Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$100.92

Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Paranormal Activity: The Ultimate Chills Collection (Blu-ray)
$46.99

Leda 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

I, the Jury 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$34.99
23 hrs ago
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.99
1 day ago
Geostorm 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Mark Chesnutt: Your Room (Blu-ray)
$24.49
1 day ago
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D (Blu-ray)
$5.99

Priest 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Players, Hardware and Technology > 3D Players

Old 12-06-2022, 06:22 PM   #21
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2021
Aveiro, Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippito View Post
Just decided to watch my copy of San Andreas 3D. Don't think I've watched it since I got it in 2015.. Anyway, the 3D was entirely jittery. I mean every single aspect of the 3D, including the options in the menu. Everything that was supposed to be before the window was jumping up and down.

I put in Dredd 3D and it played fine. Anybody else ever just have a completely defective disc like that? Now that I think about it, I may never have tried the 3D back when I got it. Theres a reasonable chance I watched it in 2D to accommodate someone else or something. So I can't confirm if the disc was always like that or if it happened over time
Plug your player off the wall socket and wait a bit (10 to 30 seconds) and then plug it on again and try San Andreas 3D and check if it still keeps showing as it was before.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:01 AM   #22

Oct 2020
San Antonio, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlardonio View Post
Plug your player off the wall socket and wait a bit (10 to 30 seconds) and then plug it on again and try San Andreas 3D and check if it still keeps showing as it was before.
Yup, that did it. San Andreas plays fine now. Weird!
Old 12-08-2022, 01:02 AM   #23
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2021
Aveiro, Portugal

Quote:
Yup, that did it. San Andreas plays fine now. Weird!
Not weird at all, it's recomended by manufacturers. It's due to software glitches.
Old 12-08-2022, 02:32 AM   #24
Banned

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Just decided to watch my copy of San Andreas 3D. Don't think I've watched it since I got it in 2015.. Anyway, the 3D was entirely jittery. I mean every single aspect of the 3D, including the options in the menu. Everything that was supposed to be before the window was jumping up and down.

I put in Dredd 3D and it played fine. Anybody else ever just have a completely defective disc like that? Now that I think about it, I may never have tried the 3D back when I got it. Theres a reasonable chance I watched it in 2D to accommodate someone else or something. So I can't confirm if the disc was always like that or if it happened over time
Try a couple more of your 3D movies to see if they're jumping and if not, then you have a defected 3D disc. Since it's been almost 8 years, there is nothing that you can do, except rebuy it.
Old 12-08-2022, 03:29 AM   #25
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

It doesn't always work, but I have written to some studios/labels about a disc no longer playing years after having bought it and they will sometimes replace it for free. It never hurts to ask, but from my experience Disney and Lionsgate have always said "no."
Old 12-08-2022, 10:38 PM   #26
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2021
Aveiro, Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
Try a couple more of your 3D movies to see if they're jumping and if not, then you have a defected 3D disc. Since it's been almost 8 years, there is nothing that you can do, except rebuy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
It doesn't always work, but I have written to some studios/labels about a disc no longer playing years after having bought it and they will sometimes replace it for free. It never hurts to ask, but from my experience Disney and Lionsgate have always said "no."
His problem is already solved... it only took him to unplug the player from the the socket and after a while plug it again and retry and it was running normally again.

The simplest solution is always the best.
Old 12-16-2022, 04:50 PM   #27

Oct 2020
San Antonio, TX

New problem!

Some 3D discs say on the back of the package that they include a 2D version on the same disc, playable on a standard BD player. Dredd and Harold & Kumar are two examples of this.
However, when I put the Harold & Kumar Christmas disc in my standard BD player, it says that the disc requires a 3D player connected to a 3D display. Is there some alternate way to launch the disc so that it is able to play back in 2D or is this some sort of manufacturing error?

I guess worst case scenario is I just move the 3D blu ray player downstairs and use it for this one movie.
Old 12-16-2022, 06:55 PM   #28
Banned

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
New problem!

Some 3D discs say on the back of the package that they include a 2D version on the same disc, playable on a standard BD player. Dredd and Harold & Kumar are two examples of this.
However, when I put the Harold & Kumar Christmas disc in my standard BD player, it says that the disc requires a 3D player connected to a 3D display. Is there some alternate way to launch the disc so that it is able to play back in 2D or is this some sort of manufacturing error?

I guess worst case scenario is I just move the 3D blu ray player downstairs and use it for this one movie.
Can you access the main menu on the disc and if not, take the disc out, wait a few seconds and reload it again and see what it says.
Old 12-17-2022, 02:22 AM   #29

Oct 2020
San Antonio, TX

Quote:
Can you access the main menu on the disc and if not, take the disc out, wait a few seconds and reload it again and see what it says.
Nope, it doesn't even get as far as the menu. But it's weird because I've watched it on my 3D TV so many times and know for a fact that it asks if you want to play the movie in 3D or 2D.
Old 12-17-2022, 02:57 AM   #30
Banned

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Nope, it doesn't even get as far as the menu. But it's weird because I've watched it on my 3D TV so many times and know for a fact that it asks if you want to play the movie in 3D or 2D.
If the firmware on your player has been updated, then the Blu-ray disc may have gone bad. Some discs will stop playing spontaneously like that. Another possibility is that the lens is dirty and need to be cleaned.

Last edited by slimdude; 12-17-2022 at 03:09 AM.
Old 12-18-2022, 02:35 AM   #31

Oct 2020
San Antonio, TX

Quote:
If the firmware on your player has been updated, then the Blu-ray disc may have gone bad. Some discs will stop playing spontaneously like that. Another possibility is that the lens is dirty and need to be cleaned.
What's interesting is that the message just says the player does not support 3D. It says nothing about the display, even though it's a 4K TV that doesn't support 3D.

What I'm wondering is if I could get away with playing it on a 4K UHD player, because they do support it. I don't have one yet, but I'm very tempted to buy one soon, especially considering I now have about 10 4K titles.
Old 12-18-2022, 02:59 AM   #32
Banned

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
What's interesting is that the message just says the player does not support 3D. It says nothing about the display, even though it's a 4K TV that doesn't support 3D.

What I'm wondering is if I could get away with playing it on a 4K UHD player, because they do support it. I don't have one yet, but I'm very tempted to buy one soon, especially considering I now have about 10 4K titles.
Well, this is the problem! If you're trying to play a 3D blu-ray disc on a blu-ray player that's not 3D compatible and the TV that's not 3D either, the disc is not going to play. Enable to play 3D content, you will need a blu-ray player that's supports 3D, and a 3D TV.

Last edited by slimdude; 12-18-2022 at 03:05 AM.
Old 12-18-2022, 03:52 PM   #33

Oct 2020
San Antonio, TX

Quote:
Well, this is the problem! If you're trying to play a 3D blu-ray disc on a blu-ray player that's not 3D compatible and the TV that's not 3D either, the disc is not going to play. Enable to play 3D content, you will need a blu-ray player that's supports 3D, and a 3D TV.
Correct, but the whole dilemma to begin with, was that the back of the package said that the disc also includes a 2D version of the film, playable on a standard BD player.
Old 12-18-2022, 09:01 PM   #34
Banned

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Correct, but the whole dilemma to begin with, was that the back of the package said that the disc also includes a 2D version of the film, playable on a standard BD player.
What that mean is that, the 2D version is on a separate disc, and can be played on a standard blu-ray player... Harold & Kumar Christmas 3D is a 3 disc set. It supposed to have:1-3D disc, 1-2D disc and the DVD. It seems like you're trying to play the wrong disc. The 3D & 2D versions are not on the same disc. If you only have the 3D disc, then you have 2 more discs that are missing from the set.

Last edited by slimdude; 12-18-2022 at 11:58 PM.
Old 12-19-2022, 06:13 PM   #35

Oct 2020
San Antonio, TX

Quote:
What that mean is that, the 2D version is on a separate disc, and can be played on a standard blu-ray player... Harold & Kumar Christmas 3D is a 3 disc set. It supposed to have:1-3D disc, 1-2D disc and the DVD. It seems like you're trying to play the wrong disc. The 3D & 2D versions are not on the same disc. If you only have the 3D disc, then you have 2 more discs that are missing from the set.
Well that's lame. I did buy it secondhand at a Half Price Books so I guess whoever sold it to them repackaged it in a single-disc case. I just assumed they were both on the same disc like with the Dredd disc. I guess I'll try to find a 2D disc of it on BD to have on standby for years when I'm not spending Christmas near my 3D setup
Old 12-19-2022, 07:27 PM   #36
Banned

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Well that's lame. I did buy it secondhand at a Half Price Books so I guess whoever sold it to them repackaged it in a single-disc case. I just assumed they were both on the same disc like with the Dredd disc. I guess I'll try to find a 2D disc of it on BD to have on standby for years when I'm not spending Christmas near my 3D setup
Ok, that's what's going on. You're missing the 2D Blu-ray and the DVD. Ebay probably has some used copies of the 2D Blu-ray real cheap.
Old 12-21-2022, 02:09 AM   #37

Oct 2020
San Antonio, TX

Quote:
Ok, that's what's going on. You're missing the 2D Blu-ray and the DVD. Ebay probably has some used copies of the 2D Blu-ray real cheap.
I actually just found one for $6 at a local shop called CD Exchange!
Old 12-21-2022, 03:27 AM   #38
Banned

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
I actually just found one for $6 at a local shop called CD Exchange!
Alright, you've got it. I'm glad for ya. Enjoy
Old 12-24-2022, 01:06 PM   #39
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2021
Aveiro, Portugal

Quote:

On your player go to 3D options and choose 3D > 2D option(to only read a 3D disc as a 2D only) and try if it works.

EDIT: I didn't notice you were trying to play a 3D disc instead of a 3D/2D compatible disc. Never mind.

Last edited by Jlardonio; 12-24-2022 at 01:10 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Players, Hardware and Technology > 3D Players