Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Northman 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Last Duel 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
1 day ago
Charlie's Angels: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$58.06
4 hrs ago
The King's Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
1 day ago
Black Widow 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
1 day ago
The French Dispatch (Blu-ray)
$8.99
1 day ago
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Event Horizon 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96
1 day ago
National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets (Blu-ray)
$5.99
8 hrs ago
TRON (Blu-ray)
$5.99
1 day ago
Species 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Jungle Cruise (Blu-ray)
$13.99
20 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-15-2016, 02:00 PM   #201
Blu-ray King

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by callahan09 View Post
Amazon doesn't list Son of Frankenstein. Where do you see that it's included? If it does included it, then you guys are right that it has 2 unique films, making it a little less of a sting to buy both of these sets if I want all the films offered between them. But I don't see it listed?

https://www.amazon.com/Frankenstein-...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It says:

Disc 1 - Frankenstein
Disc 2 - The Bride of Frankenstein
Disc 3 - The Ghost of Frankenstein
Disc 4 - Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man; House of Frankenstein; House of Dracula
Disc 5 - Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein

Is Amazon's listing wrong / missing Son of Frankenstein?
Edit: I do see that the box cover says "All 8 Films" and the listing only names 7 films that I can see, so I suppose if it does include 8, it must include Son of Frankenstein. Is there a different source I can look at that describes the features included, because now I'm thinking that the Amazon listing I was using as a reference is not correct!
Amazon has the back cover, which shows Son of Frankenstein

Thanks given by:
OneWayFilms (07-15-2016), The Great Owl (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 02:29 PM   #202
Banned

Aug 2009
Watsonville, California

Forgot to chime in.

This is great but also hoping these will be released individually. Otherwise I'll have duplicates of the first films featured in these sets. Or I shouldn't care about it.
If these two are also getting a UK release, I'll buy whichever one is the least expensive.
Now I wish Warner will release even more Boxsets also.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:29 PM   #203

Feb 2010

Seems to me the Frankenstein set combined with the previous set gives me all I want from the Frankenstein, Wolfman AND Dracula series. I can live without the others though Son of Dracula would be nice at some point. I'd like a Creature box with "Revenge..." in 3D and I surmise from encouraging (if vague) info from Bob Furmanek that "It Came From Outer Space" in 3D is in the works already. The 3D guru suggests our patience will be rewarded.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:34 PM   #204
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012

Why on earth would they put 3 films on on BD when the other 4 discs only have 1 title each?
Old 07-15-2016, 02:41 PM   #205
Blu-ray King

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybreese View Post
Why on earth would they put 3 films on on BD when the other 4 discs only have 1 title each?
One of the discs has 2 films, and the other has 3. The others each have 1 film each because they've already been released before, so there's no need to alter the existing disc masters for them. Plus those all have extras on those discs. . The new films are practically barebones, and aren't too long, so 3 films on one disc isn't really a huge deal.

Frankenstein Legacy:

Disc 3
Ghost of Frankenstein - 68 mins
Son of Frankenstein 100 mins

Total: 168 mins = 2 hours and 48 mins

Disc 4:

Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man - 73 mins
House of Frankenstein - 68 mins
House of Dracula - 67 mins

Total: 208 mins = 3 hours and 28 mins

Wolfman Legacy:

Disc 2:

Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man - 73 mins
House of Frankenstein - 68 mins
House of Dracula - 67 mins

Total: 208 mins = 3 hours and 28 min

Disc 4:

Werewolf of London - 74 mins
She-Wolf of London - 71 mins

Total - 145 mins = 2 hours and 25 mins

For a BD-50 disc with just trailers for extras? Nothing should be compromised by having 2-3 features to a disc. The alternative would be to put out individual titles on BD-25 discs instead, but then you also probably wouldn't have that low $40 MSRP either.

Last edited by MifuneFan; 07-15-2016 at 05:18 PM.
Thanks given by:
Desslok (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 02:50 PM   #206
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2010
-
-
-
-
-

Great announcement! Read through this whole thread trying to figure out my game plan of how to get the majority of these with the fewest duplicates. Despite already owning the first two Frankenstein films on the Universal Monsters set though, the Frankenstein set works out to be the most comprehensive collection for me. Werewolf of London is the only film I feel that I'd be missing out on in the grand scheme, but having that stopgap option to import the French disc, I'll probably just do that.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:50 PM   #207
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2013
S.E. Michigan
USA

If the price predictors here are right, and these go on sale for $20 - $25 (probably around Halloween), then both will be easy buys. Makes more sense than jumping through hoops, importing this or that, just to avoid duplicates and maybe save a buck or two. 👎

Speaking of importing, there are whole sub-forums on this board devoted to international releases. One of my BR.com pet peeves is threads in the NA section, devoted to domestic releases, getting clogged up with import talk. I don't care, few do, so take it elsewhere. 😠
Old 07-15-2016, 03:00 PM   #208
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefactory View Post
That was my very next sentence.
Woopsy, you are right! I guess I was tired!
Thanks given by:
cakefactory (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 03:18 PM   #209
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillamon51 View Post
If the price predictors here are right, and these go on sale for $20 - $25 (probably around Halloween), then both will be easy buys. Makes more sense than jumping through hoops, importing this or that, just to avoid duplicates and maybe save a buck or two. 👎

Speaking of importing, there are whole sub-forums on this board devoted to international releases. One of my BR.com pet peeves is threads in the NA section, devoted to domestic releases, getting clogged up with import talk. I don't care, few do, so take it elsewhere. 😠
Why so grumpy?
Thanks given by:
BobbyPeru (07-18-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 03:21 PM   #210
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2010
Mississippi

Quote:

Not everyone is aware that a set can be found over seas for better prices, or better quality. I always appreciate learning about them in here.
Thanks given by:
BobbyPeru (07-18-2016), CraigThom (07-15-2016), HanaBi (07-15-2016), Lt. Brannigan (07-15-2016), octagon (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 03:27 PM   #211
Power Member

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDiaz718 View Post
Hey Universal, how about Tarantula, The Deadly Mantis, The Land Unknown, The Incredible Shrinking Man, It Came From Outer Space 3-D, The Monolith Monsters, Revenge of the Creature 3-D??????
You must be reading my mind. I would love the 50's Universal sci-fi films to come out. There's also Mole People.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:40 PM   #212
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012

Quote:
If the price predictors here are right, and these go on sale for $20 - $25 (probably around Halloween), then both will be easy buys. Makes more sense than jumping through hoops, importing this or that, just to avoid duplicates and maybe save a buck or two. ��
Do what you want to do, others will do what they want to.

Quote:
Speaking of importing, there are whole sub-forums on this board devoted to international releases. One of my BR.com pet peeves is threads in the NA section, devoted to domestic releases, getting clogged up with import talk. I don't care, few do, so take it elsewhere. ��
What other advice do you have we can ignore?
Old 07-15-2016, 04:18 PM   #213
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilboyblu View Post
Great announcement! Read through this whole thread trying to figure out my game plan of how to get the majority of these with the fewest duplicates. Despite already owning the first two Frankenstein films on the Universal Monsters set though, the Frankenstein set works out to be the most comprehensive collection for me. Werewolf of London is the only film I feel that I'd be missing out on in the grand scheme, but having that stopgap option to import the French disc, I'll probably just do that.
Man, this is getting exasperating!!!

Everybody! LISTEN!!!! The French Blu-rays are old HD transfers -- ten-year-old transfers of unrestored elements. They have all the scratches and speckles, dust and splices you can see on the old DVDs -- only you see them better in HD.

These new HD releases will be 4K scanned and digitally restored, so basically they are MUST-HAVES if you really love these movies.

I'm doing this, I'm getting the FRANKENSTEIN set right away, but I can hold off on THE WOLF MAN set with "Werewolf of London" and "She-Wolf of London" being the only two I'll not have on Blu-ray. When there's a price drop on it, then I'll grab it.

But buying the French releases makes no sense. I got the FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLF MAN one, and beside the transfer not being restored, it cost me with the shipping from Amazon France $29 US. So, unless you're a Universal Monsters fanatic, just wait and get these new US releases.

As for those desiring the Universal '50s Sci-fi movies on Blu-ray and in 3D....
JUST WAIT!!!! They're coming!

Last edited by Rory; 07-15-2016 at 05:41 PM.
Thanks given by:
Desslok (07-15-2016), Lt. Brannigan (07-15-2016), MartinScorsesefan (07-16-2016), Morsoth (07-15-2016), WorkShed (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 05:07 PM   #214

Oct 2012

Your right on the money with this, except you reversed the running times on Son of and Ghost of Frankenstein.
Thanks given by:
MifuneFan (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 05:10 PM   #215

Feb 2010

Another thought...If "She-Wolf of London" and "Werewolf of London" are indeed on one disc then perhaps they will release that disc in a stand-alone release. Now if "Dracula's Daughter" and "Son of Dracula" eventually get the same single-disc treatment you could complete your collection (assuming you have the original eight-disc set) with the "Frankenstein" set and and just two other double-feature discs. The only duplicates would be the first two Frankenstein films.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:19 PM   #216
Blu-ray King

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desslok View Post
Your right on the money with this, except you reversed the running times on Son of and Ghost of Frankenstein.
Fixed
Old 07-15-2016, 05:26 PM   #217
Blu-ray King

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jt19006 View Post
Another thought...If "She-Wolf of London" and "Werewolf of London" are indeed on one disc then perhaps they will release that disc in a stand-alone release. Now if "Dracula's Daughter" and "Son of Dracula" eventually get the same single-disc treatment you could complete your collection (assuming you have the original eight-disc set) with the "Frankenstein" set and and just two other double-feature discs. The only duplicates would be the first two Frankenstein films.
That's my thinking too. There are just three unique discs between the two sets that include all the new movies. They could release double features of both Son of Frankenstein / Ghost of Frankenstein, and Werewolf of London / She-Wolf of London , and a triple-feature of Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man / House of Frankenstein / House of Dracula.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:35 PM   #218

Oct 2012

I'm also thinking that if the movie groupings are kept consistent across all the legacy sets, they could eventually release a "Universal Monsters Complete Collection" with no duplication of any of the movies within the set.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:37 PM   #219
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Victorville, CA

Unfortunately, on the Wolfman set, not only are most of the films duplicates, but one of them isn't worth seeing. She-Wolf Of London was a huge disappointment for me.
[Show spoiler] Non-supernatural,
and no connection to the werewolf films.

Werewolf Of London is terrific though.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:45 PM   #220
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
That's my thinking too. There are just three unique discs between the two sets that include all the new movies. They could release double features of both Son of Frankenstein / Ghost of Frankenstein, and Werewolf of London / She-Wolf of London , and a triple-feature of Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man / House of Frankenstein / House of Dracula.
They could... but they probably won't. And I wouldn't hold my breath waiting.

You had the right idea upfront -- wait for a discounted price or sale.

I'm not going to wait for the FRANKENSTEIN set, but I can for THE WOLF MAN set. I can wait months for that.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America