Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
47 min ago
Smile (Blu-ray)
$23.49
1 hr ago
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49
1 hr ago
Dead & Buried 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.99
2 hrs ago
Godzilla vs. Kong / Godzilla: King of the Monsters / Kong: Skull Island (Blu-ray)
$39.99
14 hrs ago
The Web (Blu-ray)
$16.59
14 hrs ago
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

Working Girls (Blu-ray)
$27.99
3 hrs ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

Shenandoah (Blu-ray)
$16.59
47 min ago
Do the Right Thing 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99
20 hrs ago
Baise-moi (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 hr ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 08-12-2009, 04:34 PM   #21
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_FORCE View Post
Nice once callas !

There's a handy review from Home Cinema Choice, which is probably the numero uno of HT mags here in the UK.(their online buddies are Tech Radar) about the reference series. Just incase anyone fancies delving into the magic these speakers create:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/aud...-496220/review

added to the first post, thanks

I am actually heading to a place today to hear some PSBs and KEFs(hopefully) on my travels to a meeting....
Old 08-13-2009, 06:09 AM   #22
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Alright. So today I went to a shop and listened to a bunch of different KEF speakers and I was impressed. I have always like the look of them, but never actually heard them. I must say that the iQ50 is tiny.... it looked like it needed a riser just to be raised to ear level.... but the iQ90 was sharp. Sound was really good, mids were not quite as good as I would have hoped, but I was watching The Simpsons Movie on them, so who knows, not a movie I am familiar with either. But they sounded good, forward sounding, I wish I would have brought a CD with me too.

They also had the xQ's there too, they had a whole setup with a projector and AVP 2 Blu-ray playing. I must say there was great detail and they were powerful sounding too. The surrounds themselves were awesome sounding and could be used alone as fronts, they were very impressive. Large too. I spent a lot of time with this setup while I was there.

My overall thoughts were that they are forward sounding speakers, with great highs and deep bass, but the mid-range lacked some. They pushed a little toward the highs, although they weren't bright. I thought the xQ's had great detail for movies. I was whishing I could have stayed longer, but I had to go. The iQ9s were a lot like the xQ's in terms of sound, I think the xQ's had better mid-range push, and that the iQ9s had an ever so slight tinny sound, but not much. Overall I thought they sounded really, really nice, both of them. The speakers seemed somewhat neutral leaning towards the highs, I did not find them quite as neutral as say B&W speakers are, but I can say that I and my friend were happy watching AVP.

They were hooked up to a Pioneer receiver so that may have aided in the brighter side of the sound, so I would love to know what they would sound like with a warmer sounding receiver.

This is definetly a speaker manufacture I would suggest everyone audition. Especially if HT is more your fortay then Music, but I will be going back with a couple CDs, at some point.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:32 PM   #23
Power Member

Jan 2008
along the beltway

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

This is definetly a speaker manufacture I would suggest everyone audition. Especially if HT is more your fortay then Music, but I will be going back with a couple CDs, at some point.
Much appreciated Callas! I'm planning on getting a pair of IQ9s around Xmas or early 2010!
Old 08-13-2009, 12:54 PM   #24
Power Member

Jul 2009
ʞ∩ ǝɥ┴

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafi View Post
Much appreciated Callas! I'm planning on getting a pair of IQ9s around Xmas or early 2010!
Good call !! Roll on Xmas. YeeeeEEEHHHAAAA ! 2010 is far too late.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:13 PM   #25
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:
sounds good, have you heard them yet? definetly a speaker you want to audition. I would also audition Paradigm too, I would think they are gonna be close in sound as Paradigms are forward sounding too. Plus I would look into other neutral sounding speakers also like B&W. Just so you know what you want... IMO, never just get set on one speaker.......
Old 08-13-2009, 06:01 PM   #26
Power Member

Jan 2008
along the beltway

Quote:
sounds good, have you heard them yet? definetly a speaker you want to audition. I would also audition Paradigm too, I would think they are gonna be close in sound as Paradigms are forward sounding too. Plus I would look into other neutral sounding speakers also like B&W. Just so you know what you want... IMO, never just get set on one speaker.......
B&Ws have floor standing speakers in that price range? I've heard the IQ7s and really liked em...I'm a layman when it comes to speakers but they sounded damn nice for Home Theater. And thats what I would primarily be looking into it for. Course somewhere down the line I do wanna restart a vinyl collection but that will be a few years before that one gets fulfilled!
Old 08-13-2009, 06:47 PM   #27
Power Member

Jan 2008
along the beltway

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_FORCE View Post
Good call !! Roll on Xmas. YeeeeEEEHHHAAAA ! 2010 is far too late.
Yup it is far too late but some of us arent rockstars hint hint!

My wife and I have a wager goin on Force. She thinks your dad wrote a Xmas song back in the 60s which was huge hit lol...I'm thinking you used to sing for Duran Duran or Morrissey or even one of the Kemp brothers

Oh did I mention one of my friends think youre a photographer!
Old 08-13-2009, 10:40 PM   #28
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:
B&Ws have floor standing speakers in that price range? I've heard the IQ7s and really liked em...I'm a layman when it comes to speakers but they sounded damn nice for Home Theater. And thats what I would primarily be looking into it for. Course somewhere down the line I do wanna restart a vinyl collection but that will be a few years before that one gets fulfilled!
Well you figure that the B&W 684s retail about $550 each and the 683s retail about $750 each. From looking at Vanns.com it appears that the prices for the iQ7s/iQ9s are about identical. I think the Paradigm Monitor 7s are just under $1k and the Monitor 9s are about $1100-1200.

Yes the iQs are nice speakers, especially for HT, I would really like to put some music through them. The guy told me to come back with movies and music and they would hook it up... Although the xQ40 is fantastic... If you have $4K for 2 speakers.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:38 AM   #29

Aug 2009
Atlanta, GA
Default KEF sound??

this might sound like a ridiculous question, but...

Nobody within driving distance from me sells KEF, but I'm very interested in the IQ90 system. Can anyone possibly describe the KEF sound? (bright, warm, forward, smooth, fatiguing, non-fatiguing, transparent, powerful, stressed at higher volumes, hollow, imaging ...) again, particulary referring to the IQ90's. I know the question is a bit sketchy, but I would appreciate any attempt. Thanks!
Old 08-14-2009, 05:04 AM   #30
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by okbarshabazz View Post
this might sound like a ridiculous question, but...

Nobody within driving distance from me sells KEF, but I'm very interested in the IQ90 system. Can anyone possibly describe the KEF sound? (bright, warm, forward, smooth, fatiguing, non-fatiguing, transparent, powerful, stressed at higher volumes, hollow, imaging ...) again, particulary referring to the IQ90's. I know the question is a bit sketchy, but I would appreciate any attempt. Thanks!
You can read my post #22, but to recap. WHERE DO YOU LIVE?? zipcode please.

The KEF iQ90's are a forward sounding speakers, leaning toward the bright side. The lows are really good and the highs are excellent, but like I said, leaning towards a brighter sound, but not like klipsch. The mids are smooth, not as strong as Energy or PSB in the mid-range, but nice. I listened to the iQ90s yesterday, they were nice sounding speakers. KEF speakers have very good detail to them too, typical of forward/brighter speaker, but it was nice to hear the crystal clear detail. I liked them a lot better then I liked the Polk RTi A9s. I didn't get the chance to hear music on them, so I don't know if they would be fatiguing or not over long periods of music. I really spent more time with the xQ40s then the iQ90s, but I did like the iQ90s overall sound.

Personally I would probably pair them up with a warm sounding receiver like the Harman Kardons or Yamaha, I think it would smooth them out a little more. The Pioneer that was hooked up the xQ40s which added to the brightness of the sound. As did the Denon receiver hooked up to the iQ90s.

All in all, they are a very good, powerful speaker. I am pretty sure you wouldn't take them back.. But then there aren't too many speakers in that price range that I would take back.

I do highly suggest driving to hear them. Personally my tastes I think are a little more laidback then forward driven, you really want to make sure you will be happy with your speaker choice(which I think you will with these)... Otherwise make sure where ever you buy them they have a good return policy, JUST IN CASE. But I will almost garauntee that if you are an 80-90% movie watcher, and not a music person, then you will absolutly 100% be happy you went with these over say, Polk, Klipsch or JBL.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:17 AM   #31

Aug 2009
Atlanta, GA

Thanks so much! That was perfect.. Thanks for taking the time. I live near Atlanta, GA. and can't find anybody in the state who sells 'em (the closest is in one of the Carolina's I just fell in love with the looks (one of the things I like about the PSB's I ended up going with).

...But once upon a time I had some Klipsch, and then Defintive Technology Mythos (bought those for the looks). The Klipsch definitely got old on the ears, and while the Mythos are great they were lacking warmth (intentionally so, they don't produce midbass in an attempt to achieve accuracy).

I just got tired of the fatiguing sound... I considered Vienna's for awhile but felt that they couldn't be driven to higher volumes and my use is 90% HT. But as you put it: maybe that forward sound wouldn't be for me. I would still love to audition them sometime!..
Old 08-14-2009, 05:19 AM   #32

Aug 2009
Atlanta, GA

P.S. sorry I didn't see you're previous post
Old 08-14-2009, 05:22 AM   #33
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:
Thanks so much! That was perfect.. Thanks for taking the time. I live near Atlanta, GA. and can't find anybody in the state who sells 'em (the closest is in one of the Carolina's I just fell in love with the looks (one of the things I like about the PSB's I ended up going with).

...But once upon a time I had some Klipsch, and then Defintive Technology Mythos (bought those for the looks). The Klipsch definitely got old on the ears, and while the Mythos are great they were lacking warmth (intentionally so, they don't produce midbass in an attempt to achieve accuracy).

I just got tired of the fatiguing sound... I considered Vienna's for awhile but felt that they couldn't be driven to higher volumes and my use is 90% HT. But as you put it: maybe that forward sound wouldn't be for me. I would still love to audition them sometime!..
http://www2.kef.com/us/Retailers

Check this link, are any of these close to you?
Old 08-14-2009, 05:26 AM   #34

Aug 2009
Atlanta, GA

Quote:
http://www2.kef.com/us/Retailers

Check this link, are any of these close to you?
yeah, already tried it.. unbelievably those places are either already out of business, or don't have a showroom at all!

thanks though!

You mentioned the Polk RTi's... they were too harsh for my liking. I would have to say that the Paradigm Studio Reference have the sound closest to my preference. I auditioned the 60 v.5 the other day.

Last edited by okbarshabazz; 08-14-2009 at 05:28 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:28 AM   #35
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:

I have always loved the look of them too. That is what drew me into wanting to hear them so badly. I understand with klipsch what you mean. The Mythos I have never been a fan of for the money, would rather have the BP7006's.

Interesting, for me I don't like Vienna either... BB has them and I have tried and tried to like them but just never do, I want a little meat to the sound of my speakers and the Vienna's are just too "airy" for my tastes.

So you have PSBs, I was looking at your Gallery and couldn't tell if they were PSBs or Swans. I take it they are the Imagine??? How do you like them? Why are you looking into something else?
Old 08-14-2009, 05:32 AM   #36
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:
yeah, already tried it.. unbelievably those places are either already out of business, or don't have a showroom at all!

thanks though!

You mentioned the Polk RTi's... they were too harsh for my liking. I would have to say that the Paradigm Studio Reference have the sound closest to my preference. I auditioned the 60 v.5 the other day.
interesting.... Yeah I told the kids in the Polk thread that I was not overly impressed with the RTis, to me they sounded like a slightly better version of the TSis. Why would I pay $500 to $1000 more for not that much of an upgrade?? No thanks. Hopefully I did the TSi owners a favor and saved one or two a few dollars. Personally for the same basic sound I would rather have the cheaper speakers.

I have never heard the Paradigm Studios. what are those like? I hear they are warmer then the Monitor series...
Old 08-14-2009, 05:40 AM   #37

Aug 2009
Atlanta, GA

Quote:
I have always loved the look of them too. That is what drew me into wanting to hear them so badly. I understand with klipsch what you mean. The Mythos I have never been a fan of for the money, would rather have the BP7006's.

Interesting, for me I don't like Vienna either... BB has them and I have tried and tried to like them but just never do, I want a little meat to the sound of my speakers and the Vienna's are just too "airy" for my tastes.

So you have PSBs, I was looking at your Gallery and couldn't tell if they were PSBs or Swans. I take it they are the Imagine??? How do you like them? Why are you looking into something else?
Yeah, I got the mythos for 60% off and they've really been great for a lifestyle system. I totally agree w/ you on the Viennas

and yes, those are the Imagines.. and I love them! not really looking into anything else... I suppose just trying to further justify my decision. It came down to those, the Paradigms I mentioned, and the KEF's. obviously I never got to hear the KEF's, and I just felt the PSB's were more refined than the Paradigms (plus, I got a pretty good deal on 'em) overall, the Imagines were the complete package.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:47 AM   #38
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:
Yeah, I got the mythos for 60% off and they've really been great for a lifestyle system. I totally agree w/ you on the Viennas

and yes, those are the Imagines.. and I love them! not really looking into anything else... I suppose just trying to further justify my decision. It came down to those, the Paradigms I mentioned, and the KEF's. obviously I never got to hear the KEF's, and I just felt the PSB's were more refined than the Paradigms (plus, I got a pretty good deal on 'em) overall, the Imagines were the complete package.
Yeah, I am really interested in the PSBs and Monitor Audios. I heard the Alpha T1s, they were nice, I prefered the Energys better. The place I was at the other day had some Image T55 and T65s, but they weren't hooked up so I couldn't audition them.

What are the Imagines like?

Also, did you look at the B&W CM series or the Monitor Audios Silvers and Golds

Last edited by callas01; 08-14-2009 at 05:53 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:52 AM   #39

Aug 2009
Atlanta, GA

Quote:
I have never heard the Paradigm Studios. what are those like? I hear they are warmer then the Monitor series...
I definitely recommend you give them an audition.. they are brilliant. The Monitors are an amazing value as the Studios get up there in price... I couldn't say warmer, they just evoke such elegance, refinedness, and quality both in looks and sound (especially the most updated versions). They are just perfectly balanced. Great all-around upper-mid priced speaker!
Old 08-14-2009, 06:02 AM   #40

Aug 2009
Atlanta, GA

Quote:
What are the Imagines like?

Also, did you look at the B&W CM series or the Monitor Audios?
Sound&Vision magazine did a review of the Imagines awhile back that described them as "not spectacular, but always sounding right."
...So I would say "accurate," alot like the Paradigms, but not as "loose" or as some say "warm." It's weird, they don't lean any one way, or blow you away like an ElectroStat or anything, but it seems like they don't have any real weakness (I've heard some people say they sound small). great bass, awesome imaging, smooth, refined, real tight and focused, just really easy to listen to - possibly the most important thing!

PSB just redesigned the Image line to look like the Imagines and are getting great reviews. the Alphas didn't impress me much..

I heard B&W's and Monitors awhile back, the CM's intrigued me.. just not the sound I was going for
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers