Best Xbox SX Games Deals

Best Xbox SX Games Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Falconeer - Day One Edition (Xbox XS)
$24.99

NBA 2K21 (Xbox XS)
$86.99

SCARLET NEXUS (Xbox XS)
$59.99

Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate (Xbox XS)
$39.99

Assassin's Creed Valhalla (Xbox XS)
$34.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox Series X

Old 01-26-2021, 04:38 AM   #21
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
Yeah I guess my point is it didnít surprise me 1 bit MS tried to see if they could double the price of Gold.

It wouldnít surprise me either if Sony tried to double the price of Plus.
They would also get the same backlash, and it would make even less sense than Microsoft doing it since Sony has nothing to push people to. While it was an awful decision, at least Microsoft has Game Pass Ultimate to push people to, the likely reason for trying to double the price. It wouldn't push people to PS Now since you would still need PS Plus since there's no combo subscription like Game Pass Ultimate.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:32 PM   #22

Apr 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilloWertz View Post
They would also get the same backlash, and it would make even less sense than Microsoft doing it since Sony has nothing to push people to. While it was an awful decision, at least Microsoft has Game Pass Ultimate to push people to, the likely reason for trying to double the price. It wouldn't push people to PS Now since you would still need PS Plus since there's no combo subscription like Game Pass Ultimate.
You dont need PS + to play online PS Now games.

https://blog.playstation.com/2019/10...0Now%20service.

"In addition, you can enjoy PS4 and PS3 multiplayer games online through PS Now without a PlayStation Plus subscription. PS Plus is required for online multiplayer access for PS4 and PS3 games outside of the PS Now service."

Last edited by ma5cmpb; 01-26-2021 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:36 PM   #23

Apr 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuasidodoJr View Post
There is so much fantastic content on GamePass, especially if you actually dig into some of the incredibly fun and deep indie game titles.

I guess it can depend on your personal situation, but I canít understand how so many people are okay with paying Netflix $18 a month at $216/year, but canít see the value in the GamePass. :shrug:
If you play alot of online games then Gamepass is not worth it. There are people out there who only play games like Fortnite, Warzone, Fifa, NBA 2k, Madden etc.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:06 PM   #24
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013

If anyone is paying monthly for the service, then they shouldn't do it for a year.

So much cheaper just to get the Year...or just wait for sales.

But complaining about the value when you're doing it in the most expensive way possible just kind of falls on deaf ears for me..
Thanks given by:
ArchiTech (01-28-2021), BillieCassin (01-31-2021)
Old 01-28-2021, 08:20 PM   #25

Aug 2013
SoCal (Anaheim)

I wonder how many defending GamePass pay the actual full price, and haven’t just taken advantage of the “spend $1 to upgrade (up to) 3 years worth of XBL Gold to GamePass Ultimate”? $1 is a great deal for 36 months of GamePass Ultimate, but it was meant to entice people to the new service and create a base (along with incentivizing word of mouth advertising). I only purchased enough Gold to last till December 2020 for that $1 deal, but did not change my settings from automatic billing (to a now deactivated debit card). I was not able to deactivate or cancel GamePass Ultimate (after the service stopped in Dec) and was required to add a new bank card which was automatically charged full price for a month of GamePass Ultimate. Still not sure if I can go back to XBL Gold, or if I’m being strongarmed into keeping the service.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:21 PM   #26
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010

I'm on a deal (bought 2 cheap years of Gold and converted to Gamepass), but I think it would be worth it even if I was paying the full $15 a month as I'm constantly playing games on it. Maybe at some point I'll get caught up and it won't be worth keeping full time, but even then it would still be worth it to grab a month or three there or there when an exclusive I want to play hits. Way cheaper to pay $15 a month than $70 for one exclusive game and it also of course gives access to anything else on there I want to check out or replay after finishing that new game.

It's not for everyone for sure, but is fantastic for someone like me who couldn't give less of a sh!t about owning games or other media anymore. I'm all about finding cheap ways to fill my gaming and media consumption time these days. Gamepass, PS+ games, Epic freebies on PC etc. are going to be a majority of my game playing going forward while I'm much more selective about the AAA games I buy and play near launch. Most of those I'll buy physical so I can sell once I beat or drop them to keep costs down.

Just have zero interest in collecting crap any more and realized I almost never replayed games, rewatched movies or shows etc. I'd rather just experience new things for the first time, so Gamepass, streaming services etc. make more sense. And, while we make good money, we're more focused on being frugal and saving more toward retirement and being able to quit working sooner and travel around so taking advantage of these things and buying way fewer games is a small step in that direction. Both in money saved and having less clutter to sell off/donate down the road when we downsize.

Granted, this is a movie site rather than a gaming site, so I get that many probably don't play enough games to get the value that someone like me who usually plays at least a few hours evertdat does. I've mostly quit watching movies and just play games, watch a couple shows with the wife and watch some sports these days. I also don't really play online games or other things that take me 100+ hours to finish so I churn through a decent amount of games every year. Gamepass etc. doesn't make a lot of sense for online gamers who mostly just play a few games a year.
Old 01-30-2021, 12:51 AM   #27
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2017
Gotham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchiTech View Post
I wonder how many defending GamePass pay the actual full price, and havenít just taken advantage of the ďspend $1 to upgrade (up to) 3 years worth of XBL Gold to GamePass UltimateĒ? $1 is a great deal for 36 months of GamePass Ultimate, but it was meant to entice people to the new service and create a base (along with incentivizing word of mouth advertising). I only purchased enough Gold to last till December 2020 for that $1 deal, but did not change my settings from automatic billing (to a now deactivated debit card). I was not able to deactivate or cancel GamePass Ultimate (after the service stopped in Dec) and was required to add a new bank card which was automatically charged full price for a month of GamePass Ultimate. Still not sure if I can go back to XBL Gold, or if Iím being strongarmed into keeping the service.
Honestly I do t know why Microsoft was even going to try to alienate millions of people. Not everyone wants game pass and Iím one of them. Iím not interested in a Netflix style gaming subscription. I want to own my games. I just donít see the value in game pass and nothing the do can change that. If they ever got rid of or charged more for 1 years of Xbox Live then Iíll be done.
Old 01-30-2021, 01:10 AM   #28
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2007
Cincinnati, OH
Send a message via AIM to QuasidodoJr

I pay full price for GamePass and absolutely still love it. Again, I still buy games too. But I can find dozens of games to play at any give time, and they are always adding new games. Not just a few a month, either. Each month they probably add ten + games.
Old 01-30-2021, 01:16 AM   #29
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2017
Gotham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuasidodoJr View Post
I pay full price for GamePass and absolutely still love it. Again, I still buy games too. But I can find dozens of games to play at any give time, and they are always adding new games. Not just a few a month, either. Each month they probably add ten + games.
Yeah but they shouldnít be forcing people to get it. I get love to play online every once in a while and the discounts during sales are good.
Old 01-31-2021, 04:20 AM   #30
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman90 View Post
Yeah but they shouldnít be forcing people to get it. I get love to play online every once in a while and the discounts during sales are good.
Yeah, that was their biggest mistake. Obviously it doesn't matter much now since they reversed their plans, but people definitely hate being forced into something.

Now, if it was Sony instead, a lot of people would have likely said "yes, please". There does seem to be a lot more blind loyalty there. Not that I really feel bad for Microsoft in this case as they earned the backlash, but I believe Sony would have stayed the course, so I'll give Microsoft a bit of credit at least.
Old 01-31-2021, 04:42 AM   #31
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2017
Gotham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilloWertz View Post
Yeah, that was their biggest mistake. Obviously it doesn't matter much now since they reversed their plans, but people definitely hate being forced into something.

Now, if it was Sony instead, a lot of people would have likely said "yes, please". There does seem to be a lot more blind loyalty there. Not that I really feel bad for Microsoft in this case as they earned the backlash, but I believe Sony would have stayed the course, so I'll give Microsoft a bit of credit at least.
Yeah believe me Iím gladly Microsoft did the right thing as well and you are 100% correct about if it was Sony they would have done it regardless.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox Series X