and a bit more gamma.

It's possible there's not an actual ST2084 conversion happening there though. Is there a profile for DV for SDR content? I could certainly see Dolby having a way to tonemap SDR content to an HDR display as well, since I know the DV tonemapping formulas are actually supposed to be forwards compatible, meaning TVs with capabilities greater than the mastering display, will see some added benefit over what the colorist saw. They could potentially apply that concept to SDR as well I would think. Imagine it working like an HDR10 title with a MaxCLL of 100 nits, just with a different transfer function.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:38 AM   #647

Apr 2019

I bought this for my 72 year old mom who loved musicals growing up in the 50s and 60s and she hated this movie with a passion. She said it had no real story line, just random musical numbers and turned it off before the 30 minute mark. I saw it won Oscars and scored high critical praise. I nearly passed out from boredom trying to watch this, but musicals aren't my thing. My question is...what was the big deal about this movie? I get it that taste is subjective, but maybe a fan of this can tell me what I failed to comprehend. I'm not trolling, just baffled how this was considered good? Also, does anyone want a free copy of this if she doesn't want it?
Old 02-09-2020, 01:48 AM   #648
Power Member

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla360 View Post
I bought this for my 72 year old mom who loved musicals growing up in the 50s and 60s and she hated this movie with a passion. She said it had no real story line, just random musical numbers and turned it off before the 30 minute mark. I saw it won Oscars and scored high critical praise. I nearly passed out from boredom trying to watch this, but musicals aren't my thing. My question is...what was the big deal about this movie? I get it that taste is subjective, but maybe a fan of this can tell me what I failed to comprehend. I'm not trolling, just baffled how this was considered good? Also, does anyone want a free copy of this if she doesn't want it?
How in the world could anybody think it had no story!?

I can understand if you don't like musicals you might not enjoy it, but the music is fantastic, the acting is absolutely brilliant, and the visuals are beautiful. Plus, it had a fairly nontraditional story in that you don't get a "perfect" happy ending, but it's still beautiful in the way they treat character development and resolution. I rewatch this movie nearly every year. It's one of the few movies where I felt every aspect of the filmmaking process was done perfectly. From the script, to the directing, the acting, the music, the visuals, the editing, the production design, etc. It's just basically a flawless movie in my eyes.
Thanks given by:
Bond84 (02-11-2020), colinrgeorge (02-11-2020), Godzilla360 (02-09-2020), HDMan72 (02-11-2020), jchung30 (02-09-2020), UltraMario9 (02-11-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 03:41 AM   #649
Power Member

Jan 2010

Quote:
she should try Cats...
Thanks given by:
Godzilla360 (02-09-2020), morphinapg (02-09-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 02:15 AM   #650

Jun 2009
Chicago, IL

Just FYI, ordered it through Amazon and it did come with a slipcover
Thanks given by:
birdztudio (02-11-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 10:24 AM   #651
Expert Member

Mar 2012
New York

I love the cinematography in this movie. Some brilliant shots.
Thanks given by:
Bond84 (02-11-2020), morphinapg (02-11-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 07:24 PM   #652
Power Member

Feb 2008
Southeastern NC

Quote:
I can easily see how someone who grew up in the golden age of musicals wouldn't really enjoy this.

I was excited to see this but felt like it didn't match the hype. Despite the singing and dancing, this didn't have the spirit of classic musicals. In some ways it is a re-imaging of Hollywood musicals for a new era and will not necessarily appeal to older demographics.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies