Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
1 day ago
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
The Final Countdown 4K (Blu-ray)
$47.99
20 hrs ago
G.I. Joe: Retaliation 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

Tenet 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Ultraman Zero Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Wire: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$87.25
5 hrs ago
Fleabag: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Blade 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 03-25-2021, 03:43 AM   #2021
Contributor

Apr 2009
Corner Totem Rd. and Sugden Ave., Arcam Shire

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmule View Post
Curious if anyone has any experience with or thoughts on the Contour 25 Ci center channel. My 15 yr old AAD Silver Reference 3 has a short in the crossover which causes me to lose the tweeter for a bit, and it looks as if I will not be able to get at the crossover. They designed the Silver Reference back in the day to compete with the Contour line, so it will be a pretty good match to the rest of the system based on tweeter design and voicing. On paper it is impressive, and should be a step up from what I am using now, but would love some first hand reviews.
I have not tried the 25 centre but i cannot imagine it not being a perfect match to the Contour 30 which i own so the 25 being the centre channel I cannot imagine it being less impressive than the 30s as it has the same driver size. I terms of voicing I think they are tad more forward than the old contours, would not say lively or tip up but just less roll-off in the treble.

All I can say is with music the new line does have more pace than the older Contours but i don't think this would make it less appealing match to your AADs Reference.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by BigAl87; 03-25-2021 at 03:50 AM.
Thanks given by:
gotmule (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 12:20 PM   #2022
Expert Member

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
I have not tried the 25 centre but i cannot imagine it not being a perfect match to the Contour 30 which i own so the 25 being the centre channel I cannot imagine it being less impressive than the 30s as it has the same driver size. I terms of voicing I think they are tad more forward than the old contours, would not say lively or tip up but just less roll-off in the treble.

All I can say is with music the new line does have more pace than the older Contours but i don't think this would make it less appealing match to your AADs Reference.

Hope this helps.
New tweeter diaphragm was soldered in yesterday, so will see if it solved the issue with the AAD. I appreciate the insight and description of the Dyn voicing. Part me of actually hopes I still have the issue as I can picture the Contour already in my system. I will report back in a couple of days.
Thanks given by:
Twm1988 (03-25-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 05:10 PM   #2023
Expert Member

Feb 2010

So after resoldering leads to the tweeter, soldering in a new tweeter diaphragm, changing from a biamp to a bridged configuration, removing the center channel sub from the equation, I am still losing my tweeter intermittently. The only thing left is a short somewhere in a resistor in the crossover, and I donít want to rebuild that.

So, I just ordered the Contour 25 Ci. Donít know when it will come in, but am psyched to hear what this will do. Will plan on bridging it and having the REL t9i hooked up as well, so should be a damn cool center configuration. I will report back once I am up and running.
Old 03-31-2021, 07:00 PM   #2024
Contributor

Apr 2009

Quote:
So after resoldering leads to the tweeter, soldering in a new tweeter diaphragm, changing from a biamp to a bridged configuration, removing the center channel sub from the equation, I am still losing my tweeter intermittently. The only thing left is a short somewhere in a resistor in the crossover, and I donít want to rebuild that.

So, I just ordered the Contour 25 Ci. Donít know when it will come in, but am psyched to hear what this will do. Will plan on bridging it and having the REL t9i hooked up as well, so should be a damn cool center configuration. I will report back once I am up and running.
Cannot wait to read your impressions on it, they even improved the wetter since the first iteration of the current line.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:17 PM   #2025

Sep 2014

Quote:

Yes, agreed with BigAl, very interested to hear your impressions of the Contour center channel! Play some music on it running full range for a week or so before critically judging it though... that tweeter, and those 7 inchers will need a bit of working in.

I've found between 40-60hrs is good enough break-in for most changes in the drivers to take place,... though most people will recommend over 100hrs.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:25 PM   #2026
Expert Member

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twm1988 View Post
Yes, agreed with BigAl, very interested to hear your impressions of the Contour center channel! Play some music on it running full range for a week or so before critically judging it though... that tweeter, and those 7 inchers will need a bit of working in.

I've found between 40-60hrs is good enough break-in for most changes in the drivers to take place,... though most people will recommend over 100hrs.
I am a firm believer in breaking in everything, including cables. I was planning on at least 100, but my guy says a Dyn tweeter really settles in after 200. I have to reconfigure some black fabric to cover the sides of the black gloss front face, since that will be pretty distracting with a projector setup.
Old 03-31-2021, 11:45 PM   #2027

Sep 2014

Quote:
I am a firm believer in breaking in everything, including cables. I was planning on at least 100, but my guy says a Dyn tweeter really settles in after 200. I have to reconfigure some black fabric to cover the sides of the black gloss front face, since that will be pretty distracting with a projector setup.
Yes, could be more hours needed with the higher end speaker lines I guess. I think after about the 80hr mark there was no noticeable change with my Excite X14's.

I don't see you running into much issue from the gloss finish on the front of the speaker... perhaps with the top of the speaker though, you may have light from the screen reflecting on the gloss finish on top of the 25C? In the pics in your gallery, you can see reflections on the top of your old center speaker, and more on the sides of your tower speakers.
Old 04-01-2021, 12:18 AM   #2028
Expert Member

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twm1988 View Post
Yes, could be more hours needed with the higher end speaker lines I guess. I think after about the 80hr mark there was no noticeable change with my Excite X14's.

I don't see you running into much issue from the gloss finish on the front of the speaker... perhaps with the top of the speaker though, you may have light from the screen reflecting on the gloss finish on top of the 25C? In the pics in your gallery, you can see reflections on the top of your old center speaker, and more on the sides of your tower speakers.
Could be. I have black fabric I drape over the front 3 and front subs while in use, but undressed things for the camera. I will experiment for sure.
Old 04-01-2021, 12:58 AM   #2029

Sep 2014

Quote:
Could be. I have black fabric I drape over the front 3 and front subs while in use, but undressed things for the camera. I will experiment for sure.
Yeah for sure... I experimented and took over three months of moving the acoustic panels that I bought around my room to find out where the best placement was,... and I have stuff made to block out the basement windows for when it's still light outside. And everything has to be symmetrical and lined up nicely or I go a bit nuts, lol... so I totally get you wanting everything to be just right.

I think it was all worth it for the end experience I get in my setup
Thanks given by:
gotmule (04-01-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 07:14 AM   #2030
Contributor

Apr 2009

Quote:
indeed it does settle after 200, it sounded horrible on my 30s for quite a while but when everything come together wow, it sounds fabulous.
Thanks given by:
gotmule (04-01-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 02:15 PM   #2031

Apr 2010

Quote:

I'm also interested in adding one of those REL ti subs, probably the t5i, to my Polk center speaker, using REL's Speakon connection. The center channel is supposed to be full range, and adding the REL essentially turns the Polk into a full range speaker, and I can set it to LARGE in the setup. I have fooled all around with crossover settings and sub settings, but cannot get deep male voice in movies to sound right.

I'd also like to hear how you like the Contour 25 Ci with the REL connected.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers