Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
2 hrs ago
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
8 hrs ago
G.I. Joe: Retaliation 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
8 hrs ago
Fleabag: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99
1 day ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

Drive (Blu-ray)
$31.99
2 hrs ago
Tenet 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The BRD Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$44.99
8 hrs ago
300 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Blade 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Do the Right Thing 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 09-24-2020, 12:37 PM   #61
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2013
UK

Thanks. You've been like a 2nd pair of eyes on it for me.

Is my barely noticing any sub action actually it working well now as opposed to too quiet? I can feel vibrations on the flooring even when I don't think I'm hearing much from the sub. I'm wondering if it's actually set up very well indeed now and not noticing the sub so much is because of how harmonised it is with the speakers and offering clarity to the lower end? Because a boomy subwoofer wouldn't be a well integrated one so I believe (though there's probably a lot of personal preference in that)?

I'll be doing it all over again soon as I hope to tweak the room layout itself, maybe change some furniture. So I'll come at a recalibration with more knowledge on the sub side of things to do it quicker and better now.

Last edited by oddbox83; 09-24-2020 at 12:50 PM.
Thanks given by:
dobyblue (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 12:58 AM   #62
Expert Member

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
Thanks. You've been like a 2nd pair of eyes on it for me.

Is my barely noticing any sub action actually it working well now as opposed to too quiet? I can feel vibrations on the flooring even when I don't think I'm hearing much from the sub. I'm wondering if it's actually set up very well indeed now and not noticing the sub so much is because of how harmonised it is with the speakers and offering clarity to the lower end? Because a boomy subwoofer wouldn't be a well integrated one so I believe (though there's probably a lot of personal preference in that)?

I'll be doing it all over again soon as I hope to tweak the room layout itself, maybe change some furniture. So I'll come at a recalibration with more knowledge on the sub side of things to do it quicker and better now.
The biggest challenge is that you are getting the benefit of one aspect of the sub, but missing the other. You are feeling the benefit of the down firing driver, but missing some of the output from the front facing port because the couch in between it and you, as your sub uses that port for some of its tuned output. Changing the layout would help it sounds like.

I am not a fan of boomy output at all, and have been chasing perfect bass in my room for the last 20 years. You are on the right path, but it really does come down to personal preference. I have some friends who are all about the boom because they perceive it to be louder. It also has a lot to do with what you are listening to for content of course.

To put your mind at ease a bit, I have a total of 9 subs in my room, and will at times feel everything vibrating including myself, but not hear any audible output or very little sound from the subs. That is my subs energizing the hell out of my room, which I love. I sold a pair of perfectly good 120lb subs that extended into the single digits because they were too boomy.

Last edited by gotmule; 09-25-2020 at 01:04 AM.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:48 PM   #63
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2013
UK

I did the sub crawl, MLP is definitely in a bit of a null, doesn't sound a huge one though. I think the 2nd sofa is the definitely main cause until I can replace my seating with something different.

I wonder if thinking outside the box, eg having the sub closer to MLP might be a better result?

I might just get another Cub Evo sub after all, that might be the easiest option although I'd be able to place neither in perfect positions with the room as it is now.

Last edited by oddbox83; 09-25-2020 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:10 PM   #64
Expert Member

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
I did the sub crawl, MLP is definitely in a bit of a null, doesn't sound a huge one though. I think the 2nd sofa is the definitely main cause until I can replace my seating with something different.

I wonder if thinking outside the box, eg having the sub closer to MLP might be a better result?

I might just get another Cub Evo sub after all, that might be the easiest option although I'd be able to place neither in perfect positions with the room as it is now.
Moving the sub closer would be the easiest as long as it didnít require any major work getting a cable to it or power, and you might be surprised what that may do for you. A 2nd sub is usually something I recommend, but if both of them are in compromised positions, you will probably not get the effect you are looking for. Once the seating is figured out, you will have more options it sounds like, but that might be expensive.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers