Best PS4 Game Deals

Cyber Monday Deals are Now Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint (PS4)
$19.99

Samurai Shodown (PS4)
$29.99
7 hrs ago
Borderlands 3 (PS4)
$34.99

Need for Speed Heat (PS4)
$35.99

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (PS4)
$59.88

The Outer Worlds (PS4)
$39.99

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (PS4)
$49.94

Starlink: Battle for Atlas Starter Pack (PS4)
$9.99
11 hrs ago
Code Vein (PS4)
$37.18

WWE 2K20 (PS4)
$62.59

Catherine: Full Body (PS4)
$29.99

Borderlands 3 (PS4)
$79.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation

Old 04-21-2019, 06:26 AM   #1

Mar 2018
Default Why didn't Sony make the PlayStation Classic better?

Like probably most people, I was perplexed by the PlayStation Classic's 20 games.

Tomb Raider, Crash Bandicoot, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil 2 and 3, Silent Hill, and other classics were blatantly missing. Instead, it included many titles that are mediocre.

The main menu lacked music, and had hardly any options. I think the lack of main menu music was what really did it for me. If they couldn't even add catchy music to the main menu, they must care little about the system, I thought.

The PS Classic is plagued by bizarre choices on Sony's part. You have Twisted Metal, but no Twisted Metal 2 (one of the best Twisted Metal games). People don't want to see that. They want to have the superior sequel to a series as well, to help complete the collection. The same can be said for Rainbow Six. Rogue Spear is a superior sequel, absent from the system, despite being on the PS. I think many people would've been pleased to see Rogue Spear there, from a completionist and collector standpoint at the least.

PS Classic does have bright parts. It has Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil 1, Grand Theft Auto 1, Syphon Filter, Tekken 3, Final Fantasy VII, Twisted Metal 1, etc. But the system is too lacking and bizarre otherwise. It should have the best Tomb Raider games on PS, and all the rest I mentioned.

What happened? How come it's so lacking? Is this because of licensing issues? Or did Sony just not care enough to make it great? Was it rushed or something? The NES Classic and SNES Classic are rightly praised, because they pretty much represent the best of the NES and SNES. What happened with the PS Classic?
Old 04-27-2019, 11:58 AM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7q3 View Post
Like probably most people, I was perplexed by the PlayStation Classic's 20 games.

Tomb Raider, Crash Bandicoot, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil 2 and 3, Silent Hill, and other classics were blatantly missing. Instead, it included many titles that are mediocre.

The main menu lacked music, and had hardly any options. I think the lack of main menu music was what really did it for me. If they couldn't even add catchy music to the main menu, they must care little about the system, I thought.

The PS Classic is plagued by bizarre choices on Sony's part. You have Twisted Metal, but no Twisted Metal 2 (one of the best Twisted Metal games). People don't want to see that. They want to have the superior sequel to a series as well, to help complete the collection. The same can be said for Rainbow Six. Rogue Spear is a superior sequel, absent from the system, despite being on the PS. I think many people would've been pleased to see Rogue Spear there, from a completionist and collector standpoint at the least.

PS Classic does have bright parts. It has Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil 1, Grand Theft Auto 1, Syphon Filter, Tekken 3, Final Fantasy VII, Twisted Metal 1, etc. But the system is too lacking and bizarre otherwise. It should have the best Tomb Raider games on PS, and all the rest I mentioned.

What happened? How come it's so lacking? Is this because of licensing issues? Or did Sony just not care enough to make it great? Was it rushed or something? The NES Classic and SNES Classic are rightly praised, because they pretty much represent the best of the NES and SNES. What happened with the PS Classic?
The only thing that come to mind is it could be a rights issue, maybe the publisher of the game wanted to much money for the rights. I can only hazard a guess as to why Crash Bandicoot was not on the PS Classic but it would be that Crash Bandicoot The N'Sane Trilogy was coming out for the PS4 and X-Box One around that time.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:04 PM   #3
Power Member

Jan 2019

The games are not even remotely the issue. The controller is garbage and the performance is terrible. Even if had the best games it would still be poop.
Thanks given by:
Wingman1977 (05-01-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 11:43 AM   #4
Banned

Jun 2019

They should have to put more games collection to it, as there is no optical storage on the console, it only had 20 pre-builtin games they have chosen the best titles but not really they should have made 50 games collection so the buyer can play a wide variety of games.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:25 PM   #5
Special Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_evan78 View Post
They should have to put more games collection to it, as there is no optical storage on the console, it only had 20 pre-builtin games they have chosen the best titles but not really they should have made 50 games collection so the buyer can play a wide variety of games.
Unlike Nintendo with their classic consoles, Sony doesn't own most of Playstation's best games. They had to license each game from the publisher. Therefore including more than 20 games would have drastically increased the price.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:33 PM   #6

Dec 2018

If the emulation at least would ran smoothly. Then I would not even complain about the game selection. Because you "can do something" in that case.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation