Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
1 day ago
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
The Final Countdown 4K (Blu-ray)
$47.99
20 hrs ago
G.I. Joe: Retaliation 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

Tenet 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Ultraman Zero Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Wire: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$87.25
5 hrs ago
Fleabag: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Blade 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 12-06-2009, 08:13 PM   #41

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerserker View Post
Great veneer job crazy, bet no one else has a set of polks like that.
I think you should come be one of my minions, I'll give all the veneering jobs to you.

@zicmubleu, thank you for the props. I don't know about "artisan" but maybe "capable".
Thanks for the compliment Beerserker . They are one of A kind speakers .
Old 12-07-2009, 03:58 AM   #42

Oct 2008

crazyb your ideas have the potential to destroy my staycation time
Old 12-07-2009, 04:07 AM   #43

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsidhu View Post
crazyb your ideas have the potential to destroy my staycation time
No . Don't let what I do destroy anything !! I put that there so other people could do it if they wanted too.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:17 AM   #44

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyBLUE View Post
No . Don't let what I do destroy anything !! I put that there so other people could do it if they wanted too.
But it's too tempting...
Old 12-07-2009, 04:26 AM   #45

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
But it's too tempting...
This is why I did it .

This

Or This

Old 12-07-2009, 04:31 AM   #46

Oct 2008

If I can do this the number of options in the used speaker market goes up for me.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:35 AM   #47

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
If I can do this the number of options in the used speaker market goes up for me.
True . & you can be like me & say you have one of A kind speakers .
Old 12-07-2009, 04:46 AM   #48

Oct 2008

Quote:
one of a kindwhy don't I just build a tower set...must do some reading
Old 12-07-2009, 04:52 AM   #49

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Do some research & make your own . I plan on doing it in the future with 3 front towers like I have now for my front sound stage .
Old 12-07-2009, 09:16 PM   #50

Dec 2009
Las Vegas

Quote:
vsidhu, crazy, start by looking at builds done by other people to get an idea what is involved. Figure out what tools you will need to borrow/buy and if you or a friend have the skill set necessary. I think anyone can do it, but working with saws and such can be dangerous so experience is recommended.

You can follow along with my build in this thread, but there are also tons of builds on other forums out there as well. Look at designs by Jed Kuntz, Jim Holtz, Zaph Audio and Jon Marsh to name a few. There are also tons of links at the start of the thread, courtesy of BD.

If you think you like your gear now, just wait till you are listening to speakers YOU built that sound amazing. Plus the price/performance ratio is unrivaled, even if you have to buy a few tools.

EDIT: There are also kits available that you can get shipped to you, wood and all. I know parts express offers a couple, as well as pre-made cabinets.

Last edited by Beerserker; 12-07-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:05 PM   #51

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
vsidhu, crazy, start by looking at builds done by other people to get an idea what is involved. Figure out what tools you will need to borrow/buy and if you or a friend have the skill set necessary. I think anyone can do it, but working with saws and such can be dangerous so experience is recommended.

You can follow along with my build in this thread, but there are also tons of builds on other forums out there as well. Look at designs by Jed Kuntz, Jim Holtz, Zaph Audio and Jon Marsh to name a few. There are also tons of links at the start of the thread, courtesy of BD.

If you think you like your gear now, just wait till you are listening to speakers YOU built that sound amazing. Plus the price/performance ratio is unrivaled, even if you have to buy a few tools.

EDIT: There are also kits available that you can get shipped to you, wood and all. I know parts express offers a couple, as well as pre-made cabinets.
Beerserker. I have been working with wood for over 20 years , Everything I would/could need is at my fingertips at work . I can even write A program for cutting the cabinet pieces out of the MDF on one of the CNC machines . This will be vary easy for me when I decide to do it !
Old 12-07-2009, 10:39 PM   #52

Jul 2009
Brooklyn, NY

Quote:
But I do have one of a kind speakers, and they look nothing like yours....
Old 12-07-2009, 11:12 PM   #53

Dec 2009
Las Vegas

Quote:
Beerserker. I have been working with wood for over 20 years , Everything I would/could need is at my fingertips at work . I can even write A program for cutting the cabinet pieces out of the MDF on one of the CNC machines . This will be vary easy for me when I decide to do it !
OK. You can disregard my advice then. I shall expect nothing but excellence!!
Old 12-07-2009, 11:56 PM   #54

Oct 2008

Quote:

I'm going to get a jigsaw on boxing day. I have a drill, electric paint sprayer, handheld circular saw. I will also need clamps, wire cutter/strippers, probably some other stuff. Most major cuts I'll leave to home depot. My experience working with wood include three years of shop class making simple things like clocks. My experience with speakers/wiring includes upgrading outlets, 1st year physics classes (worked with super tweeters...some serious ear bleeders). I also have my dad for tips (he worked in cutting mouldings/doors for 7 years). Still a beginner I guess, but I'm going to do A LOT of research.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:59 PM   #55

Dec 2009
Las Vegas

PART TWO!!

After a little light stretching, I fed the hounds and then waded back into battle...

Here is my wittle table saw. Aint it cute?? Because of it's size it's use is limited, although it was helpful today. With a saw like this you can't trust the measurements on the fence guide. Take your own measurements at the front and back of the blade to ensure a good, straight, safe cut.

Dry fitting the cabinets to make sure all pieces are present and everything fits before glue hits wood.

Cutting out braces with a Jigsaw. Some people will take a roundover to their braces. I didn't.

Using right angle corner clamps, regular wood clamps, glue and brad nailer to begin cabinet construction.

[IMG][/IMG]
One cabinet with center carcass and one side attached. I will attach the second side with a few brad nails only for now. I do this for the sake of taking measurements when routing, and then pulling the side back off to install sonic barrier, crossover and wiring.

[IMG][/IMG]
Marking out cuts for router. I will be using a circle jig, but still like to draw the circle with a compass to get a good idea how everything will fit.

SEXY PREVIEW!!

Old 12-08-2009, 12:08 AM   #56

Dec 2009
Las Vegas

Quote:
I'm going to get a jigsaw on boxing day. I have a drill, electric paint sprayer, handheld circular saw. I will also need clamps, wire cutter/strippers, probably some other stuff. Most major cuts I'll leave to home depot. My experience working with wood include three years of shop class making simple things like clocks. My experience with speakers/wiring includes upgrading outlets, 1st year physics classes (worked with super tweeters...some serious ear bleeders). I also have my dad for tips (he worked in cutting mouldings/doors for 7 years). Still a beginner I guess, but I'm going to do A LOT of research.
You have a good base to begin a build. I would suggest a plunge router and a circle jig if you don't have one, as they will make your life infinitely easier. Also practice some soldering if you haven't done much. I'm sure you will have no problem.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:41 AM   #57

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animo View Post
But I do have one of a kind speakers, and they look nothing like yours....
Yes Animo , Vary Unique one of A kind !

BUT
YOU
INSTALLED
THE
SUBWOOFER
BACKWORDS !

-
Old 12-08-2009, 12:52 AM   #58

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Beerserker , Is that the center speaker you are showing there . Thing looks real nice ~ Turned out Excellent .
Old 12-08-2009, 01:07 AM   #59

Oct 2008

That looks awesome

That is the biggest center I have ever seen outside of a real movie theater.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:11 AM   #60

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
That looks awesome

That is the biggest center I have ever seen outside of a real movie theater.
I would think from the layout of the speakers that it would be A Horizontal center channel .My center channel is Vertical & stands 40 inches tall .
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers