Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
1 day ago
10 Cloverfield Lane 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96
11 hrs ago
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

The Final Countdown 4K (Blu-ray)
$47.99
1 day ago
G.I. Joe: Retaliation 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Phantom of the Opera (Blu-ray)
$13.55
1 day ago
Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Fleabag: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99

Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99
13 hrs ago
300 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Nobody 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 05-25-2020, 06:50 AM   #1
Banned

Mar 2016
Default How much do you need to pay to hear the difference of Master Audio or TrueHD?

I have the Sony SSCS tower and center speakers in front and Pioneer SP-FS52 towers on the sides and for the life of me cannot distinguish the difference between DTS and DTS-HD MA. I wanna save space with my backups, but will I regret it later? I know my speakers are considered mid range, but does that matter enough? What kind of equipment would I need to eventually get, if it did make that much of a difference?
Old 05-25-2020, 11:52 AM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2013
UK

Depending on your own subjective hearing, maybe never.

Old compressed DTS gets bad press (and rightly so since there's no need to use it on physical Blu-ray) but it's still superior bitrate by quite a bit to most streaming platforms.

My advice is try and listen for higher frequencies, little tinkles of sound. Those are ones that tend to get muddied by compression IMHO. We tend not to notice so much in more common middle frequencies as that's what the codecs will be preserving more, bitrate allowing.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:56 PM   #3
Contributor

Apr 2009
Corner Totem Rd. and Sugden Ave., Arcam Shire

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
Depending on your own subjective hearing, maybe never.

Old compressed DTS gets bad press (and rightly so since there's no need to use it on physical Blu-ray) but it's still superior bitrate by quite a bit to most streaming platforms.

My advice is try and listen for higher frequencies, little tinkles of sound. Those are ones that tend to get muddied by compression IMHO. We tend not to notice so much in more common middle frequencies as that's what the codecs will be preserving more, bitrate allowing.
+1 agreed completely and well described but also the quality of Audio equipment will also help noticing that difference between DTS and DTS-MA or Dolby and Dolby True HD.

I do not think one need to spend a fortune on a receiver either to still notice it. But from my experience I can notice almost right away that something is off when i star watching movie and fair enough some of the older titles i have do use the lossy codec as default and I switch audio immediately.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:46 AM   #4
Banned

Mar 2016

Noticed something today. There are some uncompressed tracks that my Onkyo TX-NR575 just can't play smoothly. Sound keeps skipping. Thought it was my PC up to now, but the disc (Edward Scrissorhands 2015 Blu-ray) I just tried does the same thing as the rip of it I made tonight with its 3020 kbps track. Had to watch it in compressed DTS. Akira in 4K did the same thing. Almost all my other uncompressed tracks play fine, but yeah, I guess my receiver is not as good as I thought.

Last edited by Bn43; 05-30-2020 at 06:50 AM.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:23 PM   #5
Contributor

Apr 2009
Corner Totem Rd. and Sugden Ave., Arcam Shire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bn43 View Post
Noticed something today. There are some uncompressed tracks that my Onkyo TX-NR575 just can't play smoothly. Sound keeps skipping. Thought it was my PC up to now, but the disc (Edward Scrissorhands 2015 Blu-ray) I just tried does the same thing as the rip of it I made tonight with its 3020 kbps track. Had to watch it in compressed DTS. Akira in 4K did the same thing. Almost all my other uncompressed tracks play fine, but yeah, I guess my receiver is not as good as I thought.
Ever updated teh firmware on it?
Old 06-05-2020, 03:20 PM   #6
Banned

Mar 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
Ever updated teh firmware on it?
I just updated for the first time in two years a few minutes ago, but it didn't help.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:39 PM   #7
Power Member

Jan 2016

Quote:
I have the Sony SSCS tower and center speakers in front and Pioneer SP-FS52 towers on the sides and for the life of me cannot distinguish the difference between DTS and DTS-HD MA. I wanna save space with my backups, but will I regret it later? I know my speakers are considered mid range, but does that matter enough? What kind of equipment would I need to eventually get, if it did make that much of a difference?
I'd imagine new ears are expensive.

Your average person seems to think MP3s are fine. If it sounds good to you I wouldn't worry about upgrades. If you think the sound is really lacking then consider it.

This is coming from an audio engineer with a studio.
Thanks given by:
GRD43L (06-05-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 02:59 AM   #8
Banned

Mar 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78deluxe View Post
I'd imagine new ears are expensive.

Your average person seems to think MP3s are fine. If it sounds good to you I wouldn't worry about upgrades. If you think the sound is really lacking then consider it.

This is coming from an audio engineer with a studio.
320 kbps MP3s are totally fine.
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (06-06-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 11:56 AM   #9
Power Member

Jan 2016

Quote:
320 kbps MP3s are totally fine.
Then I wouldn't spend money on better gear, that would either lead you to beleive otherwise, or provide no value to you since your ears don't mind the quality you currently have.
Old 06-09-2020, 01:54 PM   #10
Banned

Mar 2016

Quote:
Then I wouldn't spend money on better gear, that would either lead you to beleive otherwise, or provide no value to you since your ears don't mind the quality you currently have.
Upgrading from my Sennheiser HD 558 to HD 6XX with amp/DAC definitely yielded a difference, though. As did upgrading to my amp-less, DAC-less HD 558 from whatever I had before. MP3 is good.
Old 06-09-2020, 02:57 PM   #11
Power Member

Jan 2016

Quote:
Upgrading from my Sennheiser HD 558 to HD 6XX with amp/DAC definitely yielded a difference, though. As did upgrading to my amp-less, DAC-less HD 558 from whatever I had before. MP3 is good.
I own about 7 pairs of 5xx and 6xx Senn cans, so very familair with them. MP3s being "good" is a relative term.

Those Cans are great, and thankfully are not super revealing of flaws. I think you are deriving the quality of the CANs from the quality of the source. 320MP3 is horrific, but you should be able to tell a difference between that and lossless WAV or FLAC files if you are listenting to quality music. If you are listening to heavy compressed and limited material that was done in the mixing/mastering process, the audio is basically damaged already no matter MP3 or WAV and they end up sounding the same.

Difference won't be night and day between MP3 and WAV but the more you listen you start to get some of the subtly in the high end that gets changed.
Old 06-09-2020, 03:17 PM   #12
Banned

Mar 2016

Quote:
I own about 7 pairs of 5xx and 6xx Senn cans, so very familair with them. MP3s being "good" is a relative term.

Those Cans are great, and thankfully are not super revealing of flaws. I think you are deriving the quality of the CANs from the quality of the source. 320MP3 is horrific, but you should be able to tell a difference between that and lossless WAV or FLAC files if you are listenting to quality music. If you are listening to heavy compressed and limited material that was done in the mixing/mastering process, the audio is basically damaged already no matter MP3 or WAV and they end up sounding the same.

Difference won't be night and day between MP3 and WAV but the more you listen you start to get some of the subtly in the high end that gets changed.
Placebo effect, perhaps? I mean, I can appreciate you being able to tell a difference between 320 kbps MP3 and FLAC, but it really isn't huge and MP3 is hardly horrific. I'll test again, though. When I Google this, I find Reddit threads of people mostly saying they sound almost the same if not the same.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:07 PM   #13
Power Member

Jan 2016

Quote:
Placebo effect, perhaps? I mean, I can appreciate you being able to tell a difference between 320 kbps MP3 and FLAC, but it really isn't huge and MP3 is hardly horrific. I'll test again, though. When I Google this, I find Reddit threads of people mostly saying they sound almost the same if not the same.
It depends on playback system and the users ears.

I spend hours on end working with manipulating audio with fine adjustments.

Sennheisers also have a laid back high end (which I personally like), but it makes it more difficult to hear that high end loss and change that happens with mp3 compressoin.

And I'd agree the difference isn't "huge." But it really does depend on how the audio was mix and mastered in the first place. Most modern recordings squash the signal so much much of that data and dynamic range is lost. You will really hear those differences before a mastering engineer does work on the track.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers