Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
5 hrs ago
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
11 hrs ago
G.I. Joe: Retaliation 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
11 hrs ago
The Rocketeer (Blu-ray)
$8.99
1 hr ago
Fleabag: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99
1 day ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

Drive (Blu-ray)
$31.99
5 hrs ago
Tenet 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The BRD Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$44.99
11 hrs ago
Blade 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

300 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 05-30-2020, 08:03 PM   #1
Power Member

Nov 2009
San Diego, CA
Default 3 subwoofers - 2 front L/R and 1 behind couch?

Currently using 2x Klipsch R-12SW subs in the front, and love the effect in movies. Looking into getting a 3rd (since it's on sale this weekend) to place behind the couch.

I definitely have enough power coming from the front 2 (located L/R next to the TV), the 3rd would be placed in the center behind the couch. Hoping this would help to "feel" the bass even more. Good idea? Bad idea?

Listening space is approximately 10x10 feet (7.2 setup) in the middle of a ~20x12 foot room. I was thinking of throwing it between the surround rear L/R chanells. The front subs are directly under the front L/R channels.

Good idea? bad idea? Overkill?

I don't need "more" bass, but would like to get some added 'feel' from one without going full-on with purchasing a buttkicker or similar setup
Old 05-30-2020, 08:15 PM   #2
Expert Member

Feb 2010

You could always try it out to see what you think as long as there is not a painful restocking fee. Your idea of placement would be the best place, and it is not overkill in my mind. I would make sure you dial it in making sure that it is a compliment to the subs up front, and not the main one you hear as there should be a balance.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:19 AM   #3
Power Member

Nov 2009
San Diego, CA

Thanks! I would definitely not want it to overpower the others. More of something to compliment them like you said.

I guess another question then.. is currently, with the 2 subs at about 35-40% gain (and +1 on the receiver), I get a good amount of bass response.

If I add another sub, I think keeping it at a matching level (35-40%) would probably be way too much for the setting it's in. I don't necessarily need louder bass or more rumble, but rather adding it to more of the room.

Going by this, it I end up needing to lower all 3 of them to 25-30% gain to get a similar effect to what I'm getting now, just having it come from more direction, would it be seen as any sort of difference to what I have now?
Old 05-31-2020, 12:38 AM   #4
Expert Member

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIDERone View Post
Thanks! I would definitely not want it to overpower the others. More of something to compliment them like you said.

I guess another question then.. is currently, with the 2 subs at about 35-40% gain (and +1 on the receiver), I get a good amount of bass response.

If I add another sub, I think keeping it at a matching level (35-40%) would probably be way too much for the setting it's in. I don't necessarily need louder bass or more rumble, but rather adding it to more of the room.

Going by this, it I end up needing to lower all 3 of them to 25-30% gain to get a similar effect to what I'm getting now, just having it come from more direction, would it be seen as any sort of difference to what I have now?
That really depends on your room and where you sit with respect to the subs. It sounds like you might be closer to the 3rd one, so the bass waves would more than likely be hitting you differently, which might impact volume and frequency response.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:12 AM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

May 2011
Earth

I have run 3 subs for years.

My sub was placed behind my couch at center seat pointed towards wall directly behind centre street. Sounds great to me.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:09 AM   #6
Power Member

Nov 2009
San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic_debauchery View Post
I have run 3 subs for years.

My sub was placed behind my couch at center seat pointed towards wall directly behind centre street. Sounds great to me.
Thank you! 3rd sub is arriving today, I did move the 2nd sub behind the couch to test it out first and enjoyed the rumble!
When you mention pointed towards the wall, I assume this means the subwoofer is pointed away from the couch? is there a benefit/difference to this?
I only tried it pointed AT the couch when testing
Old 06-03-2020, 11:23 AM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

May 2011
Earth

Quote:
Thank you! 3rd sub is arriving today, I did move the 2nd sub behind the couch to test it out first and enjoyed the rumble!
When you mention pointed towards the wall, I assume this means the subwoofer is pointed away from the couch? is there a benefit/difference to this?

Mine was more a limitation of the room, so I couldn’t point it at the couch.

Benefit with a 3rd sub is less null in the back of the room, in whichever way it is pointed. Bass is omnidirectional.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:09 PM   #8
Expert Member

Apr 2008

Quote:
I just started running 4 subs in the last couple weeks to obtain similar goals: getting that near field, tactile, mid bass impact. I have a 13x17 living space, and felt that two SVS PB16s would do the job. My first step was to get a U-mik1 and measure my in room responses. I then purchased a MiniDSP HD device to time align and calibrate the 2 SVS subs.

I was still missing that tactile near field bass response, so I ended up getting a pair of sealed SVS SB3000s, after having experimented with an REL 1205 sub as well. I wouldn't have made this attempt after having countless hours using REW and the MiniDSP integration, for gain matching, level matching, critical time alignment, crossover integration with my mains, and then using the EQ in creating a house curve to get the correct bass frequencies in multiple seats.
It's been well worth the efforts, and I wouldn't try any multiple sub integration without being able to measure the bass frequency curves. It becomes more complex when you try to combine both ported and sealed subs, but I wanted to have the advantages of both types (ported for ULF, below 20hz) and (sealed for tight, articulate detailed musical bass).

Let us know how it works out for you.
Old 12-20-2020, 06:15 PM   #9

Oct 2011

Are there any areas are just dead from any bass? A quiet Spot, where you can hear all the other sound, but no bass?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers