Best 4K Blu-ray Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$89.99
13 hrs ago
1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99
13 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Sonic the Hedgehog 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
 
The Hunt for Red October 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.26
 
Queen & Slim 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Terminator: Dark Fate 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
The Dark Knight Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$52.99
 
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.97
 
Spider-Man Limited Edition 4K Collection (Blu-ray)
$45.63
1 hr ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2020, 01:28 AM   #4021
Rusty100 Rusty100 is offline
Expert Member
 
Rusty100's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
1
Default

It's almost like youtube reviewers don't have the proper hardware and don't know what they're talking about!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Staying Salty (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 01:54 AM   #4022
TXMoviebuff77 TXMoviebuff77 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
TXMoviebuff77's Avatar
 
Jun 2017
San Antonio, TX
249
775
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty100 View Post
It's almost like youtube reviewers don't have the proper hardware and don't know what they're talking about!
Or just do it for views. This movie was demo for sure.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 02:22 AM   #4023
Juan127 Juan127 is offline
Active Member
 
Juan127's Avatar
 
Jan 2011
Palm Beach, Fl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty100 View Post
It's almost like youtube reviewers don't have the proper hardware and don't know what they're talking about!
Spare change probably has a theatre system that cost more than your house.....
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:28 AM   #4024
Geoff D Geoff D is offline
Blu-ray King
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
521
1771
5
19
Default

Even so, there's no accounting for taste.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
NotASpeckOfCereal (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 02:35 AM   #4025
Nothing371 Nothing371 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Nothing371's Avatar
 
Jul 2015
Minneapolis
201
553
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan127 View Post
Spare change probably has a theatre system that cost more than your house.....
oh golly now I have to go change my underpants. thanks a bunch
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 03:13 AM   #4026
Juan127 Juan127 is offline
Active Member
 
Juan127's Avatar
 
Jan 2011
Palm Beach, Fl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing371 View Post
oh golly now I have to go change my underpants. thanks a bunch
seriously? the guy said he probably doesnt have proper equipment and u give me that kind of weird ass response?

im tellin you man these people on these forums r something else. guy spends years investing in giving people good reviews and people just talk nonsense. Oh wait let me guess you put in more work and time into that so u can comment on someones videos who is trying to give you an honest opinion using state of the art theatre equipment in a dedicated room...but your right these reviewers dont have proper equipment and dont know what they are talking about.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
TXMoviebuff77 (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 03:23 AM   #4027
TXMoviebuff77 TXMoviebuff77 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
TXMoviebuff77's Avatar
 
Jun 2017
San Antonio, TX
249
775
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan127 View Post
seriously? the guy said he probably doesnt have proper equipment and u give me that kind of weird ass response?

im tellin you man these people on these forums r something else. guy spends years investing in giving people good reviews and people just talk nonsense. Oh wait let me guess you put in more work and time into that so u can comment on someones videos who is trying to give you an honest opinion using state of the art theatre equipment in a dedicated room...but your right these reviewers dont have proper equipment and dont know what they are talking about.
Thanks for the laugh.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 03:24 AM   #4028
Nothing371 Nothing371 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Nothing371's Avatar
 
Jul 2015
Minneapolis
201
553
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan127 View Post
seriously? the guy said he probably doesnt have proper equipment and u give me that kind of weird ass response?

im tellin you man these people on these forums r something else. guy spends years investing in giving people good reviews and people just talk nonsense. Oh wait let me guess you put in more work and time into that so u can comment on someones videos who is trying to give you an honest opinion using state of the art theatre equipment in a dedicated room...but your right these reviewers dont have proper equipment and dont know what they are talking about.
ya, srsly.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 03:27 AM   #4029
motorheadache95 motorheadache95 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
motorheadache95's Avatar
 
Jul 2009
Default

I like Spare Change, but he cracks me up with some of his review techniques. Like how he'll give scores of 7.8. Like, just grade it on a 1-10, what does 7.8 even mean, compared to 7.2 or an 8? And dat "4K Krispy"
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 03:29 AM   #4030
Geoff D Geoff D is offline
Blu-ray King
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
521
1771
5
19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan127 View Post
seriously? the guy said he probably doesnt have proper equipment and u give me that kind of weird ass response?

im tellin you man these people on these forums r something else. guy spends years investing in giving people good reviews and people just talk nonsense. Oh wait let me guess you put in more work and time into that so u can comment on someones videos who is trying to give you an honest opinion using state of the art theatre equipment in a dedicated room...but your right these reviewers dont have proper equipment and dont know what they are talking about.
What, by saying things like how "crispy" 4K looks?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 03:47 AM   #4031
morphinapg morphinapg is offline
Power Member
 
Sep 2013
103
560
8
10
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadache95 View Post
I like Spare Change, but he cracks me up with some of his review techniques. Like how he'll give scores of 7.8. Like, just grade it on a 1-10, what does 7.8 even mean, compared to 7.2 or an 8? And dat "4K Krispy"
When you review enough things, there's absolutely a difference in your mind between a 7.2 and a 7.8. I can even "feel" what the difference between a 7.2 and 7.3 would be to me. It's not an easy thing to describe, but it's still meaningful. It's like in your head you have a specific idea of what a 7 is, and what an 8 is. There's definitely a continuum of quality between those numbers, so you can sort of feel where on the scale something is between those two, and any other two numbers. Although I'd say below a 5 and it starts getting harder to be as precise.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:39 AM   #4032
Geoff D Geoff D is offline
Blu-ray King
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
521
1771
5
19
Default

That's kinda the problem though morph: of course YOU know or 'feel' what that difference is for your own scores according to your own justifications, but as everyone else is not you and doesn't have an instant recall (or a spreadsheet ) of these scores then they can seem rather opaque. It's why I bore people to death with words and pictures rather than an arbitrary assignation of a numbered score.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
aetherhole (01-29-2020), Rusty100 (01-30-2020), Staying Salty (01-29-2020), woodley56 (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 05:28 AM   #4033
morphinapg morphinapg is offline
Power Member
 
Sep 2013
103
560
8
10
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
That's kinda the problem though morph: of course YOU know or 'feel' what that difference is for your own scores according to your own justifications, but as everyone else is not you and doesn't have an instant recall (or a spreadsheet ) of these scores then they can seem rather opaque. It's why I bore people to death with words and pictures rather than an arbitrary assignation of a numbered score.
Well, yeah, reviews are subjective, so what? lol

That being said, call them arbitrary, but most people have a pretty consistent idea of what these kind of scores mean. Meaning my 9, and your 9, are most likely pretty close to describing the same idea. And my 8 and your 8 are also likely pretty close together. So it shouldn't be too difficult to have an idea of what I mean when I rate something an 8.8.

Of course it isn't exact, but the more consistent a reviewer is with how they judge things, the more useful those numbers become, AND the more they probably correlate to the typical range of scores as well. At the very least, you can use those scores to compare two different things that reviewer scored.

If I say that I rated Alita a 9.6, and I mention that other movies that have that rating are Matrix Revolutions, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jurassic Park and Logan, then you'll at least have some idea of what that score means. Not that you'll agree with all of those rankings, but just that they provide a context.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 05:32 AM   #4034
Geoff D Geoff D is offline
Blu-ray King
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
521
1771
5
19
Default

I have no idea what would entail a score getting 8.8 rather than a 9, it seems so petty. And tiny.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 05:37 AM   #4035
morphinapg morphinapg is offline
Power Member
 
Sep 2013
103
560
8
10
1
2
Default

If you know what an 8 is, and what a 9 is, then you at least have some idea what an 8.8 means. Close to a 9, but not quite there.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 05:50 AM   #4036
Nothing371 Nothing371 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Nothing371's Avatar
 
Jul 2015
Minneapolis
201
553
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
Well, yeah, reviews are subjective, so what? lol

That being said, call them arbitrary, but most people have a pretty consistent idea of what these kind of scores mean. Meaning my 9, and your 9, are most likely pretty close to describing the same idea. And my 8 and your 8 are also likely pretty close together. So it shouldn't be too difficult to have an idea of what I mean when I rate something an 8.8.

Of course it isn't exact, but the more consistent a reviewer is with how they judge things, the more useful those numbers become, AND the more they probably correlate to the typical range of scores as well. At the very least, you can use those scores to compare two different things that reviewer scored.

If I say that I rated Alita a 9.6, and I mention that other movies that have that rating are Matrix Revolutions, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jurassic Park and Logan, then you'll at least have some idea of what that score means. Not that you'll agree with all of those rankings, but just that they provide a context.
Numbered rating systems are silly because they are entirely subjective.

I could see grading things on a .5 scale between 1 and 10 like with video games. e.g. "This game is a 9.5." But that's a 1-20 scale that correlates directly with the reviewer's measurement of overall quality of the game compared to other video games. Among an easy-to-sort list of review scores. It's a relative comparison, on a much smaller scale, often times starting at a 10 and subtracting .5 for each explainable glaring misstep or shortcoming.

But here you're grading to the tenth of a point with no actual grading criteria whatsoever. There aren't points to be gained from certain quantitative values from viewing the disc. It's simply your own feelings. "This is a 68". Is that good? Are people cataloguing your review scores so they have something to measure it against? No, it means nothing. Is it a letter grade like a C+ ? Does anything actually score lower than a 50 or is half of your grading scale nonexistent and therefore pointless? So it's senseless to other people. It actually comes off as kinda narcissistic to other people by grading a film on an arbitrary 1 to 100 scale accompanied with a trademark or graphic, as if that gives it some sort of validation.

Sorry, but it's true.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
pbz06 (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 05:53 AM   #4037
morphinapg morphinapg is offline
Power Member
 
Sep 2013
103
560
8
10
1
2
Default

When you rate hundreds, or even thousands of things, a 1-20 scale simply doesn't cut it.

Here are my movie/tv ratings

and game ratings
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:23 AM   #4038
levcore levcore is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
levcore's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Dryland
93
1715
3
Default

Alita being given the same rating as Raiders of the Lost Ark and Jurassic Park? I think we're in the realms of fantasy now.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:31 AM   #4039
morphinapg morphinapg is offline
Power Member
 
Sep 2013
103
560
8
10
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
Alita being given the same rating as Raiders of the Lost Ark and Jurassic Park? I think we're in the realms of fantasy now.
It's that good. I didn't rate it that high my first time, but sitting with it for months before rewatching it changed how I viewed it the second time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:44 AM   #4040
levcore levcore is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
levcore's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Dryland
93
1715
3
Default

I wish it was that good.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:43 PM.