Best Xbox One Game Deals

Best Xbox One Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville (Xbox One)
$33.88
3 hrs ago
Wreckfest (Xbox One)
$33.99

Greedfall (Xbox One)
$41.88

Gears 5 (Xbox One)
$69.88

Kingdom Come: Deliverance (Xbox One)
$19.99

NASCAR Heat 4 (Xbox One)
$41.88

Rage 2 (Xbox One)
$29.99

Just Cause 4 (Xbox One)
$19.99

Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (Xbox One)
$29.99

The Sinking City (Xbox One)
$36.98

Generation Zero (Xbox One)
$19.99

The Fisherman: Fishing Planet (Xbox One)
$39.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox One

Old 10-08-2018, 03:35 PM   #1
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011
Default Project xCloud, game streaming service.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...project-xcloud

Quote:
Microsoft has announced Project xCloud, a major new game-streaming service designed to bring console-quality gaming to devices such as smartphones.

The idea is similar to other game-streaming ventures - datacentres packed with Xbox hardware which then remotely streams the game to your device.

Quote:
But of course with such an idea comes the need to solve issues such as latency and visual fidelity - which is where Microsoft's Azure cloud technology comes in.

Microsoft has begun privately testing xCloud using mobile phones and tablets paired with Xbox controllers using Bluetooth and via touch input, over 4G networks and 5G as it becomes available. Public trials of xCloud will begin next year.

Quote:
In the above video, Xbox boss Phil Spencer and others discuss how the project will work in detail - and also reassure Xbox fans that the era of console gaming is far from over. This service is designed for those who do not have access to a console, Microsoft says, or want a secondary way of playing Xbox games, such as while on the move.

It's a huge development for Microsoft - and with new Xbox consoles already confirmed as in the pipeline, something likely to play a huge part in how the company handles its next gaming hardware generation.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:43 PM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Certainly not for me but it seems this could also combat the Switch without having to make dedicated hardware. Everybody has a phone. If they can get your achievements and progress to sync between a console, PC and cellular (I see no reason they can't) I could see this potentially being pretty viable, especially if 5G gets rolled out quickly. Everything I read about that is it's big benefit is low latency.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:50 AM   #3
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

They be trying to get that Japanese market.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:10 AM   #4
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyne View Post
Certainly not for me but it seems this could also combat the Switch without having to make dedicated hardware. Everybody has a phone. If they can get your achievements and progress to sync between a console, PC and cellular (I see no reason they can't) I could see this potentially being pretty viable, especially if 5G gets rolled out quickly. Everything I read about that is it's big benefit is low latency.
The problem with that is using touch screen controls on a FPS or such like is a really crappy experience. No amount of visual fidelity will change that. Also, the Bluetooth controllers just seem tacked on unlike The Switche’s slick parts. That to me is the one big drawback.
Playing Switch on the move is fine, doing the same with cellphones? Nah, two different experiences.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:07 PM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
They be trying to get that Japanese market.
You say that cheekily(?) but that's actually a very good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Also, the Bluetooth controllers just seem tacked on unlike The Switche’s slick parts. That to me is the one big drawback.
Playing Switch on the move is fine, doing the same with cellphones? Nah, two different experiences.
Agreed. The bolt on solution they show seems pretty unwieldy for a commuter. Maybe in time they can release something smaller that somehow attaches to all cell phones like the Gameboy shell patent by Nintendo that was recently discovered. Both would have to somehow make it so they could release one shell that could fit 1000 different form factors.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (10-09-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 12:57 PM   #6
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyne View Post
You say that cheekily(?) but that's actually a very good point.

Agreed. The bolt on solution they show seems pretty unwieldy for a commuter. Maybe in time they can release something smaller that somehow attaches to all cell phones like the Gameboy shell patent by Nintendo that was recently discovered. Both would have to somehow make it so they could release one shell that could fit 1000 different form factors.
Or universal controllers that click together like the switch for tv play but attach to both ends of the phone for mobile play. Don't know how they could do that however. One thing I do know, I canít play FPS with touch screen, goodness knows I have tried. Something like Plants versus Zombies is absolutely fine but a shooter is painful to play imo.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:17 AM   #7

Nov 2014

I'm looking forward to it. I'm sure nothing will beat having a dedicated console (or PC if that's your pref) but AC: Odyssey works pretty well on Google's Project Stream so far and my internet connection kind of sucks. MacBook plus Xbox One controller could be nice for when I get stuck on a boring work trip, at least for smaller games. I don't think I'll have a good enough connection for online or competitive play.

If this becomes a benefit of Xbox Live that would be awesome.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:26 AM   #8
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2011
UK

no thanks
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (10-19-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 08:20 PM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Comforting news for people that think we're going towards an all streaming future.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/xbo...le-further-out

Quote:
In an interview with leveup.com at the X018 event in Mexico City Spencer was asked if in the future games will all be based in remote servers and streamed to screens. Spencer gave a surprisingly measured answer.
Quote:
"No, there are certain scenarios where a streamed game is the best answer. On a console the best scenario is for you to download that game and play," Spencer says. "If you're on a PC that's capable of downloading and playing a game? Download and play that game."
Quote:
Spencer says streaming a game is better in certain instance like if some gamers don't have access to a device that can run certain high-fidelity games, or instant start game trials Spencer calls "interesting." But Spencer says he thinks "for years and years the best way to go play a game on a console is to download that game and play it, and same thing on PC."
Quote:
"Streaming is something that's further out in terms of it becoming really mass-market, everybody doing it and even way further out before it's the best way to play a game, if it ever is," Spencer says. "It's about giving you choice as a player not about replacing what you do." Spencer also says that Microsoft is "investing to make [native gaming] even better."
Quote:
"Streaming is something that's further out in terms of it becoming really mass-market, everybody doing it and even way further out before it's the best way to play a game, if it ever is," Spencer says. "It's about giving you choice as a player not about replacing what you do." Spencer also says that Microsoft is "investing to make [native gaming] even better."
Old 06-09-2019, 09:23 PM   #10
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

this october we can use our consoles to play our games wherever
Old 06-09-2019, 09:53 PM   #11
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

BRINGING XBOX TO THE CLOUD

In addition to delivering players the games they want, with the people they want, across console and PC, Xbox is also empowering people to play wherever they want by bringing Xbox to the cloud.

First, Xbox announced the ability to stream games from your Xbox One console, starting in preview this October. With console streaming, gamers will have access to their Xbox One game library and Xbox Game Pass titles on the go, streamed directly from an Xbox One console to a mobile device.

The Xbox E3 Briefing also marked a new milestone for "Project xCloud," with E3 2019 attendees being among the first in the world to play Xbox One games like "Halo 5: Guardians" and "Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice" streaming on smartphones and tablets. With Project xCloud, Xbox is investing to ensure players have the choice and freedom to play the games they want, with the friends they want, how and where they want.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:39 AM   #12
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Old 06-10-2019, 04:12 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008
Texas. Muggy & Hot 24/7/365

Wasn't the MS cloud gonna revolutionize Crackdown 3?
Old 06-10-2019, 04:59 PM   #14
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt S View Post
Wasn't the MS cloud gonna revolutionize Crackdown 3?
This is totally different but yes. There was supposed to be offline rendering in single and multiplayer that was supposed to make the environments much more destructive. A bit of that made it into the final game.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox One