Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$35.49
21 hrs ago
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$34.99
19 hrs ago
007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99
 
The Fly Collection (Blu-ray)
$66.62
23 hrs ago
Suspiria 4K (Blu-ray)
$36.04
 
Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Ultraseven: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72
17 hrs ago
Psycho: Complete 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99
 
Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Ultraseven: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$27.04
36 min ago
Ultraman Geed (Blu-ray)
$21.72
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 09:11 PM   #41
Nielsb90 Nielsb90 is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Nielsb90's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
Denmark
38
710
17
2
10
Default

Aight so I understood this correctly?

I am not smart in this area, but under speaker config in the receivers menu it now looks like this:

Subwoofer: yes
Front: 80hz
Center: 80hz
Surround: 120hz
Surr back: none
LPF of LFE: 120hz

Does that look alright?

Btw my receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR605
Front speakers are Jamo 507
Center is Jamo 160
Surrounds are Jamo 200
Subwoofer is a Gale 3090

Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:11 PM   #42
jomari jomari is offline
Moderator
 
jomari's Avatar
 
Nov 2007
18
2
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsb90 View Post
Aight so I understood this correctly?

I am not smart in this area, but under speaker config in the receivers menu it now looks like this:

Subwoofer: yes
Front: 80hz
Center: 80hz
Surround: 120hz
Surr back: none
LPF of LFE: 120hz

Does that look alright?

Btw my receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR605
Front speakers are Jamo 507
Center is Jamo 160
Surrounds are Jamo 200
Subwoofer is a Gale 3090

Thanks

looks good to me. but i suggest experimenting, listening to what works for you. try 60 for your fronts, and/or center if ever, and see how that works for you as well. id prefer 80hz, but its a matter of preference.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:45 PM   #43
Raikirik Raikirik is offline
Member
 
Nov 2009
Default

Hey everyone.

I've been really baffled by these crossover settings and I really am lost as where they should be set on the speakers I currently have. They were part of a home theater package, the Sony STRK990. The manual is here

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...=STRK990&LOC=3

I don't know which part of the manual gives me the specs for the speaker frequency response. I replaced the receiver in that package with a Sony STR DG820 and carried the speakers over.

I've read that the crossovers should be set, relevant to their frequency response or something like that.

EXAMPLE 1
Subwoofer frequency range: 20-130Hz
Centre speaker frequency range: 70-20,000Hz

Therefore the acceptable crossover settings range for the centre speaker would be: 70-130Hz

This means you can use a setting of 70, 80, 90 etc., up to 130Hz for the centre speaker. If you use settings above or below the acceptable range then frequencies outside of the acceptable range will be lost and not reproduced by either the subwoofer or the associated speaker.

I would really like to know what would be acceptable for my speakers. Thanks in advance for the help.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:43 PM   #44
Big Daddy Big Daddy is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Southern California
79
122
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikirik View Post
Hey everyone.

I've been really baffled by these crossover settings and I really am lost as where they should be set on the speakers I currently have. They were part of a home theater package, the Sony STRK990. The manual is here

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...=STRK990&LOC=3

I don't know which part of the manual gives me the specs for the speaker frequency response. I replaced the receiver in that package with a Sony STR DG820 and carried the speakers over.

I've read that the crossovers should be set, relevant to their frequency response or something like that.

EXAMPLE 1
Subwoofer frequency range: 20-130Hz
Centre speaker frequency range: 70-20,000Hz

Therefore the acceptable crossover settings range for the centre speaker would be: 70-130Hz

This means you can use a setting of 70, 80, 90 etc., up to 130Hz for the centre speaker. If you use settings above or below the acceptable range then frequencies outside of the acceptable range will be lost and not reproduced by either the subwoofer or the associated speaker.

I would really like to know what would be acceptable for my speakers. Thanks in advance for the help.
If your speakers are part of a HTIB system, my guess is that you should set the crossover to 120Hz or higher as most HTIB speakers do not have a good low frequency extension.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:16 PM   #45
jkmlhouston jkmlhouston is offline
New Member
 
Jul 2010
Default

Big Daddy are you still in here? Need help with speaker set up and crossovers if possible. If you're here, I'll post what I have. Thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:43 PM   #46
Big Daddy Big Daddy is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Southern California
79
122
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmlhouston View Post
Big Daddy are you still in here? Need help with speaker set up and crossovers if possible. If you're here, I'll post what I have. Thanks!
Ask your question first. I will decide if I am still here depending on how hard your question is.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:45 AM   #47
crazyBLUE crazyBLUE is offline
Moderator
 
crazyBLUE's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest
89
479
1
38
30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
Ask your question first. I will decide if I am still here depending on how hard your question is.
LMAO
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:37 AM   #48
Big Daddy Big Daddy is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Southern California
79
122
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyBLUE View Post
LMAO
I am glad you enjoyed my response. He should have asked his question without any conditions. I would have been glad to answer his question to the best of my abilities.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:30 AM   #49
crazyBLUE crazyBLUE is offline
Moderator
 
crazyBLUE's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest
89
479
1
38
30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
I am glad you enjoyed my response. He should have asked his question without any conditions. I would have been glad to answer his question to the best of my abilities.
That's why we depend on you so much , You are the one to go to when it comes to sound ~ Sound systems & everything to do with all the above !!!



  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:18 AM   #50
HAMP HAMP is offline
Banned
 
HAMP's Avatar
 
Oct 2007
Michigan
13
272
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
Ask your question first. I will decide if I am still here depending on how hard your question is.
OMG!!!!!!!!!! This is just too funny!!!!!!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:33 PM   #51
Maxwell Maxwell is offline
Member
 
Nov 2010
Canada
103
66
Default I'm a bit confused

I have set all my speakers to small, double base is off, crossover setting is at 80hz but my Yamaha V1800 doesn't measure the main speaker levels in hz I dont think(thats where I get confused).

please help

My speakers are the new PSB image series

here are my current settings

Fronts +7.5dB
Center +6.0dB
Surrounds +4.0dB
SB +6.0dB
SW -6.0dB

Am I on the right track

Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:35 AM   #52
Big Daddy Big Daddy is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Southern California
79
122
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
I have set all my speakers to small, double base is off, crossover setting is at 80hz but my Yamaha V1800 doesn't measure the main speaker levels in hz I dont think(thats where I get confused).

please help

My speakers are the new PSB image series

here are my current settings

Fronts +7.5dB
Center +6.0dB
Surrounds +4.0dB
SB +6.0dB
SW -6.0dB

Am I on the right track

Thanks
You seem to be on the right track. However, I do not understand the sentence that I bolded. Crossovers are measured in Hertz. Speaker levels (loudness) are measured in dBs (Decibels). Most new receivers have auto calibration and/or manual calibration options. You can adjust the crossovers and the levels.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:17 AM   #53
Maxwell Maxwell is offline
Member
 
Nov 2010
Canada
103
66
Default

I cant find where to adjust the crossover for individual speakers. There is just individual speaker volume and a bass crossover frequency for all speakers?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:42 AM   #54
Big Daddy Big Daddy is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Southern California
79
122
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
I cant find where to adjust the crossover for individual speakers. There is just individual speaker volume and a bass crossover frequency for all speakers?
OK, I understand now. Some receivers have basic crossover setting. In your case, if you set the crossover in your receiver to 80Hz, the frequencies below 80Hz are cut off from all the speakers that are set to SMALL and will go to the subwoofer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:05 AM   #55
Maxwell Maxwell is offline
Member
 
Nov 2010
Canada
103
66
Default

Is that ok setting it up like that I dont want to kill my subs either
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:21 AM   #56
crazyBLUE crazyBLUE is offline
Moderator
 
crazyBLUE's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest
89
479
1
38
30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
Is that ok setting it up like that I dont want to kill my subs either
You will be fine & not kill anything Maxwell Just as Big Daddy has said is how I have mine, Crossover set to 80Hz & all the speakers set to SMALL
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:01 AM   #57
crazyBLUE crazyBLUE is offline
Moderator
 
crazyBLUE's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest
89
479
1
38
30
Default

Big Daddy

I want to add a volume control to my 2 smaller subs. Can I just get another Pyramid ~ sea3000 electronic crossover network like I have for my transducer & use it for controlling the volume of the subs I have nearest me in the HT ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:37 AM   #58
Big Daddy Big Daddy is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Southern California
79
122
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyBLUE View Post
Big Daddy

I want to add a volume control to my 2 smaller subs. Can I just get another Pyramid ~ sea3000 electronic crossover network like I have for my transducer & use it for controlling the volume of the subs I have nearest me in the HT ?
Yes, you can do that. I have a Pyramid, a Pyle Pro, and a Hsu active crossovers/volume control that I use on passive subs. Only one of my subwoofers is powered.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:45 AM   #59
crazyBLUE crazyBLUE is offline
Moderator
 
crazyBLUE's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest
89
479
1
38
30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
Yes, you can do that. I have a Pyramid, a Pyle Pro, and a Hsu active crossovers/volume control that I use on passive subs. Only one of my subwoofers is powered.
Thanks as always BD

Just to make sure ~ Set it the same as the one I have & let the receiver handle the crossover for them ~ correct ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:48 AM   #60
Big Daddy Big Daddy is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Southern California
79
122
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyBLUE View Post
Thanks as always BD

Just to make sure ~ Set it the same as the one I have & let the receiver handle the crossover for them ~ correct ?
The Pyramid and Pyle pro are stereo and can control two subwoofers, but the volume will not be independent. The setup is like your transducer. You bypass the crossover and set it in the receiver.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
Sony STR DH-700 Crossover settings Receivers nautica250 18 02-20-2010 11:44 PM
Crossover Settings? Subwoofers JckToWN10 10 09-23-2009 10:18 PM
Crossover settings?!? Subwoofers azereus 40 07-27-2009 05:42 PM
Crossover Settings Help Please! Audio Theory and Discussion p8ntballah21 7 06-10-2009 07:48 PM
Help with crossover settings (onkyo 605) Audio Theory and Discussion sinister184 2 03-15-2009 04:37 PM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:38 AM.