Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Major Dundee (Blu-ray)
$59.95
20 hrs ago
Indiana Jones: 4-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$79.99
 
Weird Wisconsin: The Bill Rebane Collection (Blu-ray)
$72.99
1 day ago
The Hot Spot (Blu-ray)
$19.99
15 hrs ago
Donnie Darko 4K (Blu-ray)
$32.99
 
Laurel & Hardy - The Definitive Restorations (Blu-ray)
$42.99
1 day ago
Cool as Ice (Blu-ray)
$17.99
1 day ago
Saw 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
 
Little Shop of Horrors (Blu-ray)
$9.99
1 day ago
The Amazing Spider-Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.58
1 day ago
Switchblade Sisters (Blu-ray)
$27.99
12 hrs ago
The Maltese Falcon (Blu-ray)
$9.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2018, 02:23 AM   #661
Nutcracker Nutcracker is offline
Member
 
Nov 2008
-
-
Default

The left one is the old upscale, I would assume.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:34 AM   #662
reason108 reason108 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
reason108's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
-
8
Default

Now that I am home, I can get a better look at the screenshots. And, yeah, the image on the left looks like an upscale and the right, the new 4k mastered image. I would like to see some shots of the Japanese print compared to the 4k mastered image. Sucks about the cropping and piss yellow tint on PS2.

It`s also interesting how some of Ritrovata`s remasters look halfway decent and others not so much.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:47 AM   #663
maksnew maksnew is offline
Banned
 
Jan 2013
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason108 View Post
Thanks for the screenshots but could you please provide some info here as to what we are looking at. Is one of these from the Japanese print and the other the main feature? Which one is which?
On the left is a 1080p Kam & Ronson drive with the right new 4K
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
reason108 (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 01:28 PM   #664
maksnew maksnew is offline
Banned
 
Jan 2013
1
Default

Comparison with the Japanese version



  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
reason108 (08-20-2018), spannick (08-21-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 06:06 PM   #665
Kubi123 Kubi123 is offline
Member
 
Feb 2015
Default

New japanese 4K remaster of Police Story 3
https://www.amazon.co.jp/ポリス...82%A7%E3%83%B3
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Ken81 (08-20-2018), OldPangYau (08-20-2018), spannick (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 07:01 PM   #666
apollo828 apollo828 is offline
Expert Member
 
Nov 2007
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubi123 View Post
New japanese 4K remaster of Police Story 3
https://www.amazon.co.jp/ƒƒ‚ƒ...82%A7%E3%83%B3
Thanks. Just for reference, there's also PS1 here and PS2 here. Looks like they'll have very few extras, unfortunately. I'm guessing they'll have the same yellow tint found on the Eureka set but who knows.

In any event, PS3 is a good sign that things are moving. I just hope there's a HK release, or a release in a territory where it won't cost $US45 + shipping.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:44 PM   #667
OldPangYau OldPangYau is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
OldPangYau's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
596
194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashback8 View Post
In any event, PS3 is a good sign that things are moving. I just hope there's a HK release, or a release in a territory where it won't cost $US45 + shipping.
Sadly it's been quiet on the HK blu front with these new restorations, with the last releases being the Bruce Lee films back in 2016. Either K&R no longer have a deal with Fortune Star, or FS is looking at the "bigger picture" with region-locked releases in various countries. So while an HK release would definitely be cheaper, it may not happen... Hell, it would be riddled with remixes anyway.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:45 PM   #668
reason108 reason108 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
reason108's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
-
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPangYau View Post
Sadly it's been quiet on the HK blu front with these new restorations, with the last releases being the Bruce Lee films back in 2016. Either K&R no longer have a deal with Fortune Star, or FS is looking at the "bigger picture" with region-locked releases in various countries. So while an HK release would definitely be cheaper, it may not happen... Hell, it would be riddled with remixes anyway.
Yeah, but, its all ok cause everybody else is also getting remixes even if they dont request them.

Also guessing those new Japanese releases wont contain English subs either.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:32 AM   #669
OldPangYau OldPangYau is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
OldPangYau's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
596
194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason108 View Post
Also guessing those new Japanese releases wont contain English subs either.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:18 AM   #670
maksnew maksnew is offline
Banned
 
Jan 2013
1
Default

The Japanese also made 4K recovery to three parts

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07FMYGZNS/
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07GGS4FQ4/
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07GGRW5VR/
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07GH3K1G2/
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
spannick (08-21-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 01:37 PM   #672
sqgjw344 sqgjw344 is offline
Junior Member
 
Aug 2018
Default

I will buy these products.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:39 PM   #673
reason108 reason108 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
reason108's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
-
8
Default

Let me guess, the non PS releases are perhaps just a re-release of the previously released Japanese theatrical releases? If so, then I can wait for possibly 88 to release the 2k HK version.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 03:07 AM   #674
OldPangYau OldPangYau is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
OldPangYau's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
596
194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason108 View Post
Let me guess, the non PS releases are perhaps just a re-release of the previously released Japanese theatrical releases? If so, then I can wait for possibly 88 to release the 2k HK version.
That's how it looks... if they're just the ones from the most recent "Fist Collection" box set, then they're each 2-disc blu-rays with the older upscale disc on disc 1 and the true HD (unremastered) Japanese theatrical cut on disc 2.

As it's been three years since spotting evidence of (the infamous) L'Immagine Ritrovata restoring Dragon Fist and Shaolin Wooden Men, I'm starting to wonder if we'll ever see the new restorations.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:13 AM   #675
reason108 reason108 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
reason108's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
-
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPangYau View Post
That's how it looks... if they're just the ones from the most recent "Fist Collection" box set, then they're each 2-disc blu-rays with the older upscale disc on disc 1 and the true HD (unremastered) Japanese theatrical cut on disc 2.

As it's been three years since spotting evidence of (the infamous) L'Immagine Ritrovata restoring Dragon Fist and Shaolin Wooden Men, I'm starting to wonder if we'll ever see the new restorations.

I wonder if that is what 88 Films will be getting?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:25 AM   #676
OldPangYau OldPangYau is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
OldPangYau's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
596
194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason108 View Post
I wonder if that is what 88 Films will be getting?
Well, they're certainly taking their sweet time announcing whatever is next in their 88 Asia Line!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:04 AM   #677
reason108 reason108 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
reason108's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
-
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPangYau View Post
Well, they're certainly taking their sweet time announcing whatever is next in their 88 Asia Line!

Yeah, they should just give us the letters like they did with the SB titles. That would at least give us something to hang on to.

I would bet that at least Nova would be down for re-releasing Fearless Hyena since they`ve released it before. The only other older JC titles that I want are Dragon Fist and Snake & Crane Arts of Shaolin. So, worse case I would pick up the Japanese release. Are there any burnt-in English subs or dubs on these theatrical prints? Spiritual Boxer isn't necessarily a film that I would buy or watch again. And, can't say that I remember anything much about Shaolin Wooden Men. But, it might be something to pick up if it was cheap enough. Either way, the next several months should be interesting as we find out what we will be getting.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:50 AM   #678
spannick spannick is offline
Senior Member
 
Jan 2016
1
224
14
Default

these should be from the 8 Movie Box Set, which were all 35mm Transfers in real HD of Japanese Prints on their own Blurays (no SD Upscale was included on them)

except "To Kill with Intrigue" all have burned JP Side Subtitles. and To Kill is not listed as single release, maybe it was out before, don't know. only have the Box Set.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:30 AM   #679
Magic Monkey Magic Monkey is offline
Special Member
 
Jan 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason108 View Post
I wonder if that is what 88 Films will be getting?
I've been reading about this 88 Films and their probable(?) coming JC releases a few times now from this forum; is there a source for these rumors? In this forum, or somewhere else? Thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:00 PM   #680
zee944 zee944 is offline
Member
 
Oct 2015
Default

OldPangYau,

have you ever posted your review (and screencaps) of the HD To Kill With Intrigue? I can see you've promised it last year but it's not here. No one complained or talked about it after that, so maybe it was posted somewhere else or a bunch of posts got deleted. Anyway, I'm just curious how it looks like and what was your impression.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:47 PM.