Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
1 day ago
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
The Final Countdown 4K (Blu-ray)
$47.99
20 hrs ago
G.I. Joe: Retaliation 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

Tenet 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Ultraman Zero Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Wire: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$87.25
5 hrs ago
Fleabag: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Blade 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 03-31-2020, 04:16 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2014
Shield Headquarters
Default Recommend a damage free, no screw, way to put speakers up?

Were planning to move soon and we just redid the basement walls, repainted etc but for the time being I want to put my surround sound back up with TV so there's no damage to the walls etc. Anyone have any recommendations on how to do this damage free? 3MM strips or command hooks, speaker mounts, etc? Thanks!
Old 03-31-2020, 03:11 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2013
UK

Stands. If it's only temporary, be creative with boxes and stuff to put them on. I wouldn't trust "damage free hanging" whatsoever with expensive gear.

My experience of "damage free hanging" amounts to them failing and what they were holding up being damaged or taking them off and they actually take the paint off which they aren't supposed to do. They're a fudge, basically.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:24 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2014
Shield Headquarters

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
Stands. If it's only temporary, be creative with boxes and stuff to put them on. I wouldn't trust "damage free hanging" whatsoever with expensive gear.

My experience of "damage free hanging" amounts to them failing and what they were holding up being damaged or taking them off and they actually take the paint off which they aren't supposed to do. They're a fudge, basically.
Yeah don't really want wires showing when were showing the house so i need to get creative. I have a 5.1.2 set up. 5 surround speakers, a subwoofer, and two atmos. The problem I will have is with the 2 back speakers and the atmos which need to go on the ceiling. I usually would put the one surround speaker lower and the atmos above it and i could cover the cords so if guest needed to see the house they could without seeing wires. Temporarily rather than putting them on the wall, I'm gonna stand the two front speakers on the tv stand left and right of the center speaker rather than raising them for now. I know they have speaker stands just didn't want all the wiring to show.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:51 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2013
UK

Maybe you should just wire up a 3.1 for now?
Old 03-31-2020, 08:55 PM   #5
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Speaker stands is the only way to go without putting holes in the wall. There is no other way to wall mount speakers without using screws and wall anchors, to prevent them from falling because, you want them to be secured as much as possible. If you wall mount them, make sure they're mounted on the stud not the drywall.

Last edited by slimdude; 03-31-2020 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:09 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2014
Shield Headquarters

Ahh okay, I figured that 3mm strips might do the trick they have some that can hold heavy equipment. Otherwise, yeah I may have to do speaker stands. Anyone got any good very very cheap recommendations? I am going to need four that can be adjusted.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:59 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2013
UK

Very very cheap speaker stands are probably as reliable as the 3mm strips - not at all.

If they look like this, run a mile. Any with thin single supports that purport to be universally compatible are very wobbly and frequently fail.

These and similar looking are probably a good stop gap, little bit more but not bank breaking. I still question just how stable the base looks on that one.

These look a bit more sturdy despite being single stem support, it is thick enough a stem to offer good support and the base appears to offer good balance to prevent toppling over.

Those are just examples of the type available for what you want (and don't want) at the lower price range, not specific suggestions.

Last edited by oddbox83; 04-01-2020 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:16 PM   #8

Sep 2014
Toronto

I was in a similar situation years ago. The cheapest, most sturdy solution is to build your own.

There is no one less handy than me so if I could do it, anyone can. I measured the height I desired, and had the guy at HOME DEPOT cut the lumber so all I needed to do was hammer in a few nails to fit them together. A quick coat of black paint can make a bang up job look better than you'd think.

I later repurposed these DIY speaker shelves into the base of the riser that is in use in my present theater.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:40 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2014
Shield Headquarters

I decided to buy stands on AVS from a UK company. They were rated very well and should arrive this weekend. Yeah they were a cheaper price but they look just fine. Heaviest speakers I have are 3lbs.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers