Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$34.99
14 hrs ago
007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99

RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$35.49
16 hrs ago
The Fly Collection (Blu-ray)
$66.62
18 hrs ago
Suspiria 4K (Blu-ray)
$36.04

Ultraseven: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72
13 hrs ago
Psycho: Complete 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Ultraman Orb (Blu-ray)
$21.72

Ultraman Geed (Blu-ray)
$21.72

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Old 05-20-2009, 05:31 PM   #21

Aug 2007
Canada

I had a PSB SubSonic 6. I liked it but it started to rattle after a year of use.

I moved on to a Paradigm Servo v1 for about 2 years. Build quality was excellent but at about twice the cost of the PSB it didn't seem to have any more bass.

I traded it for a Paradigm Servo v2 which did have more bass than the v1 but at $2500 I tend to think it is overpriced.

The Servo 1 was wood veneer and the dealer promised me wood veneer on the v2. That was not available. So I bought the Signature Servo to get the "cool" look. It was about $3500. Overpriced for the acoustics you get -- it sounds identical to the Servo v2. However it is distinct and looks great.

Overall? I am pretty happy. But I think if you are worried about bang for the buck you can probably shop around and do better.

One more comment on the Signature Servo. I really wanted a dark brown colour to match the PSB speakers in my room (PSB "Cherry" colour). So I picked Rosenut (from the brochure). It has a lot of pattern to it but is not as nice looking as I had expected. I probably should have gone with cherry or the piano black. I see now that they have dropped Rosenut -- maybe I am the only one who bought one!

Last edited by David Craig; 05-20-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:38 PM   #22

Jun 2008
Toronto

Anybody rockin' the PDR series subs? I know they're the bottom of the Paradigm barrel, but budget constraints limited my choices. The rest of my speakers are Paradigm and I've always been happy, so I thought I'd stick with them. Now I have the bass to go along with my movies, but I'm having troubles getting it perfect. I'm not sure if I'm expecting too much from a budget sub in terms of definition and boominess - or if I've just not set it up properly (positioning, phase, volume, etc).

One of the tips I've read is to have the sub in the listening position then crawl around the room until the bass sounds "right" and place it there. To clarify, should you place the sub ON the couch? Or move the couch? I'd think the couch would affect room acoustics, so moving it doesn't make sense (to me) - but I also don't know if the bass would be affected by sitting it on the couch instead.
Any help for a bass rookie?

Cheers & thanks!
Old 05-20-2009, 07:00 PM   #23
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2008
Milwaukee, WI

I would think having it along the side wall like you do is affecting performance. Try the front wall.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:18 PM   #24

Jun 2008
Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis109 View Post
I would think having it along the side wall like you do is affecting performance. Try the front wall.
Actually, I have it at the front now - that picture's a little old. Which location do you think would be more likely to result in 'boomy' bass? I've read that close to a wall or corner will result in louder bass - not sure what'll give you cleaner bass though (other than a more expensive sub )...
Old 05-20-2009, 10:50 PM   #25
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay, Florida

As long as the port is not facing the rear wall (if you even have a port on that sub), and the sub isn't directly on the corner or wall, you should be fine.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #26

Jun 2008
Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver_King View Post
As long as the port is not facing the rear wall (if you even have a port on that sub), and the sub isn't directly on the corner or wall, you should be fine.
Yeah yeah, smartazs It does have a port ... in the rear, facing the wall. Maybe I'll give it a shot with the sub sideways (port firing along the wall instead of into it). Aesthetically it wouldn't look as 'clean', but if the sound improves then I'd be willing to live with it.
Thanks for the tip!
Old 05-21-2009, 09:02 PM   #27

Jun 2008
Toronto

So, I stopped by the HT store where I bought the sub and chatted with the guy. 2 things I have now changed - I had the cross-over setting set to Variable and trying to set it manually. Found out that with the speakers set to Small in the receiver, I should have the sub set to Bypass - thereby allowing the receiver to decide what signal goes where.
I also moved the sub away from the front wall and closer to the left wall.

These combined seemed to improve things a fair bit. Tried the beginning of the Ironman vs Ironmonger battle & some of a U2 concert (on DVD) and noticed some better definition. Woohoo

Of course, it's no Servo ... but it works for me
Old 05-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #28

May 2009
illinois

looky what showed up yesterday!

hehehehehehe!
Old 05-27-2009, 09:22 PM   #29
Expert Member

Nov 2008
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny z View Post

hehehehehehe!
Tell me how it sounds i'm looking at upgrading my pw-2200.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:03 AM   #30

Jun 2008
Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny z View Post
What? You ordered an Eagles CD?

Old 05-28-2009, 02:35 AM   #31

May 2009
illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by derelicte View Post
What? You ordered an Eagles CD?

yessir - and i think it needs a twin for the other side!

twitch - i will let you know my thoughts after i have some "alone time" with it. so far i've just been watching tv with it as my wife is home and i don't want to give it a good workout for the first time while she's here. i will say, though, so far it sounds amazing. definitely hearing and feeling low-end that i never knew was there before. keep in mind i am coming from a small 8" onkyo 100w sub! it seems very musical based on some music my wife had on while cooking. i haven't done any tuning and it seems to blend in very well. tomorrow i will run the audessey drill and watch a movie while she is working. can't wait.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:32 PM   #32
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

Yeah it's always nice to go from an 8" sub to a really good one. I had an 8" 100W JBL sub before I went to the Servo 15v2 - blew my mind what an amazing difference it was. The old sub let me hear bass, the new one turned each kick drum, bass slap, explosion, jet engine, etc., into a visceral experience.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:36 PM   #33
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2008
Milwaukee, WI

Be careful! You'll lose the CD in that port hole! Awesome looking sub!
Old 05-28-2009, 11:36 PM   #34

May 2009
illinois

ok - i am about 1/2-way through dark knight and let me tell you ... this is one serious subwoofer! i'm not really acustomed to how one would describe a subwoofer in terms of reference as you would a speaker pair, but it has changed my modest theatre setup for sure!
Old 05-31-2009, 03:10 AM   #35
Special Member

Feb 2009
Douglassville, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluCheez View Post
Ha! If I even mention the word "upgrade" my wife will kill me!
I have the PSW-1000 also as my second sub. That thing is a real workhorse! I was surprised because I picked it up pretty cheap from a guy on CL, well worth the money!
Old 05-31-2009, 05:04 AM   #36

Aug 2008
Winnipeg, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyG View Post
I have the PSW-1000 also as my second sub. That thing is a real workhorse! I was surprised because I picked it up pretty cheap from a guy on CL, well worth the money!
I just purchased a Auralex SubDude HD to go under the sub. I've heard great things about this product. Hopefully it will reduce the window rattling and tighten up the base. I presently have the sub sitting on a hardwood floor above my basement. (The SubDude should arrive Tuesday via FedEx. I'll update everyone once I've tested it out.)

I have been enjoying the sub. When I purchased it I was a complete audio newbie. If I could do it all again I might have gone another way... Then again, I only had so much $$ to spend! I went from watching movies on my laptop to a "complete" home theatre. $10 000 goes a long way, but not when you realize what you could have had. Oh, well... coulda, woulda, shoulda... It is hard to be content when A/V becomes a hobbie.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:29 PM   #37
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluCheez View Post
I just purchased a Auralex SubDude HD to go under the sub. I've heard great things about this product. Hopefully it will reduce the window rattling and tighten up the base.
Definitely should help with that - I had to go with a Gramma to fit under the Servo and I've noticed much better bass response when using my demo scenes now than I did when the Servo was just on the floor.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:30 AM   #38
Power Member

May 2008
St. Catharines ONT

[QUOTE=derelicte;1926497]Anybody rockin' the PDR series subs? I know they're the bottom of the Paradigm barrel, but budget constraints limited my choices. The rest of my speakers are Paradigm and I've always been happy, so I thought I'd stick with them. Now I have the bass to go along with my movies, but I'm having troubles getting it perfect. I'm not sure if I'm expecting too much from a budget sub in terms of definition and boominess - or if I've just not set it up properly (positioning, phase, volume, etc).

One of the tips I've read is to have the sub in the listening position then crawl around the room until the bass sounds "right" and place it there. To clarify, should you place the sub ON the couch? Or move the couch? I'd think the couch would affect room acoustics, so moving it doesn't make sense (to me) - but I also don't know if the bass would be affected by sitting it on the couch instead.

Ive heard good things about the PDR series.
There was a time back that i was looking at them but when the DSP series came out i just went with them.

I have two subs,Which i find is better then one.
One placed on the left of my TV and one placed on my right.For myself i get the best result this way.I have no complaints
Old 06-01-2009, 12:31 AM   #39
Power Member

May 2008
St. Catharines ONT

[QUOTE=derelicte;1926497]Anybody rockin' the PDR series subs? I know they're the bottom of the Paradigm barrel, but budget constraints limited my choices. The rest of my speakers are Paradigm and I've always been happy, so I thought I'd stick with them. Now I have the bass to go along with my movies, but I'm having troubles getting it perfect. I'm not sure if I'm expecting too much from a budget sub in terms of definition and boominess - or if I've just not set it up properly (positioning, phase, volume, etc).

Don't get confussed my friend

There was a time back that i was looking at them but when the DSP series came out i just went with them.

One placed on the left of my TV and one placed on my right.For myself i get the best result this way.I have no complaints
Old 06-01-2009, 12:45 AM   #40
Special Member

Feb 2009
Douglassville, PA

[QUOTE=ozzman;1960445]
Quote:
Originally Posted by derelicte View Post
Anybody rockin' the PDR series subs? I know they're the bottom of the Paradigm barrel, but budget constraints limited my choices. The rest of my speakers are Paradigm and I've always been happy, so I thought I'd stick with them. Now I have the bass to go along with my movies, but I'm having troubles getting it perfect. I'm not sure if I'm expecting too much from a budget sub in terms of definition and boominess - or if I've just not set it up properly (positioning, phase, volume, etc).

Don't get confussed my friend

Ozzman, how is the 3100? Very hard hitting? I'm looking at picking one up for another room.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers