Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Suspiria 4K (Blu-ray)
$51.29
12 hrs ago
Psycho: Complete 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$42.74
9 hrs ago
Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Ultraseven: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$27.99
23 hrs ago
The Bourne Classified Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$164.99

It: Chapter Two 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$71.07

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Old 01-24-2009, 09:40 PM   #41

Dec 2008

i just found the f12 for $170. i'm about to buy it - anyone want to talk me down from the ledge?
Old 01-24-2009, 10:42 PM   #42
Special Member

Feb 2008
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Street View Post
there is a Alpine wholesale store that sells BIC speakers and they sell the VK-12 for $299 as a everyday price and that includes tax
Do they have a website? Hook a brother up!!
Old 01-26-2009, 05:49 AM   #43

Dec 2008

well, it's a done deal. the bic F12 is on its way, even though i'm not 100% sure it has an LFE input, since there's not a single picture of the back anywhere on the net...

if there isn't, do i send my sub cable from the receiver pre-amp and split it to two rca inputs? i'd like to not buy another cable - got the monster sub cable years ago and would love to just keep using it. what's the point of having a left/right input anyway on a one speaker sub?

i'll be testing it out on u-571 this weekend.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:31 PM   #44
Power Member

Feb 2008
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS3+HDDVD OWNER View Post
Do they have a website? Hook a brother up!!
actually it was a Kenwood outlet, idk why I said alpine. They don't have a website

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anscules View Post
well, it's a done deal. the bic F12 is on its way, even though i'm not 100% sure it has an LFE input, since there's not a single picture of the back anywhere on the net...

if there isn't, do i send my sub cable from the receiver pre-amp and split it to two rca inputs? i'd like to not buy another cable - got the monster sub cable years ago and would love to just keep using it. what's the point of having a left/right input anyway on a one speaker sub?

it should have a LFE, idk why it wouldn't
Old 01-28-2009, 01:38 PM   #45

Jan 2009

Quote:

It'll have LFE .. well, .. my BIC does
Old 01-29-2009, 12:26 AM   #46

Nov 2008

Got to my setup page to see the back of my f12.

https://www.blu-ray.com/community/ga...member=bacot11

It has a sub input, but only a mono input. So yah you're gonna have to use the sub pre-out from the receiver to get the best results. I personally love my f12. Of course thats coming from using a 8" yamaha sub for five years. I know I could have better, but dollar for dollar there really isn't anything better. I am sure you will enjoy it as much as I do mine.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:58 PM   #47

Dec 2008

cool, thanks for the link.

i have a question:

i have tried mixing settings from the received and sub, and while moments of bass are produced wonderfully (bass guitars, sauron's demise from the prologue of fellowship, opening credits of blade runner), when the sub is not "in the mix," i'm getting a very distracting bassy "tap-tap-tap," like isolated mini-rumbles. right now my son is watching a film from the sixties with a very basic soundtrack, and the F12 is just tapping randomly away in there.

i have it connected to a pioneer receiver, from the sub-pre-amp out to lfe input via aforementioned monster sub cable.

i'm at a loss.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #48
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2008
Milwaukee, WI

Quote:
cool, thanks for the link.

i have a question:

i have tried mixing settings from the received and sub, and while moments of bass are produced wonderfully (bass guitars, sauron's demise from the prologue of fellowship, opening credits of blade runner), when the sub is not "in the mix," i'm getting a very distracting bassy "tap-tap-tap," like isolated mini-rumbles. right now my son is watching a film from the sixties with a very basic soundtrack, and the F12 is just tapping randomly away in there.

i have it connected to a pioneer receiver, from the sub-pre-amp out to lfe input via aforementioned monster sub cable.

i'm at a loss.
What are your settings at? Have you done any mic calibration? Sounds like the gain just needs to be turned down a hair. It's probably just a bit too loud.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:11 AM   #49

Dec 2008

i don't know what a mic calibration is -- that might be a problem. i don't think it's too loud - i can turn it down and it will still be there.

gain? i know what that is in videography, but not in audio. please enlighten...
Old 02-02-2009, 06:07 AM   #50
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
i don't know what a mic calibration is -- that might be a problem. i don't think it's too loud - i can turn it down and it will still be there.

gain? i know what that is in videography, but not in audio. please enlighten...
I hope I understood your question correctly.

Most new receivers include a Microphone that you can use to calibrate your speakers so that they have the same sound level. Alternatively, you can buy an SPL meter to do this.

Modern receivers have calibration programs inside their menu where you can increase/decrease the level of all speakers, including the subwoofer. The levels are in decibels (db). For example, if the subwoofer gain is +4db, you can lower it to +2 db.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:32 AM   #51

Dec 2008

ooooohhhh. yeah, i have that. just didn't know it was called "gain." the F12 is at +4... i had lowered it from +8 (my old setting - part of the reason i blew it up...). it's still there. i'll try zero db.

thanks for helping, guys. i have had several responses from you, and zero from bic in the same time period. danke!
Old 02-03-2009, 01:33 AM   #52

Dec 2008

preliminary results: down to -10 db, bass "tapping" no longer seems random and constant, but now follows anything that might be "happening" in the soundscape... it doesn't happen when there's enough to do (active bass from drums or guitars), but for instance, i was just listening to a piano solo, and the tapping accompanied each strike of the key - any key. right now i have lute music playing, and i'm getting a tiny, tight bass punch with every big note...

q: what do i do if the gain won't go below -10?

a: get a new receiver.

hopefully i have other options. i don't feel like upgrading anything else.

although the tv was just paid off a year before interest was to kick in... sweet.

Last edited by Anscules; 02-03-2009 at 01:36 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:14 AM   #53

Nov 2008

You may want to check the receiver selection switch on the back of your F12. The switch will tell the sub what kind of receiver you have. If you have an older model move the switch to pro logic mode, and the controls on the sub will be what you use to tune the sub without interferance from the receiver. If you have a newer model (i.e one with digital inputs like optical or hdmi) set the switch to dolby digital 5.1/7.1. This will bypass all the controls on the sub except for the gain. Allowing your receiver to have more control over your sub. This should solve your problem as it sounds like the sub and your receiver aren't shaking hands.

You could also check the phase of your sub, but I would try the receiver switch first. Read over your manual as it explains all this in more detail.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:21 AM   #54

Dec 2008

thanks to everyone who has pitched in to help me. things just got very strange tonight.

here's a re-cap of my strange tale:

recently, i blew my wimpy 120W 8-inch pioneer sub watching the police concert on bd. i had it up to near-concert levels and it made a horrendous farting noise. i turned it down, and at low volume, would work ok, but if stressed, it would begin flapping again.

an excuse to upgrade. i got a 450W 12 inch from bic america. i installed this one, and immediately heard a weird, bassy "tapping" that would accompany any sound, even something as innocuous as someone writing on a chalkboard. a little bass punch would quietly augment each strike of the chalk, or whatever other sound (things as unlikely as shrill voices, etc.)

i turned the gain way down, and it got a little better, but it's still intolerable. i tweaked all the sub settings, both on that sub and the receiver, hoping it would go away, and it did not.

finally, i contacted bic, and their guy said the amp was defective. send it to us, and we'll fix it, free of charge. they tell me how to pull it out.

well, the wires would not dislodge from the terminals, and i felt like i was going to break the circuit board. frustrated, i hooked my old sub back up to hold the line while i figure this nonsense out.

while watching something and working on the bic, it suddenly occurred to me that the bass tapping noise was now happening to my old sub.

???

so is it the bic, is it the cable, or is it the receiver? i certainly don't want to mail off my new amp when the same problem has been spread to the other speaker. i have no idea what's going on. but it's not like one machine can pass its cold to the other.

pioneer receiver
both subs were connected via LFE by a monster sub cable

Old 02-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #55
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2008
Milwaukee, WI

There's no way it should be getting any LFE on shrill voices. Is the tapping a physical noise (ie the sub bottoming out) or is it just the sub making a sound? Do you have an SPL meter or any mic calibration? Switching back and forth would require calibration.

What I'm wondering is if the Pio isn't messed up and sending incorrect information to the subs, or if maybe they're so cranked they're bottoming out. Might be a good idea to call Pioneer and see what they say.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #56

Dec 2008

i've talked to two speaker techs and they both agree that it seems like the pio rec. chose this moment in its life to become dysfuntional. which is annoying, bec. i was holding off on new speakers/rec for the new house we'll be moving into in the next two years. maybe i'll find a used rec that will work with the speakers i have before i go 7.1 with denon or something. just to get me by.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:49 PM   #57

Jan 2009

Just bumping the thread to say I totally dig my BIC!
Old 02-20-2009, 11:34 PM   #58
Power Member

Feb 2008
Denver, CO

I would have to agree, I was watching Horton Hears a Who last night and I felt like I was actually in the movie. BIC subs rock!
Old 04-04-2009, 03:12 AM   #59

Feb 2009

Quote:
i've talked to two speaker techs and they both agree that it seems like the pio rec. chose this moment in its life to become dysfuntional. which is annoying, bec. i was holding off on new speakers/rec for the new house we'll be moving into in the next two years. maybe i'll find a used rec that will work with the speakers i have before i go 7.1 with denon or something. just to get me by.
one VERY fundmental question that has not been asked...what's your crossover set to?
Old 04-26-2009, 04:21 PM   #60

Apr 2009
Default Acoustech Platinum Series PL-200

Does anyone know anything about this sub?

http://www.bicamerica.com/showpage.p...pe=8&spkrID=86

How does it compare to the H-100? Looks like you can pick it up from Sound Distributors for around $279. Opinions?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers