Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.45
16 hrs ago
The Godfather Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.99
1 day ago
Shazam! Fury of the Gods 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
1 day ago
The Skulls Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$5.99
11 hrs ago
Pasolini 101 (Blu-ray)
$199.99
23 hrs ago
The Italian Job 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.14
14 hrs ago
Plane 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
1 day ago
Superior 8 Ultra Brothers (Blu-ray)
$4.99
9 hrs ago
Superman I-IV 5-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$97.99
 
Star Trek: The Next Generation Motion Picture Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.99
 
Cliffhanger 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
The Whale (Blu-ray)
$15.99
4 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2020, 05:10 PM   #41
starr starr is offline
Active Member
 
Oct 2011
8
95
1
23
Default

Got my 85X950H a week ago an I must say I'm very happy i spent the extra. Right out of the box the colors are amazing. The sheer size of it is what makes it great, it really feels like a theatre.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Ace Rimmer (11-09-2020), Harry Fabian (11-10-2020), kobe84114 (12-03-2020), MechaGodzilla (11-08-2020), Robert Zohn (11-09-2020), Scarriere (11-11-2020)
Old 11-08-2020, 08:03 PM   #42
Auditor55 Auditor55 is offline
Power Member
 
Sep 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer View Post
Iíve had my 65Ē for a week now and am happy with my choice. Came from an 8-year-old 42Ē Samsung 1080p plasma and this is my first LCD. Blacks are comparable to the old plasma, brightness is crazy good though and the detail and colors are amazing. 4k UHDs look great and I do not regret buying them over the last year in preparation. I sit 9í away my only regret is not getting the 75Ē which would just barely fit in my setup but is too overpriced in Canada
Seriously, have you ever seen a Pioneer Kuro? No way are blacks on the 950H comparable to Plasma. Only the Sony Z9D from 2016 with 600 dimming zones and had blacks comparable to old plasma. In my opinion, this display is too bright and that makes the colors washed out a bit. The anti-reflective screen is a no-go and is poorly implemented as it causes a kind of rainbow effect when any light hits it. The so-called wide viewing angle screen doesn't work because the picture degrades quickly when you watch look off-angle. The motion on the x950H is pretty good, however the upscaling isn't as great as people claim. There is blooming on the text and some light bleed on black bars.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:36 PM   #43
Ace Rimmer Ace Rimmer is offline
Member
 
Ace Rimmer's Avatar
 
Nov 2019
270
457
11
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post
Seriously, have you ever seen a Pioneer Kuro? No way are blacks on the 950H comparable to Plasma. Only the Sony Z9D from 2016 with 600 dimming zones and had blacks comparable to old plasma. In my opinion, this display is too bright and that makes the colors washed out a bit. The anti-reflective screen is a no-go and is poorly implemented as it causes a kind of rainbow effect when any light hits it. The so-called wide viewing angle screen doesn't work because the picture degrades quickly when you watch look off-angle. The motion on the x950H is pretty good, however the upscaling isn't as great as people claim. There is blooming on the text and some light bleed on black bars.
No I havenít ever seen a Kuro before. My comment about the blacks being similar was a comparison to my Samsung plasma and that is obviously in the black areas without the blooming. The blooming on the 950h does kinda suck but it is rarely noticeable when not on pre or post movie credits. You can set the brightness to whatever you want on this tv it doesnít have to be maxed out like I always had my plasma at. If youíre sitting more than 45 degrees off axis then get a projector or an OLED, the 950h picture does not degrade quickly off angle. I wanted an OLED but prices are ridiculous in Canada and the wife watches static image programming, I wouldíve bought a 4k plasma if it was available. Instead I chose what I considered after many months of research the best 4k LCD. Chill
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (11-11-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 02:02 PM   #44
Auditor55 Auditor55 is offline
Power Member
 
Sep 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer View Post
No I havenít ever seen a Kuro before. My comment about the blacks being similar was a comparison to my Samsung plasma and that is obviously in the black areas without the blooming. The blooming on the 950h does kinda suck but it is rarely noticeable when not on pre or post movie credits. You can set the brightness to whatever you want on this tv it doesnít have to be maxed out like I always had my plasma at. If youíre sitting more than 45 degrees off axis then get a projector or an OLED, the 950h picture does not degrade quickly off angle. I wanted an OLED but prices are ridiculous in Canada and the wife watches static image programming, I wouldíve bought a 4k plasma if it was available. Instead I chose what I considered after many months of research the best 4k LCD. Chill
This TV also has some vignetting and clouding. It's hard to get deep black. I'm not expecting OLED, Plasma, or Z9D blacks, but heck this is like an edge lit LED. BTW, I do have an OLED, X950H is my secondary TV.

The motion handling, as expected, is really good. The TV does have great clarity sharp imagery, almost too sharp.

Maybe it's the panel lottery in your case and you struck a good panel without some of the faults I'm citing. I'm going to tinker with settings before I give up and return it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 10:31 PM   #45
TAC TAC is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
TAC's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
Bama
284
1340
180
139
2469
765
106
186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by starr View Post
Got my 85X950H a week ago an I must say I'm very happy i spent the extra. Right out of the box the colors are amazing. The sheer size of it is what makes it great, it really feels like a theatre.
I have the same TV in the man cave. I haven't used it very much. Just on the weekends. I do love the TV though. A bit disappointed by some of the things I've read about the latest firmware but I haven't even had time to totally investigate it yet. Hoping to score a PS5 Thursday to pair with it!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (11-11-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 11:51 PM   #46
starr starr is offline
Active Member
 
Oct 2011
8
95
1
23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAC View Post
I have the same TV in the man cave. I haven't used it very much. Just on the weekends. I do love the TV though. A bit disappointed by some of the things I've read about the latest firmware but I haven't even had time to totally investigate it yet. Hoping to score a PS5 Thursday to pair with it!


what's up with the latest firmware? now i must investigate
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:25 PM   #47
bluskies bluskies is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
bluskies's Avatar
 
Oct 2007
287
1848
235
73
Default

Hi, everyone, a head's up about the 2.1 software update. I have the X900H and I did the 2.1 software update about two weeks ago, and after that the TV started having the problem where for no reason the TV would shut down and then restart. I even did a complete factory reset and it still happens. So, I spoke to a Sony rep a few minutes ago and she said that this is a known issue, that there is a bug in the update that is causing this to happen, but they are working on an update that should be out in a few weeks to fix it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:30 PM   #48
Edo Edo is offline
Expert Member
 
Edo's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
Chi-town
13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskies View Post
Hi, everyone, a head's up about the 2.1 software update. I have the X900H and I did the 2.1 software update about two weeks ago, and after that the TV started having the problem where for no reason the TV would shut down and then restart. I even did a complete factory reset and it still happens. So, I spoke to a Sony rep a few minutes ago and she said that this is a known issue, that there is a bug in the update that is causing this to happen, but they are working on an update that should be out in a few weeks to fix it.
Thanks for heads up man 👍
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:29 AM   #49
Synchg Synchg is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Jan 2011
6
Default

I think the XBR75X950H I bought but should be getting this week, might be too big. Why did i do dis
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:40 AM   #50
Max Solo Max Solo is online now
Special Member
 
Max Solo's Avatar
 
Dec 2015
San Diego, CA
96
970
46
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchg View Post
I think the XBR75X950H I bought but should be getting this week, might be too big. Why did i do dis
I got the 65 inch about a month ago and thought the same thing for a day or two.

But now Iím very used to it and itís perfect.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:43 AM   #51
Synchg Synchg is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Jan 2011
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Solo View Post
I got the 65 inch about a month ago and thought the same thing for a day or two.

But now Iím very used to it and itís perfect.
how's the wobble? did you put it up yourself? where do you have it
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:46 AM   #52
Max Solo Max Solo is online now
Special Member
 
Max Solo's Avatar
 
Dec 2015
San Diego, CA
96
970
46
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchg View Post
how's the wobble? did you put it up yourself? where do you have it
I have a tv stand from Costco that has a bar built in in the back that I attached the tv to. So I did it myself. Had a friend help me lift it and hang it though. A little tooheavy and big for one
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:13 AM   #53
Clueless Joe Clueless Joe is offline
Member
 
Clueless Joe's Avatar
 
Mar 2011
Washington State
68
296
Default HDR problem with x950h

Hello, My x950h is detecting & displaying Dolby vision perfectly. My problem is that in HDR auto mode tv is not detecting HDR10 or HLG & not switching to HDR mode.Have tried HDMI 3 ARC & HDMI 1. No difference. Please advise
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 03:38 AM   #54
jjhunsecker jjhunsecker is offline
Active Member
 
Jan 2012
Default

I've had a 65" 950H since June and absolutely- beautiful picture , especially on my growing collection of 4K blu-rays

but last night, I encountered an issue- a tiny light on the bottom front has turned on, and I can not turn it off, no matter what I try. It's supposed to be something involving the Google assistant mic on the remote (which I never use). I had this same problem about a month ago, and finally got it to turn off, but now nothing seems to work.

I went on a user group on the Sony site, and a few people have had this same issue, including one who had it happen about the same time as me. Some have speculated that it's some sort of firmware bug
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:11 AM   #55
Max Solo Max Solo is online now
Special Member
 
Max Solo's Avatar
 
Dec 2015
San Diego, CA
96
970
46
3
Default

Funny you say this because mine came on just recently also. 65 inch 950H here

Mine came on a while back and thought I got it to turn off by hitting the Google button on the remote. But that hasnít helped this time.

Iím trying to ignore it
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:19 AM   #56
Max Solo Max Solo is online now
Special Member
 
Max Solo's Avatar
 
Dec 2015
San Diego, CA
96
970
46
3
Default

Ok. Got it to go off for now. Not sure what this did but this is what I did ..

Hit red Google play button
Then hit the Google ( color bubble button ) on remote
Then by accident I hit the input button. I scrolled to hdmi 1
Then hit the back button.

Weird but it turned off.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:03 PM   #57
jjhunsecker jjhunsecker is offline
Active Member
 
Jan 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Solo View Post
Ok. Got it to go off for now. Not sure what this did but this is what I did ..

Hit red Google play button
Then hit the Google ( color bubble button ) on remote
Then by accident I hit the input button. I scrolled to hdmi 1
Then hit the back button.

Weird but it turned off.
Actually, I got almost the exact same solution from someone on AVS-
I hit the Google mic button on the remote
Hit Back on the Navigation button
the light went out
Then hit Input to take the Google info off the screen

This seems to be some sort of issue with this set, as several fols on AVS and a Sony Forum I found on their website have had the same exact issue with that front light...Weird. Some speculate it some kind of software glitch, maybe based on a new Sony update
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Max Solo (12-04-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 01:53 AM   #58
profholt82 profholt82 is offline
Special Member
 
profholt82's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
Michigan
145
949
15
Default

Are you guys talking about the little white light that comes on under the Sony logo on the bottom middle of the television? If so, go to your settings -> device preferences -> led indicator -> off. That should take care of it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:51 AM   #59
Aragorn the Elfstone Aragorn the Elfstone is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Aragorn the Elfstone's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
The Secondary World
134
707
184
21
Default

Hello guys,

I'm going to be getting a new TV soon, and considering getting the X950H. I'm upgrading from a Samsung JS8500, which I've had for about 4 years, but I'm starting to get purple discoloration on the sides.

In honesty, though, it's the perfect excuse I need to upgrade. I've long wanted to get a model that really delivers better HDR (to take full advantage of my UHD discs), and fully array local dimming. The edge lit lighting of the JS8500 has never been satisfactory for me.

However, I am conflicted. I also have my eye on the Sony A8H OLED. However, the potential for burn-in concerns me, and I have read that the X950H is brighter, though the black levels on the OLED would be better (I've used backlighting on the JS8500 to compensate for black uniformity issues).

So I'm looking for some advice on what to do. Which of these models would be better for me? Should I be looking at any others (in this price range)? Thank you in advance for any help.

I'm very excited to upgrade my 4K HDR experience!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 02:47 PM   #60
profholt82 profholt82 is offline
Special Member
 
profholt82's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
Michigan
145
949
15
Default

@Algorn

I really like my x950h, but there are better tvs out there. And OLED makes better picture than LED. The 950 is perfect for my purposes because I needed a new tv for my mancave, and because of space issues on the wall, I needed to keep the size to around 50". There are only 3 tvs on the market right now that come in that size and have 120hz panels. That's important to me for gaming purposes, occasional PC monitor use, and the fact that movies are in 24fps, so they perfectly fit into 120 without any dropped frames unlike 60hz panels which require all sorts of "motion" tinkering settings to eliminate juddering and such. The other 2 tvs that fit this criteria are the LG Nano85 and the LG CX OLED. The Nano85 had mediocre picture quality, but the CX was a thing of beauty. Unfortunately, it was also $1500 (really more than I wanted to spend at this time) and out of stock around me, so I would've had to order it online, and that's a big gamble with tvs.

[Side rant] It seems like most of the negative reviews on amazon and the like are complaints about tvs being damaged in shipping. I wouldn't trust the mail with one. I realize you can return it and get it replaced, but what a hassle that would be with a big tv. Sheesh.

All of that said, the LG BX OLED, Sony A8H are top notch OLED sets worth looking into which also have 120hz panels and excellent picture. They were off the table for my parameters though. Personally, I think the LG CX OLED is the best of the bunch, but you should explore all options to find the one that's perfect for you. I'm sure the x950h would make you happy, but it would be remiss of me to say that it's the best because having put in the research and been hands on with all of these sets, I don't think it's the best overall, but it certainly is the best for the money. If you're willing to spend a bit more though, I think the OLED sets will blow you away.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:15 AM.