Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Godzilla vs. Kong / Godzilla: King of the Monsters / Kong: Skull Island (Blu-ray)
$39.99
8 hrs ago
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

Working Girls (Blu-ray)
$29.49
8 hrs ago
Voyagers 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.99
7 hrs ago
The Web (Blu-ray)
$16.59
8 hrs ago
Do the Right Thing 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99
14 hrs ago
10 Cloverfield Lane 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Thunderbolt (Blu-ray)
$16.59
8 hrs ago
Nobody 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.99

Clay Pigeons (Blu-ray)
$16.59
7 hrs ago
Indiana Jones 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$42.99
5 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 07-24-2009, 04:05 PM   #41

Nov 2008
VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetofSound View Post
Hey, I'm looking to upgrade my speakers and from what I've heard, definitely want to go with PSB. My max is $1500. Any suggestions??
Id get:

Yamaha 665 = $500
PSB Alpha B1 x 2 = $434
PSB Alpha C1 = $174
Acoustic Audio HD Sub 10 = $168

Total = $1276

GREAT system with $224 to spare!!
Old 07-24-2009, 06:59 PM   #42

Mar 2008
Toronto, ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSB_Paradigm_HSU View Post
I run all 5 speakers with the emotiva. Around 225 wpc with 5 channels driven is plenty I think.

I personally dont have any experience with those receivers but at around $1300 for the RXV 1900, I'd go with the yamaha 665 and emotiva. Although I do see that Emotiva raised theyre prices, but still I'd go that route.

Or a yamaha 665 with the new Images should be prettttttyyy good as well though
The problem with going the Emotiva route (which I would love to do) is that I live in Canada and shipping, duty & taxes will increase the price a lot.

I am thinking that I am going to wait for the new Images and then compare them at the store, side by side with the Imagine's. If there isn't a crazy amount of difference then I'd probably go with the Images, then I can spend a nice amount on a sub (I really want the SVS SPB 13 Ultra), even though its around $2000 I think it would be a solid investment. And since SVS has a dealer in Toronto that would be great cause I could pick it up.

I would still probably want a more powerful amp then the 665, probably the 1900 or the 3800, which is selling for the same price as the 1900 nowadays. Well, I will have to wait till September when the shop gets the new Images.

Thanks for the help HSU

Last edited by FilmFiend; 07-24-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:18 AM   #43

Aug 2009
Atlanta, GA
Default Here is my modest Imagine system

-PSB Imagine System (Speakers: T front, C center, S surround)
-Definitive Technology Supercube II (Subwoofer)
-Pioneer Elite SC-05 (Receiver)
-Pioneer Elite Pro-111fd (TV)
-Tivo HD
-40GB PS3
-& can't forget the Harmong ONE

Last edited by okbarshabazz; 08-14-2009 at 05:44 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #44

Dec 2008
Default Concern about the impedance

I have the (PSB T8 and Synchrony Center C one) speakers which are 4 ohms. The AV receiver I have is Pioneer SC07 which are 8 ohms. I am wondering would this combination overheat the receiver. As Pioneer is not rated for 4 ohms. The rear of the receiver has a label, CAUTION: SPEAKER IMPEDANCE 6 Ohms -16 Ohms. I hope the SC07 can handle it. Any thoughts?
Old 08-26-2009, 04:27 PM   #45

Aug 2009
Atlanta, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurayas11 View Post
I have the (PSB T8 and Synchrony Center C one) speakers which are 4 ohms. The AV receiver I have is Pioneer SC07 which are 8 ohms. I am wondering would this combination overheat the receiver. As Pioneer is not rated for 4 ohms. The rear of the receiver has a label, CAUTION: SPEAKER IMPEDANCE 6 Ohms -16 Ohms. I hope the SC07 can handle it. Any thoughts?
My speakers are 4 ohms and I power them with an SC-05 just fine. EVERYONE will tell you that [the SC-07] can't handle 4 ohms, but from personal experience I can tell you that the sound is powerful, and even at high volumes I have yet to hear any strain on my receiver... a writer for Ultimate AV magazine reviewed the receiver with 4-ohm M&K speakers and said the same thing.

Another important thing to remember is that PSB's are efficient, although rated @ 4 ohms, they don't have impedance dips nearly as badly as other speakers.

Of course your use can vary; if you listen at extremely high volumes in a gigantic room, separates are going to be the better way to go (especially over time), but that is true of ALL AV receivers - the SC-07 is a fine one though. hope that helps a little.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:21 PM   #46

Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by okbarshabazz View Post
My speakers are 4 ohms and I power them with an SC-05 just fine. .........the SC-07 is a fine one though. hope that helps a little.
Thanks for your input. That is a relief I never had a problem with the Elite series. Having read about the impedance I got worried. Now let me go and listen to some good music and relax.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #47
Special Member

Nov 2008
Edmonton, AB
Post PSB image S50 surround

I won bid on Ebay.com
it's was retail priced $799. new the boxes. This now price was $389

But color is WHITE white cabinet and white grill. I don't mind color.

'

I can't waiting listen this PSB image surround S50!
Old 08-27-2009, 07:46 PM   #48
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opips2 View Post
I won bid on Ebay.com
it's was retail priced $799. new the boxes. This now price was $389

But color is WHITE white cabinet and white grill. I don't mind color.

'

I can't waiting listen this PSB image surround S50!
on PSB Image S-50 surround speakers.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:51 PM   #49
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Receivers sometimes overheat when they are over extended with 4 ohm speakers at high volumes. The damage will be done in the long-run. Just because everything sounds fine does not mean anything. This is exactly the same with subwoofers. When drivers are installed in inappropriate boxes with the wrong port tuning, they fail gradually.

Read Impedance & Sensitivity of a Speaker. There is a section on parallel and series speakers that will help you understand how you can increase or decrease the impedance load.

Some people connect resistors to their speakers to increase its load. You can buy resistors from Radio Shack or online from Parts Express or Ebay. You need a 4 ohm resistor of sufficient power and you have to connect it to your 4 ohm speaker in SERIES. The net result is 8 ohm. I am not necessarily recommending that you do this, but I want you to be aware of it.

A better alternative is to use your receiver as a pre/pro and buy an amplifier (either new or used) that can handle 4 ohm speakers.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:17 PM   #50
Special Member

Nov 2008
Edmonton, AB
I agree with Big Daddy is RIGHT!

Receiver has jump to load impedance 4 ohms on speakers. it's very cheat switched. your speaker are 8 ohms and 4 ohms on the receiver can handle but cause overheat or decrease life.

buy separates an amplifier can handle on speaker 4 ohms impedance.

or

replace those speakers 8 ohms on receiver's long life.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:04 AM   #51
Special Member

Nov 2008
Edmonton, AB
Red face

I want to know about PSB image surround S-50.

- Should has in the surround bi-wire?
- Is ready have in the surround for mount wall ?
Old 08-28-2009, 12:18 AM   #52
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
I want to know about PSB image surround S-50.

- Should has in the surround bi-wire?
- Is ready have in the surround for mount wall ?
The PSB surround speakers don't have the option for bi-wire. Bi-wiring does not give much of a benefit. Bi-amping is better. You should normally bi-amp your front speakers. The surround speakers are not as important as front speakers.

The PSB S50 speakers have screw holes in the back. You can install them with brackets on the walls or even to the ceiling.

They are very attractive.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:46 AM   #53
Special Member

Nov 2008
Edmonton, AB
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
The PSB surround speakers don't have the option for bi-wire. Bi-wiring does not give much of a benefit. Bi-amping is better. You should normally bi-amp your front speakers. The surround speakers are not as important as front speakers.

The PSB S50 speakers have screw holes in the back. You can install them with brackets on the walls or even to the ceiling.

They are very attractive.

Thanks,

I agreed with you. a front speakers has a bi-wire but bi-amp is better.

My front loudspeaker hungry need power for 400 watts! I looking stereo amp or 2 channel power amplifier 75 watts to 115 watts for high frequeny is A.

low frequeny is B like bass woofer. over more than 185 watts.

Something a surround has bi-wire. I though PSB has bi-wire. oh I was wrong.

Polk Audio LSiFX surround had has bi-wire.
(pic)

Last edited by Opips2; 08-28-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:02 AM   #54
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Thanks,

I agreed with you. a front speakers has a bi-wire but bi-amp is better.

My front loudspeaker hungry need power for 400 watts! I looking stereo amp or 2 channel power amplifier 75 watts to 115 watts for high frequeny is A.

low frequeny is B like bass woofer. over more than 185 watts.

Something a surround has bi-wire. I though PSB has bi-wire. oh I was wrong.

Polk Audio LSiFX surround had has bi-wire.
(pic)
Offering bi-wiring or bi-amping option for surround speakers is really a useless option. It is more marketing.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:16 PM   #55

Jul 2009

Hello everyone,

I am looking to do a significant 5.1 speaker upgrade (by my lowly HTIB standards) in the very near future & have been eyeing PSB speakers for a very long time for their performance & value.

Specifically, I was considering getting the "Alpha Performance System" for use with my Oppo BDP-83 & Onkyo TX-SR606 and wanted to make sure there weren't better choices (in terms of bang-for-buck value) within a couple hundred dollars of my price limit.

As a basis for comparison, it looks like I can get an Alpha Performance System for ~$1350 shipped, but I am willing to wiggle on the price a bit if there are better options out there that I am unaware of. I had noticed various references to PSB Image speaker systems for a bit more, but would this be a worthy (read: cost-effective) upgrade? I'm hoping this will cure my speaker upgrade-itis for a good decade, or until I win the lottery!

Any comments or suggestions? Is my proposed purchase a solid 5.1 speaker system for the $$$ based on your comparative experiences? Any input is greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I just stumbled upon Saturday Audio's old model PSB Image sale! Since having the newest model isn't a huge concern if I save stupid money on a quality product, my decision may have just been made for me...

Last edited by BigAmish; 08-30-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:12 PM   #56
Special Member

Nov 2008
Edmonton, AB
Thumbs up

Hello BigAmish,

it's perfect on home theater for you. PSB is excellent performance those speakers from Canadian designer.

I hear PSB visited in China's famous make there cheap speakers and cheap labour. PSB can't believe it in China is so popular sell there speaker most in USA. like Polk Audio & Energy Audio....etc

PSB decided not buy there cheap speaker from China.

PSB has hard time those speaker is value & performance for hard sell because expensive. PSB is confidence and believe our is very important speakers.

Opi
Old 08-31-2009, 12:52 AM   #57

Dec 2008

Quote:
.............A better alternative is to use your receiver as a pre/pro and buy an amplifier (either new or used) that can handle 4 ohm speakers.
I was thinking about the amplifier and right now there is a sale on EMOTIVA UPA-7 SEVEN CHANNEL AUDIO POWER AMPLIFIER
125 watts RMS x 7 into 8 ohms | 185 watts RMS x 7 into 4 ohms
$699 ships for $25 (within continental US)
HOT AUGUST SALE PRICE: $629
You think this will be a good choice and protect the SC07.
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:58 AM   #58
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
I was thinking about the amplifier and right now there is a sale on EMOTIVA UPA-7 SEVEN CHANNEL AUDIO POWER AMPLIFIER
125 watts RMS x 7 into 8 ohms | 185 watts RMS x 7 into 4 ohms
$699 ships for $25 (within continental US)
HOT AUGUST SALE PRICE: $629
You think this will be a good choice and protect the SC07.
Thanks in advance.
Emotiva amplifiers are very good value. You should be happy with them.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:15 AM   #59
Special Member

Nov 2008
Edmonton, AB

blurayas11,

Whoa! Nice your front speaker platinum towner!!

Yes, get an amplifier! that's amplifer is high audio sound than receiver's in build amp. it's sound will give you 50% headroom.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:32 PM   #60

Dec 2008

Quote:
Emotiva amplifiers are very good value. You should be happy with them.
Quote:
blurayas11,
Yes, get an amplifier! that's amplifer is high audio sound than receiver's in build amp. it's sound will give you 50% headroom.
Thanks Big Daddy and Opips2. I took advantage of the sale and ordered the Emotiva UPA-7.
Any idea what type of RCA cables should be used to connect the Pioneer SC07 Pre Out to the UPA-7 amplifier.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers