Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$41.24
4 hrs ago
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
7 hrs ago
The Father (Blu-ray)
$21.99
2 hrs ago
Smile (Blu-ray)
$23.49
8 hrs ago
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49
8 hrs ago
Dead & Buried 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.99
8 hrs ago
Saving Silverman (Blu-ray)
$13.29
5 hrs ago
Godzilla vs. Kong / Godzilla: King of the Monsters / Kong: Skull Island (Blu-ray)
$39.99
20 hrs ago
Baise-moi (Blu-ray)
$19.99
7 hrs ago
Eyes of a Stranger (Blu-ray)
$24.99
2 hrs ago
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 05-29-2008, 09:53 PM   #41

Jan 2006

Guys, I have a question.

I bought speaker wire and speakers.

I need to cut away the plastic of the wire so I can put in the the speaker terminals. The receiver terminals are banana plug, I havent checked to speaker terminals so dont know what terminals they are.

Anyway, how many centimeters/inches of the surrounding plastic must I cut away from the speaker wire's?
Old 06-27-2008, 04:43 PM   #42

May 2008
Default Front Floor or Bookshelf

Would it be preferable to use floor speakers, with a larger frequency range on the bass end, as the front speakers with bookshelf as rear? Or would it be better to have 4 identical bookshelf speakers with the same range?
Old 06-27-2008, 05:03 PM   #43

Jan 2008
Juuuuuuuust A Bit Outside....

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas1824 View Post
Would it be preferable to use floor speakers, with a larger frequency range on the bass end, as the front speakers with bookshelf as rear? Or would it be better to have 4 identical bookshelf speakers with the same range?
Floorstanders for fronts if you can swing it.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:04 PM   #44

Jan 2008
Juuuuuuuust A Bit Outside....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainman View Post
Guys, I have a question.

I bought speaker wire and speakers.

I need to cut away the plastic of the wire so I can put in the the speaker terminals. The receiver terminals are banana plug, I havent checked to speaker terminals so dont know what terminals they are.

Anyway, how many centimeters/inches of the surrounding plastic must I cut away from the speaker wire's?
1/2 inch or so.....
Old 06-27-2008, 07:43 PM   #45

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Man View Post
Floorstanders for fronts if you can swing it.
heck if you have the space floorstanders for all of the speakers.

interesting enough, i recommend 'some' people to go with bookshelves all around if ever its 1. in the budget, 2. space permits so. 3. if they are using it also for hi def material (primarily SACD or dvd-audio)...since the floorstanders will not 'use' its lower frequencies since you would re-direct that to the sub via crossover settings...
Old 06-27-2008, 08:16 PM   #46

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomari View Post
heck if you have the space floorstanders for all of the speakers.

interesting enough, i recommend 'some' people to go with bookshelves all around if ever its 1. in the budget, 2. space permits so. 3. if they are using it also for hi def material (primarily SACD or dvd-audio)...since the floorstanders will not 'use' its lower frequencies since you would re-direct that to the sub via crossover settings...
I guess what I'm wondering is, since I have a 5.1 system with a subwoofer, then isn't the additional bass ability from the floorstander superfluous? Would the sound be better if front, rear, and center had similar frequency ranges?
Old 06-27-2008, 08:53 PM   #47
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2007
PDX

The more clean bass you can get from your floorstanders, the better a sub will fit seamlessly into the system, especially where music is concerned.

One common potential fault with sub / satellite setups is to actually have an audible drop or dead spot in midrange output. Basically the area above a sub's comfort zone but below the drop off range from the sub. This is more common with smaller satellites than larger bookshelf or stand mounters. Plus, with 2 channel music, having tower speakers up front sound much better.

If space is a consideration and you can't utilize towers up front, try getting a decent sized bookshelf speaker for the fronts and surrounds. You can't really fool physics when it comes to sound quality. A really good standmounted budget speaker that gets overlooked is Monitor Audio's BR2. It works incredibly well for both music and movie applications, and it sounds like it costs a lot more than it does.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:21 AM   #48

Nov 2007

as mentioned by kingofgrills, its the capacity that your speaker drivers can give you, the bigger the better they say back then, but, i tend to disagree considering how some of the speakers are built nowadays. heck id even say that some 10inc subwoofers can actually perform significantly 'cleaner' than a 12inch...

anyhow, the best way to compare it is having a great driver from a bookshelf compared to a satellite speaker. the sound is definitely different considering whats 'driving' it...
Old 07-06-2008, 10:54 PM   #49
Expert Member

Jul 2007
Salt Lake City, Utah

This question is a little off-topic, but... what happens if you have a 7.1 speaker set-up and you listen to a 5.1 audio source? Will the extra 2 speakers be silent?

Just curious.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:58 PM   #50
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

depends on your receiver (listening modes). Some can matrix into 7.1, or just leave the back channels silent.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:21 PM   #51
Expert Member

Jul 2007
Salt Lake City, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackinhedz View Post
depends on your receiver (listening modes). Some can matrix into 7.1, or just leave the back channels silent.
So the back channels would be silent? Hmmm... I have an Onkyo 805. Right now I have a great 5.1 set-up, but I'm considering upgrading to 7.1. Do you have any idea what an Onkyo 805 can do?

Thanks, by the way.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:23 PM   #52
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

the 805 can matrix 5.1 audio into 7.1 so all the speakers will be in use.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:07 PM   #53

Nov 2007

crackinheadz,

heres another article to post here for reference, regarding lobing issues...

http://www.soundstage.com/gettingtec...ical200312.htm

you may want to include this in your article in your op
Old 07-24-2008, 01:49 PM   #54

Mar 2008
N.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomari View Post
crackinheadz,

heres another article to post here for reference, regarding lobing issues...

http://www.soundstage.com/gettingtec...ical200312.htm

you may want to include this in your article in your op
Very interesting stuff thanks for the finds Crackin and Jomari!
Old 08-10-2008, 02:51 PM   #55
Banned

Aug 2008

It occurs to me that of all the equipment that goes into making sound & music, speakers are the most subjective. I see a lot of posts asking “are these good speakers?” That’s a question that only the individual listener can decide.

The other part of the chain that is not always taken into account is the recording itself. What was the environment? What kind of mic was used, where was it placed? What about the mixing, effects, engineering…so many factors can make or break a recording.

Yes, good electronics and cables make a difference in quality, but nothing more so than speakers. I would advise anyone making a serious venture first go to a high end shop. Listen to what a difference high quality can make. When it comes time to make a purchase, see if a shop will allow you to take home a floor demo model for an in home demo. The speakers will probably already be broken in (very important) and you can get a real world idea how they will sound with your equipment and in your room. If not, try to listen to a lot of different speakers, from as many manufacturers as possible. A good return policy is important too. It’s always a good idea to get some opinions from other people, but you should not allow anyone to make the decision for you. Trust your own ears, and your wallet.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:42 PM   #56

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by cravnsn View Post
It occurs to me that of all the equipment that goes into making sound & music, speakers are the most subjective. I see a lot of posts asking “are these good speakers?” That’s a question that only the individual listener can decide.

The other part of the chain that is not always taken into account is the recording itself. What was the environment? What kind of mic was used, where was it placed? What about the mixing, effects, engineering…so many factors can make or break a recording.

Yes, good electronics and cables make a difference in quality, but nothing more so than speakers. I would advise anyone making a serious venture first go to a high end shop. Listen to what a difference high quality can make. When it comes time to make a purchase, see if a shop will allow you to take home a floor demo model for an in home demo. The speakers will probably already be broken in (very important) and you can get a real world idea how they will sound with your equipment and in your room. If not, try to listen to a lot of different speakers, from as many manufacturers as possible. A good return policy is important too. It’s always a good idea to get some opinions from other people, but you should not allow anyone to make the decision for you. Trust your own ears, and your wallet.
+ 10000
Old 08-25-2008, 04:09 PM   #57

Nov 2007

great point cravnmsn, but id also want to indicate one aspect of the home theater that a LOT of people disregard.

the acoustic treatments

this is a definitive topic, and to be quite honest, a very large and very subjective matter.

for a superb system to function properly, we also have to consider how well the room environment interacts with the speakers.
is the room
lively?
dead?
has too many standing waves?
deadspots?

in my opinion, my priorities when building a HT room (dedicated or not)
- speakers
- reciever/pre/pro
- acoustics
- power filtration
- source - media player
- display unit

these are my priorities when building a good HT room.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:02 PM   #58

Aug 2008
Farmington, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackinhedz View Post
rich, I think you're trying to read way too much into it.

Its a basic explanation...not precise, and maybe not to your liking or preference.

but your oppinion is appreciated.
have you ever bought Energy brand speakers? What is your opinion of The Energy Take Classic setup?
Old 09-14-2008, 09:32 PM   #59

Feb 2008

i just got a energy take classic system paired with an onkyo 605, and to me it sounds great, i have a small living room, and this system makes my house shake, im sure my neighbors arent too happy.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:56 AM   #60

Oct 2008
Trinidad,Caribbean

great read!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers