Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.26

The Hunt for Red October 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Sonic the Hedgehog 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Queen & Slim 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.70

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Terminator: Dark Fate 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.74

Superman: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 12-10-2019, 12:14 PM   #1
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2010
Netherlands
Disney Beauty and the Beast 4K UHD (2017)

Beauty & The Beast (2017) 4K Blu-ray

Last edited by Pieter V; 12-20-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Thanks given by:
birdztudio (12-12-2019), DanTheMan (12-10-2019), GenPion (12-11-2019), gkolb (12-12-2019), GoneJoel (12-12-2019), kurtis21 (12-10-2019), panasonicst60 (12-12-2019), tonylopez (12-11-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 12:31 PM   #2

May 2018
The Netherlands

Yay!
Old 12-10-2019, 12:33 PM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2008
Boston, MA

The live action and animated movie will be immediate purchases.
Thanks given by:
panasonicst60 (12-12-2019), Wes_k089 (12-12-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 01:53 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2013
Right Behind You

The animated version is a must buy but the LA is an easy pass for me, nowhere near as good. It is good to see Disney releasing more 4K though.
Thanks given by:
jeangreyforever (12-11-2019), reanimator (12-12-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 05:51 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2009
Aylmer, Quebec

Love this one!
Thanks given by:
deathlyhallowspart1 (01-08-2020)
Old 12-11-2019, 11:10 PM   #6
Banned

Jun 2011
North Hollywood, CA
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticwaterfall View Post
The animated version is a must buy but the LA is an easy pass for me, nowhere near as good. It is good to see Disney releasing more 4K though.
Agreed. Of all the remakes Disney’s done recently, this is the one that pisses me off the most. The original was the greatest story Disney ever told. Perfect songs, perfect villain, perfect animation, etc. It did what it needed to do in 80 minutes than this one did in 2 hours.
Thanks given by:
jeangreyforever (12-11-2019), Jumpman (12-12-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 11:49 PM   #7

Apr 2014
United States

The only live-action remake worse than this were the two Maleficent films.
Thanks given by:
Wes_k089 (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 04:46 AM   #8
Special Member

Oct 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeangreyforever View Post
The only live-action remake worse than this were the two Maleficent films.
Ironically written by the same writer of the original Beauty and the Beast.
I also found The Lion King boring.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:12 AM   #9
Power Member

Jul 2015
SoCal

So excited for this one! This is imo the best of the live action remakes so far and is gonna look amazing in 4K! It may even be a day-one buy if the inevitable steelbook is good.
Thanks given by:
deathlyhallowspart1 (01-08-2020), denger76 (01-28-2020), panasonicst60 (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 06:13 AM   #10
Banned

Jun 2011
North Hollywood, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by farerb View Post
Ironically written by the same writer of the original Beauty and the Beast.
I also found The Lion King boring.
She also co-wrote the original Lion King, too. What the hell happened?
Old 12-12-2019, 06:42 AM   #11
Special Member

Oct 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poya View Post
She also co-wrote the original Lion King, too. What the hell happened?
Films are more a directors/producers media (unlike television where the writers are in charge or theaters where the actors are) so I guess the directors and producers of Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King were amazing while the directors and producers of Maleficent/Alice were terrible and Linda had little impact on all these films.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:53 AM   #12
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poya View Post
Agreed. Of all the remakes Disney’s done recently, this is the one that pisses me off the most. The original was the greatest story Disney ever told. Perfect songs, perfect villain, perfect animation, etc. It did what it needed to do in 80 minutes than this one did in 2 hours.
Perfect? That's a loaded word.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:50 PM   #13

Nov 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Rister View Post
Perfect? That's a loaded word.
And it's the perfect word to describe the original film.
Thanks given by:
imsounoriginal (12-12-2019), Poya (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 02:31 PM   #14
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by toasted View Post
And it's the perfect word to describe the original film.
Belle going off-model constantly...perfection, indeed. We all watch the same movies, but we don't all watch movies the same way.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:08 PM   #15
Special Member

Oct 2018

Quote:
Belle going off-model constantly...perfection, indeed. We all watch the same movies, but we don't all watch movies the same way.
I don't think when people say "perfect" they mean it literally, it just a hyperbolic way of giving a positive praise about something. I don't think Beauty and the Beast is perfect, especially not animation wise, but it is one of the best and one of the most important films WDFA has made.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:01 PM   #16
Banned

Jun 2011
North Hollywood, CA

Quote:
The Godfather has a scene where Sonny punches a man with the sound effects out of sync and missing from a mile away. When people say a movie’s perfect, they mention the storytelling qualities, not the technical ones.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:38 PM   #17
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2008

Quote:
I don't think when people say "perfect" they mean it literally, it just a hyperbolic way of giving a positive praise about something. I don't think Beauty and the Beast is perfect, especially not animation wise, but it is one of the best and one of the most important films WDFA has made.
Right! That's my nice way of saying "hold your jets, Beauty and the Beast has some Katzenberg-era issues with line art shot-to-shot, sequence to sequence". It's my own issue, no one else needs to be bothered by it. But...when someone calls it perfect...my jaw starts to clench, I start thinking about unaddressed story issues, my own personal issues with the film (can you imagine a Beauty and the Beast where Gaston is not clearly Evil-Signalling from his first scene?), incongruous production values, blah blah blah...and even the sainted Pinocchio has some model issues.

These things drove Walt nuts. The craftsmanship of his films were, to him, as essential as the story. I get it. The craftsmanship, the novelty, was itself a form of entertainment. So...Beauty and the Beast? Has some issues, and everybody loves it regardless, and that's great. Never going to tell someone they shouldn't love what they love.

I said something rude a long time ago talking about the off-model get-it-done moments in Beauty and the Beast, I said it was a pimple on Bambi's ass or something similarly stupid, and I regret it. The production team had a budget they had to work in, with a time-frame they had to complete shots and the film proper, and it is very unfair to slag on a movie for not being Pinocchio or Fantasia.

In my head-space, though...no, can't call Beauty and the Beast "perfect", because I'm watching the animation the entire time.

We all watch the same movies, but we don't all watch them the same way. Beauty and the Beast is a terrific film. The animation in certain shots and some story elements (castle nobody knows about within walking distance from Belle's village? How old was the Prince when he was cursed again? Would the movie be stronger if we found out Gaston was evil at his core at the same time Belle realizes it?) are my own quibbles.

Last edited by Ernest Rister; 12-12-2019 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:47 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009

Hopefully this will mean Rogue One is around the corner.

A lot of these recently announced Disney titles are available in 4K/HDR on Disney+, so it's nice to see they're still getting physical releases.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:49 PM   #19
Special Member

Oct 2018

Yeah I'm not nitpicking the fairytale logic. It is what it is in these films, just like I don't care why nobody wonders how there humanoid fox and cat in Pinocchio or why did Cinderella's shoe fall if it was supposed to be a perfect fit. I think the remake was supposed to "fix" these nitpicks and thus created an unimaginative uninspired film.
I disagree about "Hans" Gaston. I think it works if we see through him from the start because the whole point was to present someone who is a complete jerk but people still idolize, just like in real life. We don't need another Hans who makes 180 as an unbelievable twist.
Anyway I also disagree about Walt's films being "Perfect" in regards to animation (maybe with the exception of Sleeping Beauty). I think Cinderella is the best example. She, like Belle, sometimes go off model and some of the designs change throughout the film, like her pink dress. Yet it is still a great movie, regardless of its flaws - animation and storytelling.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:56 PM   #20
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2008

Quote:
Yeah I'm not nitpicking the fairytale logic. It is what it is in these films, just like I don't care why nobody wonders how there humanoid fox and cat in Pinocchio or why did Cinderella's shoe fall if it was supposed to be a perfect fit. I think the remake was supposed to "fix" these nitpicks and thus created an unimaginative uninspired film.
I disagree about "Hans" Gaston. I think it works if we see through him from the start because the whole point was to present someone who is a complete jerk but people still idolize, just like in real life. We don't need another Hans who makes 180 as an unbelievable twist.
Anyway I also disagree about Walt's films being "Perfect" in regards to animation (maybe with the exception of Sleeping Beauty). I think Cinderella is the best example. She, like Belle, sometimes go off model and some of the designs change throughout the film, like her pink dress. Yet it is still a great movie, regardless of its flaws - animation and storytelling.
Different animators handled different shots...differently. Yeah, it's even in Pinocchio. It's just not as glaringly obvious. James Baxter Belle singing in the street, goes into library...suddenly off-model record scratch. Off-model Belle. Comes out of library, back to James Baxter. Sequence over, goes to see her daddy, holy mother nuclear record scratch.

Again, this is my issue, no one else's. I can only call my own balls and strikes when it comes to animation. We all see the same movies, but we don't all see movies the same way.

Last edited by Ernest Rister; 12-12-2019 at 08:01 PM.
Thanks given by:
rtrider (02-16-2020), that1guystudios (12-13-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies