Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Cyber Monday Deals are Now Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
A Clockwork Orange 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Menace II Society 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Citizen Kane 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$48.99

Krampus 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Uncut Gems 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Halloween III: Season of the Witch 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.19

Zack Snyder's Justice League Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$55.99

Free Guy 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99

No Time to Die 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Venom: Let There Be Carnage 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Tenet 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 11-24-2021, 08:37 PM   #4961
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
-

Wasn't there some crazy sale on the 4K trilogy a bit back? This is one of the few titles that I keep hoping are going to show up as deals this week.
Old 11-24-2021, 10:08 PM   #4962

Oct 2021

Slightly off topic. Laurence Fishburne in (remake) Assault on Precinct 13, HD-DVD.
The colour on this movie is dismal. I don't like modern day movies using this, undesirable colour effect.
Colour effect makes his skin tone almost look like, "purple shirt matrix effect".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 46521773_10156665159005149_8352205918783406080_n.jpg (78.7 KB, 199 views)
Thanks given by:
HeightOfFolly (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 10:14 PM   #4963
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Gun View Post
Seems like the entire picture is more teal than before. Combined with the sun hitting the garage at the right moment, it just brings out the turquoise paint more.

Not close enough to what's going on in The Matrix. Turquoise is still turquoise. It didn't become blue or pink or whatever. But thanks for reminding me I need to upgrade this.
Basic Instinct UHD is a teal and orange shitfest travesty. It, along with the Total Recall UHD are probably the worst of the bunch. I recommend against supporting this revisionist nonsense.
Thanks given by:
OutOfBoose (11-25-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 10:15 PM   #4964

Oct 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by bludarkknight View Post
Slightly off topic. Laurence Fishburne in (remake) Assault on Precinct 13, HD-DVD.
The colour on this movie is dismal. I don't like modern day movies using this, undesirable colour effect.
Colour effect makes his skin tone almost look like, "purple shirt matrix effect".
Maybe he was wearing The Holy Shirtô️ in that shot?
Old 11-24-2021, 11:04 PM   #4965
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011

Seeing the IB print made me realize how different the film looked to all video versions and how while they were playing with tints a bit it was still a 1999 film with a wonderful gritty edge of being an outlier. Later in the sequels they go to go to town with their original what if ideas due to massive budgets and carte blanche...and we all know where that went.

What I wonder is how much of the new blue-ish look is due to the original supervised grading and how much might be due to WB at the end of things. Several other WB releases have teal blueish tones creeping in where they shouldn't and this issue derails (not counting the infuriating audio remixes) the otherwise grand Batman Returns 4K master for me. The blues are even slightly there in the 89 4K master.

Road Warrior got a 5.1 bump on the snapper case DVD just as the Batman films did. Warner started doing these sonic discrete upgrades on certain titles for the DVD debut even when they were just porting LD masters. These essentially took the place of what would have been final release Laserdisc ac3 5.1 reissues. On Road Warrior IIRC it was just a discrete bump of the LD 2.0 but like most seems to have lost a degree of potency somehow. On Batman 89 it retains the same bassier low end feel I love from the LD 2.0 with a discrete rendering. I still prefer these to the new audio transfer that showed up on the 2005 SE DVD and carried over to the BD. Though that one was cleaner and more detailed it didn't have the same weight to it. Returns onward had 5.1 mixes theatrically though the Returns one was very limited in its release. The 2.0 matrix is the same mix but while narrowed a bit has its own warmth and ambience. I got to experience it theatrically in SR which was cool. Forever is one of those random 90's films with a better done 2.0 matrix than the discrete.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (11-25-2021)
Old 11-25-2021, 01:11 AM   #4966

Oct 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noremac Mij View Post
Basic Instinct UHD is a teal and orange shitfest travesty. It, along with the Total Recall UHD are probably the worst of the bunch. I recommend against supporting this revisionist nonsense.
Maybe a worldwide movie and collector, boycotting of all cinemas, streaming and physical discs and lets see when the movie industry starts crying for our money. I think its a good way to negotiate for our consumer demands, don't you think? Cos blu and 4k up till many years ago has been one, giant hungry money s.o.b and I'm sick and tired of botched colour. botched aspect framing. near field mixes that have no place. sick and tied of it all.
Old 11-25-2021, 01:28 AM   #4967
Blu-ray Emperor

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
For once I agree with you, Basic Instinct's grading is too weird even for me. Makes it look like a two-strip Technicolor film.
Thanks given by:
OutOfBoose (11-25-2021)
Old 11-25-2021, 01:32 AM   #4968
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
For once I agree with you, Basic Instinct's grading is too weird even for me. Makes it look like a two-strip Technicolor film.
Then what's the version to get. Still the 4K? My mediocre screenshots are from the 2007 version.
Old 11-25-2021, 01:48 AM   #4969
Blu-ray Emperor

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Then what's the version to get. Still the 4K? My mediocre screenshots are from the 2007 version.
The old disc is quite shitty in its own way, being some old telecine smacked with DNR. What's the answer then? Have you taken a moment to think upon our Lord and Saviour, Laserdisc, and how he died for our sins?
Thanks given by:
HeightOfFolly (11-25-2021)
Old 11-25-2021, 01:52 AM   #4970
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law212 View Post
Sharon was such a hottie.

dont stick your junk in crazy tho, sometimes it just aint worth it
Old 11-25-2021, 02:38 AM   #4971
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2018

Quote:
The old disc is quite shitty in its own way, being some old telecine smacked with DNR. What's the answer then? Have you taken a moment to think upon our Lord and Saviour, Laserdisc, and how he died for our sins?
My go to version for both The Matrix and Basic Instinct will continue to be LD. And I will apologize for nothing. There are plenty of super UHDís out there and Iíll continue to support those. I donít blindly shill something, just because itís a UHD.
Old 11-25-2021, 02:38 AM   #4972
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchg View Post
dont stick your junk in crazy tho, sometimes it just aint worth it
In this case, Iíll take the risk.
Old 11-25-2021, 02:53 AM   #4973

Oct 2021

Best Basic Instinct transfer I seen.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (11-25-2021), Markgway (11-25-2021), OutOfBoose (11-25-2021)
Old 11-25-2021, 03:17 AM   #4974
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2020

Quote:
I think the only LaserDiscs I've watched were some Madonna and Kate Bush that never came to later formats.

Thanks given by:
Geoff D (11-25-2021), Nitroboy (11-25-2021)
Old 11-25-2021, 11:52 AM   #4975

Jul 2014

Quote:
This phobia of teal and orange makes me crack up, especially when many classic movies originally had more teal and orange in 35mm than any of the previous, grey-ish, magenta telecine home video versions allowed them to.

I still LOL @ the outrage over The Terminator being so teal-y. And then you look at the 35mm copies:

...and the remaster may be slightly more teal, but it was supposed to be there to begin with.

Yet some people still have the nerve to bring forward the narrative that older movies are mostly supposed to look like they did on the dated telecine masters. Nostalgia's a *****.

Of course you may be right about Basic Instinct. I'd have to look it up. But damn if gratitious teal phobia ain't a thing in here.

Last edited by -JKR-; 11-25-2021 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-25-2021, 01:10 PM   #4976

Jun 2013

So now you post some film cells, huh?
There you go: https://postimg.cc/gallery/XJ7809V

In THE MATRIX, talking about being tealized is justified.
Old 11-25-2021, 03:23 PM   #4977
Power Member

Feb 2015

Quote:
Seems like the entire picture is more teal than before. Combined with the sun hitting the garage at the right moment, it just brings out the turquoise paint more.

I'm pretty sure that's not how the Sun works and as you can see on your screenshots, the building did not change the color on the old BD.

On UHD even the building in the background becomes almost green.
Old 11-25-2021, 03:31 PM   #4978

Jul 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjuro_61 View Post
So now you post some film cells, huh?
There you go: https://postimg.cc/gallery/XJ7809V

In THE MATRIX, talking about being tealized is justified.
I have already posted The Matrix cells before in this very topic (just go back a page or two), stating that the 4K remaster is the most representative of the theatrical prints so far IMO (despite some tinkering here and there).

You people have a deeply ingrained and often unwarranted phobia of teal. One might think that you drowned in the sea when you were children or something.

Last edited by -JKR-; 11-25-2021 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-25-2021, 03:40 PM   #4979
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007

Regarding Basic Instinct on UHD BD, I see it available on Amazon for import at around $33 (USD) shipped and each time I get ready to order it, something stops me. But then it's got to be overall better than the old SC BD. I hate titles like this which are in a limbo (like T2 and a few others).
Old 11-25-2021, 04:08 PM   #4980
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2015
The City

Tealminator could roll back a bit of yellow at times, but overall looks satisfying and largely faithful. Even if it took me some time to get used to it after two decades of Magentator, which is much further away from theatrical colors.

I believe it's something that 4K will improve, unless JC puts his hands on it.

Though, in defense of JC, T2 color grading (and even Titanic with Aliens) looks great overall, except for one shot that I don't like and you know which one.
Thanks given by:
-JKR- (11-25-2021), Geoff D (11-25-2021)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 4K Ultra HD > 4K Blu-ray and 4K Movies