Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Deadpool 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Revenge (Blu-ray)
$6.99
20 hrs ago
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

The X-Files: The Complete Season 11 (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Skyscraper 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Heat (Blu-ray)
$3.99
23 hrs ago
Legion: The Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Fargo: Year Two (Blu-ray)
$6.99

A Cure for Wellness (Blu-ray)
$3.99
19 hrs ago
Homeland: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Spy Who Dumped Me 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 10-09-2018, 08:37 PM   #2061
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Now that you have a 4K Samsung I would not enable deep color to allow 4K HDR playback just yet.
I don't think we're talking about the same things here -- I'm not using the BDP-83 for 4K HDR playback (it doesn't support it)...only standard Blu-ray and DVD playback.

Should the Deep Color be enabled in the player then, as I was advised to before by Oppo when I had a Sony SXRD television?

Quote:
However as long as you don't see any handshake issues pop up you might derive a bit more color info from your BD playback by enabling the 30 or 36 deep color settings in the Oppo setup menu paired with color space Auto.

THAT'S what I'm asking...are you saying Deep Color SHOULD be used in the Oppo, or not? And should I be leaving the HDMI UHD COLOR setting in the TV for that HDMI input ON or OFF being that I don't have a UHD disc player yet?
Old 10-09-2018, 10:55 PM   #2062
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
I don't think we're talking about the same things here -- I'm not using the BDP-83 for 4K HDR playback (it doesn't support it)...only standard Blu-ray and DVD playback.

Should the Deep Color be enabled in the player then, as I was advised to before by Oppo when I had a Sony SXRD television?

THAT'S what I'm asking...are you saying Deep Color SHOULD be used in the Oppo, or not? And should I be leaving the HDMI UHD COLOR setting in the TV for that HDMI input ON or OFF being that I don't have a UHD disc player yet?
I was suggesting that its Ok to experiment with 30/36 bit with color space/depth = auto on the player as long as you don't encounter pink/grey/green HDMI handshake issue. Leave HDMI deep color enabling OFF on the Samsung since you don't have a UHD BD player.
Thanks given by:
IntelliVolume (10-09-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 11:04 PM   #2063
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2016

Quote:
I was suggesting that its Ok to experiment with 30/36 bit with color space/depth = auto on the player as long as you don't encounter pink/grey/green HDMI handshake issue.
Let me see if I have this right:

You're saying I CAN experiment with leaving Deep Color on 36-Bits (which it is now and always has been, per Oppo's original suggestions to me) in the Oppo...and I should leave Color Space on AUTO?

Quote:
Leave HDMI deep color enabling OFF on the Samsung since you don't have a UHD BD player.
You mean the "UHD HDMI COLOR" setting? If so, okay, I'll leave that off...

Will this setting make a difference when I get a UHD disc player and play DVD and regular Blu-rays on it? In other words, will the TV "know" a resolution that's under 2160 (without HDR) is coming in, and will that affect the UHD Color setting somehow?
Old 10-09-2018, 11:29 PM   #2064
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009

Quote:
Let me see if I have this right:

You're saying I CAN experiment with leaving Deep Color on 36-Bits (which it is now and always has been, per Oppo's original suggestions to me) in the Oppo...and I should leave Color Space on AUTO?
Yes

Quote:
You mean the "UHD HDMI COLOR" setting? If so, okay, I'll leave that off...

Will this setting make a difference when I get a UHD disc player and play DVD and regular Blu-rays on it? In other words, will the TV "know" a resolution that's under 2160 (without HDR) is coming in, and will that affect the UHD Color setting somehow?
Absolutely when you acquire a UHD BD player will want to enable the UDTV HDMI ports to accept HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 connectivity. (UHD HDMI COLOR)

A UHD BD player will automatically upscale all lower resolution DVD/BD content to 2160P SDR. On BD playback upscaling from 1080P to 2160P will provide you some increased color and picture details, in simple terms maximizing your media content when that is enabled. DVD should look the same quality. They made the players "smart" so that you don't have to worry about manually tweaking things with the default settings.
Thanks given by:
Old 10-09-2018, 11:41 PM   #2065
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2016

Quote:
Yes
Thank you.

Do you know if there is a native color space setting I should be forcing the Oppo into instead of using auto? On my previous display, a Sony SXRD, Oppo had told me that it natively sampled at "4:4:4," so they suggested I leave the player's color space forced at that value...however, I don't know what my current Samsung samples at...

Quote:
Absolutely when you acquire a UHD BD player will want to enable the UDTV HDMI ports to accept HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 connectivity. (UHD HDMI COLOR)
I shall...

Quote:
A UHD BD player will automatically upscale all lower resolution DVD/BD content to 2160P SDR. On BD playback upscaling from 1080P to 2160P will provide you some increased color and picture details, in simple terms maximizing your media content when that is enabled. DVD should look the same quality. They made the players "smart" so that you don't have to worry about manually tweaking things with the default settings.
Okay -- but what I'm referring to is that UHD HDMI COLOR setting in the TV that we were talking about...will this setting "know" that Blu-ray or DVD content will be coming over the HDMI input with this setting on (when those kinds of discs are played), and does anything "change" with regard to this?
Old 10-09-2018, 11:55 PM   #2066
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009

Quote:
Okay -- but what I'm referring to is that UHD HDMI COLOR setting in the TV that we were talking about...will this setting "know" that Blu-ray or DVD content will be coming over the HDMI input with this setting on (when those kinds of discs are played), and does anything "change" with regard to this?
The player would upscale DVD and BD content to 2160P SDR and the TV would accept that. With it enabled you would be able to play 4K UHD HDR, if not enabled you would see 4K SDR.
Thanks given by:
Old 10-09-2018, 11:59 PM   #2067
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2016

Quote:
The player would upscale DVD and BD content to 2160P SDR and the TV would accept that. With it enabled you would be able to play 4K UHD HDR, if not enabled you would see 4K SDR.
I think I see now; thanks.

Any suggestions on the forced color space setting for this display?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders