Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
22 hrs ago
Angel Has Fallen 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96
11 hrs ago
Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.96
10 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Gentlemen 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Queen & Slim 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

The Hunt for Red October 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

D-Day: Normandy 1944 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.56
6 hrs ago
Deepwater Horizon 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Dolittle 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 12-25-2019, 03:38 PM   #1801
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by playa85 View Post
Man these black levels in first blood are really bad. Never seen something like that on any 4k so far
Lots of more modern films look like that by design, like Suicide Squad. I do agree it's a flaw with First Blood though.
Thanks given by:
johnnyringo7 (12-25-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 05:02 PM   #1802

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Lots of more modern films look like that by design, like Suicide Squad. I do agree it's a flaw with First Blood though.
That's true. Rambo: First Blood Part II have much better black levels in general and the night scenes in the jungle looks really good.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:53 PM   #1803

Aug 2019
Zeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by playa85 View Post
Man these black levels in first blood are really bad. Never seen something like that on any 4k so far
Not even The Last Jedi? I don't have it, but I've read it's more grey than black.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:10 AM   #1804
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2013
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyringo7 View Post
That's true. Rambo: First Blood Part II have much better black levels in general and the night scenes in the jungle looks really good.
Really? I watched this last night and thought the black levels were milky grey which made the night scenes tough to watch (almost to the point of a fault). Maybe it was a bad idea to watch this before First Blood?
Thanks given by:
MassiveMovieBuff (01-16-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 09:46 AM   #1805
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2013
Scotland

Yeah, black levels (if you can call them black at all) are shitty on First Blood, too. I'm amazed their hasn't been a wider backlash.
Thanks given by:
MassiveMovieBuff (01-16-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 10:20 AM   #1806
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2014
High up in the KAB lighthouse in Spivey Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markgway View Post
Yeah, black levels (if you can call them black at all) are shitty on First Blood, too. I'm amazed their hasn't been a wider backlash.
I gotta say I'm pretty shocked by this as well. Black levels are almost non existent with First Blood. I haven't seen another transfer like it. I know the first pressings of the blu ray for Arachnophobia got recalled and corrected due to non existent black levels though. I haven't revisited the First Blood remaster since my initial viewing when it first came out due to the issue.

Last edited by MassiveMovieBuff; 01-16-2020 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-16-2020, 02:15 PM   #1807
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2013
Scotland

Anyone else notice shenanigans in the bottom black bar during First Blood's climactic scene? The blacks greys fluctuate badly between slightly grey and really grey. Haven't seen this on anything else on any format.
Old 01-16-2020, 02:32 PM   #1808

Dec 2011

Quote:
Really? I watched this last night and thought the black levels were milky grey which made the night scenes tough to watch (almost to the point of a fault). Maybe it was a bad idea to watch this before First Blood?
Some interior shots have cinematic black levels but night scenes on the jungle have good black levels in my opinion.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:38 PM   #1809
Power Member

Sep 2014
Stockholm

Quote:
Anyone else notice shenanigans in the bottom black bar during First Blood's climactic scene? The blacks greys fluctuate badly between slightly grey and really grey. Haven't seen this on anything else on any format.
Didn't notice that here..black bars being the only part actually black.
Watched it today for the first time. While generally not a bad looking picture (and more appealing than the 2008 effort) I found the black levels non-existent. And while you adjust to that after a while I just don't see the point of such cinematography. Anything that should be inky black is just a grey shade of blue with no more detail present. Colors otherwise are good and look natural. In any case, it's another one of those were I wish I could change the gamma setting for a more appealing 2.4.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:26 PM   #1810

Jan 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion View Post
Not in a rush to upgrade my blu-rays, perhaps when the price falls. I wonder if and when the 4th will be released on 4K.

IMO, those are the superior discs.

Really I can only speak about First Blood, which is one of my favorite films and the only one in the series that I care to own on home video, but IMO you should never seek to replace those blu-rays, because from what I've seen, the supposed "upgrades" are color downgrades.

I initially bought the Studio Canal remaster a few months back, but something about the picture looked... off.

And when I checked caps-a-holic,

https://caps-a-holic.com/c_list.php?c=4935

the caps for the initial Lionsgate release in your post looked better.

So I went back and brought a new copy of that Lionsgate blu-ray (which is apparently now out of print, but still widely available), and -- as I'm finding to be so often the case with blu-rays -- the older release's colors are much superior. The greens look like greens, the blues look like blues, etc. All the colors look more natural and appealing.

But in the newer Studio Canal disc that I bought first, the forest looks brownish more than green, the blues have cyan in them, etc. Even the color of Rambo's army jacket (a definite color reference) looks off in the newer disc, whereas in the Lionsage blu-ray it looks correctly army-olive green.

(And based just on caps-a-holic caps alone, I wouldn't get the 4k version if you paid me; it all looks soaked in mucus green and urine yellow. That's a physically revolting picture. No thanks.)

I just wish I'd found this forum, and through it caps-a-holic, before I brought the newer Studio Canal release. If I had, I would have gone straight to the Lionsgate edition and saved some money.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:11 AM   #1811
Blu-ray Champion

May 2018
Arkham, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post
IMO, those are the superior discs.

Really I can only speak about First Blood, which is one of my favorite films and the only one in the series that I care to own on home video, but IMO you should never seek to replace those blu-rays, because from what I've seen, the supposed "upgrades" are color downgrades.
Thanks given by:
notops (01-27-2020), Sky_Captain (01-27-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 01:41 AM   #1812
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Didn't notice it on First Blood but definitely caught a bit of it on FB part II. I find that setting black just a click below where it should be helps to bring the black bars down to black. Good old StudioCanal.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies