Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Godzilla vs. Kong / Godzilla: King of the Monsters / Kong: Skull Island (Blu-ray)
$39.99
8 hrs ago
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

Working Girls (Blu-ray)
$29.49
8 hrs ago
Voyagers 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.99
7 hrs ago
The Web (Blu-ray)
$16.59
8 hrs ago
Do the Right Thing 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99
14 hrs ago
10 Cloverfield Lane 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Thunderbolt (Blu-ray)
$16.59
9 hrs ago
Nobody 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.99

Clay Pigeons (Blu-ray)
$16.59
7 hrs ago
Indiana Jones 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$42.99
5 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 08-29-2015, 01:26 AM   #1

Aug 2011
U.K.
Default Anybody use Ken Kreisel/M&K speakers?

Hi,

I couldn't seem to find an official thread for Ken Kreisel/M&K satellite speakers. From what I have read the biggest studios, producers, directors such as Lucasfilm Ltd, 20th Century Fox, Universal and Warner Bros to name a few use them.

Movies like Star Wars, Lord of The Rings and King Kong were mixed using Ken Kreisel speakers.

Would it be true to say that since MK/KK speakers are used by many studios and directors/producers for mixing movies like Star Wars and King Kong that using these speakers will be closest to the director/producer's intention as to how the audio should sound compare to using floorstanding/bookshelf speakers from companies like B&W, JBL, Kplisch, Dynaudio?

The only downside I can see is that satellite speakers may have problems covering very large rooms compared to floorstanding speakers.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts and anybody that own KK or M&K speakers.

Last edited by cheecheung; 08-29-2015 at 01:32 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:58 AM   #2
Power Member

Oct 2008

Funny you post this.. two different M & K subwoofers just showed up on my local craigslist and I got curious about them as well!
Old 02-04-2019, 07:12 PM   #3

Oct 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheecheung View Post
Hi,

I couldn't seem to find an official thread for Ken Kreisel/M&K satellite speakers. From what I have read the biggest studios, producers, directors such as Lucasfilm Ltd, 20th Century Fox, Universal and Warner Bros to name a few use them.

Movies like Star Wars, Lord of The Rings and King Kong were mixed using Ken Kreisel speakers.

Would it be true to say that since MK/KK speakers are used by many studios and directors/producers for mixing movies like Star Wars and King Kong that using these speakers will be closest to the director/producer's intention as to how the audio should sound compare to using floorstanding/bookshelf speakers from companies like B&W, JBL, Kplisch, Dynaudio?

The only downside I can see is that satellite speakers may have problems covering very large rooms compared to floorstanding speakers.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts and anybody that own KK or M&K speakers.
If you were to listen to the Star Wars prequel trilogy on an M&K 150 system(original M&K when Ken Kreisel owned the company) then you will hear them exactly as they were heard when the sound was mixed. Lucasfilm used these speakers to mix the trilogy.
Thanks given by:
prerich (04-11-2019)
Old 02-23-2020, 02:04 AM   #4

Oct 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark

I have 7 M&K speakers in my hometheater room. 6 LCR950 speakers and a center. They are glorious.
Old 02-28-2020, 02:10 AM   #5

Oct 2018

I have M&K 750THX LCR, 550THX Surrounds and a V-125 subwoofer. These are all the USA made speakers from when Ken Kreisel owned M&K. I love them.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:47 PM   #6

Jun 2014

I am planning to chance all my speakers to M&K.
3 pc M70 in front, M40T in side surround, 1 pair M50 in rear and two pairs M50 on Atmos.
But first must get rid of my old speakers and get some money out of them.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:27 PM   #7

Feb 2018

In my 7.2.4 system I use five LCR750 MKII THX speakers as my center and surrounds. Main L&R are a pair of Martin Logans. Height/Atmos are handled by four M&K Surround-55 MKII speakers. I have two M&K subs: a conventional 12” VX1250 and a dual 12” push-pull MX-145.

Spectacular.

I opt to use more “musical” speakers for my main L&R simply because I listen to so much music. The M&Ks sound fine with music, but the Martin Logans are something else entirely... conversely I wouldn’t want a surround system with all Martin Logans.

Incidentally I’ve also owned 6 M&K Bookshelf-75s and an M&K V-125 sub (excellent also, now belong to a buddy), and an M&K MX-105 dual p-p sub (a little underpowered for its duty, could run out of steam easily).
Old 03-03-2020, 06:34 PM   #8
Expert Member

Oct 2010

I've had my M&K setup since 2004 and they are still going strong.

I have three M&K S150's up front with four M&K SS200's along the sides and back, and an M&K MX350 sub. I went with the SS200's over the SS150's as surrounds since they actually better match the speakers used within the S150's.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers