Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Peter Pan (Blu-ray)
$11.65
16 hrs ago
A Quiet Place (Blu-ray)
$8.98

Lady and the Tramp (Blu-ray)
$13.10
14 hrs ago
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (Blu-ray)
$8.79
23 hrs ago
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Blu-ray)
$14.75
21 hrs ago
Moana (Blu-ray)
$13.46
20 hrs ago
Coco (Blu-ray)
$14.74

Avengers: Infinity War 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.34

Ant-Man and the Wasp 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.17
23 hrs ago
Wreck-It Ralph 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.34

Finding Nemo (Blu-ray)
$13.49
14 hrs ago
Tomb Raider (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 01-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
Power Member

Sep 2010
Minnesota
Default Why doesn't anyone make a Blu-ray Changer now?

Okay, this is more of a rant than a real question. Why doesn't anyone make a Blu-Ray changer anymore? I mean I know Sony had the BDP-CX960, but it is no longer in production, and commands a steep premium even used! I don't see the changer by S1 Digital listed on their site anymore. And honestly the Kalidascope changer doesn't really count. If you're going to shell out that kind of money you are better off buying a media server product from Mozaex. I think Crestron may still have one for big big bucks? So why hasn't Sony built another changer, or Pioneer or better yet Oppo? Its like an industry conspiracy or something! Were these things really that unpopular? I would imagine they could do one with a nice menu system, cover art, the whole nine yards now.

Quick edit:

I wanted to add that I wonder if the patent wars, and patent troll litigation hasn't stopped them pursuing it?

Last edited by Flatnate; 01-29-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
Special Member

May 2011

No need for it.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2008
LOTR Auckland, New Zealand (Down Under)

I agree a changer would be nice. One that could be linked to others. 900+ Blu's are getting a pain to store now.

Dono
Old 01-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
Power Member

Sep 2010
Minnesota

Well the Sony, held 400 discs. I'm no where near that yet. I mean yeah, you don't "need" one. I want one though. If a manufacturer was really ahead of the game you'd make it so if you bought a second you could slave it somehow and control multiple units through a "master unit". You could easily make them almost infinitely expandable.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2009
New York

Seems like a lot of work and expense just so you don't have to slip a BD out of the package and into a player. If you don't watch more than two movies a day, then why does one need a changer? (And even if you do). You know, it's good for the body to get up off the couch once in a while. Otherwise, we'll turn into the characters in Wall-E:
Quote:
the ship's original human passengers and their descendants have suffered from severe bone loss and become morbidly obese after centuries of living in microgravity and relying on the ship's automated systems for most tasks
Besides, these days, anyone who wants all those titles online at once is going to use a media server, not a clunky disc changer.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
Power Member

Sep 2010
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post
Seems like a lot of work and expense just so you don't have to slip a BD out of the package and into a player. If you don't watch more than two movies a day, then why does one need a changer? (And even if you do). You know, it's good for the body to get up off the couch once in a while. Otherwise, we'll turn into the characters in Wall-E:

Besides, these days, anyone who wants all those titles online at once is going to use a media server, not a clunky disc changer.
I can totally see where you're coming from. For me personally it's all about shelf space. I don't really have the desire to display them, but I don't want to get rid of all my jewel cases and cover art. I wouldn't mind boxing them up and throwing them in the attic to be honest.

You know to really make a changer successful you have to produce one at a price point below what a large expandable media server would cost. Otherwise, yeah they aren't worth really building anymore. Still, outside of Kalidascope (which is prohibitively costly and ridiculously expensive compared to the competition IMO) that leaves Mozaex, Vidabox, or XBMC on a home brew NAS and machine. I guess I haven't really researched how cheap home NAS hard disc space has become, but you kind of have to assume the ability to store 400 blu-ray movies to make a meaningful cost comparison. You also have to factor in power consumption unless you plan on powering down the system on a frequent basis. Some of these options could be real power hogs. I admit I haven't done the cost math on other options yet, but I think the case for a changer can still be made.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:36 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post
I agree a changer would be nice. One that could be linked to others. 900+ Blu's are getting a pain to store now.

Dono
A Blu-ray changer would be useless, and unnecessary. A person doesn't watch that many movies in one day, to justify owning a changer. Beside, a blu-ray changer may create loading problems, and delays, when inserting numerous of discs inside of a blu-ray changer to be played. What happens if the changer malfunction, and the tray refuse to open? Your blu-rays will be trapped inside the player, until the unit get repaired, enabling to remove the discs. A single disc blu-ray player is more than sufficient because, the length of an average movie is approximately 2 hours. It's not like you'll have to change the blu-rays every 30 minutes, or so. You'll have plenty of time to change the discs. Manufacturers do not recommend leaving disc(s) inside of any media player.

Last edited by slimdude; 03-08-2015 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #8
Blu-ray Prince

Mar 2012
Kansas City, MO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post

It'd be great for The Lord of the Rings Extended Editions, since I have to change those discs. It's not work, but it does break the continuity further than just changing to the next disc.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:42 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatnate View Post
Okay, this is more of a rant than a real question. Why doesn't anyone make a Blu-Ray changer anymore? I mean I know Sony had the BDP-CX960, but it is no longer in production, and commands a steep premium even used!

Quick edit:
I wanted to add that I wonder if the patent wars, and patent troll litigation hasn't stopped them pursuing it?
Probably a mechanical reliability problem child. Marketplace for this type of player didn't survive the period when BD media was significantly more expensive, so few sales.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:51 PM   #10
Power Member

Sep 2010
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
A Blu-ray changer would be useless, and unnecessary. A person doesn't watch that many movies in one day, to justify owning a changer. Beside, a blu-ray changer may create loading problems, and delays, when inserting numerous of discs inside of a blu-ray changer to be played. What happens if the changer malfunction, and the tray refuse to open? Your blu-rays will be trapped inside the player, until the unit get repaired, enabling to remove the discs. A single disc blu-ray player is more than sufficient because, the length of an average movie is approximately 2 hours. It's not like you'll have to change the blu-rays every 30 minutes, or so. You'll have plenty of time to change the discs No manufacturer recommends leaving disc(s) inside of any media player.
I dont' know about "useless". Am I the only guy on this forum that doesn't want to have shelves and shelves of discs on display? I even thought about buying one of those $100 dollar USB storage carousels at one time.

Still you make a valid point about the thing breaking down trapping your whole collection inside until you can get it repaired or do surgery. That would suck balls, and that is a valid concern. Yeah.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:03 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

there is a market for it, just not a huge one. it is like with cars - why is a cd changer not standard? with satelite radio, input jacks, usb jacks and fm transmitters for your ipod, it isn't needed like it was a decade ago. same with this - you can stream, have a hard drive with movies on it, etc, so a changer isn't really neccessary for the public. i only saw a handful of dvd players that ever had room for more than 1.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #12

Dec 2011
Raleigh, NC

Quote:
A Blu-ray changer would be useless, and unnecessary. A person doesn't watch that many movies in one day, to justify owning a changer. Beside, a blu-ray changer may create loading problems, and delays, when inserting numerous of discs inside of a blu-ray changer to be played. What happens if the changer malfunction, and the tray refuse to open? Your blu-rays will be trapped inside the player, until the unit get repaired, enabling to remove the discs. A single disc blu-ray player is more than sufficient because, the length of an average movie is approximately 2 hours. It's not like you'll have to change the blu-rays every 30 minutes, or so. You'll have plenty of time to change the discs. Manufacturers recommends leaving disc(s) inside of any media player.
That's a pretty narrow minded view. I have a setup which makes having a blu-ray changer far more convenient than having to get up after every movie and insert a new movie each time. We will watch 2-3 movies with company and we have watch movies all day while doing a marathon. None the less having every movie showing up on a mobile device like an ipad is really nice. No need to search through your collection of cases. Everything can be done while sitting down in the theater. Its easy to pass an iPad or Android device to your company to thumb through looking for a movie.

My sony DVD changer never jammed on me in the past 5 years or more. However sony's BD changer is another story. I have heard many people having issues with it including myself. I think they just screwed it up in the original design.

Now I don't have any mega changer since everything is blu-ray and they keep changing the profile. Once they stop supporting the hardware, there is a good chance the blu-ray player won't be able to play future titles because of the encryption scheme they use to keep people from making copies. It a real pain in the ass having to get up after every movie to put another one in then press play. Each movie - repeat. It gets annoying very fast if you know the convenience of having all you movies in a mega-changer. Select movie, watch, select next movie get more pop corn and drinks, sit down for the next movie. It's fantastic. Rather than getting up and putting in a movie that you may have ready is nice but people change their mind after watching a movie then you go to your collection and pick something out walk over to the player insert movie. I really miss having my blu-ray changer's but it jammed 2 times in less than 2 years due to physical problem with the blu-ray.

If you think that its nice to keep music files on a NAS for or something else like pandora radio or using your iphone and streaming the music to your stereo then I think you should also appreciate the same type of convenience you get having all your movies in one place.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #13
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dib2 View Post
That's a pretty narrow minded view. I have a setup which makes having a blu-ray changer far more convenient than having to get up after every movie and insert a new movie each time.
It's not a narrow-minded theory at all. What's the problem of you getting off your rump to change a movie every 2 hours, or so? To me, that's just being lazy! A person will have to get up sooner or later to stretch themselves, go to the bathroom, get a snack, or whatever. Unless you're a robot, no human being is able sit through 3 or 4 movies, without taking some kind of a break. Hell, moviegoers have to get up, and go to the restroom during one movie in the theater. You can't help when nature calls.

Last edited by slimdude; 01-30-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #14
Power Member

Jun 2010

Sounds like some want them so they don't have to keep the cases out on shelves more so than being lazy about getting up to change discs.

I can see that. I only have 300 or so movies across BR and DVD now and the shelves are a bit of an eyesore.

I don't know that I'd have much interest in a high capacity changer though. I more just need to get some media cabinets with doors rather than these open shelves. Will likely do that when I move in with the girlfriend as she especially hates the racks in the living room.

Moot if/when we get a place big enough to have a dedicated home theater room as we'd both care less then. But it is an eyesore to both of us being right in the middle of the living room.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #15

Dec 2011
Raleigh, NC

Quote:
It's not a narrow-minded theory at all. What's the problem of you getting off your rump to change a movie every 2 hours, or so? To me, that's just being lazy! A person will have to get up sooner or later to stretch themselves, go to the bathroom, get a snack, or whatever. Unless you're a robot, no human being is able sit through 3 or 4 movies, without taking some kind of a break. Hell, moviegoers have to get up, and go to the restroom during one movie in the theater. You can't help when nature calls.
Like I said it's your narrow minded view. It just adds more things to do after every movie and takes away time from me to interact with guest when I could just press a button. The repetitiveness of doing that over and over seems stupid when there is a solution but if you enjoy that, then fine. You could apply the same idea to a fridge. Why have a fridge with lots of food, just take you lazy ass to the store every day and buy it fresh. Do you have a fridge ?

Last edited by dib2; 01-30-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #16
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dib2 View Post
Like I said it's your narrow minded view. It just adds more things to do after every movie and takes away time from me to interact with guest when I could just press a button. The repetitiveness of doing that over and over seems stupid when there is a solution but if you enjoy that, then fine. You could apply the same idea to a fridge. Why have a fridge with lots of food, just take you lazy ass to the store every day and buy it fresh. Do you have a fridge ?
Well, you must don't work, because every occupational skills is repetitive. Working citizens gets accustomed to it, because it's only way to make money, and earn a living. Is making money stupid?

Last edited by slimdude; 01-30-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #17
Power Member

Sep 2010
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Sounds like some want them so they don't have to keep the cases out on shelves more so than being lazy about getting up to change discs.
+1 Bingo. That's it right there.

In a perfect world, I'd have like a small projection booth or equipment closet and line the walls with shelves and various media in there. Reality is another matter though.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #18
Power Member

Jun 2010

How is this something worth arguing over? Who cares if someone doesn't like manually changing discs and wants a changer?

The things people argue about and insult each other on the Internet never ceases to amaze me.
Thanks given by:
cybergrimes (09-21-2015), Paul.R.S (09-11-2017)
Old 01-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

how many movies are you watching at a time that the few minutes it takes to put the movie in the bluray player matter? i can understand a cd changer for a party or something so the music is always playing but unless you are doing a movie marathon, i don't see why you would want it. even there, you need to go to the bathroom sometime. the amount of time it takes you to walk to your shelf, find the movie and put it into the player can't be that much longer than the time it takes to scroll through your blurays in the changer for the one you want. i just don't see it as a huge time saver and it isn't like a cd changer in a car where it is hidden away so i don't see companies investing in this when it is such a small market.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #20

Dec 2011
Raleigh, NC

Quote:
Well, you must don't work, because every occupational skills is repetitive. Working citizens gets accustomed to it, because it's only way to make money, and earn a living. Is making money stupid?
I work but its not about laziness. I don't do mundane things over and over. I design apps and code so that I don't do keep writing the same thing over and over. Why should I 'work' when I am enjoying watching a movie with friends and family? Its time to be lazy and relax.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders