Best iTunes Music Deals

Best iTunes Music Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Beastie Boys: Ill Communication (iTunes)
$6.99

Ozzy Osbourne: The Ozzman Cometh (iTunes)
$6.99

Red Hot Chili Peppers: iTunes Originals: Red Hot Chili Peppers (iTunes)
$10.99

Sevendust: Black Out the Sun (iTunes)
$6.99

Vishal-Shekhar: Sultan (iTunes)
$3.99

Sevendust: Cold Day Memory (iTunes)
$6.99

Sevendust: Chapter VII: Hope & Sorrow (iTunes)
$6.99

Sevendust: Kill the Flaw (iTunes)
$6.99

Spiritualized: And Nothing Hurt (iTunes)
$4.99

Piero Piccioni: I fratelli Karamazov (iTunes)
$7.99

Sevendust: Time Travelers & Bonfires (iTunes)
$6.99

Sevendust: Next (iTunes)
$6.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 01-25-2022, 02:09 PM   #21
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2013
UK

Got me the SB1000. My dealer just pretty much repeated what has been said here. Also confirming I should steer well clear of the Kef T-series (it was a different person I asked the other day who was a bit less scathing).

Slightly bigger than the old cub, but the rounded corners help it not looking out of place.

I couldn't wait until everything else was sorted for calibration, so plugged it in (with the volume down for safety before edging it up).

So even without calibration, I can hear the difference. I can hear what I can only describe as more detail, and it's not just raw bass but higher at what I assume is the crossover levels as well.

I put on Moroder's Metropolis as I'm very familiar with the music, and what I heard very deep and detailed. Yes the sub thuds away but I'm hearing a preciseness I've never heard before. What surprised me was a weird effect in my ears, it was like my ear canals were vibrating! Is this the "room energising" effect?

I haven't got the isolation feet, my dealer said the ones included are probably sufficient, although I can feel (but can't hear) a lot of vibration in the floor around the sub - so is it still worth me getting the feet or is that going to happen regardless?

I've got a new question as well, what should LPF for LFE be set at in the receiver? It was at 150hz (matching the crossover of the Atmos modules) but I've read yesterday it should be maxed?

Last edited by oddbox83; 01-25-2022 at 02:45 PM.
Thanks given by:
CreasyBear (01-25-2022), Scarriere (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 03:43 PM   #22
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2019

Congrats on an excellent purchase! That was fast!

Yeah, still get the isolation feet or an Auralex SubDude. The SVS feet are better, imo, and look better. The little rubber feet they give you are better than nothing, but the isolation feet or SubDude will eliminate any rattling and provide even tighter bass. It's a must on wood floors.

LPF in the receiver should be set at default. On my Denon it's 120hz.
Thanks given by:
oddbox83 (01-25-2022), Scarriere (01-25-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 07:16 PM   #23
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2013
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreasyBear View Post
Congrats on an excellent purchase! That was fast!
I live a 5 minute walk away from an excellent independent AV dealer. It's both a blessing and a curse, but I mostly manage to avoid visiting when I don't need to.

So got my feet now as well.

I'm loving the app control for the SB1000. If I get concerned about a particular movie having too much bass for the neighbours, I can adjust it without faffing with the back of the sub and then put it back again all from the comfort of my seat.

I also had a look into the EQ options in the app. I can do a curve that gradually slopes down from the higher frequencies, so the most troublesome travelling lower ones will be slightly lower in volume without negatively impacting the rest of the subs range, should I wish. I think it should be called the "good neighbour curve".

Last edited by oddbox83; 01-28-2022 at 07:22 PM.
Thanks given by:
CreasyBear (01-28-2022)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion