Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
1 hr ago
D-Day: Normandy 1944 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
17 hrs ago
Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.96

Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Angel Has Fallen 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

The Hunt for Red October 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Queen & Slim 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Deepwater Horizon 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.16

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 01-29-2020, 12:32 PM   #2401
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2011
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Jack View Post
For the blue suit, yes, but I would argue that the 4K master is a huge downgrade (color wise) for the Krypton scenes. Something about those white suits makes faces and other details on Krypton too dark IMO.
Looking at the UHD again... Yeah I think I agree with you on the Krypton scenes.

But the rest of the transfer... Holy moly!
Thanks given by:
Dave_6 (01-29-2020), Geoff D (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 12:36 PM   #2402
Special Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
I would like the original Superman II as well a the Richard Donner cut. The Richard Donner cut is superior in my eyes, because we have seamless branching so I want to both cuts done in 4K.
I prefer the original Superman II as it was the first version I saw. Yes, the giant 'S' is silly but it is iconic.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:39 PM   #2403
Special Member

Feb 2011

I recently saw Superman: The Movie and was surprised at how good the movie is. It certainly holds up and its reputation is well earned. I can see why some people call this the best CBM ever. Personally, I think that is TDK but I get why some hold this movie as the best.
Thanks given by:
Clark Kent (01-30-2020), Lionel Horsepackage (01-30-2020), Panama Jack (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 12:53 PM   #2404
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fallen Deity View Post
Looking at the UHD again... Yeah I think I agree with you on the Krypton scenes.

But the rest of the transfer... Holy moly!
Statistically speaking, the UHD is still the safest way to travel.
Thanks given by:
johnnyringo7 (01-29-2020), Lionel Horsepackage (01-30-2020), MOS3 (02-04-2020), pjvader (01-29-2020), RoboDan (02-16-2020), The Fallen Deity (01-31-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 01:00 PM   #2405
Special Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Statistically speaking, the UHD is still the safest way to travel.
Do you like pink?
Old 01-29-2020, 01:06 PM   #2406
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
Do you like pink?
you've lost me.
Thanks given by:
ROSS.T.G. (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 01:53 PM   #2407
Special Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
you've lost me.
Lois Lane - 'Do you like pink?'
Superman - 'I like pink very much, Lois.'

You quoted Superman and I wanted to play too
Old 01-29-2020, 02:14 PM   #2408
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Paraphrased, not quoted. I recognised the line (from when he super-peeps her undercrackers) but I didn't see what it had to do with the UHD. No worries
Old 01-29-2020, 03:15 PM   #2409
Special Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
Paraphrased, not quoted. I recognised the line (from when he super-peeps her undercrackers) but I didn't see what it had to do with the UHD. No worries
Yeah, yeah, that line went down like a lead balloon. Sue me
Old 01-29-2020, 04:03 PM   #2410
Power Member

Apr 2011
NY

Truthfully, I seem to remember the Krypton scenes being as presented on the UHD. I remember in the theater (original theatrical release) the costumes were glowing, and much brighter than the faces. Then when I got my Beta edition it had brighter faces - and faces seemed to get brighter with every release after that... laserdisc, DVD, BD.
Even Ilya, the producer and I covered this in our conversations and he just agreed with a, "yes, yes".
Old 01-29-2020, 04:16 PM   #2411
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

But that's just it, in the Krypton stuff on the UHD the suits don't look very bright, like at all, and in the quest for dynamic range they've uncovered all that detail in the material but decided to tone down the brightness. And yet the faces still look really subdued and dull for colour in those scenes in 4K, it's so strange.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:53 PM   #2412
Power Member

Apr 2011
NY

It's a shame the person that should have been address concerning the "look" of the film is no longer with us. But the studios have egos and won't even bring other production people from the film for supervision or consultation.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:09 PM   #2413
Special Member

Feb 2011

I love with Dolby Vision the red of Superman's cape absolutely pops.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:28 PM   #2414
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditcin View Post
It's a shame the person that should have been address concerning the "look" of the film is no longer with us. But the studios have egos and won't even bring other production people from the film for supervision or consultation.
Trouble is, Geoff Unsworth died before he could time the film so it's always been done second hand in that sense.

Last edited by Geoff D; 01-29-2020 at 10:50 PM. Reason: missing s
Thanks given by:
CompleteCount (01-30-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 06:19 PM   #2415

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_blu View Post
Finally got around to putting up my review of the new 4K UHD of Superman the Movie.

Not pleased with it.

While I do see some improvement in some scenes there are some howling errors that just ruin this for me. I don't have the ability to post 4k screen grabs so you'll have to do some AB comparisons yourself to the Theatrical Blu Ray.

First off the good:

New restored sound mix is nice, dialogue track is so clear listen to some of the Daily Planet stuff or Lex in his hideout and compare to the Blu Ray it is much better. Also great removing all those annoying new sounds they added in the modern mix.

Now the Bad:

The following are scenes that look way worse than the blu ray:

The titles, the more cyany looking title highlights have returned whilst they were more blue looking on the Blu Ray now the inner highlights are more cyan than the Theatrical Blu Ray.

Krypton Council: punchy white suits gone, they all need a liver change due to how yellow they all look

Smallville stuff looks good colour wise but no definition on anything the hazy looks as some have called it.

First shot of Metropolis street through taxi lacking colour.

Lex in the viewing room seeing the cop get catch the train, I can see the project leader here saying "we cant have red shadows on the view screen in UHD make it black" So here we drop the red shadow and now the whole scene looks devoid of red.

Chapter 20 the Helicopter rescue, Clark walks out of the Daily Planet whistling its a grey World after all, what happened compare to the Blu Ray.

This is further highlighted by the laughable change in colour of the street before Clark looks at the phone booth and then immediately after, hello Yellow. No quality control here obviously.

My most annoying change, the first part of Supes take off, not the overhead but the shot of Supes on the left of frame just after excuse me. This has to be the worst colour I have seen of this shot in 40 years across all formats. Honestly compare the colour of his costume here to any previous version and tell me it looks correct.

Start Chapter 21 and Supes flying over the city after saving Lois. Supes is now flying over Matrixopolis, GREEN lights for the city. They used to be just about borderline green/yellow now full on green.

After 40 years still cant get right Supes taking off from Lois' balcony before Clark turns up to make it match the shot before. Even though one is a projection you can still make them nearer each other than they are.

Lois car is pink/red/less red,bright pink?

Supes tunneling into to the gauntlet, the transition looks better but now his cape looks orangey red on landing not bright red.

Lex's hideout now doesnt match the de red version from earlier and is back to normal, ok good but not consistent.

Supes taking off from Lois to change the World back his suit is now a lovely shade of Cyan again despite most other versions making this the blue it should look great oversight.

The clouds: So now Supes looks like a cut and paste over the clouds this is new but they have got rid of the yellow on the left handside that plagued this scene and fixed one arm to be really blue as he flies into the clouds.

The shot of Supes flying over land whilst Lois is saying "who knows some day if he's lucky" so this looks worst than it has ever looked before.

Lastly this doesnt appear to be as sharp as the blu ray.

All in all, the bad outweigh the good massively, I am seeing errors on here never seen before, how can anyone in the industry give this 10/10 based on the errors I have explained above.

It might be a great 4k master in terms of technical babble but not in terms of what Superman should look like.

I miss the red, they could have manipulated the highlights without completely removing the red in places.

5/10 I cannot possibly recommend this title.

Please WB review the shots I have stated above and fix for the next release.
Above is what I wrote when I first got it. My opinion hasn't changed, I wish I had the ability for screen caps to demonstrate the above but as a lover of this film for over 30 years I am disappointed by this release and watch the blu ray instead. 😒
Old 01-29-2020, 06:34 PM   #2416
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007

The theatrical BD is definitely too bright and clipped at times. Superman II is even worse; last time I watched it, I had to reduce my contrast level (thus, hurting contrast ratio) to make it more acceptable.
Thanks given by:
The Fallen Deity (01-31-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 09:21 PM   #2417
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2010
In my theatre room

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter View Post
The theatrical BD is definitely too bright and clipped at times. Superman II is even worse; last time I watched it, I had to reduce my contrast level (thus, hurting contrast ratio) to make it more acceptable.
Just thinking out loud... but if a movie/disc hard clips whites reducing contrast on a display wouldn't show more detail. It would just reduce contrast. Or are you saying it was too bright on your projector causing eye strain?
Old 01-29-2020, 10:29 PM   #2418
Special Member

Jul 2017
Elles Belles, Costa Plonka

Quote:
Trouble is, Geoff Unworth died before he could time the film so it's always been done second hand in that sense.
Donner must have taken comfort that it caused some consternation when it came to Lester matching Unsworth's distinctive style when reshooting Supes II.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (01-29-2020), Panama Jack (01-29-2020), ZombieTwin2 (01-30-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 10:38 PM   #2419
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter View Post
Your TV may need to be professionally calibrated. A proper calibration will solve the various issues that you're having with your video, and will make a big difference in the picture quality. The problem might not be the Blu-ray, it could be your incorrect video settings.

Last edited by slimdude; 01-29-2020 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:54 PM   #2420
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2010
In my theatre room

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
Your TV may need to be professionally calibrated. A proper calibration will solve the various issues that you're having with your video, and will make a big difference in the picture quality. The problem might not be the Blu-ray, it could be your incorrect video settings.
It says in his signature itís calibrated by a highly regarded calibrator.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies