Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
10 Cloverfield Lane 4K (Blu-ray)
$10.93
18 hrs ago
A Quiet Place (Blu-ray)
$9.81

Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$7.99
10 hrs ago
Seven Heavenly Virtues: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Avengers: Infinity War 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.34

Smallfoot (Blu-ray)
$22.95

Isle of Dogs (Blu-ray)
$13.96

The Glenn Miller Story (Blu-ray)
$15.57

Bohemian Rhapsody (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Dr. Seuss' The Grinch (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Miller's Crossing (Blu-ray)
$5.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Galleries

Old 04-06-2014, 08:36 PM   #20681

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman922 View Post
my best score is 73 on a par 7, im a 10 handicap haven't shot in the 70s for a while though.
I really like Billy Joel very good recordings . getting ready to spin some styx crystal ball

Haven't played Styx in ages......hmmm! They're like ELO and The Doobie Brothers and a few other bands. Wonderful music, but I never seem to get around playing them much anymore. I really should.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:41 PM   #20682
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
[/B]

Haven't played Styx in ages......hmmm! They're like ELO and The Doobie Brothers and a few other bands. Wonderful music, but I never seem to get around playing them much anymore. I really should.
well what are you waiting for ? fire up the nitty gritty cleaner get one cleaned up and get to spinning ! LOL im sure your enjoying something great anyway . still listening to APP ?
Old 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM   #20683
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerodude73 View Post
Just saw this, & "yes" it's old news Now, but I just found out they're playing in town here in July as part of the annual Newport Music Series downtown (under a pretty big tent they build each year for the shows; not sure of the seating capacity. We're the 5th stop, on July 13th, tickets $39.50-69.50 -- [actually, they come to $49.15 & $83.15 after fees]). See that news below this first story.

** YES announce Triple Album Tour in Canada for March 2014. **

** YesWorld.com **

YES - Live March 23rd 2014 / Calgary Jubilee Auditorium.

Yes - Live March 23rd 2014 / Calgary Jubilee Auditorium - YouTube

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

** Prog-rock legends YES have just announced a 35-date U.S. Summer Tour. **

Was a huge YES fan in the day and have seen them regularly till the 1980 tour for "Drama". That was the day YES died for me. Not saying the following on and offs have been bad, but to me they feel more like an old cover band now. Without Anderson, only half of the founders are left, and Anderson was so much more than a voice. The new kid rocks, no doubt, but I see great tribute bands do as good now.

My point is don't set your expectations too high if you have ever seen the original lineup. Last year's tour was many true fan's last. They just got old.

P.S. I didn't go last year it goes without saying but my die-hard buddy had to. He came back extremely disappointed.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:57 PM   #20684

Jul 2007

Quote:
well what are you waiting for ? fire up the nitty gritty cleaner get one cleaned up and get to spinning ! LOL im sure your enjoying something great anyway . still listening to APP ?
Played some Muddy Waters-Folk Singer and now I'm on to some John Lee Hooker-The Healer.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:39 PM   #20685

Jul 2007

Got some Stevie Wonder-Talking book on now and that I'll be it for the the R&B, Blues, etc...... just not sure what to cue up next however....
Old 04-06-2014, 09:42 PM   #20686

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
Was a huge YES fan in the day and have seen them regularly till the 1980 tour for "Drama". That was the day YES died for me. Not saying the following on and offs have been bad, but to me they feel more like an old cover band now. Without Anderson, only half of the founders are left, and Anderson was so much more than a voice. The new kid rocks, no doubt, but I see great tribute bands do as good now.

My point is don't set your expectations too high if you have ever seen the original lineup. Last year's tour was many true fan's last. They just got old.

P.S. I didn't go last year it goes without saying but my die-hard buddy had to. He came back extremely disappointed.
I was a fan, but never a huge one. Same with ELP. I'm not a huge fan of keyboard-centric music, although I think it's a fabulous instrument.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:53 PM   #20687
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
I was a fan, but never a huge one. Same with ELP. I'm not a huge fan of keyboard-centric music, although I think it's a fabulous instrument.
Have to say John though is that YES is better served live. Seems you need the size to fully appreciate all the layers in their music. But they were never pure visual treats like old time Genesis, Rush or the gold standard Floyd, but their true live sound is incredibly difficult to reproduce at home. I'm waiting on the newly S. Wilson remaster of the Yes Album, I believe having it in 5.1 will free up the layers more, I've never heard Yes in home sounding like their live sound. Now it's the same for everyone, but YES in particular. The most notable instrument to suffer is Chris Squire's bass, mostly his legendary Rickenbacker sound, live it was a beast
Old 04-06-2014, 10:16 PM   #20688

Jul 2007

Quote:
Have to say John though is that YES is better served live. Seems you need the size to fully appreciate all the layers in their music. But they were never pure visual treats like old time Genesis, Rush or the gold standard Floyd, but their true live sound is incredibly difficult to reproduce at home. I'm waiting on the newly S. Wilson remaster of the Yes Album, I believe having it in 5.1 will free up the layers more, I've never heard Yes in home sounding like their live sound. Now it's the same for everyone, but YES in particular. The most notable instrument to suffer is Chris Squire's bass, mostly his legendary Rickenbacker sound, live it was a beast
As a musician you have a better appreciation or understanding of that. I'm a consumer/listener and don't quite grasp some of the subtleties (layers) you mention as I have no reference.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:25 PM   #20689
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
florida

Quote:
I've seen yes live twice they were incredibly shows
Old 04-06-2014, 10:38 PM   #20690
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
florida

So what did you decide to spin next?
Old 04-06-2014, 10:46 PM   #20691

Jul 2007

Quote:
So what did you decide to spin next?
I said I was gonna move on , but then I cued up some Howard Roberts. It's very laid back jazz and great music to listen to without feeling the need to give it a critical listen (although one can). I posted a link earlier on Russ' thread, but here it is again.

Really cool jazz to just put on and go about your business......

Old 04-06-2014, 10:55 PM   #20692
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
As a musician you have a better appreciation or understanding of that. I'm a consumer/listener and don't quite grasp some of the subtleties (layers) you mention as I have no reference.
It's hard to describe as you evidently understand what I'm saying pertaining to live and our desire to recreate that.

But in the case of Yes, I guess the best way I could describe it is imagine having to record an orchestra, a symphony. While obviously classical is way more busy and involved, it's all in the layers and details. Now imagine having to record that but at 100dBs with every instrument tempting the limiters. You now lose the seaming endless dynamic range and low noise floor of classical when the band is in overdrive using instruments that are overdriven by choice, which is why recording hard rock only gets more complicated when bands are large. We're used to the trad 4-5 piece band, but when you add keys, as you earlier mentioned, you now mix 2 totally different types of sounds, on the one side, pure raw R&R and the other, all the layers the keys add.

One such band to sound incredibly awesome on a live album, and my favorite live album of all times, Purple's "Made in Japan" (a remastered BD is coming in a bit, pre-ordered the day it became available hehe).

Now we all know Jon Lord was in a league of his own. What many don't know is his classical background though, which is why Purple was in fact a live gig 1st, albums 2nd. No 2 shows were the same, and with the volatility between Gillan & Blackmore, like a box of chocolate, you never knew what you're going to get lol

All that said, that is one album that preserves all the energy and rawness of the band yet never sounds compressed by overdrive.

Then again, maybe it's just me lol

Quote:
I've seen yes live twice they were incredibly shows

Last edited by pentatonic; 04-06-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:23 PM   #20693
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada
Default Totem question

As this site's official long time Totem expert, did you ever hear of the Totem Drum (tactile subwoofer)? There's really nothing on this anywhere and I believe it's a fairly old product. I like the concept but wonder how good it truly was.

I see some available still (NIB)
Old 04-07-2014, 12:21 AM   #20694
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Feb 2008
Near Atlanta GA

How's the beef Johnny?
Old 04-07-2014, 01:57 AM   #20695
Blu-ray King

Nov 2008
On the sofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post
How's the beef Johnny?
Sore!
Old 04-07-2014, 06:56 PM   #20696
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2008
Middletown, RI (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")

Quote:

Lol - so wait - you haven't seen them "LIVE" in almost 35 Years????!!!!

Yes, I too Truly LOVE Jon Anderson & while this guy Does sound Very Much like him, which is good for those hearing the songs in Concert, I'll try to go with tempered expectations. I'd also rather they had Rick Wakeman on keyboards, though I'm sure Geoff Downes is a decent enough player

** I've seen them quite a few times; the first being the BIG GENERATOR tour, then many times since, but no shows since Jon was kicked out. **
Old 04-07-2014, 07:19 PM   #20697
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
NOLA

Quote:

Yes, I too Truly LOVE Jon Anderson & while this guy Does sound Very Much like him, which is good for those hearing the songs in Concert, I'll try to go with tempered expectations. I'd also rather they had Rick Wakeman on keyboards, though I'm sure Geoff Downes is a decent enough player

** I've seen them quite a few times; the first being the BIG GENERATOR tour, then many times since, but no shows since Jon was kicked out. **
I saw Yes during their Going For The One tour in 77 or 78. They were very good.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:50 PM   #20698

Jul 2007

Quote:
As this site's official long time Totem expert, did you ever hear of the Totem Drum (tactile subwoofer)? There's really nothing on this anywhere and I believe it's a fairly old product. I like the concept but wonder how good it truly was.

I see some available still (NIB)
Can't say I've ever heard of the Totem Drum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post
How's the beef Johnny?
It was mahvelous! Delicious and cooked perfectly RARE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Sore!
There are 2 ways I could answer that, but I think I'll refrain with both.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:11 PM   #20699
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:

I know. To be honest, as a very mental fan of the traditional British Prog invasion (which had to share with all the awesome hard rock), those years for me were in many cases the defining years of these bands and where you will find their masterpieces, and as all the grand prog bands, that usually meant 3-4 consecutive absolutely epic albums.

Seems that having lived and shared that time makes it hard to accept what I consider lesser albums, at least not the ones they will be remembered for.

So everything else, with all the multiple band members coming and going, just felt like a cover band, a very good cover band, but no more, at least it's the way I see it. Nobody needs to agree or not, it's just how I am towards music. I went 6 years without any Rush concerts and they are the ones I've seen the most, I lose count, Montreal, Quebec. But those years were not worth my time since there was much better other stuff to listen to.

But that's me lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRayFred View Post
I saw Yes during their Going For The One tour in 77 or 78. They were very good.

Then you must agree that while possibly still a decent concert, those shows were not concerts, they were happenings, very special events as the mood of the crowds, as those who shared know, was an experience in itself, at least at the good ol' Montreal Forum it was.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:12 PM   #20700
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Can't say I've ever heard of the Totem Drum.
I really can't find any info on those but I guess they must be at least 6-8 years ago. Seems like a neat thing, let me find a pic for you.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Galleries