Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
8 hrs ago
1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Queen & Slim 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
13 hrs ago
The Hunt for Red October 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Terminator: Dark Fate 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Fifth Element 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.61

Sonic the Hedgehog 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Jumanji: The Next Level 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Deepwater Horizon 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96
22 hrs ago
Dolittle 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 06-16-2017, 05:19 PM   #41
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

[sarcasm] so Nolan IS going Atmos (?) he'll probably find a way to eff it up in typical fashion. [/sarcasm[
Old 06-16-2017, 06:19 PM   #42
Special Member

Nov 2015
Tustin, CA

Exciting to think that this might get a proper Dolby release for home viewing too, then!

I'm still torn... do I see this in Dolby Cinema or do I see this on the 7-story tall IMAX with the switching Aspect Ratio?

hmmm.
Thanks given by:
ilovenola2 (06-17-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 06:23 PM   #43
Special Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by aetherhole View Post
Exciting to think that this might get a proper Dolby release for home viewing too, then!

I'm still torn... do I see this in Dolby Cinema or do I see this on the 7-story tall IMAX with the switching Aspect Ratio?

hmmm.
As much as I love Dolby Cinema, if you have a chance to see this on true 70mm Imax film, that would be the ideal. Hopefully, I'm seeing both.
Thanks given by:
ilovenola2 (06-17-2017), Shalashaska (06-16-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 06:24 PM   #44
Special Member

Nov 2015
Tustin, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
As much as I love Dolby Cinema, if you have a chance to see this on true 70mm Imax film, that would be the ideal. Hopefully, I'm seeing both.
Yeah, who am I kidding. Probably both for me.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:32 PM   #45
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2017
Maine, US

Interstellar had a 4K digital theater run so Nolan isn't shunning the progression of digital in the industry.

If he can get a better quality digital presentation with HDR he'll probably reluctantly agree to it. And who knows, maybe Warner Bros. requires it now when first making a production deal.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:00 PM   #46
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
DMV

Interesting, didn't think Nolan would ever opt for Atmos but this is a great film for him to dip his toe in with. I'll probably end up going 15/70mm anyway though.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:02 PM   #47
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

I'm already in line
Old 06-16-2017, 07:23 PM   #48
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter V View Post
Dunkirk is getting a Dolby Cinema release!!!!!!

http://investor.dolby.com/releasedet...easeID=1030481

4K, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. Here I come. I was already about to make a special trip to the largest IMAX Screen here in the Netherlands. But bye bye, this will be my first Dolby Cinema release.
Pffft, I'm still seeing this in IMAX 15/70 at the BFI. Go big or go home!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangeli View Post
Interstellar had a 4K digital theater run so Nolan isn't shunning the progression of digital in the industry.

If he can get a better quality digital presentation with HDR he'll probably reluctantly agree to it. And who knows, maybe Warner Bros. requires it now when first making a production deal.
Not just Interstellar. TDK, Inception and TDKR all had 4K DCPs too. As for HDR itself, Nolan isn't quite the knuckle-dragging analogue holdout that he's painted as being. It's easy to indulge in such mockery (did it myself in the main Dunkirk thread, before reminding people that he did 3D tests on Inception ) but if he's shown a process which will elevate his art form without violating its core 'look' then he will use it, hence this post of mine earlier in this thread when people were speculating about whether the UHD of Dunkirk would have HDR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Nolan's one of the few folks out there with the clout to insist that it should be SDR only, but I think we'll be pleasantly surprised when the movie hits UHD on or about the end of the year.
And with the announcement of a Dolby Cinema version of Dunkirk the adoption of HDR by Nolan has come even earlier than that ^
Thanks given by:
Vangeli (06-19-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 07:53 PM   #49
Banned

Jun 2011
North Hollywood, CA

Film can get more HDR than digital sources (layman's terms). Nolan has always praised those advantages and Dolby Cinema is the best way to get those highlights digitally.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:05 PM   #50
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poya View Post
Film can get more HDR than digital sources (layman's terms). Nolan has always praised those advantages and Dolby Cinema is the best way to get those highlights digitally.
In lab conditions film has been shown to be capable of pretty much anything (if you asked Wally Pfister I'm fairly sure he'd say it can cure cancer) but in real-world conditions relating to speed, light, exposure, lenses, developing etc etc then you're simply not going to excite every last one of those crystals floating about in the emulsion. Digital is far more stable & repeatable as a medium which is why it's the best capture source if looking for an HDR finish.

But film CAN still hold far more range than what SDR media can portray which is why I've always thought that Nolan wouldn't be averse to the process - just as long as he got a proper look at it. And what better place than Dolby to check out HDR?
Old 06-16-2017, 08:37 PM   #51

Jul 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Pffft, I'm still seeing this in IMAX 15/70 at the BFI. Go big or go home!!
I'll be in London with the fam the week of Dunkirk's release.

Hopefully will get to see it in the BFI. We don't have any IMAXs here, so I'm proper ****ing excited at the idea of seeing true 15/70mm on a 26m x 20m screen.

Have you been to the BFI before? Any thoughts/anecdotes?
Old 06-16-2017, 08:42 PM   #52
Special Member

Sep 2007
Atlanta

Can't wait to see this. Looks like it will be shown in Imax in my area.

On a side note, my father and my grandfather were both in Dunkirk. My gran was in the British Army at the same time as well.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:49 PM   #53
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

I've been to the BFI 19 times, most of which were 15/70 presentations. I think I've seen every full-length movie to include 1.44 IMAX on that screen apart from Force Awakens and Dark Knight, as well as several 15/70 upconverts, last of which was Rogue One.

I wouldn't sit too low down, I know some people do for the 'immersiveness' or whatever but if you're watching an action scene then you simply can't take it all in, it's like watching tennis as your head rapidly moves from side to side trying to follow the action. I felt like I had whiplash after seeing Transformers 2 there sat low and to the side, so I like to sit very high up, almost right at the back.

BUT your preference will vary of course.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:45 PM   #54

Feb 2012

I can't wait for this movie. On paper, it's already a classic.
Thanks given by:
JJ (06-19-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 04:08 AM   #55
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008
Apple Valley, MN

I second Geoff. Personally the back two rows are the only ones worth sitting in. I got stuck maybe a third of the way down when seeing TDK and it was very uncomfortable as I was way too close to the screen and had to turn my head to see who was speaking. It's my own realtime pan and scan version.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (06-17-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 02:00 PM   #56

Nov 2016

On the Deluxe Digital Cinema trailer sheet this week this has several 3D trailers. Odd.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:06 PM   #57
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2010
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by toasted View Post
On the Deluxe Digital Cinema trailer sheet this week this has several 3D trailers. Odd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFAlien View Post
Well this is bizarre. Deluxe is listing that they've included 3D trailers for Dunkirk on their latest trailer mix package:

http://digitalcinema.bydeluxe.com/si...-_WK_25_US.pdf

This only applies to trailers specified for Regal cinemas. I guess maybe they've got the theatre logos and stuff in 3D for some reason?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter V View Post
Could be VR-experience?
Old 06-18-2017, 01:28 PM   #58

Feb 2009

This is going to be the reference UHD BD for a long long time, nothing, nada beats the clarity & resolution of 5 perf & 15 perf 65mm.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:18 PM   #59
Power Member

Nov 2006
Pacific Northwest

Unless of course you chose to use antique lenses. Hateful Eight didn't do much to convince me that clarity and resolution were strong points of that capture.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:28 PM   #60
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

I'd love to see Hateful Eight in 4K someday to really put that to the test though Kris, and I loved how the same lenses looked when used on Rogue One (with Alexa 65 rather than film, of course).

But when it comes to 15-perf 65mm Nolan doesn't mess about with creaky old glass like he does with his 4/35 anamorphic capture, the limited range of lenses to cover that kind of image circle from the likes of Hasselblad and Zeiss are absolutely dynamite in terms of sharpness. Nolan even owns some of the lenses.
Thanks given by:
Resettito (06-19-2017)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies