Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Suspiria 4K (Blu-ray)
$51.29
21 hrs ago
007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99
36 min ago
Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Psycho: Complete 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$42.74
19 hrs ago
Ultraseven: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$27.99

The Bourne Classified Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$164.99

Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$33.18

Ultraman Geed (Blu-ray)
$31.53
6 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Old 01-22-2009, 02:58 AM   #21
Super Moderator

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakool124 View Post
You can see pics on my HT gallery under my name.

Thanks!!!!
For some reason I thought it said zero, musta been looking at the collection...

Looks great!!!!
Old 01-22-2009, 04:08 AM   #22

Feb 2008
Philadelpha, PA
Send a message via ICQ to greatfoxmusic Send a message via AIM to greatfoxmusic Send a message via MSN to greatfoxmusic Send a message via Yahoo to greatfoxmusic

PB-Plus/2 here, in the textured black. Very capable with movies.
They don't make em anymore...
Old 01-22-2009, 06:29 AM   #23

Jan 2008
Melbourne, Australia

I will have my PB13-Ultra in under three months! Saving is hard, especially when a $1600 sub ends up costing $2900 in Australian dollars.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:41 AM   #24

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
How much does the sub weigh?
It weighs 155 lbs with the cloth grill. The metal grill weighs about (3-5 lbs - guessing here). However, according to the shipping documents, it weighed 198 lbs shipped. I ordered the metal grill, so it increased the shipping weight. Suffice it to say, with travertine flooring and rubber feet on the sub, I don't want to be moving it around much.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:57 AM   #25
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2007
Richmond, VA PSNetwork: MacDaddyOJack Trophy Level: 12(4%)

Quote:
I'm running dual PB13-Ultra's in my man cave.
Holy crap - I found myself turning my 20-39 PC+ down after I initially set it up so I can't even imagine having two ultras in one room

Great pics by the way!
Old 01-23-2009, 03:56 PM   #26
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
Texas

Quote:
Thanks for starting this thread on Blu-ray.com!!! I'm running dual PB13-Ultra's in my man cave. A well $3k spent w/ free shipping. I purchased them Nov/08 and replaced a single SVS PB12-ISD/2 with the NSD drivers. I thought the PB12 rocked but now with the PB13-Ultras, It's like "shock and awe"!!! They literally shake my pant legs and can feel the pressurized room in my hair and chest when watching movies ladened with bass. And that's even in a 3000 cu.ft. space. The scene where Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie shoot it out in their house in Mr. & Mrs. Smith, when Angelina switches to the silenced MP5 in full auto, there's some serious low bass when that thing fires. The big house breaker is the pod emerging scene in W.O.T.W's. I thought the subs would bottom out and I actually started to freak out a little but they didn't evn break a sweat. My 4 year old ran out of the room with his fingers in his ears!!!! Anyway...I want to end by saying I'll never own anything else but SVS. Their customer service is also impeccable!!!

I cannot imagine having two SVS pb13 Ultras. Whew! I have one and like you said, the pod scene in WOTW just shakes the room. The depth charges in U-571 are awesome. and the first battle scene is Master and Commander will amaze you. I have about 1500 cu.ft. in my theater, so I think one will be quite enough. Re; SVS.... I agree. SVS is a great company to do business with, and the pb13 ultra is a killer. BTW, your theater set up is kick *ss.

Last edited by Pirate King; 01-23-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:18 PM   #27
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay, Florida

I would love to try out an SVS along with my eD to see what turns out.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:20 PM   #28
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver_King View Post
I would love to try out an SVS along with my eD to see what turns out.
A good friend of mine has an eD sub, I can't remember which one but I know it's not the A2-300. While the eD is an impressive sub, I still much prefer my SVS.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:23 PM   #29
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay, Florida

Can you find out which one it was? Your sub is almost two times the cost of the A2-300...
Old 01-23-2009, 07:25 PM   #30
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver_King View Post
Can you find out which one it was? Your sub is almost two times the cost of the A2-300...
I realize that, but his was better than the A2-300. I don't think it was the same price as mine though. It is an impressive sub, no doubt about it. I just prefered the SVS.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:32 PM   #31
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay, Florida

Was it a 12"? Here are the subs that eD currently sells for home use. In any case, I want to try one out myself.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:43 PM   #32

Dec 2008
Rochester NY

Macdaddy,

How is your sub powered. I dont see an amp in your equipment listing. I am considering one of these since my current sub location is less than ideal because of space constaints. But without an amp i'm just confused
Old 01-24-2009, 01:04 AM   #33

Dec 2007

I plan on moving my new PB-13 Ultra to its final location this weekend and dialing it in. Besides getting the sub dialed in, I have a question on my speakers settings..

I've run Audessey and it set my crossovers as follows:
  • Mains: 80 Hz
  • Center: 100 Hz
  • Surrounds: 120 Hz

I'm using the following Mirage speakers with the noted specs:
  • Mains: OMD-15, frequency response: 33 - 20kHz
  • Center: OS3-CC, frequency response: 70 - 20kHz
  • Surrounds: OS3-SAT, frequency response: 70 - 20kHz

Is there an issue if I adjust my crossovers to the following after running Audessey?
  • Mains: 40 Hz
  • Center: 80 Hz
  • Surrounds: 80 Hz or 100 Hz

After adjusting the crossovers I plan on using an SPL meeter to fine tune the +/- db of the speakers to verify they match. Then I will fine tune the sub with the SPL meeter.

Do any of the experts on the forum see anything wrong with my approach and planned settings? ~Thanks!

**Moderator, if this post should be moved to another thread, please feel free to move it.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:13 AM   #34
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
I plan on moving my new PB-13 Ultra to its final location this weekend and dialing it in. Besides getting the sub dialed in, I have a question on my speakers settings..

I've run Audessey and it set my crossovers as follows:
  • Mains: 80 Hz
  • Center: 100 Hz
  • Surrounds: 120 Hz

I'm using the following Mirage speakers with the noted specs:
  • Mains: OMD-15, frequency response: 33 - 20kHz
  • Center: OS3-CC, frequency response: 70 - 20kHz
  • Surrounds: OS3-SAT, frequency response: 70 - 20kHz

Is there an issue if I adjust my crossovers to the following after running Audessey?
  • Mains: 40 Hz
  • Center: 80 Hz
  • Surrounds: 80 Hz or 100 Hz

After adjusting the crossovers I plan on using an SPL meeter to fine tune the +/- db of the speakers to verify they match. Then I will fine tune the sub with the SPL meeter.

Do any of the experts on the forum see anything wrong with my approach and planned settings? ~Thanks!
My recommendations:
Make sure the crossover on the back of the subwoofer is at its highest point. You set the crossover with your receiver.
Fronts: small, 60Hz
Center: small, 90Hz
Surrounds: small, 90Hz or 100Hz
Make sure the low-pass crossover setting in the receiver (not on the back of the sub) is as high as the highest frequency of the surrounds. Otherwise, you create an audio hole.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:30 AM   #35

Dec 2007

Big Daddy,

Audessey set my mains to large or big (can't remember exactly). What is the advantage of setting them to small?

When you say to set the receiver's low-pass crossover as high as the highest frequency of the surrounds, do you mean to set it at 80 Hz if the surrounds' crossover is set at 80 Hz and 100 Hz if the surrounds' crossover is set to 100 Hz? (Just want to make sure I understood your comment.)

I'm using a Denon AVR-3808Ci

I'm pretty new to all this dialing in and tweaking, so pardon me if I ask such elementary questions.

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2009, 01:47 AM   #36
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Big Daddy,

Audessey set my mains to large or big (can't remember exactly). What is the advantage of setting them to small?
If you set them to large, you normally cannot set the crossover frequency on the Denon receiver. Large means full-range.
Quote:
When you say to set the receiver's low-pass crossover as high as the highest frequency of the surrounds, do you mean to set it at 80 Hz if the surrounds' crossover is set at 80 Hz and 100 Hz if the surrounds' crossover is set to 100 Hz? (Just want to make sure I understood your comment.)
Yes, you understood it well.

Let us assume that in the receiver, you set the crossover for the sub to 80Hz and the crossover for the surrounds to 100Hz.

The sub crossover frequency is a Low-Pass crossover. It means that all frequencies above 80Hz are blocked and only frequencies below 80Hz go to the subwoofer.

The surround crossover is a High-Pass crossover. It means all frequencies below 100 Hz are blocked from the surrounds and are sent to the subwoofer. The surrounds can only accept frequencies above 100Hz.

What happens to the surround frequencies below 100hz? They go to the subwoofer, but the subwoofer will only accept frequencies below 80Hz. It will discard the frequencies between 80Hz and 100Hz. Where do they go? They go into this black audio hole next to all the socks that you have lost in a laundry machine.

It is true that crossover frequencies are not precise and gradually cut the frequecies above or below the cutoff point, but you will still have an audio hole.

Please read A Guide to Crossover Networks & Settings. The last section in the original post explains this.

Last edited by Big Daddy; 01-24-2009 at 02:24 AM.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:56 AM   #37

Dec 2007

Big Daddy,

Thank you so much for your responses. I really appreciate it.

~Dustin
Old 01-24-2009, 02:26 AM   #38
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Big Daddy,

Thank you so much for your responses. I really appreciate it.

~Dustin
In my previous post, there was a typo. I corrected it. It is highlighted. I originally had witten "above".
Old 01-24-2009, 05:38 AM   #39
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

See the review of SV Sound PB13-Ultra subwoofer in the Stereophile, August, 2008.

Conclusion:

Quote:
The SV Sound PB13-Ultra was most impressive for $1599, pumping out smooth, tuneful, distortion-free deep bass when the music called for it. Its built-in electronic crossover and single-band parametric equalizer made it as flexible as any subwoofer I've reviewed, and allowed me to quickly blend its output with that of my Quad ESL-989s to achieve clean, tight, solid bass with adequate pitch definition.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:52 AM   #40

Nov 2008
Everywhere

Quote:
Thanks for starting this thread on Blu-ray.com!!! I'm running dual PB13-Ultra's in my man cave. A well $3k spent w/ free shipping. I purchased them Nov/08 and replaced a single SVS PB12-ISD/2 with the NSD drivers. I thought the PB12 rocked but now with the PB13-Ultras, It's like "shock and awe"!!! They literally shake my pant legs and can feel the pressurized room in my hair and chest when watching movies ladened with bass. And that's even in a 3000 cu.ft. space. The scene where Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie shoot it out in their house in Mr. & Mrs. Smith, when Angelina switches to the silenced MP5 in full auto, there's some serious low bass when that thing fires. The big house breaker is the pod emerging scene in W.O.T.W's. I thought the subs would bottom out and I actually started to freak out a little but they didn't evn break a sweat. My 4 year old ran out of the room with his fingers in his ears!!!! Anyway...I want to end by saying I'll never own anything else but SVS. Their customer service is also impeccable!!!
thats cool I would get kicked out of my Condo
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers