Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$34.99
21 hrs ago
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$35.49
23 hrs ago
007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99

The Fly Collection (Blu-ray)
$66.62

Suspiria 4K (Blu-ray)
$36.04

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Psycho: Complete 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Ultraseven: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72
20 hrs ago
Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Ultraseven: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$27.04
2 hrs ago
Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Anne Bancroft Collection (Blu-ray)
$66.62
3 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Old 06-22-2019, 11:28 AM   #1

Feb 2018
South Italy
-
Default Please help a No0b! Subwoofer distortion

My second hand E8-SUB left line-in is connected to my receiver's left line-out, and the active sub gets its power through the same wall socket as everything else in my rig, via a Monster power HTS 2600's switched circuit outlet.

It distorts horribly at reference volume, but is OK at lower volumes. The sub's volume dial at the front is set to minimum, and of the two dials on the back, the cutoff frequency is set to the third level of six levels (first level is 40hz, sixth is 150hz) whilst the phase dial is set to 0 (zero) of a maximum of 80.

What am I doing wrong? I remember matching the dials on the back to what I set-up the receiver's levels to be outputting, thinking I was doing it right. Could the subwoofer itself simply have been shagged, all along? Please help!
Old 06-24-2019, 02:38 AM   #2

Jul 2011
Waipahu, Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoVisionist View Post
My second hand E8-SUB left line-in is connected to my receiver's left line-out, and the active sub gets its power through the same wall socket as everything else in my rig, via a Monster power HTS 2600's switched circuit outlet.

It distorts horribly at reference volume, but is OK at lower volumes. The sub's volume dial at the front is set to minimum, and of the two dials on the back, the cutoff frequency is set to the third level of six levels (first level is 40hz, sixth is 150hz) whilst the phase dial is set to 0 (zero) of a maximum of 80.

What am I doing wrong? I remember matching the dials on the back to what I set-up the receiver's levels to be outputting, thinking I was doing it right. Could the subwoofer itself simply have been shagged, all along? Please help!
Not quite sure of your set up particulars, but in general, to greatly simplify:
Sub input should be from your receiver LFE. The receiver set up speaker parameters should show your mains, center and surrounds as "SMALL". The receiver should route all frequencies below 80 Hz (recommended as starting point) to the sub. Make sure the sub is set to "on" in the receiver set up menu. The sub input crossover should be set to LFE, volume 10 to 12 o'clock,and phase to 0 initially. Run your rcvr auto EQ and take a listen. If the bass is overblown or anemic, adjust the receiver sub out level or the gain on the sub accordingly.
If your receiver does not have LFE out, you need to input both the left and right pre-outs to the sub, and set the sub crossover to 80 Hz. If your sub is still not making happy noises, it's probably toast.
The stickied sub set up thread at the top covers this much better and in greater detail.
Thanks given by:
NeoVisionist (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 03:40 PM   #3

Feb 2018
South Italy
-

Thanks. I'm tempted to just buy another sub but I might get unlucky and buy another lemon. There isn't much beech coloured Jamo stuff out there for sale sadly.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers