Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: The Outer Limits: Season Two $32.72 (20 mins left)

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Aladdin 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$24.99

It: Chapter Two 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Shin Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$10.39

Aladdin (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Star Trek Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

The Wizard of Oz 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Pet Sematary 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.24

Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$71.13

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Glass (Blu-ray)
$11.99

It: Chapter Two (Blu-ray)
$24.95

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 06-10-2019, 10:48 PM   #2541
Power Member

Aug 2011
DFW, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sextein View Post
If you have 8060 towers then I would assume you have an Atmos powered amp. If it's 11 channel then I would buy matching 8060 towers for the rear so that all of your height channels match and the towers match. If you have a 9.1 amp or you are not planning on using the rear height channels then I would go for the 8000F towers. If you don't have the room or you don't want to spend the money for matching towers then I would go for the 600M surround speakers.

The reason why I would choose the 600M over the 502's is that Atmos uses direct audio to combine sounds in order to transition sound effects and place sounds around the room. Speakers that shoot in multiple directions are not recommended for Atmos enabled setups. As you said, you can always add more direct channels behind you if you want better rear coverage in the future.

BTW, I'm no pro. I'm just an average joe and this is my opinion based on what I have read.
my current receiver is only 7 channels so they will all be used at the moment, I will have to get another receiver to do rear surrounds or rear atmos speakers if I decide I want that... I did fail to mention that my side surrounds are in line with my fronts and directly at the ends of my couch, I have had a few recommendations to go with the 502S for that reason since they are more immersive and won't be firing directly in my ears... I got all my Klipsch speakers through Sound Distributors and highly recommend them to anyone, he gave me a great deal on the ones I bought and I will be going back to him to get the 502S pretty soon... I will be moving in about a month and didn't want to go through the whole setup process twice in a short period of time so I basically tested the speakers out and boxed them back up... from what I heard I liked it, the sound was a lot more clear and precise compared to my polks and the sub hits hard but was very clean... I can't wait to get everything setup and play around with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by charsi View Post
Could someone help an audio novice please

i'm looking at the Klipsch Black Reference Theater Pack 5.1 Surround Sound System and possibly pairing that with Denon AVR-S740H Receiver. First time buyer of any home theatre audio equip and completely lost!
what exactly are you asking?
Thanks given by:
the_sextein (06-14-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 12:01 AM   #2542

May 2019
I live in the American Gardens Building on W. 81st Street on the 11th floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutron82 View Post
what exactly are you asking?
would those speakers perform well with that receiver
Old 06-11-2019, 12:37 AM   #2543

Apr 2009

Quote:
Could someone help an audio novice please :

i'm looking at the Klipsch Black Reference Theater Pack 5.1 Surround Sound System and possibly pairing that with Denon AVR-S740H Receiver. First time buyer of any home theatre audio equip and completely lost!
The maximum acoustic output, sometimes called maximum Sound Pressure Level [SPL], "volume," or "loudness") specified by Klipsch for the subwoofer is 108 dB, and that is probably at 1 meter away from the sub. In a typical room (] different than outdoors or in an anechoic chamber), you will lose about 3 dB for every doubling of distance, so, if you are sitting 2 meters (a little less than 7 feet) away from the subwoofer, you would get only about 105 dB from the subwoofer at the loudest. For people who like their movies at theater SPL, 105 dB, while O.K. for the main speakers at maximum, is 10 dB short for the subwoofer, which needs 115 dB for the loudest special effects, at Reference Level (professional theater or control room maximum).

This might or might not be a problem. I play most movies at 5 dB below Reference, which is about what THX urges for the maximum in my size room, due to early reflections fooling the brain into thinking the sound is of higher SPL than it really is in a home size room. Most people play at 10 dB to (even) 20 dB below Reference. That may be what Klipsch is banking on. At, say, 15 dB below Reference, at, maybe, 7 feet away, the sub you are looking at would put out 5 dB more than needed. At about 14 feet away, you would have about 2 dB more than needed for maximum SPL at 14 feet.

Don't get me wrong; I love Klipsch. My Home Theater (and music listening room) uses two Klipschorns for the main right and left speakers, a Belle Klipsch for the center channel, and Klipsch Heresy IIs for surrounds.

The Denon AVR-S740H Receiver is fine, due to the modest power the main speakers will accept (the subwoofer has its own amp built in). You will have 2 more amp channels than you need right now, but maybe you will add two more small speakers for two more channels later.

Last edited by garyrc; 06-11-2019 at 12:54 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:19 AM   #2544

May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyrc View Post

Don't get me wrong; I love Klipsch. My Home Theater (and music listening room) uses two Klipschorns for the main right and left speakers, a Belle Klipsch for the center channel, and Klipsch Heresy IIs for surrounds.

The Denon AVR-S740H Receiver is fine, due to the modest power the main speakers will accept (the subwoofer has its own amp built in). You will have 2 more amp channels than you need right now, but maybe you will add two more small speakers for two more channels later.
i really appreciate your time and response. i've been looking at different posts, videos, and websites since noon today. i'm now torn from buying a bundled package vs assembling one. Now, I have this in my amazon cart. what's your take on this?

Old 06-12-2019, 08:54 AM   #2545

Apr 2009

Quote:
i really appreciate your time and response. i've been looking at different posts, videos, and websites since noon today. i'm now torn from buying a bundled package vs assembling one. Now, I have this in my amazon cart. what's your take on this?

Ifyou like it pretty loud, about as loud as it is in commercial theaters, you should get a subwoofer that is capable of 115 dB -- this is usually given on specification sheets. Look up the spec sheet on the Klipsch website. The sub listed at the bottom of your Amazon cart page is better than the one in the bundled package, but still won't make 115 dB without risk. If you like your music and movies at "medium level" that sub might be O.K., but no guarantees if the filmmakers go overboard (which they do, often).
Old 06-13-2019, 12:36 AM   #2546

May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyrc View Post
Ifyou like it pretty loud, about as loud as it is in commercial theaters, you should get a subwoofer that is capable of 115 dB -- this is usually given on specification sheets. Look up the spec sheet on the Klipsch website. The sub listed at the bottom of your Amazon cart page is better than the one in the bundled package, but still won't make 115 dB without risk. If you like your music and movies at "medium level" that sub might be O.K., but no guarantees if the filmmakers go overboard (which they do, often).
how would the set up i have in the amazon cart do in a 16x16 basement, paired with a grumpy wife and 7 month old that hate loudness? this set up too much? lol
Old 06-13-2019, 02:30 AM   #2547

Apr 2009

Quote:
how would the set up i have in the amazon cart do in a 16x16 basement, paired with a grumpy wife and 7 month old that hate loudness? this set up too much? lol
Under those circumstances, the system in the Amazon cart would probably be fine.

The fact that your room is 16 x 16 might be a problem. A perfectly square room is not desirable because both dimensions reinforce or attenuate the exactly the same bass standing waves, doubling their influence Short of altering the dimensions, you can do a few things. See articles on room acoustics. Use Audyssey (included in the receiver in your Amazon cart). Use all 6 or 8 microphone positions when setting it up. It takes time to do it properly. Read this: "Audyssey FAQ Linked Here"... if the link won't work, Google AVS forum "official audyssey thread, post number 51778 (of 79637).

If you use Audyssey, it will knock down some bass peaks you were used to, so it might sound like there isn't enough bass, therefore turn up the subwoofer a bit (3 to 6 dB?) AFTER running Audyssey and either use DEQ or turn up the bass tone control (usable only when DEQ is off). This shouldn't make the overall sound louder than it would be without Audyssey, but it should sound better.

The "midrange compensation" that Audyssey Reference uses fights harshness by putting a dip at about 2K Hz, but returns the curve to normal in the "presence" range (4K to 8K, approximately) then starts the roll-off at about 8K, reaching -2 at 10 K, and -6 at 20K.

For excellent recordings, I tend to use Audyssey Flat, and for less than excellent recordings, I use Audyssey Reference.

Classical and Jazz recordings are still good, but pop, rock and metal producers are in the middle of a disturbing period in which they jack up the midrange, and attenuate the bass. Audyssey Reference is a partial cure for that. See Chris A's The Missing Octave over on the Klipsch Community Forum.

Make sure you have some area rugs on the floor.

You may want to partially sound proof the ceiling if your family will be lingering straight above. Is it open to joists, or plastered/sheet rocked?
Google sound proofing (total soundproofing is impossible in a home, unless you are wealthy, and are starting from scratch).

As to the phenomenon you called, "grumpy wife," women usually have better high frequency hearing than men, and therefore sometimes are more sensitive to loud music (the genders are pulling together, though, thanks to ear protection in industry, the elimination of the military draft, the fact that smoking is on the decline, etc.) There is a twist, however.
What the ear/brain calls "loud" may have high intermodulation (& other) distortion, which is quite unpleasant, and tricks the brain into thinking the sound is "louder" than it really is in terms of actual sound pressure level. Unpleasant, specular, early room reflections can do something similar. That's why THX advises playing Home Theater sound some 5 to 8 dB softer than the standard level used in commercial cinemas, or the level of a live symphony orchestra from the close seats in a concert hall. The irony is, if everything else could be held equal, the more powerful the receiver one has, the less likely clipping distortion, or intermodulation distortion is to trick your brain (or, in the case of clipping, blow your speakers), at the exact same SPL. Some studies indicate that women are more sensitive to distortion, too.

Last edited by garyrc; 06-14-2019 at 03:28 AM.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:15 PM   #2548

Apr 2018

I have a pair of rp280f's using with a Yamaha rx 880.

Listening to music in straight stereo through Marantz cd player, i'm getting quite a bit of sibilance? (I think you call it) on vocals. I played some Anne Lenox and on certain tracks there's a fizzy,trebley edge to the vocals, especially on "oooh" or "ahhh" vowels that really stand out. There's the vocals,then this distorted edge right next to it. It's as if the tweeters are giving out too much and distorting. But, other times they sound wonderful and the edginess seems to die down and they clean up.
I have my treble quite high but I don't think this is the problem as like I say sometimes they sound a lot cleaner ,to the point that I sit there and think "these sound amazing" and I've not noticed this before on other speakers.

I just don't know what i'm going to get from day to day. They're either having a bad day, it's my ears or the electric to the whole house. lol
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers