Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Treasure of the Four Crowns 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.49

Flesh for Frankenstein 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$37.73

Godzilla vs. Kong 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.00

Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$23.99

World War Z 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.49
5 hrs ago
Tangled 3D (Blu-ray)
$41.41

Star Trek Into Darkness 3D (Blu-ray)
$36.49

The Maze 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.29

Parasite 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.33

Wings of the Hawk 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.27

IMAX: Dream Big: Engineering Our World 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.40

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 03-04-2022, 12:32 PM   #4001

Apr 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post
More like my interest in 4K was dead the moment it was put out without a 3D standard. I'm sure 4K would be considered "dead" by now also if 4K material were as hard to obtain and priced as high as 3D content.
But of course it's the opposite. Studios can make their current releases 4K HDR with a simple upconversion and color grading step (assuming it wasn't already 4K HDR in theaters). And studios have giant back catalogs of 35mm movies that can be rescanned in 4K HDR.

I bought an Xbox One S specifically because it supported both 3D and UHD Blu-ray. I still prefer 3D, but if a movie doesn't exist in 3D (like, at all), than 4K is great.
Old 03-06-2022, 06:31 AM   #4002
Power Member

Aug 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
But of course it's the opposite. Studios can make their current releases 4K HDR with a simple upconversion and color grading step (assuming it wasn't already 4K HDR in theaters). And studios have giant back catalogs of 35mm movies that can be rescanned in 4K HDR.

I bought an Xbox One S specifically because it supported both 3D and UHD Blu-ray. I still prefer 3D, but if a movie doesn't exist in 3D (like, at all), than 4K is great.
Are these processes that much cheaper than a 3D conversion? I've seen at least one deep pocketed media company dip out of scanning film to 2K due to cost.

While certainly smaller than the 35mm back catalog, there is a sizable stash of movies that are already converted to 3D but never released on physical media (or, sometimes, even theatrically), and films that were shot with 3D in mind.

It's a shame that Microsoft went from being the sole provider of UHD 3D players for the common man to charging a hefty premium for the privilege of physical media.
Old 03-06-2022, 04:32 PM   #4003

Apr 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Discovered_3D View Post
Are these processes that much cheaper than a 3D conversion? I've seen at least one deep pocketed media company dip out of scanning film to 2K due to cost.
Do you mean 4K? Because a 2K scan is bare minimum nowadays.

The T2 3D conversion reportedly cost around $6-7 million.
https://skynetsarmy.wordpress.com/20...rical-release/

The prices for 4K scanning are about double 2K, at least according to the Library of Congress, although it's still only $1,420 per hour of film:
https://www.loc.gov/rr/mopic/rates.html

On top of the scanning though is the rest of the restoration and remastering, and extra color grading for HDR, and the associated extra storage and processing power. However, it's still likely a fraction of a 3D conversion. Also, keep in mind that 3D conversions typically start with a new film scan, like how T2 got a new 4K scan for the 3D conversion, that's now been used for the UHD Blu-ray as well. So the 3D conversion is likely always going to cost more than just doing a new film transfer.

The fact that some films aren't getting 4K transfers just speaks to the razor-thin margins a lot of releases are budgeted with. It doesn't matter if the company has "big pockets," they're not going to spend more on a release than they expect to make back.

Also, there's sometimes other factors. I know CBS Digital remastered Star Trek TNG in 2K and not 4K due to costs, but I believe due to the "edited on video" aspect of the original SD edits, they had to scan nearly every film reel shot for the show to find the correct takes to re-edit the show, so the film transfer costs were likely considerably higher than for a movie/show where the final cut already exists on film negative. Now, they didn't fully remaster/color grade every reel, as you can see in the outtakes included as extras, but it was likely a lot of money.

Quote:
While certainly smaller than the 35mm back catalog, there is a sizable stash of movies that are already converted to 3D but never released on physical media (or, sometimes, even theatrically), and films that were shot with 3D in mind.
If by "smaller" you mean literally a fraction of a percent in comparison, I agree, especially once you factor in TV shows.

I got an HDTV relatively early, I think 2004 or 2005, and there were only a handful of HD channels available. However, a channel like HDNet could pad out its schedule with HD reruns of shows like Hogans Heroes or The Rockford Files. I don't think 3D channels ever had that depth of content to pull from.

Quote:
It's a shame that Microsoft went from being the sole provider of UHD 3D players for the common man to charging a hefty premium for the privilege of physical media.
I don't know what you're talking about. The Xbox One S was a great value at the time, but it wasn't the only UHD player that could also play 3D; I know because I was searching and doing comparisons before settling on the XB1S.

Like, here's a UHD Blu-ray player that can play 3D Blu-ray for $200:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-ub...?skuId=6454118

It's not a readily advertised feature anymore though, so you may have to dig into the manual to find that compatibility.
https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...p-x700/manuals
Thanks given by:
pixote (03-18-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 06:29 PM   #4004
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Jon Peddie Research: It’s National 3D Day! Time to Celebrate Stereo 3D Technology

https://www.displaydaily.com/article...-3d-technology
Thanks given by:
BeastCreatureTrapper (03-23-2022), emailking (03-24-2022), Jlardonio (03-23-2022), Joe D. (03-23-2022), Paul H (03-24-2022), RitwikKN2002 (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 11:59 PM   #4005
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2015

Happy belated 3D day to you guys!
Thanks given by:
Jay G. (03-25-2022), Jlardonio (03-25-2022), RitwikKN2002 (03-27-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 11:05 PM   #4006

Jun 2015
Houston, TX

Warner Bros is now doing the God of Destruction mode Fantastic Beasts 3 is not getting a 3D release.
Thanks given by:
Keviguane (04-01-2022)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Tags
3d t.v, 3d tv production halted, 4k3d, broadcast, external processor, ode, poping, resurrection