Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Sonic the Hedgehog 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
21 hrs ago
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
3 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Braveheart 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
9 hrs ago
Angel Has Fallen 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Superman: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Unforgiven 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Terminator: Dark Fate 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.54

Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 11-22-2019, 11:28 PM   #41
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcripe View Post
Anybody see this in IMAX? Will be seeing it Saturday night. My theater recently renovated their IMAX theater so now it supports laser projection. Excited to check both the new theater and film out!
I've got Dolby Cinema tickets for Thanksgiving but I don't want to wait that long so I ended up picking up some IMAX tickets for tomorrow morning. I don't do IMAX often so I'm not sure what my local theater has for projection (I go to the one in Southcenter) but I'll post my thoughts tomorrow.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:07 AM   #42
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2009
Denver, CO

Eve though I thought the middle section with the woods was pretty boring and Olaf was very unfunny, the animation was breathtaking especially the set pieces with Elsa in the 3rd act. Gonna get the steelbook.
Thanks given by:
Vangeli (11-23-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 12:09 AM   #43
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2017
Maine, US

Seeing this with my niece tomorrow. Have heard very positive things from friends who share my mixed feelings on the first movie, so I’m excited.
Thanks given by:
sfmarine (11-23-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 12:15 AM   #44
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnoyes View Post
Yeah, it's clear just from the trailer that the new one is going to blow the original out of the water, at least in terms of the art and technical elements. The original is easily the least appealing of all the modern Disney animated movies. Looking forward to seeing this with the family on Thanksgiving morning.
You mean in terms of the PQ? Frozen is the biggest selling Blu-ray disc of all time (and 3rd best selling disc of all time including DVD) so movie-wise it had the most appeal.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:25 AM   #45
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
You mean in terms of the PQ? Frozen is the biggest selling Blu-ray disc of all time (and 3rd best selling disc of all time including DVD) so movie-wise it had the most appeal.
Personally I think the movie is fairly lifeless but I was referring specifically to the art and animation, which is drab and uninspired compared to Disney's other efforts (as well as most other big studio animated releases) over the last decade. It's the only UHD from that time frame where I found myself being regularly distracted by low quality textures and the lack of any real visual flair or creativity. This new one looks like it's going to be a stunner, though. Whether or not it's as popular as the original will probably depend mainly on how much kids like the music.
Old 11-23-2019, 01:14 AM   #46
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangeli View Post
Apparently they near-completely remade the movie shortly before release to change Elsa from being the main big bad after Let It Go turned out so good. The movie turned out fine for being a rush job.
That I did not know, I mean I still *enjoy* the movie. But that it did so well in spite of being bodged together at the last minute is testament to the filmmakers.
Thanks given by:
Vangeli (11-23-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 01:33 AM   #47
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2017
Maine, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
That I did not know, I mean I still *enjoy* the movie. But that it did so well in spite of being bodged together at the last minute is testament to the filmmakers.
I’m sure the evil Elsa movie would’ve been *much* better looking (look at this shot below!) but Let It Go is just so good that they really couldn’t keep her evil.

Thanks given by:
bradnoyes (11-23-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 06:49 AM   #48
Special Member

Oct 2018

I always waited for this part to happen in the original movie since the shot of Elsa at the end was featured a lot in trailers:
I like Let it Go but I feel that morally ambiguous Elsa could have been a much more interesting character and probably would have made a better film. I don't think Jennifer Lee is a good screen writer. In my opinion Frozen was lucky to be released at the time it did, after people got interested in Disney films and musicals again, for which Tangled paved the way. I think Tangled had terrible marketing so it didn't do as good as in theaters, but People did see it afterwards and they loved it and couldn't wait for the next fairytale based musical film from Disney. It kind of like in the early Renaissance where The Little Mermaid paved the way for Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:18 AM   #49
Power Member

Jul 2015
SoCal

Saw this today in Dolby Cinema and I (unsurprisingly) LOVED IT. Can't wait to own the 4K but I'm gonna have to see it in the theater again. It altogether looks SO GOOD. One little detail that comes to mind is the tiny ice/crystal shards on Elsa's 1st or 2nd dress on her chest that had some nice crisp light reflections
[Show spoiler](also all the cave stuff)
. I can already tell I'm gonna be pausing a bunch just to stare at the details.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:22 AM   #50
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2017
Maine, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by farerb View Post
I always waited for this part to happen in the original movie since the shot of Elsa at the end was featured a lot in trailers:
https://youtu.be/O_IAROwq80k
I like Let it Go but I feel that morally ambiguous Elsa could have been a much more interesting character and probably would have made a better film. I don't think Jennifer Lee is a good screen writer. In my opinion Frozen was lucky to be released at the time it did, after people got interested in Disney films and musicals again, for which Tangled paved the way. I think Tangled had terrible marketing so it didn't do as good as in theaters, but People did see it afterwards and they loved it and couldn't wait for the next fairytale based musical film from Disney. It kind of like in the early Renaissance where The Little Mermaid paved the way for Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King.
More interesting for adults but Elsa is adored, a billion times more adored than Anna and Anna was originally the main character! Kids falling in love with the evil queen because of let it go? Disney would never take that risk but a queen overcoming the ignorance of others and fear of her own power? Great message. Similar twist to Maleficent, which came out around the same time IIRC.

Last edited by Vangeli; 11-23-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:13 PM   #51
Special Member

Oct 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangeli View Post
More interesting for adults but Elsa is adored, a billion times more adored than Anna and Anna was originally the main character! Kids falling in love with the evil queen because of let it go? Disney would never take that risk but a queen overcoming the ignorance of others and fear of her own power? Great message. Similar twist to Maleficent, which came out around the same time IIRC.
90's Disney would have. That's why those films were better than the films they release nowadays.
Thanks given by:
Popcron (11-23-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 02:11 PM   #52

Jan 2017
Winchester, TN

Does anyone have any information on whether or not this was animated in native 4K? Since the release of Toy Story 4 I was hoping that all Disney animation would be native 4K after, but I know they’re different than Pixar. That native 4K really made Toy Story 4 look jaw dropping.
Old 11-23-2019, 03:26 PM   #53

May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by leniphotography View Post
Does anyone have any information on whether or not this was animated in native 4K? Since the release of Toy Story 4 I was hoping that all Disney animation would be native 4K after, but I know they’re different than Pixar. That native 4K really made Toy Story 4 look jaw dropping.
My local cinema received a 2K DCP, while with Toy Story 4 received a 4K DCP, so I'm assuming Frozen II was rendered at 2K
Old 11-23-2019, 03:44 PM   #54

Dec 2008

Yes, 2K sadly. Also according to IMDb.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:42 PM   #55
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2016

Now that’s more like it! Saw this today in IMAX and I thought it was a major step up from the original in terms of the art direction and animation. Should be a lovely UHD. I’m still hoping to see this in Dolby Cinema since I think it will be a better presentation. I’ve got some mixed feelings about the messaging in this movie but I did think it was more cohesive and endearing than the original. It’s been a strong year for animated titles on UHD and this should be a good early entry for 2020.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:20 PM   #56
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2017
Maine, US

Wasn’t able to see this today, probably next weekend now. Bummer.

At least I won a BestBuy gift card and preordered the 4K steelbook for ~$15!
Old 11-24-2019, 12:10 AM   #57
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2016

By the way, there's an element to this movie that, oddly, reminded me of Annihilation of all things. Without giving too much away, the visuals in this movie really began to shine once the characters enter the equivalent of "the shimmer". Lots of great highlights and really effective use of atmospheric effects that I think are going to produce an amazing sense of depth on the UHD.
Thanks given by:
Vangeli (11-24-2019)
Old 11-24-2019, 01:26 AM   #58
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

The visuals are better and there are a few more songs, but I like the first one better, mainly because the songs are better (the story is better as well in the first one) I like most of the songs in this one, but there is no Let It Go (which to me is the best animated song of all time). Elsa's voice is wonderful in this movie and I like her songs the best because of it, but I don't know about a Frozen III, as it's starting to sound a little old for a girl in her late teens (or early 20's).

But this will look great on UHD. Saw the 3D in the theater and plan to get it as well. BTW, my 9 year old granddaughter gives this 100 stars.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:42 AM   #59
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
My Home
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by farerb View Post
https://youtu.be/O_IAROwq80k
I like Let it Go but I feel that morally ambiguous Elsa could have been a much more interesting character and probably would have made a better film

I've always believed them making Elsa a good guy is what made the movie as big as it is. Even this alternate scene can be argued that Elsa is less being evil and more scaring them away so she can be left alone in the ice palace.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:49 AM   #60
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009

Let it Go won an Academy Award and an Emmy.

Would be hard for any studio to replicate that type of lightning in a bottle.

With that being said, 'Into the Unkown' and 'Show Yourself' are outstanding tracks, that at least feature a more unconventional compositions compared to your normal Disney fanfare.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies