Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
The Gentlemen 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
5 hrs ago
1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Queen & Slim 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
36 min ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Dolittle 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Hunt for Red October 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.26

Sonic the Hedgehog 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Zombieland: Double Tap 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.36

Terminator: Dark Fate 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.63

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 12-11-2018, 10:30 PM   #41
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInHD View Post
Funny you should mention that. Paramount quietly did a 4K restoration, which is now what's being used on iTunes as a 4K offering. It's making the rounds at film festivals and will soon be on various VOD services that offer 4K content. A physical release is apparently not on the table, either on BD or UHD-BD.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:42 PM   #42
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

I subscribed anyway. ...For that (WotW) and Eyes Wide Shot in 4K HDR DV and Atomas sound.
Thanks given by:
King Crimson (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 10:46 PM   #43
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2009
Out there...past them trees...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInHD View Post
Funny you should mention that. Paramount quietly did a 4K restoration, which is now what's being used on iTunes as a 4K offering. It's making the rounds at film festivals and will soon be on various VOD services that offer 4K content. A physical release is apparently not on the table, either on BD or UHD-BD.
Thanks for the info. Just saw it on Vudu in 4K and pulled the trigger on it. Much better than nothing.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:00 AM   #44
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgon View Post
One for the wife!
I don't get these kind of posts. Like, you like it for your own enjoyment (hence why you're on this site).
Old 12-12-2018, 01:36 AM   #45
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas_King View Post
I don't get these kind of posts. Like, you like it for your own enjoyment (hence why you're on this site).
You still have that issue with your Sony X700 player?
Old 12-12-2018, 07:27 AM   #46
Power Member

Jan 2014

Quote:
Stay clear of the Oceans 8 thread...
Old 12-12-2018, 08:02 AM   #47

Dec 2016
Royal Tunbridge Wells

Sound:
English - United States 5.1 Surround DTS HD Master Audio
English - United Kingdom 5.1 Surround Dolby Digital AC3 Audio Descriptive Track (US)
French - Canadian 5.1 Surround Dolby Digital AC3
French - Parisian 5.1 Surround Dolby Digital AC3
German 5.1 Surround Dolby Digital AC3
Italian 5.1 Surround Dolby Digital AC3
Japanese 5.1 Surround Dolby Digital AC3
Portuguese - Brazilian 5.1 Surround Dolby Digital AC3
Russian 5.1 Surround Dolby Digital AC3
Spanish - Castilian 5.1 Surround Dolby Digital AC3
Spanish - Latin American 5.1 Surround Dolby Digital AC3
Thai 5.1 Surround Dolby Digital AC3

Subs:
English - United States, English - United States SDH, Bahasa – Malaysian, Chinese - Cantonese - Hong Kong, Chinese - Mandarin - Traditional - Taiwan and Singapore, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French - Canadian, French – Parisian, German, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese – Brazilian, Russian, Spanish - Castilian, Spanish - Latin American, Swedish, Thai
Thanks given by:
Fixer (12-13-2018), vvkHD (12-26-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 08:28 AM   #48
Special Member

Feb 2011
Birmingham, UK

I'd like it if they included the deleted scenes or even released an extended version. There was a big sequence cut in the middle of the film.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:09 PM   #49
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_UK View Post
I'd like it if they included the deleted scenes or even released an extended version. There was a big sequence cut in the middle of the film.
What was that about?
Old 12-12-2018, 01:52 PM   #50
Special Member

Feb 2011
Birmingham, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
What was that about?
So, some of it can be seen in the trailer(s).

There is some kind of sequence involving hiding behind a car to evade the aliens. There is also some (perhaps lost now) behind the scenes footage of them filming the sequence).

Also the line in the film uttered by Cruise in the trailer "nothing can touch them" has been speculated that this is where he learns about the alien shields for the first time and then (is supposed to) pay off at the end where he sees the birds resting on the tripods.

(Again further speculation) that the sequence would have come between where they run off into the woods and then where you see them again walking along with hundreds of others (also Dakota Fanning has a costume change between shots - again fueling speculation this took place here as the costume change goes unexplained).

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comm...rly_ten_times/

Last edited by Ben_UK; 12-12-2018 at 02:04 PM.
Thanks given by:
DJR662 (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 03:34 PM   #51
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_UK View Post
So, some of it can be seen in the trailer(s).

There is some kind of sequence involving hiding behind a car to evade the aliens. There is also some (perhaps lost now) behind the scenes footage of them filming the sequence).

Also the line in the film uttered by Cruise in the trailer "nothing can touch them" has been speculated that this is where he learns about the alien shields for the first time and then (is supposed to) pay off at the end where he sees the birds resting on the tripods.

(Again further speculation) that the sequence would have come between where they run off into the woods and then where you see them again walking along with hundreds of others (also Dakota Fanning has a costume change between shots - again fueling speculation this took place here as the costume change goes unexplained).

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comm...rly_ten_times/
Interesting, sounds great!
Old 12-12-2018, 03:36 PM   #52
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
DMV

Quote:
Or he's on this site because he likes the BD and UHD formats. It doesn't mean he has to like every movie that comes out on them...
Thanks given by:
ROSS.T.G. (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 06:01 PM   #53
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
You still have that issue with your Sony X700 player?
Thank you for your help. I didn’t care to go back cause no one answered, I’ll check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono3000 View Post
Stay clear of the Oceans 8 thread...
Oh yeah.

It’s like they can’t admit to liking something and it’s much easier to just bring up “the wife” as the excuse lol.

Happens all the time here.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:20 PM   #54
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2009
Aylmer, Quebec

Day 1
Old 12-12-2018, 06:49 PM   #55

Feb 2012

More Cruise in 4K! I WANT IT ALL!
Old 12-12-2018, 08:25 PM   #56
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Photos from the deleted "Camelot" scene here:

http://fromdirectorstevenspielberg.t...-of-the-worlds

I think some of the photos are from the Cinefex magazine article on the film's effects. I believe that after the ferry scene, Ray and kids were to enter Newark, where they took refuge behind a minivan as tripods attacked apartment buildings and plucked screaming residents from them.

The Cinefex article has a photo of an animatic from this scene, showing tripods walking by a large apartment building.

The scene was apparently finished or nearly finished, but dumped at the last minute. There's a score cue on the soundtrack album called "Attack on the Car," which doesn't appear in the film. I suspect it was meant to score this sequence. I'm guessing it was either too late to take the track off the album, or Williams liked it enough to leave it on anyway.

Last edited by James Luckard; 12-12-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Thanks given by:
DJR662 (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 10:20 PM   #57
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Luckard View Post
There's a score cue on the soundtrack album called "Attack on the Car," which doesn't appear in the film. I suspect it was meant to score this sequence. I'm guessing it was either too late to take the track off the album, or Williams liked it enough to leave it on anyway.
The composer usually puts together the soundtrack album with little influence from the director. This is why the score on the album and the score in the film may not match up; the film has the director's preference of what works best and the album is the composer's. If the scene was cut very late in post-production, then it's very likely that the album was already pressed by that stage. It happened with the first Hobbit film; the score for the High Fells sequence appears on the soundtrack album for the first film (the track 'The Edge of the Wild') as that sequence was moved to the second film at pretty much the last minute when the album had already been pressed (tie-in behind the scenes books and children's storybooks also include the scene meaning it was cut after those books were printed too).

The composer compiles the album with the tracks they feel best represent the score and each has their own preference. John Williams usually opts for the best listening experience which is why his albums are often partly made up of concert suites and are sometimes not in chronological order.

So it's possible the score for the scene was included because the scene was cut after the album was pressed or because Williams felt it improved the listening experience of the album. But I would lean towards the former.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:10 AM   #58
Power Member

Mar 2008

This movie is too grainy and I don't know how Spielberg finished this, I guess it got a 2K DI.
I don't think there's much room for improvement except for Wide Color Gamut.
I'll wait and see what the reviews say.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:18 AM   #59
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

IMDB makes no mention of a DI for this, which wasn't uncommon at the time as peeps could still finish on film easily enough and Señor Spielbergo is very much a film kinda guy. If this gets a new 4K transfer from the negative...oh mai
Old 12-13-2018, 03:34 AM   #60

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
IMDB makes no mention of a DI for this
I’ve read that Crystal Skull was Spielberg’s first film with a DI. No idea if that’s true, but if it is, that’d put War of the Worlds safely in that finished on film territory.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (12-13-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies