Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Revenge (Blu-ray)
$6.99

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Deadpool 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

The X-Files: The Complete Season 11 (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Skyscraper 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Legion: The Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Heat (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Predator: 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.96
7 hrs ago
Homeland: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Spy Who Dumped Me 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

A Cure for Wellness (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Blu-ray)
$3.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

View Poll Results: Star Wars or Star Trek?
Star Wars 119 64.67%
Star Trek 65 35.33%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #21
Banned

Apr 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
Captain Kirk would have slapped that whiny baby Anakin around and then slept with Padme.
I think Kirk vs Han is more fair .
As much as I love Han, Kirk would have probably banged Leia before they even reached Yavin IV .

As far as him being duped by Lando goes, Kirk was duped loads of times in TOS . I love Kirk's sophistication though. He reminds me of Connery's Bond.

Note that I'm talking about Shatner's Kirk.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #22
Special Member

Jan 2012
NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fassbenderfan View Post
I expected an even fight...
So did I. Jar Jar and the SEs, what's not to love. Lol

I like both so it's hard for me to pick. I prefer Kirk over Han, and Spock over Yoda. I can't compare Spock to Chewbacca, seems wrong. But Vader and the Emperor can't be beat as villians. It's 50/50 for me.

Last edited by jjdpw50; 01-20-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:34 PM   #23
Banned

Apr 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdpw50 View Post
So did I. Jar Jar and the SEs, what's not to love. Lol

I like both so it's hard for me to pick. I prefer Kirk over Han, and Spock over Yoda. But Vader and the Emperor can't be beat as villians. It's 50/50 for me.
It's hard for everybody, that's the point .

Use Leia vs Uhura and the starships as the tie breaker .
Old 01-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #24
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2008
Bay Area Oakland , Ca

Quote:

Leia wore that gold bikini once and it was hot but uhura had that short and I mean short skirt.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #25
Banned

Apr 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Out View Post
Leia wore that gold bikini once and it was hot but uhura had that short and I mean short skirt.

Did I mention she strangles Jabba with his own chain, escapes, fights goons on the deck and destroys Jabba's sailboati?

Talk about a kick ass chick.. I wouldn't wanna be on her bad side!
Leia does a LOT of stuff in the trilogy. As far as I know, all Uhura does is attend to menial tasks on the bridge and is Spock's love interest in the new film. That's pretty much it.

Yeoman on the other hand does some stuff and has saved Kirk quite a few times.

Last edited by fassbenderfan; 01-20-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #26
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Star Wars is far more "popcorn flick" than I'd like when picking a favourite of this nature. It's decent. But, Star Trek makes you really think about many interesting concepts across a plethora of subject matter that can really open the mind and even change how we look at the world around us.

Star Trek > Star Wars by 10,000 hyperspace miles!!!

P.S. Thread should be called "Star Trek or Star Wars" and not the other way round. I already knew what the OP selected before even opening the thread!

Last edited by Petra_Kalbrain; 01-20-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:15 PM   #27
Special Member

Jan 2012
NJ

Quote:

The new Uhura beats Leia. She did more than Uhura, but not as hot. Overall Star Wars has the better ships. The original Enterprise took a beating though. Scotty puts Chewy to shame. He wouldn't need R2D2 to fix the warp drive. That didn't help the tiebreaker for me.

btw, Could Spock connect to the Emperors brain and deactivate the force?

Last edited by jjdpw50; 01-20-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #28
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008
Alaska

I'd take Star Wars (the original trilogy) over Star Trek any day of the week.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #29
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2012
Missouri

Star Wars has always leaned toward younger people, in my opinion. And who cares about a long time ago in a galaxy far away. I would rather see what our future might hold.

I would dare throw this in the fray.
Star Trek, Star Wars or Doctor Who.

Last edited by i007spectre; 01-20-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #30
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra_Kalbrain View Post
Star Wars is far more "popcorn flick" than I'd like when picking a favourite of this nature. It's decent. But, Star Trek makes you really think about many interesting concepts across a plethora of subject matter that can really open the mind and even change how we look at the world around us.

Star Trek > Star Wars by 10,000 hyperspace miles!!!

P.S. Thread should be called "Star Trek or Star Wars" and not the other way round. I already knew what the OP selected before even opening the thread!
agree. Star Trek was innovative and dealt with many untouchable subjects on a regular basis using the fable like structure to make it more palatable, it had a multi ethnic crew, women were more than window dressing, environmental issues in some of them...... while (and I love SW) is just a simple story that could have worked the same way if it was in space or not.

What I find more funny is that the discussion is brought down to the level of coolest ship and hottest women.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:45 PM   #31
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2012
Oklahoma

The Holodeck is also better than that crappy chess game on the Falcon.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #32
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

I'm cheating as for me you have to add TNG, just as you have to consider the SW prequels and to be honest I only consider Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back to be an awesome movie, well deserving of all the praise it's been greeted with.

I don't mind the others, even the prequels, and usually marathon them, but for me it's like great Disney, everything is just perfect but lacks the emotional depth of many Star Trek characters Kirk, Picard, Spock, Data etc.(Come on, Kirk is a living legend and people who say he is cheesy are often the ones who watch Jar-Jar Just joking )

I've gotten much more satisfaction in all Star Trek (and for a much longet time) than Star Wars.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #33
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010
south

Star Trek the ship aesthetic, LOVE the enterprise.

Sonically, I prefer Star Trek's sound and music. Wrath of Khan is an amazing movie in this regard, The "static discharge" in the nebula is a really unique sound for me and I love James Horner's soundtrack, appreciate Jerry Goldsmith's themes from The Motion picture as well deep and haunting. I just feel more engaged. (that is not a Picard pun )
Old 01-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #34
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Hotness aside, Leia does a LOT of stuff in the trilogy. As far as I know, all Uhura does is attend to menial tasks on the bridge and is Spock's love interest in the new film. That's pretty much it.

Yeoman on the other hand does some stuff and has saved Kirk quite a few times.

she did a lot more, but don't forget ST came out in 1966 and the civile rights act against discrimination and segregation was passed in 64, having a black woman as an officer on deck , a lieutenant, a chief (even if it was communication) was an extremly BIG deal and pushing the envelope to the max. We are talking in a day and age where it was extremely rare to see a black person on TV and when they did appear they were usually the help, not someone in power (no matter how little there was).
Old 01-20-2013, 11:16 PM   #35
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010
south

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
she did a lot more, but don't forget ST came out in 1966 and the civile rights act against discrimination and segregation was passed in 64, having a black woman as an officer on deck , a lieutenant, a chief (even if it was communication) was an extremly BIG deal and pushing the envelope to the max. We are talking in a day and age where it was extremely rare to see a black person on TV and when they did appear they were usually the help, not someone in power (no matter how little there was).
Trek sure broke many social barriers, the inter-racial kiss between Kirk and Uhura is likely something I can never fully appreciate.

Star Wars defined blockbusters and re ignited trek (it took a couple of attempts ). Contributed in it's own major fashion.

I heart them both but It's trek for me, Roll on May 16th...
Old 01-20-2013, 11:48 PM   #36
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2008
Bay Area Oakland , Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by l-rouge View Post
trek sure broke many social barriers, the inter-racial kiss between kirk and uhura is likely something i can never fully appreciate.

Star wars defined blockbusters and re ignited trek (it took a couple of attempts ). Contributed in it's own major fashion.

I heart them both but it's trek for me, roll on may 16th...
+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0
Old 01-20-2013, 11:57 PM   #37
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Rouge View Post
Trek sure broke many social barriers, the inter-racial kiss between Kirk and Uhura is likely something I can never fully appreciate.

Star Wars defined blockbusters and re ignited trek (it took a couple of attempts ). Contributed in it's own major fashion.

I heart them both but It's trek for me
agree 100% I am a fan and own SW in every iteration and the same with ST. But to me the cultural impact of Uhura should not be underestimated. And I donít see how it made Leia a bad ass when she was a compliant sex slave until the guys battle gave her the opportunity to kill Jabba
Old 01-21-2013, 12:02 AM   #38
Special Member

Jan 2012
NJ

After some thought I went with Star Trek. I hated the Ewoks and ROTJ.

Looked at my Star Wars blu set, I only watched SW and ESB.

I think the reboot and upcoming sequel made a difference as well.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:05 AM   #39
Special Member

Jun 2008
Greendale, WI
Send a message via AIM to RIKANA

Can't wait to see both... I will miss the 20th Century Fox Theme going in to the new Star Wars Films though... The new ST film looks promising :3

RI
Old 01-21-2013, 01:10 AM   #40
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010
Sherwood Forest

I voted Star Trek - while I know you mentioned looking at the original series / reboot for Star Trek its hard not to take the entire cannon into account. STNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise made for some incredible stories and films. Even excluding those I would still go with Trek - but still love Star Wars.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Tags
star trek, star wars