Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Dead & Buried 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.99
1 hr ago
Smile (Blu-ray)
$23.49
41 min ago
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49
41 min ago
Godzilla vs. Kong / Godzilla: King of the Monsters / Kong: Skull Island (Blu-ray)
$39.99
13 hrs ago
The Web (Blu-ray)
$16.59
13 hrs ago
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
 
Working Girls (Blu-ray)
$27.99
2 hrs ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97
 
Do the Right Thing 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99
19 hrs ago
Voyagers 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.99
12 hrs ago
Bringing Up Baby (Blu-ray)
$27.99
2 hrs ago
Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
$27.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2009, 06:20 AM   #41
callas01 callas01 is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
callas01's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
Riverside, CA
39
230
47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by okbarshabazz View Post
Sound&Vision magazine did a review of the Imagines awhile back that described them as "not spectacular, but always sounding right."
...So I would say "accurate," alot like the Paradigms, but not as "loose" or as some say "warm." It's weird, they don't lean any one way, or blow you away like an ElectroStat or anything, but it seems like they don't have any real weakness (I've heard some people say they sound small). great bass, awesome imaging, smooth, refined, real tight and focused, just really easy to listen to - possibly the most important thing!

PSB just redesigned the Image line to look like the Imagines and are getting great reviews. the Alphas didn't impress me much..

I heard B&W's and Monitors awhile back, the CM's intrigued me.. just not the sound I was going for
Hmm.... I will definetly have to listen to some of PSBs other offerings. The Image T55/65s are HUGE, much bigger then I thought they would be. Would be interested in listening to them non-the-less. Personally ElectroStats don't do much for me. Another speaker I avoid. Yeah, the Alphas were ok, but I thought that for the $550-600 range the Energys were much better. And then I got the Energy C-300s for $250/pr. That was a steal.

Yeah, the CMs are nice, smoother then the 600 series I am used to. My dad has 603 S2s and I have heard the 684s too many times. I haven't heard the Monitor Audios YET, but those are on my list next. I read only great reviews of them. Plus I want to relisten to the Energy Reference series.

I told my wife at the next upgrade I was gonna spend some money on L/C/R speakers, about $2-2.5k. On the list at the momment are Energy Reference RC-50s, Monitor Audio Silvers RS6, and PSB Image series. But this upgrade is a ways away.

Last edited by callas01; 08-14-2009 at 06:22 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:56 AM   #42
THE_FORCE THE_FORCE is offline
Power Member
 
THE_FORCE's Avatar
 
Jul 2009
ʞ∩ ǝɥ┴
61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafi View Post
Yup it is far too late but some of us arent rockstars hint hint!

My wife and I have a wager goin on Force. She thinks your dad wrote a Xmas song back in the 60s which was huge hit lol...I'm thinking you used to sing for Duran Duran or Morrissey or even one of the Kemp brothers

Oh did I mention one of my friends think youre a photographer!
Absolutely PMSL ! I wish - on all counts ! My Sister in Law was quite a famous singer back in the 70's though. I'm just your average Joe I'm afraid, who prefers the quiet life.

I reckon you'll adore the IQ9's wafi. Get ready to listen to your whole music collection all over again, and hear detail in the audio that you might not have heard before. Luther (r.i.p.) sounds sooooo good through the Kef's.

p.s would love to start a vinyl collection again also . One day !
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:06 AM   #43
okbarshabazz okbarshabazz is offline
Active Member
 
okbarshabazz's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
Atlanta, GA
19
17
Default CEDIA 2009 - Atlanta, GA

I finally got to hear the KEF IQ90's at CEDIA today... I must say, I was quite impressed; the sound was right up my alley... very nice!

This - a little disappointing in that I was considering purchasing them, but couldn't find a dealer to audition them. A shame, but I guess I don't regret my purchase.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:34 AM   #44
THE_FORCE THE_FORCE is offline
Power Member
 
THE_FORCE's Avatar
 
Jul 2009
ʞ∩ ǝɥ┴
61
Default

The glowing review for the newer XQ's is in this month's Home Cinema Choice:



And is now up on TechRadar (the sister site to the mag) here:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/aud...-635421/review

Callas, I don't know if you want to replace the XQ's review in the first post with this as that was for the older model XQ's ?

There's also the original PDF review for the Reference series from HCC here :

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/file...ent/kef165.pdf

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:18 PM   #45
PSB_Paradigm_HSU PSB_Paradigm_HSU is offline
Active Member
 
PSB_Paradigm_HSU's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
VA
9
23
Default

CEDIA EXPO 2009

KEF Concept Blade:

http://www.soundstage2.com/avtour2009/he_ss01.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:17 AM   #46
THE_FORCE THE_FORCE is offline
Power Member
 
THE_FORCE's Avatar
 
Jul 2009
ʞ∩ ǝɥ┴
61
Default

The Blade's a thing of beauty don't you reckon ?

The idea behind it, is that the whole speaker acts as a single, full range driver with the woofers sharing the acoustical centre with the Uni-Q array. Nice to see the tangerine waveguide being used in there also.

Althought they're not officially destined for the consumer market, you just never know......
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:59 PM   #47
DerrellB DerrellB is offline
Power Member
 
DerrellB's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
59
3
Default

Thought I would bring this speaker thread back alive. Where are all the KEF owners at.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:18 AM   #48
callas01 callas01 is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
callas01's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
Riverside, CA
39
230
47
Default

Derrell, unfortunately there just aren't too many Kef owners. However I really like that they are detailed and crystal clear, but for me they are a little too bright, however I do like their brightness considerably more then say Klipsch speakers.

Too bad there weren't more Kef owners around here. Good to see you representing... Love the setup by the way. Your maple speakers almost blend right into your painted walls... Love it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:32 PM   #49
DerrellB DerrellB is offline
Power Member
 
DerrellB's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
59
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
Derrell, unfortunately there just aren't too many Kef owners. However I really like that they are detailed and crystal clear, but for me they are a little too bright, however I do like their brightness considerably more then say Klipsch speakers.

Too bad there weren't more Kef owners around here. Good to see you representing... Love the setup by the way. Your maple speakers almost blend right into your painted walls... Love it.
Thanks for the compliments callas. I agree that they are a little bright and have really noticed it since I switch from HK to pioneer elite. The HK laid them back alot but was not as dynamic in the movies. The pioneer elite is that exact opposite, more dynamic but doesnt lay back the speakers as much. Too be honest, because I listen to the alot of music, I actually prefer the HK over the pio elite.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #50
ZIPPO ZIPPO is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
ZIPPO's Avatar
 
May 2008
Columbus, Ohio
148
472
3
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerrellB View Post
Thanks for the compliments callas. I agree that they are a little bright and have really noticed it since I switch from HK to pioneer elite. The HK laid them back alot but was not as dynamic in the movies. The pioneer elite is that exact opposite, more dynamic but doesnt lay back the speakers as much. Too be honest, because I listen to the alot of music, I actually prefer the HK over the pio elite.
Why the upgrade from the HK?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #51
DerrellB DerrellB is offline
Power Member
 
DerrellB's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
59
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPPO View Post
Why the upgrade from the HK?
The Hk had limited tweaks. And I wanted to see what all the pio elite hype was about.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #52
callas01 callas01 is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
callas01's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
Riverside, CA
39
230
47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerrellB View Post
Thanks for the compliments callas. I agree that they are a little bright and have really noticed it since I switch from HK to pioneer elite. The HK laid them back alot but was not as dynamic in the movies. The pioneer elite is that exact opposite, more dynamic but doesnt lay back the speakers as much. Too be honest, because I listen to the alot of music, I actually prefer the HK over the pio elite.
Yeah, when I heard the Kefs at a local dealer, they had the XQ40's hooked up to a Pioneer Elite and while the detail and clarity was awesome, they just were a little brighter then I prefer my speakers to sound. I was watching AVP Re****.. and it was nice sounding.

I also heard the iQ70s on a Denon which was a little warmer, not too much, but still had detail and clarity.

Perhaps a Marantz receiver like the 5003 would give you the warmth you desire combined with the power and functionality and adjustments that you want.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:54 AM   #53
THE_FORCE THE_FORCE is offline
Power Member
 
THE_FORCE's Avatar
 
Jul 2009
ʞ∩ ǝɥ┴
61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerrellB View Post
Thought I would bring this speaker thread back alive. Where are all the KEF owners at.
How many hours have you given the Kef's Derrell ? Are you enjoying them ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:21 AM   #54
DerrellB DerrellB is offline
Power Member
 
DerrellB's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
59
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_FORCE View Post
How many hours have you given the Kef's Derrell ? Are you enjoying them ?
I have about a little over a hunderd hours on them. I am definitely enjoying them. I am finding out about synergy the hard way and missing the HK I had with them as my pre-pro. The pio elite kind of brightens them up beyond my liking so we will see whats the next move.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:15 AM   #55
callas01 callas01 is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
callas01's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
Riverside, CA
39
230
47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerrellB View Post
I have about a little over a hunderd hours on them. I am definitely enjoying them. I am finding out about synergy the hard way and missing the HK I had with them as my pre-pro. The pio elite kind of brightens them up beyond my liking so we will see whats the next move.
Perhaps you could look into selling the Pioneer to someone you know or someone on here for a nominal price and then use that to invest into another reciever?.?

My local Energy dealer was willing to let me bring my reciever down to connect it to the Energys if I had wanted too, perhaps you could check with your local receiver dealer if you can bring your speakers in to the audition. Im sure they would if you buy from them. Look into a Marantz, see if it has the tweaking tools you want or perhaps a yamaha or another HK.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:54 AM   #56
jdub jdub is offline
Active Member
 
jdub's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
6
115
1
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerrellB View Post
I have about a little over a hunderd hours on them. I am definitely enjoying them. I am finding out about synergy the hard way and missing the HK I had with them as my pre-pro. The pio elite kind of brightens them up beyond my liking so we will see whats the next move.
I am a fellow kef owner, I am new to the site and I plan on posting my setup soon. I originally had mine paired with a pio elite and I totally agree they sounded way to bright almost sharp. Gun casings hitting the ground almost hurt my ears. I recently got a Marantz receiver and I couldn't be happier. They sound so warm and smooth now. One big reason I love my Kefs is I never get ear fatigue. I can listen to them at high volumes for hours. They are def. lacking in the low and midrange. If you plan on using them for home theater a sub is a must. I currently can't watch heavy lfe movies at the volume I like because they bottom out. Other than that I love my babies
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:14 PM   #57
callas01 callas01 is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
callas01's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
Riverside, CA
39
230
47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
I am a fellow kef owner, I am new to the site and I plan on posting my setup soon. I originally had mine paired with a pio elite and I totally agree they sounded way to bright almost sharp. Gun casings hitting the ground almost hurt my ears. I recently got a Marantz receiver and I couldn't be happier. They sound so warm and smooth now. One big reason I love my Kefs is I never get ear fatigue. I can listen to them at high volumes for hours. They are def. lacking in the low and midrange. If you plan on using them for home theater a sub is a must. I currently can't watch heavy lfe movies at the volume I like because they bottom out. Other than that I love my babies
I take it you do not have a sub yet? Kefs don't go extremely deep, but for a bright speaker I thought the mid-range was pretty well developed compared to Klipsch. Perhaps not a developed as PSB or Energy, but both of those companies have a warm sound with a mid-range push, so that is to be expected some.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:36 PM   #58
jdub jdub is offline
Active Member
 
jdub's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
6
115
1
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
I take it you do not have a sub yet? Kefs don't go extremely deep, but for a bright speaker I thought the mid-range was pretty well developed compared to Klipsch. Perhaps not a developed as PSB or Energy, but both of those companies have a warm sound with a mid-range push, so that is to be expected some.
Yeah no sub as of yet. I have had a really hard time deciding and the more research I do the more I can't make up my mind. I am not sure if I should just go for SVS entry subs or start off with some thing a bit less expensive. Like an ed.. So in your opinion PSB and energy speakers have a similar sound to Kefs?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #59
DerrellB DerrellB is offline
Power Member
 
DerrellB's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
59
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
Perhaps you could look into selling the Pioneer to someone you know or someone on here for a nominal price and then use that to invest into another reciever?.?

My local Energy dealer was willing to let me bring my reciever down to connect it to the Energys if I had wanted too, perhaps you could check with your local receiver dealer if you can bring your speakers in to the audition. Im sure they would if you buy from them. Look into a Marantz, see if it has the tweaking tools you want or perhaps a yamaha or another HK.
Marantz and HK are definitely my next move. I told my wife I was done but I guess I am not. Trying to sneak another mfw15 in right now. I am pretty sure I can sell the pio fast because thats the brand people are flocking to these days. They just dont do it for me even as just a pre pro. The Hk had those kefs singing. But I have done other changes to my setup. Gave up on the plasma, I hate image retention and the lcd I bought has just as good of a pic to me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:59 PM   #60
callas01 callas01 is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
callas01's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
Riverside, CA
39
230
47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
Yeah no sub as of yet. I have had a really hard time deciding and the more research I do the more I can't make up my mind. I am not sure if I should just go for SVS entry subs or start off with some thing a bit less expensive. Like an ed.. So in your opinion PSB and energy speakers have a similar sound to Kefs?
Well, I was gonna get a Hsu sub, and they are really nice subs. The VTF line lets you adjust to what you are listening too. They have an extended mode for deep bass and a Maximum mode for Full sounding bass. Very musical subs with excellent bass reproduction. Personally I would get the Hsu over the SVS, but that is just me. I did go with an eD because Ihave little kids and didn't want them to mess with the setting on the VTF's tuning switches. But my wife knows how much I wanted the Hsu, she said once they are older, the kids, then I could. Hsu doesn't get a lot of love on here, but they are excellent, excellent subs. Their STF- Single tuning frequency subs are great too, if you want an inexpensive high quality sub.

PSB and Energy have a warm sound that is somewhat similar, but different. They don't have the same sound as Kefs, Kefs are brighter speakers that need to be warmed up to sound really nice IMO, PSB and Energy are warm speakers that I find are excellent whether they have a warm or bright receiver. Kefs have great upper detail in the highs and upper mids, but lack depth in the mid-range. PSB and Energy have a very open, deep mid-range with excellent highs, but the highs are not bright, they are laidback and smooth but detailed. Some would say that PSB and Energy don't exactly sound LOUD, when they get Loud, because of the laidback nature of the speakers, where as Kef get a little more in your face. All in all, I think that Kef makes a great speaker, it would probably not be the speaker I would ever own, but I like to see people that do buy them and enjoy the Hell out of them.

Also there is a guy on here that is trying to sell an Energy sub for about 200 shipped. It only gets to about 27hz, but Energy does make some pretty good subs. Let me know and I will put you in contact with him.

Last edited by callas01; 01-20-2010 at 10:01 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
The Official Vintage Equipment and Speaker Thread Speakers prerich 238 05-13-2011 10:31 AM
HT Receiver and speaker questions (Marantz, Sony, KEF) Home Theater General Discussion nyindallas 0 09-12-2009 04:45 AM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:43 AM.