Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Godzilla vs. Kong / Godzilla: King of the Monsters / Kong: Skull Island (Blu-ray)
$39.99
8 hrs ago
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

Working Girls (Blu-ray)
$29.49
8 hrs ago
Voyagers 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.99
7 hrs ago
The Web (Blu-ray)
$16.59
8 hrs ago
Do the Right Thing 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99
14 hrs ago
10 Cloverfield Lane 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Thunderbolt (Blu-ray)
$16.59
8 hrs ago
Nobody 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.99

Clay Pigeons (Blu-ray)
$16.59
7 hrs ago
Indiana Jones 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$42.99
5 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 04-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #41
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2008
Milwaukee, WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga12r View Post
How are you liking the BP2X's. I have been thinking of upgrading my surrounds to those.
I really like them- at first I was disappointed as I was used to direct-radiating but as I started listening more and getting used to them, they are really growing on me. They diffuse the rear so it's just "behind you" rather than "right there". I need to tweak them some more still.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:31 PM   #42
Special Member

Feb 2008
Chicago

Big Daddy, i think you need to lock this thread. I'm getting a bad case of upgraditis reading through this!

Aramis- Those BP6's look beautiful in your gallery! Seems like you got a killer price on them too! How would you compare the sound you're getting from the Def Tech's vs the Monitors you were running? I would imagine it'd be night and day... Anyways, once i get moved into my new house (5/1) i'm going to try to convince the fiance to let me buy another surround sound setup! Good luck to me, haha. Anyways, i'd definately be looking at Def Tech should it fly... Congrats on the new fronts/center, they look awesome!
Old 04-05-2009, 05:40 PM   #43
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2008
Milwaukee, WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS3+HDDVD OWNER View Post
Big Daddy, i think you need to lock this thread. I'm getting a bad case of upgraditis reading through this!

Aramis- Those BP6's look beautiful in your gallery! Seems like you got a killer price on them too! How would you compare the sound you're getting from the Def Tech's vs the Monitors you were running? I would imagine it'd be night and day... Anyways, once i get moved into my new house (5/1) i'm going to try to convince the fiance to let me buy another surround sound setup! Good luck to me, haha. Anyways, i'd definately be looking at Def Tech should it fly... Congrats on the new fronts/center, they look awesome!
Thanks. With the 60's, I was running the 605, vs. the BP6's running the 805, so some differences might account for that. However, I have yet to turn it up and feel like it was "too loud". I find myself and my family turning it up more than we used to. Not in a bad way- they are very sensitive speakers. But I mean that they sound better louder than the 60's did. I think this is due to their construction and the great crossovers that Def Tech uses. I also think the headroom of the 805 helps with that as well. Stat-wise, the 60's had 200 watt RMS and the BP6b's have 175, so on paper that shouldn't be the case, but it is in my opinion.

Additionally, going from a direct speaker to a bipolar speaker is a big difference. Before, some of my off-axis seating really got left in the cold, and now sonically there's really not a bad seat in the house. I personally love them and dunno that I'll ever go away from a bipolar setup again. They're not for everyone though so you should really listen to them extensively. The first time I listened though I ended up calling my buddy because I was so excited about them.

The socks on the BP's are not my favorite feature- hopefully they hold up ok with kids and a wife. We'll see as time goes by. They look great though, especially with our new darker furniture. I guess it's good that my wife is going through a remodelling phase.

*edit* LOL, you watch- everyone's going to go from using the Monitors to using DT's. I'm a trend-setter.

Last edited by aramis109; 04-05-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:12 PM   #44
Special Member

Feb 2008
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis109 View Post
Thanks. With the 60's, I was running the 605, vs. the BP6's running the 805, so some differences might account for that. However, I have yet to turn it up and feel like it was "too loud". I find myself and my family turning it up more than we used to. Not in a bad way- they are very sensitive speakers. But I mean that they sound better louder than the 60's did. I think this is due to their construction and the great crossovers that Def Tech uses. I also think the headroom of the 805 helps with that as well. Stat-wise, the 60's had 200 watt RMS and the BP6b's have 175, so on paper that shouldn't be the case, but it is in my opinion.

Additionally, going from a direct speaker to a bipolar speaker is a big difference. Before, some of my off-axis seating really got left in the cold, and now sonically there's really not a bad seat in the house. I personally love them and dunno that I'll ever go away from a bipolar setup again. They're not for everyone though so you should really listen to them extensively. The first time I listened though I ended up calling my buddy because I was so excited about them.

The socks on the BP's are not my favorite feature- hopefully they hold up ok with kids and a wife. We'll see as time goes by. They look great though, especially with our new darker furniture. I guess it's good that my wife is going through a remodelling phase.

*edit* LOL, you watch- everyone's going to go from using the Monitors to using DT's. I'm a trend-setter.
I've heard alot of people mention that. Being that i'll be moving into my new home May 1, i'll obviously need a surround sound system for the living room as well as the basement. Or at least, that's my argument

So my plan was moving my current setup into my new living room, where me and my fiance will casually watch movies/news/etc. And my basement has already been declared "Man-land", will be where the home theater gets serious! Bought a 50" Samsung plasma for it, now just thinking i could go with a Yamaha 663, and 5.1 Def Tech setup for somewhere in the $2k range...ok maybe $2.5K

I love my Monitors, dont get me wrong. But the complete lack of bass from them is starting to get to me I always hear people rave about Def Tech's speakers, so i think it's time to demo them and form an opinion for myself. I'll be giving my local dealer a call on Tuesday
Old 04-05-2009, 09:12 PM   #45
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay, Florida

Do you have pictures of where your 50's are placed? Or could you explain how far away they are from the back and side walls and from each other?
Old 04-06-2009, 04:47 PM   #46
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2008
Milwaukee, WI

Quote:
I've heard alot of people mention that. Being that i'll be moving into my new home May 1, i'll obviously need a surround sound system for the living room as well as the basement. Or at least, that's my argument

So my plan was moving my current setup into my new living room, where me and my fiance will casually watch movies/news/etc. And my basement has already been declared "Man-land", will be where the home theater gets serious! Bought a 50" Samsung plasma for it, now just thinking i could go with a Yamaha 663, and 5.1 Def Tech setup for somewhere in the $2k range...ok maybe $2.5K

I love my Monitors, dont get me wrong. But the complete lack of bass from them is starting to get to me I always hear people rave about Def Tech's speakers, so i think it's time to demo them and form an opinion for myself. I'll be giving my local dealer a call on Tuesday
You should still get some bass from the Polk Monitor line. That actually was one thing that I wasn't unhappy about. I actually liked the Monitor line, especially for what they are, but for me there was no other way to go but Def Tech after I heard them. I'm sure there are better speakers out there, but when I personally compared them to the Monitor Audio line in the same listening environment, they sounded better to me, and were 1/2 the price. However, like all things, "better" is subjective, so make sure you listen to them yourself.

I also came out spending just over $1000 on the DT setup. This isn't counting the money that I got from selling my Polk Monitor setup. If you hunt for deals and don't mind open box, 6ave.com and ebay are good places to look. I purchased my fronts at a local HT shop- the rest was online.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:12 PM   #47
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
There is absolutely no cure for this disease. I can get you a free membership to Audio/Video Addicts Anonymous (AVAA).
Old 04-06-2009, 11:42 PM   #48
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Dagobah

After seeing Aramis be so happy with the bp6b I'm wondering if I should go with the bpb line and get the 6b or 8b, or would I be better of going with something like the 7006 that has built in subs and amp? I have a sub already but though if I went with the built in subs and amp I could use all the subs and get better bass response, especially in movies like Transformers that have alot of bass encoded to the L/R speakers.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:47 AM   #49
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
There is absolutely no cure for this disease. I can get you a free membership to Audio/Video Addicts Anonymous (AVAA).
Can I make a shirt request?
Old 04-07-2009, 12:54 AM   #50
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver_King View Post
Can I make a shirt request?
We give free shirts to senior citizens. I suppose you qualify.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:13 AM   #51

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
We give free shirts to senior citizens. I suppose you qualify.
Hey I'm A member & I didn't get A shirt !
Old 04-07-2009, 01:27 AM   #52
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2008
Milwaukee, WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARSCREAM View Post
After seeing Aramis be so happy with the bp6b I'm wondering if I should go with the bpb line and get the 6b or 8b, or would I be better of going with something like the 7006 that has built in subs and amp? I have a sub already but though if I went with the built in subs and amp I could use all the subs and get better bass response, especially in movies like Transformers that have alot of bass encoded to the L/R speakers.
I'd love the supertowers, but the price goes up quite a bit and honestly, I'm not sure I personally need them. As-is, I feel the 6b's fill the room nicely. If I could afford them I'd still buy them, (and still may in the future) but I'd definitely recommend to do some extensive listening first.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:22 AM   #53

Jan 2009

Quote:
Just in the past 4 months or so I have picked up 8bs and 7006's. I liked the 8bs so much in a stereo setup I felt like I wanted a pair for my home theater also. I was lucky to pick up the 7006s used for the price of 8bs new (approximately) so I got them instead. I don't regret the purchase, but I don't think I needed the extra bass that much (small room). I have to turn them down pretty low or the bass gets pretty out of hand. They do sound great though, and I hope someday I'll have a bigger room and these speakers will be ones that I'll be able to enjoy for a long time to come even if the room does grow.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:36 AM   #54
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis109 View Post
I'd love the supertowers, but the price goes up quite a bit and honestly, I'm not sure I personally need them. As-is, I feel the 6b's fill the room nicely. If I could afford them I'd still buy them, (and still may in the future) but I'd definitely recommend to do some extensive listening first.
If you are going to make decisions based on "need", then you really don't need any of this HT nonsense. However, if you your decisions are based on the UPGRADITIS virus in you, then you need the best.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:49 PM   #55
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2008
Milwaukee, WI

Quote:
If you are going to make decisions based on "need", then you really don't need any of this HT nonsense. However, if you your decisions are based on the UPGRADITIS virus in you, then you need the best.
LOL, so true.

But seriously, I took a hard look at how loud I enjoy watching movies, and what that required of my system. If I could've found a better deal on some of those ST's, I would've grabbed them, to be sure. I may even still upgrade to them someday- I've created the path to doing so. However, this is able to fill my needs while meeting the requirements the SO has set down, while not breaking the budget.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:16 PM   #56
Power Member

May 2008
St. Catharines ONT

Quote:
I think iam going to start a AVAA here in ST. Catharines ONT.
Remember the first step of recovery is that you can admit you have the Audio,Video Upgraditis diseases

Me and Dolby can put it on.Were going to need a speaker at the end of the month.
BigDaddy are you free

Just Remember its a one day at a time Program.
Ive Been clean 3 days.I Relapsed and bought more theater signs for the living room.

Shoot i have one Day clean.
Yesterday bought black curtains for the doorway to make it look more like a theater.Man Iam Sick.

Last edited by ozzman; 04-07-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:54 AM   #57
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Dagobah

Anybody know what the main differences are between the bp2000 and the bp2002TL? Also, are these speakers alot older?
Old 04-11-2009, 04:07 AM   #58
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Anybody know what the main differences are between the bp2000 and the bp2002TL? Also, are these speakers alot older?
The BP 2000's are equivalent to BP 7000's of today. I believe the original price was around $3,500 a pair. They had 15" built-in subs with 300 watt built-in amplifiers. The TL models came later. I believe they had a 500 watt amp. You probaly cannot hear much of a difference between them. If the speakers are in good shape and the price is reasonable, jump on them.

Last edited by Big Daddy; 08-16-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:37 AM   #59
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Dagobah

D*mn, well I had my system all picked out and pieced together until I didn't get the bp2000's or the bp2002tl's. Also missed out on a CLR 2500.
I did however buy 4 bp2x for the side and rear surrounds.
Now I just need to find a good priced CLR 2500 and either a pair of bp2002tl's or bp7002's and I'll be set.

Last edited by STARSCREAM; 04-13-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:53 PM   #60
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2008
Milwaukee, WI

Quote:
D*mn, well I had my system all picked out and pieced together until I didn't get the bp2000's or the bp2002tl's. Also missed out on a CLR 2005.
I did however buy 4 bp2x for the side and rear surrounds.
Now I just need to find a good priced CLR 2005 and either a pair of bp2002tl's or bp7002's and I'll be set.
Do you mean the CLR 2500? Yeah, only go with that if you're getting the big boys. That's going to be a lot of sound!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers