Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Orphan Black: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Drive (Blu-ray)
$27.99
2 hrs ago
The Rocketeer (Blu-ray)
$8.99
13 hrs ago
The Hobbit: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$73.43
12 hrs ago
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99
1 day ago
Godzilla vs. Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

City Slickers II: The Legend of Curly's Gold (Blu-ray)
$19.99
13 hrs ago
The Hand (Blu-ray)
$24.99
13 hrs ago
Dragonheart: 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Groove Tube (Blu-ray)
$14.99
1 day ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 03-12-2010, 02:28 PM   #21
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2007
USA

cool. I bet these Dynaudios sound as good as they look.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:38 PM   #22
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrob View Post
cool. I bet these Dynaudios sound as good as they look.
Irrob, the Focus 140s and Excite X16s are the fronts I am looking at, yes they are bookshelfs, but Rhett can tell you in a recent magazine, they compared the X12 to other floorstanders like B&W and so forth and the X12 came away with VERY high praise... I am sure Rhett can fill you in.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:48 PM   #23
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
555 Naim Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
Irrob, the Focus 140s and Excite X16s are the fronts I am looking at, yes they are bookshelfs, but Rhett can tell you in a recent magazine, they compared the X12 to other floorstanders like B&W and so forth and the X12 came away with VERY high praise... I am sure Rhett can fill you in.
In the latest Stereophile issue, the Excite X12 was compared with:

Amphion Helium2($1,200)-Monitor
Monitor Audio RS6 Silver($1,200)-Floor Stander
Epos M16i($1,995)-Floor stander

Needless to say the x12s were either superior or their equal in sonics.

Here is a of the X12s review by the Good Sound:

http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/d...excite_x12.htm
Old 03-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #24

Jan 2010
Tulsa, OK

Although I've never heard the home Dyn Audio speakers, I can tell you that the Dyn Audio system 360 setup I have in my truck is the best sounding mobile speakers I've heard. In fact I've owned them for them for 11 years but, the last couple of years is when they have started sounding their best!!
Old 03-13-2010, 06:03 PM   #25

Dec 2007
The Netherlands
Thumbs up

As promised.

I heard the sub 500 today, and i must say it is a thing of beauty!

it is really fast and sounds so wonderfull with the 140s!
for music it is the best i have heard. I compared it to REL, Klipsch en B&W. I olso heard a Velodyne but that was some time ago.

For movies this thing is very good, it's powerfull but if you want massive output i think you need to look somewhere els. Or if money and space is not a problem i'd say buy more then one.

I put on Transformers 2 and i was shocked of the information in the botom! Never knew what i was missing before. (i have a JBL sub now) But not for long! My sub500 will be deliverd next week! Can't wait!
Old 03-14-2010, 04:28 PM   #26
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
555 Naim Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getus View Post
As promised.

I heard the sub 500 today, and i must say it is a thing of beauty!

it is really fast and sounds so wonderfull with the 140s!
for music it is the best i have heard. I compared it to REL, Klipsch en B&W. I olso heard a Velodyne but that was some time ago.

For movies this thing is very good, it's powerfull but if you want massive output i think you need to look somewhere els. Or if money and space is not a problem i'd say buy more then one.

I put on Transformers 2 and i was shocked of the information in the botom! Never knew what i was missing before. (i have a JBL sub now) But not for long! My sub500 will be deliverd next week! Can't wait!
Thanks for the Insight Getus. Now you really peaked my curiousity regarding Dynaudio subs. If anything, they should sound pretty much like their speaker counterparts- tight, textured and natural bass and not exaggerated and bloated Congrats and please post pictures of your new acquisition.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:46 PM   #27

Dec 2007
The Netherlands
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rded View Post
If anything, they should sound pretty much like their speaker counterparts- tight, textured and natural bass and not exaggerated and bloated Congrats and please post pictures of your new acquisition.
That is exactly how i feel about the sub! And i will post some pictures once i have "her" in my possession.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:53 PM   #28

Oct 2009
couple hours from the moonshine capitol of the world

I'm glad to see this thread still alive. Thanks for that review of the Excites, rded. I totally agree with the reviewer, they are great speakers but for the price, I would rather spend a just a little more and go for the Focus series.

I've seen so many deals come and go the last few months on the 140s, 220s, and a few from the Contour line. I just haven't had the funds to jump on any of them. That's okay, they'll be a pair waiting for me when I'm ready. A-gon is your friend.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:15 PM   #29
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
555 Naim Street

Quote:
That is exactly how i feel about the sub! And i will post some pictures once i have "her" in my possession.
Hey Getus,

How about some photos and perhaps a brief review of the Sub 500?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamebred View Post
I'm glad to see this thread still alive. Thanks for that review of the Excites, rded. I totally agree with the reviewer, they are great speakers but for the price, I would rather spend a just a little more and go for the Focus series.

I've seen so many deals come and go the last few months on the 140s, 220s, and a few from the Contour line. I just haven't had the funds to jump on any of them. That's okay, they'll be a pair waiting for me when I'm ready. A-gon is your friend.
Right! I love my focus 110s so that I could not longer use them as surrounds. I paired them with the Roth Music Cocoon tube ipod dock for the living room. The combo is pretty good, although at 13 watts x 2, the bass can get a little muddy and highs are a bit screetchy at loud levels. I am hoping a Fatman Carbon mk 2 will be available at the price I want in the near future
Old 03-22-2010, 12:47 PM   #30

Dec 2007
The Netherlands

Quote:
Hey Getus,

How about some photos and perhaps a brief review of the Sub 500?

I can't because the shipment is delayed. I hope it will arrive tomorrow
Old 03-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #31
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
555 Naim Street

Quote:
I can't because the shipment is delayed. I hope it will arrive tomorrow
Cool! We are anxiously waiting to see the sub.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:45 PM   #32
Super Moderator

Nov 2007

Quote:
In the latest Stereophile issue, the Excite X12 was compared with:

Amphion Helium2($1,200)-Monitor
Monitor Audio RS6 Silver($1,200)-Floor Stander
Epos M16i($1,995)-Floor stander

Needless to say the x12s were either superior or their equal in sonics.

Here is a of the X12s review by the Good Sound:

http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/d...excite_x12.htm
Just made available on the internet.

Dynaudio Excite X12 loudspeaker

Quote:
Comparisons
I compared the Dynaudio Excite X12 ($1200) with the Amphion Helium2 ($1200), the Monitor Audio RS6 Silver ($1200), and the Epos M16i ($1995). (All prices per pair.)

The Amphion Helium2's midrange was very close to the Excite X12's, if a touch less silky. The highs were a little less detailed, delicate, and airy, but low-level dynamics were equally lifelike and linear. The bass was almost as clean as the Dynaudio's, but the X12 had much better high-level dynamics, despite the fact that the Amphion has the slightly larger cabinet.

The floorstanding Monitor Audio RS6 Silver's midrange was nearly identical to the Dynaudio X12's in timbre and detail, and its highs were more extended but not as delicate. However, the RS6 Silver's bass extension and high-level dynamic slam were far superior to the X12's.

The Epos M16i, another floorstander, had a gorgeous, silky midrange and the most detail and ambience retrieval of all four speakers. Its highs were as extended as the Dynaudio's, but the X12 sounded a bit silkier. The Epos's bass extension and high-level dynamics were also a little more deep and "bloomy" than the Dynaudio's.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:01 PM   #33
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonR View Post

I was gonna post that too... You missed the part at the end though that really impresses...
Quote:
Wrapping up
I frequently receive e-mails from readers who ask me to weigh the tradeoffs of the various speakers I've reviewed. With the Dynaudio Excite X12, there are no tradeoffs. It sets a high standard of excellence in every meaningful sonic parameter, whether in absolute terms or with respect to its price and size. Having heard so many excellent speakers in recent years, I thought it would be hard to find an affordable bookshelf model that would stand out from the pack. I was wrong. The Dynaudio Excite X12 has become my new benchmark for loudspeakers costing under $2000/pair.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:37 PM   #34
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
555 Naim Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonR View Post

Thanks for posting the link to the review Jason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
I was gonna post that too... You missed the part at the end though that really impresses...
So what are you waiting for Steve? Get your Dyns
Old 03-25-2010, 02:01 PM   #35
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:
Thanks for posting the link to the review Jason.

So what are you waiting for Steve? Get your Dyns
Im waiting for $$$$$$, You know I am remodeling a bathroom this weekend... and also, I need to scope out a NAD receiver(747) and then whatever I get the best deal on... but I don't have the $3k I need either.

due time, due time.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:41 PM   #36

Dec 2007
The Netherlands

Ok i talked to my Dynaudio dealer today. About the sub500.

This is what the converstation was about:

The sub500 as we know it can not be sold in the EU anymore. This is because the amp of the sub500 consumes 1.5watt in standby. Due to EU standards form March 2010 every electronic device that has a standby mode must not consume more than 1 watt in standby.

I knew this before i demoed the sub. Because there was one new on stock. And they made a reservation for me. But what did i hear today. The sub that was for me was sold to somebody els.

Because this is the fault of Dynaudio themselfs and not my dealer, Dynaudio is going to make one last sub500 for me!!

So i get one that is personally made for me! The only down side is, that i have to wait till the end of April.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:52 PM   #37
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:

The sub500 as we know it can not be sold in the EU anymore. This is because the amp of the sub500 consumes 1.5watt in standby. Due to EU standards form March 2010 every electronic device that has a standby mode must not consume more than 1 watt in standby.

I knew this before i demoed the sub. Because there was one new on stock. And they made a reservation for me. But what did i hear today. The sub that was for me was sold to somebody els.

Because this is the fault of Dynaudio themselfs and not my dealer, Dynaudio is going to make one last sub500 for me!!

So i get one that is personally made for me! The only down side is, that i have to wait till the end of April.
Can you get it autographed also? Then it is really one of a kind.....
Old 03-26-2010, 01:10 AM   #38
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
555 Naim Street

Quote:

So i get one that is personally made for me! The only down side is, that i have to wait till the end of April
Now that's what I call customer service! Like Callas01 stated, maybe you can ask Wilfried Ehrenholz CEO of Dyn sign it
Old 03-30-2010, 10:06 AM   #39

Dec 2007
The Netherlands

I asked my dealer and Dynaudio directly if they can sign my sub.

But no response so far

I think it is really cool that they even make one for me. Can't wait for it to arrive. But it is still several weeks away...
Old 04-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #40

Dec 2007
The Netherlands
Thumbs up

Here is a up-date on the status of the sub500:

It will be send to my dealer on the 25th of April.
So in week 17 it will be in my possession

I olso added a Rotel 1575 amp to the mix
So now a have the Rotel 1572 and 1575 so that makes 7 channels of power!!

My question to all you Dynaudio lovers is:

Wich do you think is better the Focus 220MkII, the Focus 360 or the Contour s3.4?

I have the Focus 140's as surround and the Focus c200 as center.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers