Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Swamp Thing: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$25.07
6 hrs ago
The Lighthouse (Blu-ray)
$19.99
2 hrs ago
Shrek: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Castle Rock: The Complete First Season 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96
5 hrs ago
Knives Out 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Apocalypse Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.27

Back to the Future: 30th Anniversary Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Batman Beyond: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$60.99

Friday the 13th: 8-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 07:24 PM   #1
Power Member

Aug 2016
California
Default Your thoughts on scalping/flipping items?

Without pointing fingers, I saw a video with a YouTuber heading out to various stores buying up all the product of this "new" "limited" release -- with the clear intent to flip it and make a profit. What's your take on this? I know it's the norm now.

I'm of the mindset that if you want to drive around to every single Target, Walmart and Best Buy to buy a bunch of something in order to sell it for a profit and you have the time and means to do it, go for it... BUT! There should be some kind of limit per store.

For example, let's say Marvel comes out with Black Series figures of all the Avengers. Every store gets a general stock of all the characters, but Target gets a limited version of Iron-Man, Walmart gets a limit version of Captain America, etc, etc. In my opinion those limited versions should be limited to 1 or 2 a person. There's no reason why someone should be able to walk in and buy the whole stock of a limited release just because they can.

Thanks given by:
Scarriere (09-03-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 09:22 PM   #2
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2013

Occassionally I will buy one extra copy to sell but it has to really be worth my time. After fees and shipping, unless I double my money then it isn't worthwhile. I do buy a lot of out of print releases for $20 to $50 and then flip them for $100+ depending on the title.

The resellers of Funkos and limited ed releases like Steelbooks are stupid. They're making like $5 bucks after eBay and PayPal take their cut. Maybe if I didn't have a job and were desperate for cash but I doubt it.

Old 09-03-2019, 01:59 AM   #3
Power Member

Sep 2011
London, Ontario, Canada

I have no respect for these people. I also have no respect for people that buy from them. They are just as bad because they're the reason scalpers exist. They wouldn't buy stuff if they couldn't sell it.

Thanks given by:
Monterey Jack (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 05:59 AM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2011
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyloren View Post
Without pointing fingers, I saw a video with a YouTuber heading out to various stores buying up all the product of this "new" "limited" release -- with the clear intent to flip it and make a profit. What's your take on this? I know it's the norm now.

I'm of the mindset that if you want to drive around to every single Target, Walmart and Best Buy to buy a bunch of something in order to sell it for a profit and you have the time and means to do it, go for it... BUT! There should be some kind of limit per store.

For example, let's say Marvel comes out with Black Series figures of all the Avengers. Every store gets a general stock of all the characters, but Target gets a limited version of Iron-Man, Walmart gets a limit version of Captain America, etc, etc. In my opinion those limited versions should be limited to 1 or 2 a person. There's no reason why someone should be able to walk in and buy the whole stock of a limited release just because they can.
while not a totally bad idea, that'd be up to the stores to set those parameters. and if there are no parameters, then people will continue to buy all they can to later sell at a higher price and make a profit.

it may be immoral, but it's not illegal (in most places). once you purchase something, you can do with it as you wish, as long as it's legal. and reselling something at a higher price is not illegal. and as long as there are people who are willing to pay those prices, there will always be people selling at those prices. buyers drive the price. if they continue to pay higher and higher prices, then the seller will continue to raise the prices until it reaches a maximum at which people are willing to pay.

but it does suck for those that can't get to the store at open on release day to pick one up. if they get there later in the day or the next day or the next week, then they may be out of luck on finding what they're looking for. some people know this and they take advantage. but again, if people are willing to pay higher prices, others are willing to sell at those prices.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:44 AM   #5
Power Member

Jun 2011
Little Chute, WI

If you have access to the merchandise and the funds to spend, you have every right to buy as much you are able and do with it as you wish. Generally I’m buying two, keeping one and reselling the extra to cover the costs of my item, so I aim to only bother reselling if I can expect to double my money - or if I’m buying more than two, being able to make enough collectively to end up even as nothing out of pocket.

People like to bash resellers, I get the frustration when you can’t something limited you want, but it all comes from a place of jealously. Most will do the same if they have the opportunity, no matter how much they deny it and act holier-than-thou.

I put in A LOT of work every year to make sure I secure Neca SDCC exclusives, work that a lot of people aren’t willing to do. As a result if I’m able to grab an extra set or two of a hot item, I’m jumping at it and using it to my benefit. If that makes me the bad guy, I’ll be the bad guy.

Thanks given by:
InuYashaCrusade (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 08:27 AM   #6
Power Member

Sep 2011
London, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adcatalano View Post
If you have access to the merchandise and the funds to spend, you have every right to buy as much you are able and do with it as you wish. Generally I知 buying two, keeping one and reselling the extra to cover the costs of my item, so I aim to only bother reselling if I can expect to double my money - or if I知 buying more than two, being able to make enough collectively to end up even as nothing out of pocket.

People like to bash resellers, I get the frustration when you can稚 something limited you want, but it all comes from a place of jealously. Most will do the same if they have the opportunity, no matter how much they deny it and act holier-than-thou.

I put in A LOT of work every year to make sure I secure Neca SDCC exclusives, work that a lot of people aren稚 willing to do. As a result if I知 able to grab an extra set or two of a hot item, I知 jumping at it and using it to my benefit. If that makes me the bad guy, I値l be the bad guy.
My disrespect for people like you has nothing to do with jealousy. I've had opportunities to buy more than I needed but I didn't...and I never would.

Thanks given by:
Wingman1977 (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 08:40 AM   #7
Power Member

Aug 2016
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by adcatalano View Post
if you have access to the merchandise and the funds to spend, you have every right to buy as much you are able and do with it as you wish. Generally i’m buying two, keeping one and reselling the extra to cover the costs of my item, so i aim to only bother reselling if i can expect to double my money - or if i’m buying more than two, being able to make enough collectively to end up even as nothing out of pocket.

People like to bash resellers, i get the frustration when you can’t something limited you want, but it all comes from a place of jealously. Most will do the same if they have the opportunity, no matter how much they deny it and act holier-than-thou.

I put in a lot of work every year to make sure i secure neca sdcc exclusives, work that a lot of people aren’t willing to do. As a result if i’m able to grab an extra set or two of a hot item, i’m jumping at it and using it to my benefit. If that makes me the bad guy, i’ll be the bad guy.
I'm actually on the side of the reseller for the most part, waiting in line for hours to nab up exclusives at SDCC or sitting in the cold all night to get that exclusive/rare gaming console that you can resell for double the price. I get it and I don't bash it at all -- your putting in the work. I just think (in certain circumstances) there should be some kind of limit depending on demand of an item.

The only time I've ever got upset about the resell game was this last Black Friday with that Spider-Man PS4 bundle -- the one that was $200. I didn't do the research to realize that these were going to be GONE IMMEDIATELY. These stores have a boat load of consoles every year and I was oblivious to the hype.

Anyways... I ate Thanksgiving dinner with my family and then headed over to Best Buy a few hours after it opened. Not only were there no more on the floor, but two guys had six of them in their cart and another couple had three in theirs. I think people were flipping those for $300+ so that's a decent profit... I get it. I just wanted one...

Sometimes it looks ugly, especially during the holiday shopping season.

Last edited by kyloren; 09-03-2019 at 08:46 AM.

Thanks given by:
Lemmy Lugosi (09-06-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 10:39 AM   #8

Dec 2009

Flipping and scalping is not allowed here. The promotion of it is frowned uponed, take that crap to SD.

Thanks given by:
Leonidas_King (09-04-2019), Wingman1977 (09-03-2019)
Closed Thread
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat