Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Last Duel 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
16 hrs ago
A Clockwork Orange 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Menace II Society 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Krampus 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Citizen Kane 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Invasion of the Body Snatchers 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.77
16 hrs ago
Venom: Let There Be Carnage 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Free Guy 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Tenet 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96

No Time to Die 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Zack Snyder's Justice League Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$55.99

Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$48.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 11-02-2017, 08:01 PM   #1

Jan 2017
Default UHD Player for Downscaling

Good Afternoon,

I have an Epson 3500, so I am only seeing things in 1080 SDR. I do have Atmos speakers, though, so I've been using an Xbox One S to downscale UHD's.

My question is whether or not I could have better video quality playing the regular Blu Ray or using a different UHD player to downscale?

I didn't think I was missing anything, but then I heard a comment that downscaling HDR to SDR, specifically with Dolby Vision can net a better picture than a regular Blu Ray.

I then found comments that there is variability in the downscaling quality of some players.

Finally, I came across this blog...http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/4k...splay/...which appears to conclude that there can be some loss of picture quality downscaling.

Any help?

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2017, 08:34 PM   #2
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozerhead View Post
Good Afternoon,

I have an Epson 3500, so I am only seeing things in 1080 SDR. I do have Atmos speakers, though, so I've been using an Xbox One S to downscale UHD's.

My question is whether or not I could have better video quality playing the regular Blu Ray or using a different UHD player to downscale?

I didn't think I was missing anything, but then I heard a comment that downscaling HDR to SDR, specifically with Dolby Vision can net a better picture than a regular Blu Ray.

I then found comments that there is variability in the downscaling quality of some players.

Finally, I came across this blog...http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/4k...splay/...which appears to conclude that there can be some loss of picture quality downscaling.

Any help?

Thanks!
All UHD blu-ray players are subjected to 1080p downscaling, which will result in loss of video quality (regardless of the brand) if the video monitor is not 4K compatible, including HDR, Dolby Vision or both. Buying UHD Blu-rays (even though they're digital intermediate 4K upconverted) is the best video presentation available. When you're downscaling UHD blu-rays to 1080p resolution, you are defeating the purpose of purchasing UHD-blu-rays. If you are not planning to upgrade your projector to 4K, I would continue buy the standard 1080p blu-rays, which are much cheaper.
Thanks given by:
Wingman1977 (08-14-2019)
Old 11-02-2017, 08:41 PM   #3
Blu-ray Emperor

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Hmmm. Advice from HDD or slimdude, talk about being caught between the devil and the deep blue sea.

The Panasonic players have the best downconversion on the market IMO. It's not perfect (because HDR to SDR conversion is a PITA) but they do a better all-round job with SDR than the other players I've tried (OPPO and the Sony).
Thanks given by:
OI8T12 (11-02-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 08:43 PM   #4
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

It very much depends on how your player handles HDR to SDR conversion. Then it will depend on the differences between the UHD BD (some will have newer transfers like The Mummy) and BD. The good news is, as each UHD BD release comes with a Blu-ray you can put the process to the test and see the difference.

I'd imagine the difference isn't going to be huge, but it depends on what Atmos is worth to you. Although you could probably in theory run a BD and UHD BD together if you think BDs look preferable.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:19 PM   #5

May 2008
Long Island
-
-
-

From my experience, I have Streamed 4k Video from YouTube & Netflix to my 60" Pioneer Kuro Elite which Downscales to 1080p and it looks Fantastic. As good if not Better than a 1080p BluRay Disc from a BluRay Player.
Thanks given by:
MartinScorsesefan (08-23-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 06:18 PM   #6

Jan 2017

I am bumping this old thread to see if anything new has come out the last couple of years? I still have the Epson 3500 and a 5.1.4 set up. I still have the X Box One S. $500 for a Panasonic is out of reach.

My other thought was an Apple TV as that would stream Atmos, but it isn't going to sound as good as a disc.

Thanks!
Old 11-25-2021, 08:13 AM   #7

May 2011

Bumping this if anyone has any new info on the subject.

I have a 2K Epson EH-TW7200 SDR projector and would like to update my player to 4K mainly because many remastered transfers are released only on UHD discs (Predator, Air Force One, Groundhog Day to name a few that I can think of right now).

This article from 2017 (https://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/4...1080p-display/) regarding this matter indicates that the HDR->SDR conversion is the biggest problem and image quality would be worse than watching a 2K disc.
Old 11-26-2021, 12:47 PM   #8

May 2011

Panasonic DP-UB420 maybe?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 4K Ultra HD > 4K Ultra HD Players, Hardware and News