Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$89.99
16 hrs ago
1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Sonic the Hedgehog 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99
16 hrs ago
The Hunt for Red October 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.26

Queen & Slim 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Terminator: Dark Fate 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Dark Knight Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$52.99

Superman: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 01-23-2020, 04:17 PM   #401
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaul2 View Post
There is an interview of him from 2000 in which he basically says "we're all going to go digital and it will be so practical and wonderful) and another one from 2006 in which he says he'd die to go back to film.

Elephant Man will be released in UHD in April this year, and I'm curious to see if it'll be HDR. My guess is that it will.
I don't think it will. Given how hands on Lynch seems to be with his releases, let's leave Lost Highway out of this haha, then I think the UHD disc in this set would have had it. I could be wrong though and CBS/Showtime/whoever could've said no in the end.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:26 PM   #402
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2015
The 5th Dimension

Quote:
Originally Posted by postmodel View Post
I don't think it will. Given how hands on Lynch seems to be with his releases, let's leave Lost Highway out of this haha, then I think the UHD disc in this set would have had it. I could be wrong though and CBS/Showtime/whoever could've said no in the end.
The press release for the UHD mentions it will include HDR.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:11 PM   #403
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlouisbarrett View Post
Oh nice! Guess I missed that. Still wonder why it wasn't included with Twin Peaks.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:09 PM   #404
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2015
The 5th Dimension

Quote:
Oh nice! Guess I missed that. Still wonder why it wasn't included with Twin Peaks.
As do I... with the apparent revelation that Lynch himself isnít opposed to HDR, itís kind of a head-scratcher.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:09 AM   #405
Blu-ray Champion

May 2018
Arkham, MA

Quote:
Still wonder why it wasn't included with Twin Peaks.
Maybe they wanted to hold it back for the complete 4K collection.

... I can dream.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:25 PM   #406
Expert Member

Aug 2018

Quote:
I don't think it has anything to do with Lynch himself. My guess would rather be that the Pilot's 4K restoration was performed is SDR and that The Return was finalised in SDR too, and seemingly, nobody bothered to go back and regrade them in HDR.
Especially considering how this UHD is provided (alone in a non-UHD set, with only 2 episodes in it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlouisbarrett View Post
I'd even bet, considering how Studio Canal handles their UHD catalogues releases, that it'll be in Dolby Vision.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (01-26-2020), Kyle15 (01-26-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 10:11 PM   #407
Expert Member

Nov 2014
Los Angeles, CA

Haven't checked out the 4K version of episode 8 yet as the lack of HDR kind of killed my enthusiasm.

Any appreciable differences in comparison to the 1080p?
Old 01-24-2020, 11:42 PM   #408
Blu-ray Champion

May 2018
Arkham, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisTylerBlack View Post
Haven't checked out the 4K version of episode 8 yet as the lack of HDR kind of killed my enthusiasm.

Any appreciable differences in comparison to the 1080p?
It looked a little better. HDR would've really made a difference.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:30 AM   #409
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2014
S„o Paulo, Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Herbert West View Post
It looked a little better. HDR would've really made a difference.
What about the pilot? Big improvement?
Old 01-25-2020, 12:36 AM   #410
Blu-ray Champion

May 2018
Arkham, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackForrester View Post
Yes. It looks fantastic.
Thanks given by:
JackForrester (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 12:48 AM   #411
Expert Member

Nov 2014
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
I *did* watch the 4K pilot the same evening that I received the set.

It looks splendid. Tightly rendered grain structure and slightly more natural colors. Some people here might proclaim it a massive upgrade, and it probably is, but IMO the rest of the series (which is very uneven in places) would probably benefit even more from a new scan than the pilot film does here.
Thanks given by:
JackForrester (01-25-2020), jayembee (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 01:20 AM   #412
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2014
S„o Paulo, Brazil

IDK, the SD elements combined with 4K would be too distracting.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:30 AM   #413
Expert Member

Nov 2014
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
IDK, the SD elements combined with 4K would be too distracting.
So few of those overall and not worth holding back a 4K overhaul IMO.
Anyway, doubt it would be much more distracting than it already is on the current blu.

It’s also still possible that prints with those missing bits of footage could be out there somewhere.

*cue montage of wind blowing ominously through pine tree branches*
Old 01-25-2020, 02:02 AM   #414
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2014
S„o Paulo, Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisTylerBlack View Post
Itís also still possible that prints with those missing bits of footage could be out there somewhere.
Not really, according to the guy who helped CBS search for the missing elements, no stone was left unturned, they looked everywhere. It's gone.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:43 PM   #415
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2012

I just finished rewatching Season 1, 2, FWWM and 3. I watched 1, 2 & FWWM for the very first time in 2011-ish. I watched through everything again and S3 for the very first time in November 2019. Then I watched through everything AGAIN in January 2020 with these Z to A discs.

The first time I watched through season 3 I chewed through it quickly because I was tired of Dougie. I skipped through the Roadhouse Bar performances to get to the next episode faster. When I watched through it the second time I appreciated Dougie quite a bit more and really enjoyed listening to the Roadhouse Bar music.

I will say, rewatching this again so quickly isn’t the greatest of ideas. I was very bored with Season 1 & 2, not so much the first 17 episodes but it took great effort to make it through the last half of season 2. I think I’ll have to figure out some truncated way to get through S2 next time, although next time might not be for another 5+ years so I’d probably watch them all again anyway.

To any Twin Peaks fan watching S3 for the first time, I’ll simply say “you’ll be stuck with Dougie for awhile, don’t fight it and enjoy it.”

Regarding the Z to A exclusive special features:

I had previously not watched the bonus content so I just finished watching through disc 8 from Season 3, ‘Impressions: A Journey Behind the Scenes of Twin Peaks'. The content is fine but “holy smoke” that Werner Herzog-esk narration is terrible.

Then I dug into the Z to A exclusive bonus discs and they were quite fantastic. I have not been watching bonus content lately but this was honestly a real treat. Basically it’s about 20-30 minutes for each of the 18 episodes being behind-the-scenes following David Lynch around. There is some, but very little overlap with the “Impressions” content from disc 8. Since these 18 segments follow each episode of season 3, it is very easy to follow and basically nice revisit of the season. I read they didn’t have anyone doing behind the scenes stuff for the first couple weeks, it is kind of sad there really isn’t anything of the old supporting cast though, you can definitely tell it’s missing.

I really have a new appreciation for Lynch, it is very impressive how in control he is of everything that’s happening. He knows exactly what he wants and how to get it. I know that’s the job of a director but these behind-the-scenes really show masterful direction.

My favorite part was how animated Lynch got trying to get Ike the Spike to really sell the stabbing motion. Also, when they were in the woods in Part 14 and Lynch was telling Robert Forster (Sheriff Truman) to look at his watch and say it was 2:53 and when he looked at his watch it actually was 2:53!!

The Kyle MacLachlan and Sheryl Lee interview was 90 minutes and nice to watch. The Harry Goaz and Kimmy Robertson featurette is about 6 minutes.

I also really enjoyed the Roadhouse Bar musical performances. It is 72 minutes of solid music and the production value is excellent. I quite enjoyed it. I have a very small amount of concert Blu-ray’s so it was nice to listen to this variety of music. Some are definitely better than others. The audio quality and production quality impressed me during the series, so it was quite nice to get the full versions.

In total, there is over 10 hours of content on these two Z to A bonus discs. Packaging aside, I am very happy I got this Z to A set.
Thanks given by:
malicedoom (01-27-2020), murakaz (01-28-2020), TravisTylerBlack (01-26-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 12:32 AM   #416
Expert Member

Nov 2014
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
I just finished rewatching Season 1, 2, FWWM and 3. I watched 1, 2 & FWWM for the very first time in 2011-ish. I watched through everything again and S3 for the very first time in November 2019. Then I watched through everything AGAIN in January 2020 with these Z to A discs.
Wow! That’s intense! The good parts of Twin Peaks certainly have a lot of replay value don’t they? The first 17 episodes and the last few of season 2 are on regular rotation in my home.

I still haven’t made it through all of the new bonus content on this set but I think you’ve inspired me to pour a cup of coffee and pop in one of the disc this evening.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:58 AM   #417
Special Member

Apr 2011
The Gulf

If anyone has an Ollies near them, I found the audiobooks for The Final Dossier and the Secret History of Twin Peaks. 4&6$ Then they were some percent off when I went.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:42 PM   #418

Oct 2011
Chicago, IL
Thumbs up Awesome

Fantastic post, Dreamliner330.

Thanks for the info!

Old 01-27-2020, 10:10 PM   #419

Jan 2014

I finally got my set. I initially cancelled my amazon pre-order because I changed my mind, that I didn't need this and it was a bit expensive. Then seeing a great deal on deepdiscount made me change my mind and decided to risk whatever condition it would arrive in, also not having a clue about their return policy or damaged items policy.
I have to say that the cardboard box used, with two bubble things to stop it from moving around was good and miles better than whatever flimsy crapboard amazon would have used.
The outer box was pretty much undamaged, although all borders are uneven (either badly produced or damaged in transit to storages?), all the "sides" inside have so much wear that every surface has had some part of the print worn OFF. Not a lot but basically no front or back of the cards box and both disc holders are unworn. You'd think this spent weeks being shipped around the world with the content spinning around! Something really weird went on here. All discs are undamaged. One holder set has discs almost moving around while the the other is so tight that no disc can go in enough to look to stay in as originally designed. Extremely disappointed that both disc holders are identical and there is not even an indication of which is the first and which the second, no episode guide to speak of.
Thanks to reviews on here or amazon I removed the protective plastic from the plexiglas figurine - it wasn't easy, I definitely would have wondered if it was really a protection or the real thing, very badly done.
Will have a look at the material on the discs soon but so far, the packaging is a real disappointment.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:35 PM   #420

Oct 2010
"germ money"
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceInTheLeaves View Post
My Z to A box set has just arrived from Zoom and the packaging was a work of art.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatOfTheDead View Post
got my zoom copy today and can confirm it was like a russian doll lovely set
I also received my copy from Zoom. It wasn't as well packaged as the ones described above, unfortunately, but it was good enough because only the brown cardboard box was damaged while my set was completely fine.
The discs themselves don't have a single scratch on them and all of them play fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayembee View Post
What surprised me, though, was that there was an air pillow inside the disc box that kept the contents from moving around.
It was the same for me. Were everybody's sets protected that way?
The cardboard bag which houses the digipacks, etc. was fastened to the back wall of the box with double-sided duct tape in my set. Was this the case with your copies as well?

I wish a booklet would have been included with this set. I'm looking for a list of which (bonus) feature is on which disc, preferrably including run times like on http://www.dvdcompare.net.
Will there be a review on http://www.Blu-ray.com
Are discs #1-10 identical to "The Entire Mystery" set? And is the "A Limited Event Series" Blu-ray set identical to the eight corresponding discs in the "From Z To A" set?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies