Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
1 hr ago
D-Day: Normandy 1944 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
17 hrs ago
Spider-Man Limited Edition 4K Collection (Blu-ray)
$43.82

Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.96

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Angel Has Fallen 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Queen & Slim 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

The Hunt for Red October 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Deepwater Horizon 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 01-28-2020, 02:03 AM   #1281
Power Member

Sep 2013

Interesting. I wonder if I test it in HDR10 if it will go away as well. Or if not, then maybe I can check on my Sony.

Also, one of the time stamps I took two pictures during the same scene.
Old 01-28-2020, 02:15 AM   #1282
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Worth a try in HDR10 (that's in DV in my pikatures). Sometimes the player and/or TV can just have an 'off' day though, I seem to remember someone else having some sort of horrible banding problem like that with another movie and a reset of the TV cleared it.
Thanks given by:
morphinapg (01-28-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 02:31 AM   #1283
Power Member

Sep 2014
Stockholm

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
Only setting I change with DV is brightness to 49, because at 50 I don't get perfect black levels.
That's interesting. For me DV with brightness at 50 is near perfect. Basic HDR10 though I feel can often result in thin blacks. I do the same trick as someone else here recommended setting rgb 2 pt low at -4. It fixes the problem without crushing blacks as brightness as 49 would do. Kinda sucks how you need to win the panel lottery to enjoy OLED technology.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:00 AM   #1284
Power Member

Sep 2013

Well like I said it's something I've never noticed before with over 4000 hours on this thing so I think I'm okay.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:55 PM   #1285
Power Member

Nov 2013

Quote:
Just watched this tonight. I love this movie, and had been excited to watch the UHD as I had heard good things about it. Ultimately, while I do think the picture quality is good, I don't think the HDR usage is very good. It has sort of that IMAX Theater look to it, like Nolan's movies, where it's bright and clear, but with thin black levels and shadows. It's not a bad look, exactly. I think it suits the movie well. I just don't think there's much to say in its use of HDR.
Simply not true. The blacks aren't John Wick 2 deep, but nowhere near Nolan level. There's plenty of nice contrast and dynamic range on this.

You might be experiencing the "elevated blacks" issue in DV on your 2016 OLED, or maybe you're just way off base, as you usually are. On my Panasonic OLED, I didn't experience Nolan level blacks in DV at all.
Thanks given by:
Sky_Captain (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 06:34 AM   #1286
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2017
Cow Country

Tried to watch the disc, but the Panny ub420 player kept turning the conversion on. Wish I could see some of this reference quality everyone's excited about. Ended up using the 4K stream which looked more vibrant, so I don't know what my player was doing. Only setting on the TV I messed with was the micro dimming.
Old 02-01-2020, 01:45 PM   #1287
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2008
-
-

Quote:
Okay, here are some time stamps and some pictures:

[Show spoiler]0:10:44

0:48:05

1:02:09

Seems to mostly take place in his apartment
My B6 be like 'nah, mate'.

Phone pics, children. Phone pics.
Thanks given by:
Agent Kay (02-01-2020), Geoff D (02-02-2020), Jay Mammoth (02-01-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 01:55 PM   #1288
Power Member

Sep 2013

I probably just need to run a compensation cycle or something
Old 02-01-2020, 02:21 PM   #1289
Banned

May 2018

Quote:
I probably just need to run a compensation cycle or something
When was the last time
Old 02-01-2020, 02:55 PM   #1290
Power Member

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Kay View Post
When was the last time
There was one that automatically happened when I hit 4000 hours I think a month or two ago, but I never manually choose it. I know they also run the short kind when the TV's been on for I think at least 4 hours straight as well, which probably happens a few nights a week.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:21 PM   #1291

Jul 2016
Tatooine

I posted this in the slipcover exchange thread but I’ll post it here as well... I’m looking for a super minty Joker 4K slipcover, if anyone has any leads. The ones on eBay appear to be banged up.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:23 PM   #1292
Banned

May 2018

Quote:
There was one that automatically happened when I hit 4000 hours I think a month or two ago, but I never manually choose it. I know they also run the short kind when the TV's been on for I think at least 4 hours straight as well, which probably happens a few nights a week.
Weird
Old 02-02-2020, 03:19 PM   #1293
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010
Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Aye. It's the least comic-booky 'comic book' movie I think I've ever seen, though Ghost World says 'hi!'. Take away all the DC-related stylings but keep the main body of the movie exactly the same and it would still be just as good, better even. Would it have made $1Bn worldwide without that comic connection? Doubtful, but in relation to the actual filmic artistry on display here the whole 'comic book' angle has very little to do with it. Still, you gotta let the DC fans have their victories ESPECIALLY when you see how uptight they are about Birds of Prey
Yeah and its really childish behaviour. This movie is far superior than what DC and Marvel has to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallywhitty View Post
Well... what do you expect? It's a film based on the most iconic supervillain of all time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slask View Post
It's cinema, don't be a Scorsese.
Entertainment is cinema. Just like Star Wars, Back to the future, Pirates of the Caribbean and so on... it just depends on how you do it.

Plus, The Dark Knight trilogy fits Nolan's filmography well concerning themes. It's not just an excuse to showcase explosions and car chases; there's a compelling story at its core, there are tridimensional characters, there's a reflection on terrorism and social phobias in a post 9/11 world.
If it wasn't like that, if "you watch the movie, have your pop corn and that's it", people, critics and filmmakers wouldn't be talking about it after 15 years...
I am not against such movies. I do have all Dark Knight movies and love them but maybe you don't understand my point. Yes they are highly entertaining but that's just it. They aren't thought provoking at least to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
I don't consider Joker as being a superhero movie, it's a psychological thriller based on a DC comic character. The Joker is a villain not a superhero.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT_JB View Post
I really don't feel all the hype about this movie and Phoenix's performance.

I'm still excited to watch this again on the 4K when it releases. When I saw it in the cinema I really wasn't that impressed.

Sure Phoenix is playing amazing as always, but have most of you guys not seen The Master or Her?

If not you should absolutely do!

That's his best roles for me and he didn't even get a nomination as far as i remember.

So, for me Joker is a okay movie, which Phoenix elevates into a really good movie.
But without him this movie would just be another DC movie, in my opinion.
Well, I don't see anything in this movie which is like any other DC movie as you said. Since when we have a dc movie with no cgi explosions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindustani View Post
It may win Best Actor. Thats about it.

best picture is most probably THE IRISHMAN

best director is most probably Martin Scorsese
I think Sam Mendes and 1917 will win best director and best picture because we all know Academy love war movies like no other. I really want Joker to win best actor and best music at least.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:22 PM   #1294
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010
Dubai

One question. The digital code that comes with the US 4k release is HD or 4k and what audio it has?
Old 02-02-2020, 03:46 PM   #1295
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Do people really keep a tally on how many hours their TV is being used? Who does that!
Old 02-02-2020, 03:52 PM   #1296
Expert Member

Nov 2009

Quote:
Do people really keep a tally on how many hours their TV is being used? Who does that!
Are you suggesting folks should spend their time more productively?

If so, looking at your post, I see you have a good understanding of irony.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:55 PM   #1297
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2015
Myrtle Beach, SC

Quote:
People don't keep tally. The tv does. On my LG OLED go into the settings and it's under "TV Information".
Thanks given by:
morphinapg (02-02-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 03:56 PM   #1298
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee74 View Post
Are you suggesting folks should spend their time more productively?
It would make a lot more sense (that's for sure) because It's unheard of.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:53 AM   #1299

Jan 2019
Singapore

Quote:
I think most OLED's automatically prompt to run a compensation cycle every 2000 hours.
Thanks given by:
morphinapg (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 09:15 AM   #1300

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashif View Post
I am not against such movies. I do have all Dark Knight movies and love them but maybe you don't understand my point. Yes they are highly entertaining but that's just it. They aren't thought provoking at least to me.
I got your point, but I still fail to see how you canít distinguish those flicks from ordinary pop-corn movies. They are thought provoking indeed, or do you think Joker is the first movie to talk about ďsocietyĒ issues?
Plus, Iíd say that part wasnít even that deep in Phillips movie, itís Arthurís character and arc thatís compelling and thought-provoking...
Thanks given by:
morphinapg (02-03-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies