Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
8 hrs ago
1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Queen & Slim 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
13 hrs ago
The Hunt for Red October 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Terminator: Dark Fate 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Sonic the Hedgehog 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Jumanji: The Next Level 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Deepwater Horizon 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96
22 hrs ago
Dolittle 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.97

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 01-28-2020, 08:46 PM   #701
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosHighDef View Post
I'm glad the Hobbit has noting to do with LOTR really and most of the middle earth fans know it's cheesy nonsense mostly.
Ok now I canít tell if youíre serious or if youíre just screwing with me...
Old 01-28-2020, 08:49 PM   #702
Power Member

Feb 2008
socal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcrk View Post
Ok now I canít tell if youíre serious or if youíre just screwing with me...
what are you talking about? You're salty that most people don't like the Hobbit lol?

Seriously most people feel those movies should have never even been made.. the general consensus unless you're some die hard JRR tolkien Middle person is that they were very very underwhelming.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:08 PM   #703
Power Member

Mar 2007

I have always felt LOTR was superior to The Hobbit movies, but I enjoy them all. My son, who was a pre-teen when they came out and is now a teenager, really enjoyed The Hobbit series and it was fun watching it with him.
He was just mentioning to me that we should rewatch them soon so looking forward to 4K release.
Thanks given by:
Evanos (01-29-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 09:22 PM   #704
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2015
Minneapolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcrk View Post
This is what I’m talking about when I say nostalgia has blinded people. You’ve never seen them and you’ve already made up your mind about them.

I really wish The Hobbit had been released right after LotR. We’d have people talking about “the six amazing movies in the Middle-earth saga”.
nope. That's what you Hobbit promoter types don't seem to get.

What, do you think people whom loved LotR actively look for reasons to hate the Hobbit? That they have some sort of personal bias that allows them to like one series but not the other? That its all a big conspiracy, and people can't decide for themselves that one series has a higher standard of quality than the other?

Keep dreamin'. People are entitled to their opinons. It's not some sort of hive-mind, groupthink thing.
Thanks given by:
L.P. Hovercraft (01-30-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 09:34 PM   #705
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing371 View Post
nope. That's what you Hobbit promoter types don't seem to get.

What, do you think people whom loved LotR actively look for reasons to hate the Hobbit? That they have some sort of personal bias that allows them to like one series but not the other? That its all a big conspiracy, and people can't decide for themselves that one series has a higher standard of quality than the other?

Keep dreamin'. People are entitled to their opinons. It's not some sort of hive-mind, groupthink thing.
Resistance is futile.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:49 PM   #706
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2013
Chicago

Yes the hobbit films have far too much cgi and never reach the heights of the LOTR films but I still appreciated the extra time in middle earth and more Ian McKellen. The only one of the bunch I actively dislike is Desolation but actually quite like an unexpected journey.
Thanks given by:
jvonl (01-28-2020), lobo81865 (01-29-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 11:42 PM   #707
Expert Member

Jan 2011
Upstate New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyCosts View Post
Yes the hobbit films have far too much cgi and never reach the heights of the LOTR films but I still appreciated the extra time in middle earth and more Ian McKellen. The only one of the bunch I actively dislike is Desolation but actually quite like an unexpected journey.
This...
Old 01-29-2020, 01:20 AM   #708
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2008

Ok, fellas...some hard-earned wisdom before I die from a stroke or a bite from a rabid raccoon...take this to the bank.

The Hobbit films had to tackle a whole lot of behind-the-scenes issues with legal rights, production, and managerial drama. Roger Ebert referenced a letter I wrote to him about Pinocchio, and said (paraphrasing, you can go look it up yourself) that is it possible to sense the mood of a production crew through a film, either way, happiness and joy, or frustration and anger? Does it bleed through the negative?

Yeah. It does. The Hobbit Trilogy was exponentially harder to make than it had to be, and a lot of that is because of managerial, legal, and corporate drama. and wow, does it just drip off the screen. You can even see it in the bonus features with crew members sniping at each other, or later interviews with actors not even invited to premiere of the third film. Be kind to Peter Jackson. I think he did the best he could, but sadly, the behind the scenes tension is so apparent, what should have been a romp feels like everybody's having a bad day in Middle Earth. And even the rompy moments feel like no one's having any fun making them. To me, anyway.

So Jackson is dealing with lawsuits, profit-participation disputes still lingering, rights issues, Miramax fighting them in court, and...oh brother...am I actually going to say this...look, this is something I suspect, but don't know, but the whole story of Del Toro leaving the project always sounded a bit PR polished up and kinda strange. It's probably true he just got fed up with all the legal and corporate stuff and left the project, but days after he leaves, the project gets green-lit and Jackson starts overhauling the whole thing from top to bottom? That's always made my cricket antennae twitch. Did the financing for The Hobbit come down to a demand that Jackson return as director? Don't know. But as if that shoot needed other problems and more grief, there you go. The LOTR films feel celebratory and fun, The Hobbit films feel burdened and upset. Heavy. Thick. And I think that came from financing and legal affecting the entire mood of the project. End of the day, Peter Jackson was working for someone else.

One of my favorite Chris Rock quotes is about how people view certain celebrities in the industry. "Oprah Winfrey is rich. But the person who cuts her checks? That's wealth."

Truth. So don't be too hard on Jackson. I think he did the best with the parameters and scope of what he had to work in.
Thanks given by:
Evanos (01-29-2020), L.P. Hovercraft (01-30-2020), murakaz (01-29-2020), woodley56 (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 01:44 AM   #709
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2019
Richmond, CA

I've only seen the first two Hobbit movies and they feel like they took the book and stretched it way too thin.

If they had to have made a Hobbit movie, they should have just had it be one film instead of a trilogy.
Thanks given by:
L.P. Hovercraft (01-30-2020), lobo81865 (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 03:11 AM   #710
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

I like The Hobbit films, just not as much as Lord of the Rings. My main issue with them is that by approaching it as a full-on prequel trilogy, culling the more youthful fantasy of The Hobbit novel and mixing in the darker Lord of the Rings tie-in material from Tolkien's appendices, felt like a tonal clash and didn't always work well.

But at this point, I quite enjoy watching all the films together in their Extended Edition versions, with each film being split in two, turning the whole thing into a 12-part miniseries.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 03:22 AM   #711
Special Member

Apr 2014

Quote:
what are you talking about? You're salty that most people don't like the Hobbit lol?

Seriously most people feel those movies should have never even been made.. the general consensus unless you're some die hard JRR tolkien Middle person is that they were very very underwhelming.
Who says most donít like The Hobbit? While most agree they are not as good as The Lord of the Rings movies there are still plenty that thought they were enjoyable films and good expansions of the series
Thanks given by:
Evanos (01-29-2020), HD Goofnut (01-29-2020), JimDiGriz (01-29-2020), jvonl (01-29-2020), Nothing371 (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 03:26 AM   #712
Special Member

Apr 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by farerb View Post
I wish Del Toro could have done his duology, which was supposed to be more fairytale like I think. The Hobbit is not Lord of the Rings, trying to make it so did a disservice to the story in my opinion.
Donít know if it would be good or not but I have no doubt it would have likely deviated from the source material even more
Old 01-29-2020, 03:31 AM   #713
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Rister View Post
Ok, fellas...some hard-earned wisdom before I die from a stroke or a bite from a rabid raccoon...take this to the bank.

The Hobbit films had to tackle a whole lot of behind-the-scenes issues with legal rights, production, and managerial drama. Roger Ebert referenced a letter I wrote to him about Pinocchio, and said (paraphrasing, you can go look it up yourself) that is it possible to sense the mood of a production crew through a film, either way, happiness and joy, or frustration and anger? Does it bleed through the negative?

Yeah. It does. The Hobbit Trilogy was exponentially harder to make than it had to be, and a lot of that is because of managerial, legal, and corporate drama. and wow, does it just drip off the screen. You can even see it in the bonus features with crew members sniping at each other, or later interviews with actors not even invited to premiere of the third film. Be kind to Peter Jackson. I think he did the best he could, but sadly, the behind the scenes tension is so apparent, what should have been a romp feels like everybody's having a bad day in Middle Earth. And even the rompy moments feel like no one's having any fun making them. To me, anyway.

So Jackson is dealing with lawsuits, profit-participation disputes still lingering, rights issues, Miramax fighting them in court, and...oh brother...am I actually going to say this...look, this is something I suspect, but don't know, but the whole story of Del Toro leaving the project always sounded a bit PR polished up and kinda strange. It's probably true he just got fed up with all the legal and corporate stuff and left the project, but days after he leaves, the project gets green-lit and Jackson starts overhauling the whole thing from top to bottom? That's always made my cricket antennae twitch. Did the financing for The Hobbit come down to a demand that Jackson return as director? Don't know. But as if that shoot needed other problems and more grief, there you go. The LOTR films feel celebratory and fun, The Hobbit films feel burdened and upset. Heavy. Thick. And I think that came from financing and legal affecting the entire mood of the project. End of the day, Peter Jackson was working for someone else.

One of my favorite Chris Rock quotes is about how people view certain celebrities in the industry. "Oprah Winfrey is rich. But the person who cuts her checks? That's wealth."

Truth. So don't be too hard on Jackson. I think he did the best with the parameters and scope of what he had to work in.
So you still hate the Hobbitses but it's wrong to rag on PJ regardless?
Thanks given by:
imsounoriginal (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 06:31 AM   #714
Power Member

Jul 2018
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1924 View Post
Who says most donít like The Hobbit? While most agree they are not as good as The Lord of the Rings movies there are still plenty that thought they were enjoyable films and good expansions of the series
I donít know anyone who was satisfied with the Hobbit trilogy. From the bad CGI, to added storylines, to the HFR, to the story being too stretched. Would of worked better as a single movie, two films at most.
Thanks given by:
MosHighDef (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 06:46 AM   #715
Blu-ray Archduke

Jun 2011
Dryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing371 View Post
That's what you Hobbit promoter types don't seem to get.
Lol, Hobbit promoter types. Is that like the Disney defence force.

Hobbit promoter types, what does that even mean
Thanks given by:
murakaz (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 06:47 AM   #716
Blu-ray Archduke

Jun 2011
Dryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcripe View Post
I donít know anyone who was satisfied with the Hobbit trilogy. From the bad CGI, to added storylines, to the HFR, to the story being too stretched. Would of worked better as a single movie, two films at most.
They seemed to do pretty good at the box office though, so somebody must've liked them.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:56 AM   #717
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2013
Perth, Australia

Gone to see them (out of fandom OCD) and "liked them" are two separate concepts. The buzz around the Hobbit films was not that they might be disappointing, so people flocked to see middle earth again. There was a lot of good will in the property. Much like with SW's prequels. People just kept having faith.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:29 AM   #718
Blu-ray Archduke

Jun 2011
Dryland

and denial ain't just a river in Egypt.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:24 AM   #719

Feb 2009

Quote:

I don't think you'll find that "most people" don't like The Hobbit.

By the way, once again, using bits of the making of of BOFA out of context to make it sound like the mood around the set was bad (not that any making of shows that) or Peter didn't want to be there is bullshit. Months later, he literally said he was proud of the films and it seems clear to me that although there were low points and exhaustion on his part (can you imagine? he didn't have nearly the prep that LOTR had, that the films turned out the way they did (which imo is: VERY GOOD) ) is a miracle), he did have fun going back into that world and certainly doesn't seem to regret it.
Thanks given by:
Evanos (01-29-2020), imsounoriginal (01-29-2020), jvonl (01-29-2020), levcore (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 02:57 PM   #720
Power Member

Jul 2014

Nothing wrong with someone personally enjoying them. I hated all 3 of them personally. Well, I liked the beginning of the first Hobbit movie. To me they gave off real prequel vibes (how much fake crap can we put on the screen at one time). I do love being in Middle Earth but god those 3 films were just terrible. I felt bad for Peter Jackson especially, guy looks really miserable in the BTS stuff.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies