Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
2 hrs ago
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
8 hrs ago
G.I. Joe: Retaliation 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
8 hrs ago
Fleabag: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99
1 day ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

Drive (Blu-ray)
$31.99
2 hrs ago
Tenet 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The BRD Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$44.99
8 hrs ago
300 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Blade 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Do the Right Thing 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 06-08-2020, 01:13 PM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Rhode Island
Default The importance of a center speaker

Let me tell you, I just upgraded my center speaker and it is by far the biggest improvement in my system ever, of any component. Granted, I had a little pea-shooter for a center but I didn't know there would be this much of a difference. I used to turn the volume up to hear soft dialog and then get blasted out of my chair by explosions. Really pleased with this purchase.
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (06-09-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 06:34 PM   #2

May 2011
Pandora

center speaker is the best investement!
Old 06-08-2020, 07:57 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008

Yes I have a Paradigm CC 390 every little sigh you can hear.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:30 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2009

I have been wanting to add a center channel to my stereo setup for a while now, and your post is pushing me towards doing so. The only problem I have is that the speaker will be too tall and block the front of my display if I place it on my entertainment center. Anyone have any advice? I was thinking I could use some sort of riser, but it is a 55" OLED and is pretty heavy so it would have to be sturdy. I do not want to wall mount anything.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:41 PM   #5
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevers7290 View Post
I have been wanting to add a center channel to my stereo setup for a while now, and your post is pushing me towards doing so. The only problem I have is that the speaker will be too tall and block the front of my display if I place it on my entertainment center. Anyone have any advice? I was thinking I could use some sort of riser, but it is a 55" OLED and is pretty heavy so it would have to be sturdy. I do not want to wall mount anything.
Is there anyway that you can rearrange the components, or whatever you have in your entertainment center to make room for a center channel speaker?
Old 06-08-2020, 09:02 PM   #6
Power Member

Oct 2008

The best center channel upgrade I did was getting rid of my horizontal center channel.

In my old setup I had two towers and a center for the front soundstage. I have since upgraded all three to the same bookshelf speaker (Energy CB-20) and the sound has improved dramatically from the center. Not just because of the upgrade but I feel like the tweeter and woofers are now all in the same alignment and everything just sounds more clear, especially dialogue.
Old 06-09-2020, 01:57 AM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
Is there anyway that you can rearrange the components, or whatever you have in your entertainment center to make room for a center channel speaker?
Unfortunately no. I could theoretically place the center channel on the component shelf below the TV, but because of the way the unit is constructed (vertical support in the center) the speaker would have to be set to the left or right side as opposed to directly in the center.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:56 AM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Rhode Island

Quote:
They have TV stands on Amazon for about $30 that raise your TV off of your entertainment center. That's what I did. Be careful, though, because it only raises it so much and 55" is a big TV. I ended up putting my center on the second shelf anyway but the stand raised the TV enough to allow me to put my Xbox and BD player under the TV so it's all good. I like the center on its own shelf anyway. Pretty hard to estimate how much room you need under the TV, too. They also have height adjustable stands, also, which may be a consideration.

Last edited by BluLobsta; 06-09-2020 at 11:00 AM.
Thanks given by:
kevers7290 (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 10:59 AM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefytwinkie View Post
The best center channel upgrade I did was getting rid of my horizontal center channel.

In my old setup I had two towers and a center for the front soundstage. I have since upgraded all three to the same bookshelf speaker (Energy CB-20) and the sound has improved dramatically from the center. Not just because of the upgrade but I feel like the tweeter and woofers are now all in the same alignment and everything just sounds more clear, especially dialogue.
Yup, I saw the article on vertical centers in the sticky section. Very interesting read. Makes a lot of sense. So many ideas on how to arrange a system.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:07 AM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2008
Ex-Pat of The Diamond Capital of North America™

Quote:
If you have a stand that has the tv mount, those are usually adjustable. There should two sets of four bolts that can be lower or higher.
I had to to that with the stand in my bedroom to accommodate my center speaker.
I'm sure yours has that as well.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:52 AM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarriere View Post
If you have a stand that has the tv mount, those are usually adjustable. There should two sets of four bolts that can be lower or higher.
I had to to that with the stand in my bedroom to accommodate my center speaker.
I'm sure yours has that as well.
Thanks for the tip but that's not an option. I am using the original metal base that came with my OLED and it sits atop a wood entertainment console. The panel is not mounted to anything. I am currently shopping for a good riser that can hold 50+ lbs as that seems like my most affordable option. Thanks!
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (06-10-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 12:54 PM   #12
Power Member

May 2020
Florida

Quote:
I added a center channel few months ago and have been absolutely thrilled with it with the exception of the fact that it blocks a few inches of the bottom of my display (this is especially a problem for me as I watch a lot of anime with subtitles and it can partially block them). In my case, I will simply be getting my display wall mounted soon.

I looked at some of the stands (the kind with a vertical bracket which supports the television from a base) on Amazon and actually had more concerns regarding their stability than I did simply wall mounting into studs. I hope you find a solution that works well for you.
Old 06-09-2020, 12:59 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Rhode Island

Quote:
Thanks for the tip but that's not an option. I am using the original metal base that came with my OLED and it sits atop a wood entertainment console. The panel is not mounted to anything. I am currently shopping for a good riser that can hold 50+ lbs as that seems like my most affordable option. Thanks!
Yup, I was going to do the same thing. I wanted to lift the TV on something that would support the legs (in my case) on the TV itself. I looked at some type of riser as an option. Then I saw the TV stand and noticed the four holes on the back of the TV. All TVs should have these holes for mounting purposes. I just removed the legs on the TV (in your case it would be the metal base) and mounted to the TV stand using the four holes on the back of the TV.
Old 06-09-2020, 01:01 PM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreaFive View Post
I added a center channel few months ago and have been absolutely thrilled with it with the exception of the fact that it blocks a few inches of the bottom of my display (this is especially a problem for me as I watch a lot of anime with subtitles and it can partially block them). In my case, I will simply be getting my display wall mounted soon.

I looked at some of the stands (the kind with a vertical bracket which supports the television from a base) on Amazon and actually had more concerns regarding their stability than I did simply wall mounting into studs. I hope you find a solution that works well for you.
They are sturdy as far as I can tell. I just mounted my 55" to one.
Old 06-09-2020, 01:07 PM   #15
Power Member

May 2020
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluLobsta View Post
They are sturdy as far as I can tell. I just mounted my 55" to one.
I'm glad. I had actually already assembled the one I bought but was then so put off by reviews of it falling over, having the base shatter, etc that I returned it and went back to using the feet mine came with. The type I bought used the VESA mounts to attach to a vertical post with a broad base.
Old 06-09-2020, 01:17 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreaFive View Post
I'm glad. I had actually already assembled the one I bought but was then so put off by reviews of it falling over, having the base shatter, etc that I returned it and went back to using the feet mine came with. The type I bought used the VESA mounts to attach to a vertical post with a broad base.
Yikes. 80% of 8600 ratings gave the one I have a five star rating so I'm hoping for the best. Makes me a little concerned, now that you mention it. They're like 30 bucks. If my TV takes a spill, I'll be pissed

EDIT: Yeah, I think I'm going to put the legs back on now that I think about it. Center is on its own shelf now anyway. I'll use the stand for my 32" I'm using on my gaming PC. Wow, I love juggling

Last edited by BluLobsta; 06-09-2020 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-09-2020, 01:30 PM   #17
Power Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
One of my buddies wanted to raise his TV so he went to Home Depot, purchased some three-quarter inch thick wood, and had them cut it into squares. He sanded it all down and used wood glue to hold them together and made two stacks and put an anti-vibration pad under them to hold them in place.

Placing them under each of the legs of his TV, he was able to raise his TV 3.5 inches. It looks really sweet and he uses the extra space under the TV to place his gaming consoles. All-in it cost him like $25 and his own labor but he's got his own little custom risers made of pine wood.

I'm sure a center channel is bigger and would require more but if you take the measurements, you can maybe make your own as well.
Old 06-09-2020, 01:33 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefytwinkie View Post
One of my buddies wanted to raise his TV so he went to Home Depot, purchased some three-quarter inch thick wood, and had them cut it into squares. He sanded it all down and used wood glue to hold them together and made two stacks and put an anti-vibration pad under them to hold them in place.

Placing them under each of the legs of his TV, he was able to raise his TV 3.5 inches. It looks really sweet and he uses the extra space under the TV to place his gaming consoles. All-in it cost him like $25 and his own labor but he's got his own little custom risers made of pine wood.

I'm sure a center channel is bigger and would require more but if you take the measurements, you can maybe make your own as well.
Yup, that's what I was originally thinking of doing, except using nylon blocks but wood seems more practical. Hmmm.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers