Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Northman 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Last Duel 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
1 day ago
Charlie's Angels: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$58.06
4 hrs ago
The King's Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
1 day ago
Black Widow 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
1 day ago
The French Dispatch (Blu-ray)
$8.99
1 day ago
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Event Horizon 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96
1 day ago
National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets (Blu-ray)
$5.99
8 hrs ago
Luca 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
22 min ago
TRON (Blu-ray)
$5.99
1 day ago
Species 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-19-2016, 02:53 PM   #1001
Special Member

Oct 2014
London, ON; Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCota15 View Post
Pre-ordered the set, I want to sell my current A&CMF disc, but I'm scared Universal is going to mess something up with this set, like they did the original DVD Legacy sets
So long as Universal doesn't use the version with re-released Realart inserts like they did on the 2008 ABBOTT & COSTELLO: THE COMPLETE UNIVERSAL PICTURES COLLECTION! I'm glad I got the 2014 revised DVD set, instead.

By messed up, do you mean sharing disc space with another title? I could see that being a compression issue with the Legacy DVDs, but probably not so much for the Blu-ray format. In any event, I'd prefer it be a disc standalone, but it's not being so wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me!

CHEERS!
Old 08-19-2016, 02:57 PM   #1002

Jan 2016
Pittsboro, NC

I just ordered my Frankenstein boxed set the other day on Amazon. Very exciting news!
Old 08-19-2016, 03:05 PM   #1003

Jan 2012

I remember problems particularly with Dracula and I think another movie. I hope they do just re-use the current Blu-Ray disc and accidentally mess something up somehow.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:24 PM   #1004
Special Member

Oct 2014
London, ON; Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCota15 View Post
I remember problems particularly with Dracula and I think another movie. I hope they do just re-use the current Blu-Ray disc and accidentally mess something up somehow.
I suspect The Wolf Man and the first two Frankenstein Features will be from the same transfers as the previous standalone Blu-ray releases, but that the Frankenstein sequels ("A&C Meet" notwithstanding!) will be derived from the 2015 4K restorations.

CHEERS!
Old 08-19-2016, 03:31 PM   #1005
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2012
Funkytown

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybreese View Post
The price is outstanding and the complainers are a bunch of penny punching cry babies.
Counterpoint: The price is terrible considering that you're buying the many of the same movies twice when they could have been easily bundled into a Volume Two and defenders are simply studio apologists.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:07 PM   #1006
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Fez View Post
Counterpoint: The price is terrible considering that you're buying the many of the same movies twice when they could have been easily bundled into a Volume Two and defenders are simply studio apologists.
Agreed. Universal could easily have put together a second volume that would have considered the fans and make no mistake,it is the fans buying these sets.The way these sets are packaged would seem to indicate an attempt to appeal to the more casual blu ray buyers to pick and choose and whom I believe are in such a minority as be inconsequential.
The collectors interested in these have either already bought the original set (and may I remind everyone that as excellent as it is,it was certainly not inexpensive) or collected individual releases.
We can argue over stinginess and parse bargains and crunch numbers all day but in the end Universal knows full well it is asking us to reinvest in sets with an absurd amount of overlap.
Keep in mind that by the time the Dracula set arrives a large percentage of buyers will own 4 copies of A&C Meet Frankenstein.
What I feel is really at the heart of this is that fans have invested in these titles time and again on dvd and blu and a little consideration for those of us who have dipped into this well so often
Would be appreciated instead of the usual mercenary cash grab.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:10 PM   #1007
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2011
-
-
-
-

Quote:
If I'm counting right, 10 more new HD movies are being released between the 2 sets. Would you prefer they were released separately at an in-store price of $9.99 each?

Edit: I think it's 7 new releases actually.

Last edited by Jar Jar Stinks; 08-19-2016 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:14 PM   #1008

Jun 2014
Default FRANKENSTEIN / THE WOLF MAN Complete Legacy Collections by Universal! 9/13 Pre-orders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jar Jar Stinks View Post
If I'm counting right, 10 more new HD movies are being released between the 2 sets. Would you prefer they were released separately at an in-store price of $9.99 each?

Edit: I think it's 7 new releases actually.

You're counting wrong. It's 7

Edit: Nevermind
Old 08-19-2016, 04:14 PM   #1009
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2008

Get real, boys, the home video companies are in business to try and make money -- not make everybody happy.

Is anyone putting a gun to anyone's head and forcing you to buy Blu-rays? And you can always wait for deeper discounts or what pops up used. In the long run, you'll forget the money you'll spend but you'll still have the discs to enjoy. And those extra discs? Mini frisbees or strange coasters, or give them away as Christmas presents.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:20 PM   #1010
Special Member

Oct 2014
London, ON; Canada

Given that I'm one of those who never got around to ordering The Universal Monsters Essential Blu-ray set, and its absurdly high current Amazon Canada price point ($68.99, although some 3rd party merchants offer somewhat better pricing.), I'm happy to get the Legacy Blu-rays before they meet the same fate!

CHEERS!
Old 08-19-2016, 04:44 PM   #1011
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011
London

Quote:
I shouldn't really answer this, as this post looks like just a bit of trolling, but - whatever the deal some people will complain, that's the nature of the internet. I make it, if you already have the big Blu-ray box & the A&C disc & you buy both sets, the seven new films are costing you around $7.60 each, new HD restorations, they're giving 'em away! How many other studios are releasing sets of forties films (we now have Marx Brothers set announced, how long before Warner announces their one, I'm thinking a very long wait!). If it was Warner it would be one at a time at $16-$20 each & I'd be pushing up the daisies by the time they'd all been released. Carry on Universal, a Mummy set next year please...& don't forget those Hope/Crosby Road To films.

Last edited by CinemaScope; 08-19-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:56 PM   #1012
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010

I don't care about the price as much as I care about them cramming three features on a single disc. I'm buying the set for the sequels. I already have the main films. They should have crammed the double dips together on a disc and spread out the movies we're all buying these sets for. Especially with 4K transfers with great grain structure. Good grain takes a healthy bitrate.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:08 PM   #1013
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012

A quality encode is by far more important than bit rate in terms of resolving grain.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:12 PM   #1014
Special Member

Oct 2014
London, ON; Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
I don't care about the price as much as I care about them cramming three features on a single disc. I'm buying the set for the sequels. I already have the main films. They should have crammed the double dips together on a disc and spread out the movies we're all buying these sets for. Especially with 4K transfers with great grain structure. Good grain takes a healthy bitrate.
I agree that 3 titles on one disc might be a bit much, although the Blu-ray format is better with this than DVD. In my opinion, Universal's old standard 2 features per disc limit would have been a reasonable compromise.

CHEERS!
Old 08-19-2016, 05:41 PM   #1015
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2012
Funkytown

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaScope View Post
I shouldn't really answer this, as this post looks like just a bit of trolling, but - whatever the deal some people will complain, that's the nature of the internet. I make it, if you already have the big Blu-ray box & the A&C disc & you buy both sets, the seven new films are costing you around $7.60 each, new HD restorations, they're giving 'em away! How many other studios are releasing sets of forties films (we now have Marx Brothers set announced, how long before Warner announces their one, I'm thinking a very long wait!). If it was Warner it would be one at a time at $16-$20 each & I'd be pushing up the daisies by the time they'd all been released. Carry on Universal, a Mummy set next year please...& don't forget those Hope/Crosby Road To films.
Okay, calling people okay with this release arrangement "studio apologists" is a bit harsh, but so is someone calling people who don't want to buy the same movie up to three times a "penny pinching crybaby".

It just seems that it would be much easier for all parties concerned that they just do a Monster Volume Two and call it a day. The monster movie fans will still buy them just the same as if it were the two releases and the public don't get stuck with a ton of useless discs.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:50 PM   #1016
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
I see what you mean and that would be most ideal (even on a BD25), but in reality these are in black and white (saves A LOT of bandwidth), 4:3, and only a little over an hour long. It's almost like basically we're talking like one 3.5 hour B&W, 4:3 movie on a BD50? The grain should be fine with competent encoding and surely it's been "managed" like the other remasters/restorations.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:35 PM   #1017
Power Member

May 2014
Antarctica

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD64 View Post
Agreed. Universal could easily have put together a second volume that would have considered the fans and make no mistake,it is the fans buying these sets.The way these sets are packaged would seem to indicate an attempt to appeal to the more casual blu ray buyers to pick and choose and whom I believe are in such a minority as be inconsequential.
The collectors interested in these have either already bought the original set (and may I remind everyone that as excellent as it is,it was certainly not inexpensive) or collected individual releases.
We can argue over stinginess and parse bargains and crunch numbers all day but in the end Universal knows full well it is asking us to reinvest in sets with an absurd amount of overlap.
Keep in mind that by the time the Dracula set arrives a large percentage of buyers will own 4 copies of A&C Meet Frankenstein.
What I feel is really at the heart of this is that fans have invested in these titles time and again on dvd and blu and a little consideration for those of us who have dipped into this well so often
Would be appreciated instead of the usual mercenary cash grab.
Nope, you'd be surprised. Based on Universal's past release-strategy of these films on DVD over the years, over and over again, it was quite obvious they were going to do the same thing here. Release singles of the main monsters, then a big box set of the main monster films. Then Legacy sets of all the others, including all the main ones again (outside of Phantom). Anyone expecting them to do a Big Box Monster Volume 2 wasn't doing their homework or paying attention.

I'm a collector and love these films and I skipped all the single Blu releases and the big box because I knew if I wanted all (or most) of these films, the Legacy Collections would be the way to get them once they get released, all packaged nicely by monster, instead of scrambling with convoluted box sets with unrelated sequels all jumbled together. The price on these Legacy sets is perfect, stop worrying that you have duplicate films here and there, who cares? Just ignore the duplicates. And sell off your obsolete big box set and be done with it.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:31 PM   #1018
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlock View Post
Nope, you'd be surprised. Based on Universal's past release-strategy of these films on DVD over the years, over and over again, it was quite obvious they were going to do the same thing here. Release singles of the main monsters, then a big box set of the main monster films. Then Legacy sets of all the others, including all the main ones again (outside of Phantom). Anyone expecting them to do a Big Box Monster Volume 2 wasn't doing their homework or paying attention.

I'm a collector and love these films and I skipped all the single Blu releases and the big box because I knew if I wanted all (or most) of these films, the Legacy Collections would be the way to get them once they get released, all packaged nicely by monster, instead of scrambling with convoluted box sets with unrelated sequels all jumbled together. The price on these Legacy sets is perfect, stop worrying that you have duplicate films here and there, who cares? Just ignore the duplicates. And sell off your obsolete big box set and be done with it.
I never actually expected a V.2 set, my post was merely to indicate some respect and consideration from Universal would be appreciated.I certainly understand corporations are in it to make money, but I wanted to show my support for the collectors who can't help but feel a little gypped.Hey,we all love these movies whether we are pro or con regarding Universal's marketing strategies and the passion in most of these posts reflect that.But I do find it curious that some fans seem vehemently pissed off at those of us railing against Universal's methods.
I've no intention of selling my box set as the Frankenstein set is the only one I'll be purchasing. I can live with the lesser Wolfman offshoots,Mummy and Invisible Man sequels on dvd.I can wait it out for a possible Dracula Son and Daughter double feature.
To reiterate, none of what Universal did here surprised me; I was buying 8mm in the 70's and laserdiscs in the 80's of these films and it's been a long road.My love for these films continues.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:34 PM   #1019
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlock View Post

I wish there were singles simply because there are other non-universal monster movies based on Frankenstein, Dracula, wolf man, etc. I am going to wait it out and hope some of the obscure movies get singles releases.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:36 AM   #1020
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010
Chicago, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
The Wolfman set is still $14.99 at Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/wolf-man...&skuId=5578901
Yeah, if it wasn't the correct price what is the hold up for correcting it?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America